Profile for Book lover > Reviews

Content by Book lover

Book lover (Cornwall)

Page: 1 | 2
Typing for England: National Service. Memories, reflections, facts, myths and opinions
Price: 3.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Passion, fear, war, sex, and typing in a hot climate, 17 Mar 2014
I've never done National Service, or been to Singapore, or worn a uniform as an adult--but I loved LOVED this book. The quiet, wry humour was wonderful, and the writing flowed gracefully from page to page.

The undersung, underpaid, and unassuming men who completed their National Service don't have an epic story, but it's fascination is in the small detail and very British humour.

Brilliant job, Mr. Haigh.
jx

The Dead of Winter: A Ryan Kyd Thriller (Kindle Single)
The Dead of Winter: A Ryan Kyd Thriller (Kindle Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't stop now!, 23 Jan 2014
Ryan Kyd is becoming a bit of an addiction, and I have to agree with the people who've said it's the best story so far. Yep, there's a twisting, turning plot, and yep, it brings back the delectable Carly, and the chilly and terrifying DK, and yep, it's got all of Ryan's trademark quips and snarky, London humour. But for me, it's the grim undercurrent that is in danger of becoming an undertow: the dead junkie and his harder-than-nails girlfriend, the casual violence that hovers around Ryan's world, his increasingly sense of aloneness. He says, "I work alone", but it's becoming more than that.

And the ending! Jeez! Please tell me this guy is going to get sent to Jamaica for his next case? Surely Carly will realise he's the man for her once she sees his lily-white legs in a pair of Bermuda shorts. Please, don't let this be the end. Don't stop now, Roger Hurn!!

Plan D . . .: a Love Story
Plan D . . .: a Love Story
by Michael Seymour
Price: 12.92

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 star review, 18 Aug 2013
I didn't know what to expect from this book. Is it a love story? A political history? A thriller? It's all of those things, but the book I'd compare it to is Robert Harris' 'The Ghost'.

I learned about a period of history that I'd previously known almost nothing about. But it never felt like a history lesson. It was informative, and funny, and a little bit sexy, fast paced yet full of detail. I really warmed to the central character of Christopher but Simon's dangerous game-playing was enormously frustrating, but ultimately totally in context with the story. Each character refused to conform to stereoptypes in a way that kept me on my toes.

The tension built slowly until the ending felt claustrophobic and intense. A really great first book from this writer, although it's hard to believe it's his first, the writing is so commanding.

I would have given this five stars except the ending made me want to smash my Kindle against the wall - in a good way, if that's possible. You have been warned.

Hand of Darkness
Hand of Darkness

5.0 out of 5 stars Squeeeeal! A new Ryan Kyd novella!, 6 Aug 2013
This review is from: Hand of Darkness (Kindle Edition)
Ooh, so excited to see a new Ryan Kyd novella. I'm coming over all fan girl, which is not at all like me! I love the way London's underbelly is uncovered in this story, the pale slime from the heart of power, to the forgotten, lost and alone.

The dialogue sparks and crackles between Ryan and his spunky assistant Carly in a way that reminds me of 'Moonlighting' in its heyday. But just when you think you can see how the plot will go, it suprises the bejesus out of you.

I just love the way this series is heading. More Ryan Kyd. More Carly. Are you listening Roger Hurn?!

Images
Images
Price: 3.07

3.0 out of 5 stars Three point seven five stars!, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: Images (Kindle Edition)
This book had a lot of heat. The leading man, Simon Anthony Craig, was everything you'd want in an alpha male. And his attraction to love interest Lauren was h-o-t.

I guessed the plot twist pretty early on, but that didn't spoil the ride. It was pacey and kept moving along, with a large cast of interesting characters. I particularly liked Simon's mum and would have been happy to see more of her.

I think Miranda Bing has a lot more books in her, and I look forward to what she writes next.

I would have given this four stars, but the author kept calling Devon 'Devonshire' and the last writer who did that was Jane Austen!

Business Is Murder (Kindle Single)
Business Is Murder (Kindle Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten stars, 3 Jun 2013
Seriously, I couldn't give this book enough stars. It's fluidly written, the prose pushing the story forwards (in many unexpected directions), the dialogue crisp and fabulous and funny.

The villains are unexpected and I reeeeally didn't see that twist coming at the end, or possibly the twist that came after the end, or... well, you get the picture.

It was fresh, funny, truly creepy and disturbing at times. The hero, Ryan Kyd, subverted some of those detective cliches with humour and grit. The London settings were grimy enough for you to feel the kebab grease but were not the run-of-the-mill detective standards either.

Ryan Kyd deserves a big fanfare, even though he's the kind of guy who'd probably cringe, but I want to see more about this character and a lot more of the well plotted story that this author seems to write so effortlessly.

Great dialogue. Great story. Great character.

Ten flippin' stars!!!

A Dark Light (An Arthurian Action-Adventure Story)
A Dark Light (An Arthurian Action-Adventure Story)

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark, Dirty, Different, 12 Jan 2013
If you're expecting a clean-shaven, holier-than-thou King Arthur you'll be shocked by the dirt, the mud, the blood, the bluster and the low-down grittiness of this story. There are no white knights and the heroes (if you can call them that) are various shades of mud. Which made this story utterly compelling. I really couldn't imagine where the author was going with this story, and I stayed up far too late into the night, reading on to find out.

Roger Hurn writes a damn good tale, but it's not nice. In fact it's pretty damn nasty - and all the more intriguing for that. Really, really looking forward to the next part. Hope the author/publisher don't keep me waiting too long.

Spooky Stories and Twisted Tales
Spooky Stories and Twisted Tales

5.0 out of 5 stars Tales of the Unexpectly Spooky, 12 Sep 2012
This guy knows how to tell a tale with a twist in it.

Thrilling, spooky, scary and always unpredictable. My personal favourite is called `The Cure for Cancer'. Believe me, you just won't see the twist in the tale coming in this one. Brilliant. And really dark.

It's not just the plotting that raises this above the more usual stories of ghoulies and ghosties and things that go bump in the night - the language is well-crafted and engaging without dumbing down.

Brilliant for teens, tweens, and adults bold enough to tangle with a tingle. Yeah, you know who you are.

Once There Were Lions
Once There Were Lions

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, sad, everything you want in a story, 28 Jun 2012
This is a story that stays with you long after you've read it. It's for children, but there's a lot for a grown up to enjoy, too (speaking for myself!)

The cover perhaps only expresses the joy of friendship between these children during the Second World War and not the fear and loss and sadness that also emanate from this story.

It's a wonderful, wonderful story and the children who've read it have all wanted to read it again. There have been a few fights over the Kindle. You have been warned!

The Eye of the Pharaoh
The Eye of the Pharaoh

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Roger Hurn story, 28 Jun 2012
I loved this story. The writing is stylish, the humour is clever, the characters are well written and following the story with all its intriguing twists and turns makes reading rewarding.

There are so many Ancient Egypt stories out there but this one really is a cut above the rest.

Page: 1 | 2