Profile for lozzy > Reviews

lozzy

My Head is an Animal
My Head is an Animal
Price: 6.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Album - worth listening to on repeat!!!, 27 Oct 2012
This review is from: My Head is an Animal (Audio CD)
Am enjoying the current wave of upbeat folk and Of Monsters & Men is a great band with good camaradarie that comes through in their songs. Have seen them live a few times now and never tire of listening to them or watching them. Love this album - poetic and upbeat. Great songs - all of them! My fave is King and Lionheart but each one is a quality track - that I can personally listen to over and over again. I'm a bit old-school and enjoy listening to an album in its entirety and I can do that with this album without any urge to skip forward. Glad to see they're getting the recognition they deserve.

Prestige 14 Piece Knife Block Set
Prestige 14 Piece Knife Block Set
Offered by EasihomeCookshop
Price: 24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great set of knives below 30, 22 Jan 2012
Ok, about 8 years ago I bought a set of 5 titanium knives from a shopping channel. These knives promised to do all sorts of wondrous chopping and cutting things and I can honestly say that I've only ever been able to get on with one which is great for opening carboard boxes (from Amazon). The others - meh! And they cost a pretty penny too. Up until (and since) then I've been getting by very well with just one amazing Kitchen Devils knife that came with a chopping board that my mother bought me when I bought my first flat 18 years ago. Ok, so I've been pining for a decent (flashy) set of knives for some time, thinking that they'll help me create the dishes served up by Jamie, Gordon et al but realise that I'll be hard pressed to beat my Kitchen Devils bread knife (and I do use it every day and cook a lot). I saw the Prestige set 1/2 price in Sainsbury's at 25 and so went for it. I'm pleased. The quality seems good and having used at least three of them, I think I will use them all...maybe not the steak knives. To be honest I think the steak knives are a bit of a gimmick and are not up to the standard of a set I paid 8 for 15 years ago in Lidl and don't seem to be the same quality as the rest of the knives. The scissors are a bit tazzy too. But the rest, great. I won't put them in the dishwasher (having read a couple of reviews stating that they rust), I don't want to chance it. So, my advice is - if you need a full set including steak knives, buy them but only if they're less than 30. At that price they're great value. If you don't need steak knives or scissors I'd honestly buy them separately or pay for a better quality knife. If you've only a few pounds to spend, buy a Kitchen Devils bread knife. I honestly think that as lovely as these knives are I will keep going back to this knife (it cuts ANYTHING quickly, cleanly and sharply) and I've never had to sharpen it in all the time I've had it.

Omega Paw Roll'n Clean Self Cleaning Litter Box Regular
Omega Paw Roll'n Clean Self Cleaning Litter Box Regular
Price: 23.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, has stood the test of time, 27 Mar 2011
I have two of these. I started off with the regular size when my two cats were kittens and then progressed to the large size when they reached adulthood. It is a very good product, the best litter box my cats have used. The plastic is a soft plastic but I would not say that it is flimsy as another reviewer has stated. The mechanism works very well but it must be used with clumping cat litter and ideally leave it for a while to truly clump in order to get the best results. Four years on, my two cats are so big I've done away with the grill and tray and therefore the roll mechanism. It still works well with the clumping litter as the entrance is so large. But that's why I have given it four stars and not five. If the manufacturers would make a jumbo size then my two would be happy to use it with the grill entact (currently one sticks most of his body outside with a look of disdain on his face - a funny sight). Another reason for the four stars is that it could do with a door/flap..then it would be truly odourless. But a very good product, which when correctly used with clumping litter and the mat works excellently.

Acer Aspire One Happy 10.1 inch Netbook (Intel Atom N450 Processor, 1GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Wifi, Webcam, 8hrs battery life, Windows 7 Starter&Android) - Lavender Purple

2.0 out of 5 stars Keeps freezing, 10 Jan 2011
Bought the Happy Purple as a birthday present for a relative. They love it. It's dinky, it's cute and it's 'happy'...it's asthetically pleasing, although looks a little plasticky. As someone else has said, it fires up pretty quickly and again shuts down without any problems. BUT it gets hot! It's only got a few little air-holes underneath and I am sure that this is what caused the thing to freeze for over an hour just a few days after purchase. A quick google revealed that this happens a lot! Hmm, am wondering now if I've bought a pile of rubbish. At 249.99 it's not exactly cheap and sits alongside more recognised brands in this price category. If it is going to do this again, I hope it does it before the 28 days is up as I didn't buy it from Amazon but a well-known store. I am not a 'happy' bunny. If it were for myself, I would have returned it by now. As it's a present (and the recipient of the present has fallen in love with it), I've got a dilemma. So just the two stars for now.

