Profile for Vicious > Reviews

Content by Vicious

Vicious

Remembering the Kanji 1: A Complete Course on How Not To Forget the Meaning and Writing of Japanese Characters
by James W. Heisig

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it!, 16 Mar. 2012
Truly a great buy if you're just starting out to learn Kanji. I've only had the book about 2 and a half weeks now but I've already memorised just over 100 primitives just from casual reading and practicing in my spare time, on the train, or even during quiet moments at work or at lunch times. This book's strong point is definitely more about teaching you HOW to remember the characters, and how to retain them in your long term memory using imaginative stories and imagery. The author's approach to tackling the great challenge of learning Kanji is almost the complete opposite of how it's traditionally taught in launguage schools, which was originally how I had approached the issue; by simply trying to force my brain to remember one Kanji after another by trying to memorise every reading, and stroke order. As predicted, I could remember a number of them, but after learning more and more, I'd very rapidly forget the previous ones. This book's approach is very simple and basic, almost child-like, but nonetheless very effective in stimulating your long-term memory.

I've yet to actually begin with the 'heavy' stuff, but I can already notice the benefits from the techniques and ilttle tips and tricks that this book provides. Although I found it interesting, before this book, I found Kanji extremly tedious and very laborous. Now quite the contrary, I actually enjoy learning more and more. This book has made it fascinating and, definitely more of a fun challenge to try and test what you've learnt using the techniques the book employs.

Just as my personal recommendation, this book should be used side-by-side with Anki, a free downloadable program which acts like digital flashcards. It's extremely useful in testing yourself and guaging your progress. Coincidentally, this book is actually supported by Anki! That means you can download the Anki setting for this book, which will allow you to practice and test yourself at the same pace as the book!

Even though mine is a second hand copy, and a little worn, it's still definitely worth the money. If you're serious about learning Kanji, then I say this book is a definitely a worthwhile investment!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2012 3:13 PM BST

Comtrend Powerline Ethernet Adapter with Filter
Comtrend Powerline Ethernet Adapter with Filter
Offered by NETWORK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, simple, straight forward., 3 Mar. 2011
Great product! It couldn't have been simpler to set up. Just plugged in one end downstairs to my router, plugged the other one upstairs to my PS3, and POW, no more lags with online gaming. Definitely worth the money. Just one little note to interested buyers...it only comes with one ethernet cable, and pretty short too, so you may want to buy some longer ones with it just to make life a bit easier. Highly recommended if like me, you don't have easy access to your router.