Profile for D. Malcolm > Reviews

Content by D. Malcolm

D. Malcolm "Donna" (Kendal, UK)

How to Teach Your Baby to Swim: From Birth to Age Six
How to Teach Your Baby to Swim: From Birth to Age Six
by Douglas Doman

3.0 out of 5 stars Only buy if you have your own pool., 1 Feb. 2009
I brought this thinking it would compliment my daughters baby swimming lessons (ducklings and swim a song). However, it it written for kids who swim every day, which is not possible for me and the regime seemed over the top and unrealistic.
The general advice was interesting, but I think other books on this subject are much more realistic and relevant to to the average mum who takes her kids swimming once or twice a week.

All Kinds of Fears: a Lift-the-Flap Book
All Kinds of Fears: a Lift-the-Flap Book
by Emma Brownjohn

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book but not for the very young, 1 Feb. 2009
I purchased this for my three year old as she has developed a few minor fears and I thought this may be a good way of talking about them. The book arrived and it is well written, lots of lovely tabs to lift, things to pull and slide so very interactive and well written. I have however decided to save this book until my daughter is older as I felt it may well introduce to her fears that she hasn't even thought off (in one of the pages a big ghost pops up from under the bed which I thought woudl be quite scary for a 3 year old).

I'd recommend this book but for age 6 plus

Say "Ahhh!": Dora Goes to the Doctor (Dora the Explorer 8x8 (Quality))
Say "Ahhh!": Dora Goes to the Doctor (Dora the Explorer 8x8 (Quality))
by Phoebe Beinstein

4.0 out of 5 stars My daughter loves this book, 1 Feb. 2009
I brought this for my three year old who has regular hospital visits. It's become one of her favourite books and as it's a paperback its easy to carry around for story time on the move.
It's similar to other Dora books with lot of opportunities to get your child talking and interacting with the story, such a remembering the root to the doctors or pointing to the right items in the doctors office.
Great for Dora Fans

Learn to Write Your Letters (Wipe Clean Write and Learn)
Learn to Write Your Letters (Wipe Clean Write and Learn)
by Roger Priddy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for writing practice, 1 Feb. 2009
I purchased this book for my 3 year old daughter. She loves being able to practice her letters in it and the then wipe them away to try again.
It has a dot on each letter to show where to start and arrows to show how to form the letter, which makes it very compatible with the jolly phonics finger phonics programme.
It's useful on car journeys or even just to keep keep in my bag for her to use play with in cafe's etc.
The only slight issue is that it's hard to click the lid back onto the pen fully, so I have to check it's on to prevent the pen drying up, but an older child may be able to do this themselves.

I'm a Big Sister
I'm a Big Sister
by Joanna Cole

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for a toddler who's about to become a big sister, 12 Feb. 2008
This review is from: I'm a Big Sister (Hardcover)
I brought this book for my daughter who has just turned 2 and she loves it.
It looks at many aspects of being a big sister and has lovely colourful pictures and really positive language.
The only thing that could have made it better for me, is to have show a baby being breastfed as this is what babies spend a lot of time doing. However on the whole the book is great and suitable for any little girl who is about to become a big sister.
Th last page is lovely "mummy loves me, Daddy loves me, I am special to them. I'm the only me in the whole world!

In The Night Garden Vehicle Assortment
In The Night Garden Vehicle Assortment

1.0 out of 5 stars No fun at all, 8 Dec. 2007
My daughter loves in the night garden and her small toy makka pakka, uppsy dailsy and Iggle Piggle get played with a lot, so I brought her the Nicky Nonk too. It's rubbish,it falls apart when you pull it along and non of the doors open. It's needs a bell to ring or the doors to open and at the very least it should stay connected when you pull it along.
It's now used like an ornamnet on my daughter shelf as she never plays with it.

The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night
by Elizabeth Pantley

5.0 out of 5 stars A great alternative for parents who don't wnat to leave a baby to cry, 10 Sept. 2007
My health visitor and everyone around me kept telling me to use "controlled crying" to get my daughter to sleep - but this felt so wrong. My baby was crying and I was crying because she was crying - it felt so wrong. Then I found this book, and finally I felt like I could make a plan to improve my babies sleeping habits without having to resort to leaving her to cry. Thsi advice helped me to get a good night sleep - well worth every penny.