Update: 13/02/2011 It's frozen 2 or 3 times now. Have resorted to opting for an upgrade in ram and buying a netbook cooler in the hope it rectifies things as the relative will not part with it.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2011 4:48 PM GMT

Kitchen Craft Expanding Stay Fresh Acrylic Bread Keeper
Kitchen Craft Expanding Stay Fresh Acrylic Bread Keeper
Price: 12.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and effective, 24 July 2010
I like this product. I make a lot of home made bread and no matter what shape, the loaf fits. It looks very stylish too and takes up a lot less space than a bread bin. It keeps the bread very fresh, I no longer have to take up shelf space in my fridge. Great.

Kenwood BM450 Bread Maker with Ingredients Dispenser
Kenwood BM450 Bread Maker with Ingredients Dispenser
Price: 79.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Great looking BM machine., 21 July 2010
Having bought most of my goods from Amazon in the last 10 years, I wasn't too impressed that the package had been opened when it arrived. Had eagerly tracked - loaded onto the HDNL van in the early morning only for it to arrive tampered with and late in the eve. This is the first time this has ever happened. Anyhow, the BM looks fantastic, it really is a sophisticated looking piece of kit and goes well on my worktop with my other stainless steel gadgets. The only initial worry that I had was that it looked as though it had already been used. The bread pan was stained and the glass top showed a few nicks and tiny chips. Many have commented that it is large but it's what I expected and leaves ample room in front of it on a standard worktop for a full size breadboard. It is tall but still stood comfortably on the worktop under the wall cupboards with a few inches to spare. Couldn't wait to try it so opted for prog 3 - wholemeal. 4.5hrs!! But the smell was gorgeous. Didn't rise as I'd hoped but bread was bouncy. I made a real home-made loaf using the same flour and ingredients a few weeks ago and whilst this bread rose lovely and looked like a traditional loaf, it was far more solid than the BM loaf. The BM loaf turned out fine with no problems with the paddle sticking in the loaf and the bread pan was a breeze to clean - a quick swoosh under the hot tap and that was that - no residue whatsoever. The crust - set to med was good too(can't wait to try the French Bread prog). The book said to leave the loaf to rest for 30 mins on the cooling rack but having waited all day for the machine and all night for the loaf, it lasted about 5 mins before I cut off a sizeable nobbler to go with butter, cheese and chutney! Ok, I might have some strange dreams tonight with hot bread and cheese but it was worth it, it tasted lovely! I spent a good few weeks researching which bread machine to buy and every one seemed to rate the panasonic D255. I own a lot of panasonic goods(mainly audio/visual and a microwave which I cannot fault) but the Panasonic BM looked tacky in comparison and as though it would discolour quickly. I am so far pleased with my Kenwood purchase. One niggle is the measuring cup. The recipe book states several times it is important to use the exact quantities stipulated yet the
cup is in 50ml gradients - also difficult to decipher which line pertains to which gradient. Could be better. Fingers crossed the next loaf will rise more and I will not have to revise this review.

Ok, so 4 days after baking my first loaf in the BM, I finished it and it was still not stale. Quite impressive. Made a loaf today using a bread mix on Prog 2 and that turned out ok too (bit of guess work with measurements). But the real reason of posting is that I've sussed out how to remove the paddle that is so problematic to people. The instructions tell you to turn it clockwise to remove it and that is true. What they do not tell you to do is to ensure that when you do this with your left hand, you are holding still the rotating nodule(on the underneath of the pan) with your right hand. If you ensure that you do this, the paddle should remove effortlessly every time.

Am still very impressed with the machine.