Profile for M. Salter > Reviews

Content by M. Salter

M. Salter "cryptomnesiest" (London, England)

HP 610mm x 15.2mm Premium Satin Photo Paper
HP 610mm x 15.2mm Premium Satin Photo Paper

5.0 out of 5 stars The best semigloss finish, 22 Sept. 2013
I love this stuff - great photo finish and hard to distinguish from other photos.

Warning: It's not quick dry, so make sure every print has plenty of time to dry and is laid flat before letting anything else ( including and especially another wet sheet) touch the surface. Ruined a few meters by letting prints touch face-to-face in the catch.

HP Universal - Matte coated paper - 4.9 mil - Roll A1 (61.0 cm x 45.7 m) - 95 g/m2 - 1 roll(s)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dos what it says on the tin, 22 Sept. 2013
Cheap, affordable, good quality product. Only trust official HP stuff for my printer. Roll on in peace with this item!

Civilwarland In Bad Decline
Civilwarland In Bad Decline
by George Saunders

5.0 out of 5 stars A great time in the head of a giant, 22 Sept. 2013
I've only just recently launched my investigation into the world of Saunders - CBD was my first (felt right to start at the beginning) about a month ago. I was so excited and near-rapturous with the completion of this book that I immediately moved on to the next in the series: Pastoralia and now have just finished The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil.

Thinking back on Civilwarland, I remember a lot of the stories with a real clarity, but more am just grateful for the lasting feeling of accomplishment that Saunders illicited for me in the reading. The tales are dark and gruesome in a more obvious way here, than in later stories. And there's a rawness - some transmission of the excitement or discovery that he perhaps felt writing these first stories (?) that comes right to the surface, bites on to your face, and doesn't let go.

I honestly stood leaning against a tree to finish the last 40 pages of the final story because I couldn't take another step without finishing the journey. I lied about where I'd been when my colleagues asked why I was late back to the office, and spent the rest of the afternoon thinking about the world I'd just left.

This feels like a book I'll want to re-read every year, and enjoy more for the return. I'm grateful that this book exists; it helped me dream myself away from all the cyclical cr*p my mind has been fixated on for so long. I can't say how exactly the effect worked, but it was probably magic.

Reality Hunger: A Manifesto
Reality Hunger: A Manifesto
by David Shields

5.0 out of 5 stars The problem with long term goals., 28 Feb. 2010
I'm not particularly adept at writing. I won't pretend to be. I'm a fine artist (painter) and tend to go guttural, with minimal editing when it comes to language. That is to say, in short, that for me writing is a stretch, and writing on writing is downright uncomfortable. But I feel obligated to Mr. Shields, and thus(ly) attempt a disquieting review of an important cultural artifact.

David Shields might not be adept at writing either - that's a big part of why I really like him. His attitude seems to be, "find the right tool to do the job, don't just do everything with a hammer." You're thinking, "how does carpentry come into play with Reality Hunger?" I claim: a) Reality Hunger is about everything, including carpentry and less importantly b) Shields has found a way to make writing relevant by any means possible... and to survive as a writer today it seems you've got to be willing to exchange hammer for laser, sword for raygun, pen for plastic at any moment.
What I like about Reality Hunger is that it simultaneously manages to make love to two separate beasts simultaneously - namely the past and future. In some strange way, Reality Hunger manages to lovingly caress Proust, Kafka and Woolf's thighs with one hand while fondling James Frey, the Wu-Tang Clan and Family Matters' tits with the other. You're thinking, "impossible," but it's true. There are a number of avenues by which to approach Reality Hunger, and I will begin with the most superficial: relevance.
Reality Hunger is deeply relevant in that it attempts to, and I found mostly succeeds at bridging gaps between otherwise isolated cultural flotsam through at least the last century of modern thought. This book is about form, and critiques itself constantly - not in purely self-reflexive self-congratulatory ways, but rather though illustrating a history of artists breaking form (musicians and writers primarily, with the odd fine artist thrown in for good measure). I found it deeply fascinating to find myself implicated in the reading of Reality Hunger and continually wondered, "How am I addressing this issue of function preceding form? If the novel is dying, this is surely a rush of new blood to the system. But painting is dying as well...hmmm." I haven't been doing this for as long as David Shields, so my ruminations ceased there. However, the measures he has taken as far as bringing writing, and the book as a form into relevant territory for all current media is not to be underestimated.
Another way to approach Reality Hunger is through a pure, naive sense of recognition and comfort. The book carries you, asks very little in return, and offers substantive gains in exchange for commitment. Like any fine, refined work, there are the seductive, easily digested qualities (hip lingo, hot references, dirty words and substantive ruminations) given more directly through their nature: Short, chopped up bits - like your mommy cutting that steak. However, I found myself surprisingly not-annoyed at being spoon-fed content. There are enough ambitious claims, bites that you take BEFORE thinking, "do I like how this tastes?" which trip up the common causal relationships you expect from the written word.
Realtiy Hunger is not direct - it is fragmented and frightened. However, it is not ABOUT fragmentation and fear - it is about how you overcome and supersede both of those conditions with a sense of grace. In short, Baudrillard ushered the age of signs without signifiers, and as a result we've had to wade through half-handed hacks commenting on commentary. Shields is a relief because he actually believes things can change, that Thomas Mann and Mos Def in the same sentence BELONG together, and that its our responsibility to connect them meaningfully. On top of which he's written the only book, in its book-ness which seems to add up to contemporary music and images.
If you've been thinking to yourself, "Jesus, when is writing going to get back into the picture?" You've got your answer, I think.

