Profile for Mr. H. Lam > Reviews

Underground London: Travels Beneath the City Streets
Underground London: Travels Beneath the City Streets
by Stephen Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars I do not understand how this could be any worse, 24 Jan 2012
I am fascinated about subterranean London and this book caught my eye, and it lead to an impulse buy. Not only am I disappointed by the outcome but I have never been more angry at a book. On many occasions I have held back the urge to spring from my bed and throw it out of my window in rage.

The only thing I managed to gain from the book is how genuinely uninterested Stephen is about the topic and how much he likes to chat breeze.

Every other sentence is an obscure simile or reference. I had to actively try to seek out content, sometimes it would be pages before anything of interest was written. Sometime whole chapters.

I am simply amazed at the authors ability to write such a terrible book on such an exciting topic. The first 1/3 of the book was just a moronic soliloquy of a middle aged man walking around London aimlessly, I didn't read on. I normally try to give all styles of writing a chance, but I honestly could not stomach it any further.

It gave me the overwhelming sense that I was sitting in bed literally wasting the seconds and minutes of my life whilst staring at this utter pile of poorly arranged human effort.

Sennheiser CX 300-II Precision Noise-Isolating Ear-Canal Phones - Black (Eco Packaging)

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price, I'm still shocked it's this good., 10 Oct 2011
I've never had enough money to be experimenting with the mid-high end earphones so I have had a range of experiences with cheap earpieces.

These earphone outclass it's competitors by a clear mile.

Comfortable. Deep bass range and relative clarity in sound. Also goes quite loud which my other soundpieces have never performed well in.

The only thing is they feel kinda flimsy. And this is my 3rd pair. My first pair I was careful with and lasted me about 1.5 years. The second pair I was an idiot with and it only lasted 5 months.

But I've paid for earphones in the same price range before in a rush because I was desperate for music. And I've just spent the next few months hoping they would break because the sound is so mediocre.

I recently lost my earphones. I am very excited to own another pair of these bad boys.

AKG K240 MKII Semi-Open Circumaural Studio Headphones
AKG K240 MKII Semi-Open Circumaural Studio Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars First set of nice headphones, 27 Oct 2010
I wanted to be able to blast music late into the night without disturbing my neighbours so looked around for a while till I found these. I can't compare these to other higher end type headphones but for the price it really impressed me with sound quality. Gives a nice full spectrum, bass being full but not overpowering or at all muddy.

Can't complain comfort-wise either, somehow manages to avoid getting my ears that hot even after hours of usage (problem I've had with other headphones of this sort). And in general....they are just quite nice to wear - I barely notice I have them on most of the time.

However, the sound does leak quite a bit due to the "open" design, so your neighbours won't be complaining but your girlfriend who's trying to sleep might.

Vincent Van Gogh Mini (Minis)
Vincent Van Gogh Mini (Minis)
by Prestel

3.0 out of 5 stars It's quite fun, 14 July 2010
I can't remember why I bought this, but it's quite fun. You won't learn anything new about Van Gogh and you will not fully appreciate his work being printed on a book that is the size of my hand. But then again, it doesn't claim to do either of these things. I'll probably wrap this up and give it to someone for Christmas, as I see no purpose of it staying in my collection.

Chinese Whispers: The True Story Behind Britain's Hidden Army of Labour
Chinese Whispers: The True Story Behind Britain's Hidden Army of Labour
by Hsiao-Hung Pai

5.0 out of 5 stars Cover design and title put me off at first..., 14 July 2010
...but the content was truly insightful. The writer does an excellent job of providing a window into this parallel world that exists in our own backyards. Not only is this a good piece of journalism about the illegal labour trade, but is also a revealing piece on the desperation, cruelty, kindness and sorrow that exists within our world.

Strangers
Strangers
by Taichi Yamada

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been worse., 6 April 2010
This review is from: Strangers (Paperback)
I agree that it's very predictable, in plot and in writing. However, I also believe that it was an entertaining read, and seeing as I bought this a while ago and forgot that it was a "ghost" novel, it was actually surprisingly creepy for me to read.

I wouldn't rush to buy/read it, but if you do then it won't be a complete waste of time, I've read much worse. Besides it's only short.

DIGIFLEX Mini Black USB Wired Optical Light Scroll Wheel Mice Mouse for PC Laptop Computer
Offered by Digiflex

4.0 out of 5 stars Bargain, 28 Dec 2009
Great plug and play device, and for an absolute bargain. Bought it as a replacement for a similar one I had that looked exactly the same. Only problem that I should have noted even whilst having my old one is that the blue and red flashing light can get annoying at times. When watching a film, or leaving the computer on overnight etc... Although all you have to do it unplug it, which takes minimal effort. So overall, good price, good product.