Profile for mwahahaha > Reviews

Content by mwahahaha

mwahahaha (Sheffield, UK)

Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori)
Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori)

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, poignant, sad book!, 16 Jun. 2009
A riveting book, I couldn't put it down and had to read it all in one sitting! It made me smile, it made me cry, it had me on the edge of my seat all the way through. I first read it when i was about 11, I'm 15 now and still love it! A must for any teenager or adult (my mum loved it too), especially girls.

The Harsh Cry of the Heron
The Harsh Cry of the Heron

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking!, 5 Feb. 2009
After reading the trilogy, I loved the ending - everyone was happy! I'm a bit of a sucker for a happy ending, so when I read this I was heartbroken! I'm not going to give anything away, but I was blubbing for the ending. I've never really liked Kaede except for Takeo's sake, she always seemed a bit stuck-up, but I loved Takeo, and I thought Shigeko was so unfortunate to find true love and then... it was the right ending though, in a wierd way; bittersweet but emotionally-charged and truly humbling! As soon as you remember that it's only a book (which takes a while!), you realise how wonderfully poignant it is!

Back to the review, a beautiful read (as always!). Medieval Japan is as enchanting as ever and the combination of steamy romance and magic is spellbinding. Everything is described so beautifully, but a few of the characters, notably Shigeko, maya and miki, were a little under-developed. I would have loved to know a bit more about them. Oh, and I think Shigeko should have got at least one night with ________! Nevertheless, a definite must-read and a perfect ending!

The Tales of the Otori Trilogy
The Tales of the Otori Trilogy
Edition: Perfect Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely beautiful - heartbreaking, 5 Feb. 2009
I got the third book in the series for my birthday a few years ago, then went back and read the others. Immediately I was hooked. Gillian Rubenstein, who writes under the pseudonym 'Lian hearn', is nothing short of a genius - the story is so beautifully and seamlessly written that it had me in tears for most of the three books. She manages to combine fantasy and magic in such an original way that they seem natural set against the backdrop of medieval japan. You can feel the characters' pain, love, suffering and hope, and you genuinely grow to love all of the characters as if they were your friends. Takeo's and Kaede's love is so beautifully fragile that you need it to succeed for your own sake!

A modern masterpeice. Will keep you hooked for hours!