The Three Paradoxes
The Three Paradoxes
by Paul Hornschemeier

5.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed never felt so good., 13 Feb. 2009
This review is from: The Three Paradoxes (Hardcover)
This graphic novel seems iconic of the current Chicago-based independent publishing scene. It's painstakingly drawn and written, autobiographical, and does a lot to break down that 'fourth wall.' The artwork is tight, in line with the MOME work he's been putting out, and coloring is superb (more earthy than his Omega the Unknown).

Formalities aside, the story takes place over the course of maybe 2 or 3 hours, with a few tangents/flashbacks as detours from the narration. It's a short story, really, and more of a playing with the format of comics than a character study. There's a sense of detachment throughout the novel, but also a playfulness, which is in sync with the general theme of "how do I even go about constructing this story," that takes place throughout.

I wouldn't say the book changed my life, but there is a lot going on inside, and I often reference it for its succinct storytelling and subtleties of character-display.

Highly recommended to anyone looking for something deeper than the cardboard superhero story.

The Gift: How the Creative Spirit Transforms the World
The Gift: How the Creative Spirit Transforms the World
by Lewis Hyde

5.0 out of 5 stars Not usually one to review, 12 Feb. 2009
... but this book has come up in my daily life again and again as I've begun reading it. (NB: I am reviewing as a graduate student studying Painting)

Given to me by a friend (doing his history PhD. at UVA) a couple weeks ago, we recently had a conversation that went something to the effect of "yeah, it's like Hyde takes these things I've given thought to before, but pushes them about 10 steps beyond anywhere I'd have gotten without INTENSIVE research." Like all great cultural artifacts, this book does a ton of legwork to give your thoughts on giving, creativity, and the social purpose of "what we do" a huge push, and really has nudged my brain into a valuable understanding of myself.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not touting this as "self-help" or an "answer" in any way, as it poses as many questions as it does offer possible solutions or reasons for things. And I truly loathe all forms of self-help. But like a film or conversation or piece of artwork, it re-frames and problematizes issues with market economies, the struggle of a creative person in a modern (capitalist) world, and more personally, self-confidence and a faith in what you're doing.

It may help you find ways to be a better person, it may just re-arrange some puzzle pieces, and maybe you're already a savant and will have gotten already out of your life experience what Hyde offers you here, to which I'd simply say "well done." But I don't think the book is a waste of time. The first 80 or so pages are a bit direct, and drag a bit, but as painful as a historical backdrop COULD be, at least he tells a number of interesting stories and fables to keep the need for immediate gratification satiated.

I think the negative reviews I've read here are either from readers unwilling to take the time to properly unpack Hyde's work, or too impatient to relax into it. Further, Hyde is not just a 'quack,' he spends decades researching his material and is a well-respected historian.

It's the first book I've been excited about reading in a long time.