Profile for DROB > Reviews

MiniFeet Soft Leather Baby Shoes, Dark Pink Sandal 6-12 Months
MiniFeet Soft Leather Baby Shoes, Dark Pink Sandal 6-12 Months
Offered by MiniFeet Shoes

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely shoes for a non-walker, 6 Oct. 2014
I bought these for my 8 month old daughter. I'm pleased with how they look and the dark pink goes with anything. They're really soft, go on fairly easily, but keep an eye on them when out and about as my little one can sometimes rub them off! I recommend these.

I Can Make You Sleep
I Can Make You Sleep
by Paul McKenna

3.0 out of 5 stars More of a distraction, 18 Jun. 2014
This review is from: I Can Make You Sleep (Paperback)
I bought this because I've been suffering anxiety caused insomnia-not being able to get to sleep, and have been on a short prescription of sleeping tablets. This was an 'I'll try anything' purchase. My expectations were high (an anxiety thing!) and so I uploaded the enclosed CD onto my iPod and gave it a go. I listened every night for about two weeks and sometimes I drifted off during the CD (I think the pill did that, to be honest) and when I went drug free I just lay awake. I don't really think the CD hypnotises, rather it helps you to forget about trying to get to sleep. The book makes a lot of sense and I enjoyed reading it. The sections about sleep cycles were informative and interesting. Just don't expect this book or CD to cure. It really just distracts. Good luck.

The Poetry of Seamus Heaney: A Critical Guide
The Poetry of Seamus Heaney: A Critical Guide
by Neil Corcoran

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 1 Mar. 2014
I bought this to help with some aspects of my dissertation. Corcoran provides clear and detailed analysis of a wide range of Heaney's poetry. I think this book would be really useful to those who are either a little apprehensive about approaching Heaney's poetry in an academic sense, or those who are interested in extending their reading of Heaney's work. The book is not 'off-puttingly' wordy or theoretical.

AZATOM® iFLUTE Silver 10W iPhone Docking Station - True stereo dual speakers - Remote control - Premiun portable sound
Offered by 4 COOL TECHNOLOGY

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but Mighty, 1 Mar. 2014
I bought this as a dock for my iPod Classic. The station is small but packs a mighty sound punch. I worried the quality might be a bit tinny, but it is clear and really fills the room. The system may be small but it really delivers. The price is fair for this excellent little docking station.

Hauck Abe Changing Bag (Red/ Beige)
Hauck Abe Changing Bag (Red/ Beige)

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant bag. Well worth the excellent price!, 13 Feb. 2014
This is a great bag and it looks good, too. It comes with a changing mat, smaller bag for nappies and wipes, and a bottle holder. Similar bags in Mothercare are 3 times the price. The velcro is very strong so the bag won't easily open when packed full. The straps are substantial and the bag drapes nicely over the pram handle. I bought the red which looks great and is suitable for parents with a boy or a girl!

The Oyster Catcher - a full-length romance novel
The Oyster Catcher - a full-length romance novel

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, good story line., 8 Feb. 2014
Girl runs away from her own wedding to a small town in Ireland. She gets herself a job at an oyster farm where many dramas and much soul healing takes place. A great story, lots of brilliant characters. Well worth the read.

What to Expect When You're Expecting
What to Expect When You're Expecting
by Heidi E. Murkoff

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful. You can read too much!, 23 Sept. 2013
I bought this to reassure me about many of the symptoms I have been experiencing in my first pregnancy. My advice is, talk to other women and your midwife.
Some of the information about eating and keeping well is good (but common sense) and the trimesters are well explained, but some of the information is vague, especially as all pregnancies are different. Many symptoms which are part of a normal pregnancy can also be part of something more worrying, so you may find yourself stressing over an ache or pain you might have just put down to something normal before you read this.
I would say, listen to your own body and instincts and ask the experts face to face. This book only contributes to first time parents' anxiety!

10,000 Baby Names: How to choose the best name for your baby
10,000 Baby Names: How to choose the best name for your baby

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of names, but too many silly ones., 23 Sept. 2013
I bought this for obvious reasons and thought, surely out of 10,000 names (as the book boasts) I'd find at least one or two I liked. Sadly, this book is full of names, I feel, purely to reach the 10,000 mark!
Traditional names are few and far between with some suggestions including 'Tacitus' and 'Nero'. I think having so many is just too confusing.
The advice about being careful with embarrassing initials is useful, though.

Seamus Heaney: A Collection of Critical Essays
Seamus Heaney: A Collection of Critical Essays
by Elmer Andrews

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to 'love' but very useful!, 23 Sept. 2013
I bought this to help me research my dissertation on Seamus Heaney's poetry. There is a really good collection of academic essays by a range of respected people. One of the strengths of this book is that they all have a different opinion on Heaney's work and don't just state the obvious.
The index at the back allows you to pick and choose the pages and topics you need rather than having to plough through all of the essays which would be far too laborious. This is a good one to have on your shelf for future reference.

The Misremembered Man
The Misremembered Man

3.0 out of 5 stars A lovely story with some harrowing scenes., 23 Sept. 2013
I did enjoy this book enough to finish it and was thoroughly warmed by the ending but sadly I didn't find it to be enough of a page turner.
The tale plods along nicely and then suddenly the writer throws in some quite disturbing scenes of abuse and violence in a Catholic children's orphanage. I admit I scanned some of these quickly as I found them a bit hard going and quite traumatic!
The characters are well developed with plenty of back story and feelings. There is enough of a range of likable and unlikable people to make it realistic.
If you enjoy simple stories set in rural Ireland, then you'll enjoy this. If you want something with more twists and turns then you won't.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4