Profile for Nicky T > Reviews

Nicky T (UK)

Macadamia Flawless 6-in-1 250ml
Macadamia Flawless 6-in-1 250ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 19 Sep 2014
I have recently read a couple of articles about "cleansing conditioners" in magazines, and thought they sounded great as they are promoted as natural products, oil based, gentle cleansing, an alternative to loading your hair up with synthetic chemicals. After reading a couple of reviews I ordered this one as it seemed appropriate for my hair type (thick, coarse, slightly wavey).
I was very taken aback when the product turned up. I wasn't expecting it to be an aerosol / mousse (I guess in hindsight you can see in the picture that is it, but I thought it was a pump top similar to that found on shower gel, or liquid handsoap). This format seems totally at odds with the "natural, non-synthetic" message. I haven't used hair mousse since the late 1990s and I wasn't planning on using it ever again. I know the contents are different, but it is still completely unnatural in terms of delivery, and for some reason still has that strange, overly sweet background smell that I associate with styling products that come in mousse format. I've tried it out, and my hair looks ok, to be fair, but I can make it look good with my usual application of shampoo, conditioner and styling products. I bought this because I thought I was buying into a more natural haircare solution, which this clearly isn't. I will try other cleansing conditioners, but I guess I be a bit more careful in reading the product description next time.

Peter Kay Double Bumper Comedy Compilation [DVD]
Peter Kay Double Bumper Comedy Compilation [DVD]

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 26 May 2014
I was expecting footage of the best bits of his stand up shows, not a load of nonentities describing what they find funny, interspersed with the odd Peter Kay clip.
Total waste of money. We kept re-reading the box and dvd menus to see if we'd missed the main feature, as all of it just felt like DVD extras.

"Snug" Mink Winter Thermal DOOR Curtain - HEAVYWEIGHT CHENILLE - INCLUDES TIEBACK- Prevents Heat Loss, Reduces Draughts, Saves Energy.
Offered by The Linen Depot

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for., 22 Feb 2014
I don't have a problem with these curtains, they arrived on time, they were as described (except the colour was a bit more pinkish than I was expecting, given it was described as "Latte"), and that's about it.
However I do have issue with the reviews on here that describe them as "thick", "luxurious", "look much more expensive than they are"... The curtain is cheap - it looks cheap and it feels cheap. If you want a cheap curtain then this is fine.

Chasing Harry Winston
Chasing Harry Winston

1.0 out of 5 stars absolute drivel, 15 Nov 2013
There is absolutely nothing to like about this book. There was no story, the characters were one-dimensional, and worse, dislikeable. It was just boring, a total non-event. There was no effort made with the writing, the few elements that might have developed interestingly (e.g. editing Jesse's book) were just glossed over and left. Just a really sloppy, lazy and pointless book.
Don't bother reading it.

The Other Half Lives (Culver Valley Crime)
The Other Half Lives (Culver Valley Crime)
by Sophie Hannah

3.0 out of 5 stars Great beginning... disappointing end, 8 Oct 2013
This is the first of Sophie Hannah's books I have read, and I was attracted by the reviews and synopsis on the back cover. For the first half of the book I was utterly gripped. I wanted to understand the characters, their pasts, and most of all the solution to the main mystery. I really thought I was going to be blown away by this book.

Unfortunately the last quarter or so of the story was a real let-down: A fairly implausible explanation, which was a real anti-climax given the big build up. Also the manner of the big "reveal"... i.e. all the details suddenly explained through the wild surmisings of various different characters. I found it hard to believe that they would suddenly have all these insights into the minds of the central characters and piece together the exact events from the past (it was also tortuously drawn out at this point, with each point laboured to death.)

I also had a big problem with the cottage scene. Without wanting to give the plot away, why would Ruth's assertion that the occupant was in danger lead that person to leave the cottage at her insistence (when that person was the perpetrator, and therefore would know there was no danger to themselves??) This bit made no sense whatsoever.

And finally, the last scene... still have no idea why this took place, and why such an effort was being made to make Len Smith change his story. This was supposed to be helping the people who had been wronged??? Didn't get it.

I may read another of Sophie's books, as the beginning was so promising, and other reviewers here have recommended her other work. However this one was a bit of a disappointment.

Joules Fur Slippers
Joules Fur Slippers
Price: £22.00 - £39.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 Feb 2013
This review is from: Joules Fur Slippers (Apparel)
A lovely, warm slipper which I was delighted to receive for Christmas. However after less than one month the sole had started to wear through in places. I managed to exchange them for another pair, and the same thing has happened in 3 weeks.
Note - the sole is NOT suede, it's a thin layer of material which quickly wears away.

Town & Country Tfw687 Classic Cloggies Green Size 10
Town & Country Tfw687 Classic Cloggies Green Size 10
Offered by Heritage Home and Garden

1.0 out of 5 stars Too small, 4 Feb 2013
Ordered these for my husband. He's a size 10, so I got an 11 to be on the "safe" side. Sizing was an absolute joke when they turned up - more like a size 8... can't be worn.

A Sword From Red Ice: Book 3 of the Sword of Shadows
A Sword From Red Ice: Book 3 of the Sword of Shadows
by J. V. Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars Feeling totally disillusioned.., 21 Sep 2009
You know the feeling... You find a really great fantasy trilogy and gallop through the first couple of books, only to realise the final instalment is not yet written. You wait a couple of years and finally, finally the last book comes out. You start reading with bated breath, slowly stretching it out, in delicious anticipation of the end of the story...

Then..

You get halfway through and realise the plot isn't really going anywhere... Start to wonder how on earth this is all going to be tied up in the remaining pages. Slowly suspicion sets in, and you reluctantly turn to the back, just to check. And there it is. "To be continued".

I can't tell you how fed up I am with this new fashion of short selling readers who are expecting a trilogy. The dollar signs must be gleaming in the publisher's eyes. They hook us in, whet our appetites, and then at the end serve us up a spun-out, flabby, unnecessary extra book (or if we're really unlucky two, three extra).

This is happening more and more lately, and I would like to say STOP. You are spoiling the books and alienating your readers.
I don't know if I will bother to read anything further by this author. Which is a shame, because she used to be really good.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2014 8:02 AM BST