Profile for GeneaWorkshop > Reviews

Genealogy: Essential Research Methods
Genealogy: Essential Research Methods
by Helen Osborn

5.0 out of 5 stars Raising Standards in Genealogical Research, 10 Jan 2013
When I heard about this book, I ordered it immediately. I had already encountered Helen Osborn as a result of taking courses in genealogy with Pharos Tutors, of which she is managing director. With fifteen plus years as a professional researcher under her belt, I was sure that it would be a worthwhile read. My expectations of the book were high and I have not been disappointed.

This book fills a gap in the UK market by tackling research techniques rather than sources. Topics covered that I found especially useful were: effective searching, the need to understand why records are created and retained, analysing documents, planning and problem solving, citing sources, and genealogical proof.

The book is easy to read, with everything being well explained - the result, I'm sure, of Helen's tutoring experience.

Following the techniques given in this book is likely to result in more successful research, conducted to a higher standard. You may find that you save time, money, and heartache in the process.

I would not consider this a book for a complete beginner in genealogy, if that is you then try Simon Fowler's Tracing Your Ancestors. If you have some experience of the basic genealogical sources, however, and want to do more than just dabble in family history, then I recommend acquiring this book without delay. In my opinion even the most experienced genealogist is likely to find this book a thought provoking read.