Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Reb" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Orchard Book of Nursery Rhymes (Books for Giving)
The Orchard Book of Nursery Rhymes (Books for Giving)
by Zena Sutherland

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this beautiful book when our daughter was just a few months ..., 14 Aug 2014
I bought this beautiful book when our daughter was just a few months old, mainly to remind myself of some nursery rhymes I could sing to her at the time. It is full of classic verses accompanied by charming, old-fashioned illustrations. My daughter enjoyed looking at the pictures from an early age (although the pages are only paper so obviously I had to be careful she didn't tear it) but now she is nearly two she is getting even more out of it, and enjoys looking at and pointing out many of the details in her favourite pictures. I think it will be a favourite for many years.

PetFlex Pet Bandages 5cm. Pack x 6. Assorted Print Designs. Dog, Cat, Animal Wraps
Offered by Horseactive Equine & Pet Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy bandages that don't budge, 6 Mar 2013
These are brilliant bandages that don't slip or come unwound. So easy to use - just remember not to over-stretch or you can make them too tight and cut off the circulation.

Fish4Dogs Sea Jerky Fish Twists 100 g (Pack of 3)
Fish4Dogs Sea Jerky Fish Twists 100 g (Pack of 3)
Offered by The Pet Shop & Reptile Ranch

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite treats for both our hounds, 31 Dec 2012
Both our greedy greyhound and our fussy saluki love these stinky fish treats - and while I need to hold my nose while I dish them out, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make when they enjoy them so much! Crunchy and hard, I also hope they are helping to clean their teeth a bit at the same time...

Sterntaler Baby Fleece Booties Beige, 0-6 months - available in different sizes
Sterntaler Baby Fleece Booties Beige, 0-6 months - available in different sizes

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous baby boots - and they don't get lost!, 1 Dec 2012
I bought these gorgeous boots for our six-week-old baby and, although they were much larger than her tiny feet at the time, they still managed to stay on very well - thanks to the design. She's now 12 weeks old and they have loads of room left for further growth. They have an internal 'sock' and a drawstring to adjust so that they don't get lost along the way. They are perfect for winter and look like they will probably last her until she's about six months old, which makes them very good value. Very pleased with this purchase, and would definitely recommend them (plus they look lovely!).

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of potential, but ultimately a bit disappointing, 3 Mar 2012
Before I Go To Sleep has lots of potential and the story starts well, introducing a plot that is intriguing and quite original. I found myself rushing to finish the book to find out what happened at the end, which all sounds very promising - but along the way I soon became increasingly frustrated with how repetitive and unbelievable parts of the story were, and found some aspects of the characters rather unconvincing.

This is a hard book to rate because on the one hand it was a 'page-turner', in that I was desperate to reach the end to discover if any of my suspicions were right -- but on the other hand, the journey there felt a bit like trudging through mud in Wellies, only to find the destination a bit of an anti-climax.

Gel Eclat Clarifying Cleanser Pearly Foam
Gel Eclat Clarifying Cleanser Pearly Foam
Offered by VIS International Corporation Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely creamy cleanser used with water, 19 Dec 2011
A lovely creamy cleanser with a luxurious texture and a delicate rose scent that leaves your face feeling really clean yet not tight or over-dry. You only need to use a tiny bit, massaged into your face with warm water, and you'll find a little goes a very long way.

The Last Weekend
The Last Weekend
by Blake Morrison

4.0 out of 5 stars A really readable novel packed with rivalry, jealousy and delusions, 10 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Last Weekend (Paperback)
This tense but highly readable novel focuses on a weekend reunion between two couples, written from an interesting perspective: one that is full of self-justification, self-delusion and denial. It's up to the reader to work out how close to the "truth" the narrative lies.

As the story unfolds, an old bet between the two main male characters resurfaces and their rivalry escalates throughout the long Bank Holiday weekend reunion, with devastating consequences.

At times the setting (a rambling and rather tumbledown country house) and some of the characters don't entirely ring true, but overall it's atmospheric, well-written and entertaining to the end.

Shadow Sister
Shadow Sister
by Simone van der Vlugt

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good read for fans of psychological thrillers, 14 Jan 2011
This review is from: Shadow Sister (Paperback)
Despite centring around a murder, this fantastic page-turner by Dutch author Simone van der Vlugt is more of a psychological thriller than a traditional murder mystery or detective tale.

It focuses on the relationship between twin sisters Lydia and Elisa, and the people that surround them. Written in the first person, shifting perspectives between the two sisters, it's soon apparent how different they are, despite being identical twins. Lydia is a glamorous, career-minded teacher, mother and wife who works at a challenging school in Rotterdam, while Elisa is a professional photographer with a less polished appearance and a less successful track record when it comes to men.

It's Lydia, however, who runs into trouble when Bilal, one of her tough, male students, threatens her with a knife. When she is murdered soon afterwards, Bilal is the obvious suspect, but with sister Elisa's narrative the reader is taken on an exciting journey to discover if he was really the culprit. I gulped down this book in just a few evenings, and really enjoyed it. Highly recommended.

Sister
Sister
by Rosamund Lupton

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - but not as good as I'd been led to expect, 22 Oct 2010
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
This is a fairly dark and emotional book about the relationship and differences between two sisters: the older and more sensible Beatrice, and the younger and more carefree Tess, who is pregnant and has been reported missing.

I read Sister quickly, in just a couple of sittings, keen to find out what had happened to Tess - but along the way I found some of the characters rather unbelievable, particularly some of the 'professional' medical staff who I just can't imagine behaving or communicating in the way depicted. There are also sections where the novel seemed to flag a bit, and I found myself trying to race through those sections towards a more interesting part.

Although overall I enjoyed this book, I was left feeling a bit short-changed. I think that's partly down to one of the twists at the end, and partly down to over-inflated expectations of the book. With so many glowing reviews of Sister, combined with the label 'psychological thriller', I was set up for a read that the book just didn't quite deliver.

Calling Mr Lonely Hearts
Calling Mr Lonely Hearts
by Laura Benedict

4.0 out of 5 stars A dark and enigmatic novel of revenge, 20 Aug 2010
I was pretty swept up by this dark, supernatural tale about teenage pranks that have lifelong repercussions for those involved.

With a spooky, Gothic atmosphere throughout, the story focuses on three complicated teenage friends, Roxanne, Del and Alice, and the handsome Father Romero who starts work at their school and soon becomes the object of their fascination. A series of events and a cruel lie soon turn into fading memories for the girls as they grow up, but for Father Romero they are less easily forgotten.

As adults, the girls' lives are still intertwined yet in many ways they have grown apart. Each has achieved success yet remains fairly messed up and unhappy. And then a dark and mysterious man turns up on the fringes of their lives - and the mistakes of their youth start to catch up with them, complicating things even further.

Complex and compelling, Calling Mr Lonely Hearts is quite unlike any novel I've read before.

Page: 1 | 2