Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Cambridge UK)

Britain's Royal Families: The Complete Genealogy
Britain's Royal Families: The Complete Genealogy
by Alison Weir

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent resource, 22 Sept. 2010
I read a lot of historical fiction and often the books can have a royal cast of thousands. This book has been a great aid to sorting out who's who and who's related to who. In particular, I think I may finally understand the complexity of the relationships of the Yorks and Lancastrians! An inspired work of reference.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2011 4:16 AM GMT

Here be Dragons
Here be Dragons
by Sharon Penman

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare to immerse yourself!, 1 April 2010
This review is from: Here be Dragons (Paperback)
As an occasional reader of historical fiction I shy away from the overly romantic/chic lit variety. Ms Penman manages to combine a thorough knowledge of historical 'fact' with quite brilliant storytelling technique; yes, romance is there but only as an essential component to the story itself. This is NOT sugary sweet bodice ripping stuff it is intelligent and credible literature.

I knew little of the middles ages when I started the book and am now desperate to know more, particularly in relation to the Welsh princes and to King John. What could be a dry recounting of a bit of history has been unfolded into an epic tale of family, feuds, friendships, love and loyalty whilst the politics and military battles are cleverly interwoven.

The handling of Joanna's relationships with her father and husband is masterful. As a reader I too was torn in half about how I felt about John - desperate to point out his values whilst having to acknowledge his darkness. A good case for psychoanalysis, I'd say!

All in all, those dry old characters from long ago have been given a lease of life I didn't think was possible and I have an overwhelming need to know more. For now the housework needs doing before I delve into Falls the Shadow and submit myself to next bit of the 13th century whilst the laundry piles up and the kids get ignored.

You Can Be Thin: The Ultimate Programme to End Dieting...Forever
You Can Be Thin: The Ultimate Programme to End Dieting...Forever
by Marisa Peer

5.0 out of 5 stars inspirational on many levels, 19 Feb. 2008
Like many other reviewers this book started working for me from the first chapter. I am now six weeks on from starting the book, 9lbs lighter, a better shape but most importantly my whole perspective on life is more positive. From the first few pages Ms Peer teaches you how to feel better about yourself and with this focus there's no end to what you can achieve.