Profile for Ed Pearson > Reviews

Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET732
Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET732
Offered by Lovely Gifts

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply no competition at this price, 27 Jan 2014
I bought this following a lot of research and the recommendation of AmazingRibs.com. If you cook a lot of larger pieces of meat on your BBQ or smoker then you need some form of thermometer, and a probe thermometer that you can leave in the meat is much preferable to an instant read, because you don't have to keep lifting the lid. This one has all the features you are likely to need: a full probe and grate-level thermometer (the latter with a useful clip), a target temperature alarm, C/F readouts, a remote sensor you can carry around with you. You need to be a little careful with the probe and don't pull it by its cable, but otherwise this thermometer seems perfect for the task.

Casio BG-1302-2ER BABY-G ladies digital resin strap watch
Casio BG-1302-2ER BABY-G ladies digital resin strap watch
Offered by WatchO

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly indestructible, 27 Jan 2014
Bought this for my wife as a 'beater' watch she could take horseriding and various other places where her regular watch might not be up to it. This works perfectly, easily readable, and looks good. The plastic strap is easily cleaned. Perfect for its intended use.

Casio Gents Watch G-Shock Radio Gravity Defier GW-3000BD-1AER
Casio Gents Watch G-Shock Radio Gravity Defier GW-3000BD-1AER

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and indestructible, 27 Jan 2014
I bought this as a weekend watch so I wouldn't have to wear my smarter, work watches while walking the dog or doing a spot of DIY. I needed something virtually indestructible and if you're in that market then there's really nothing better than a G-Shock. I like fun watches - ones with things going on on their faces, and this has plenty of dials and indicators that I'm sure mean something to someone. The automatic radio timekeeping is great if you live in most parts of the world, but in my corner of the Caribbean I'm a bit too far from the transmitter. No matter, this thing keeps excellent time and as it is solar powered I don't have to worry about batteries.

Downsides? It's quite chunky which might not be for everyone. The bracelet is a pain to resize and isn't as tough as the rest of the watch (scratches easily). The watch has no illumination so you are reliant on the glow-in-the-dark hands which do not maintain their 'glow' for very long. None of these are big issues though.

Sigg Classics Bottle - Swiss Quality, 1 Litre
Sigg Classics Bottle - Swiss Quality, 1 Litre

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy cheap, buy twice. Buy this instead., 27 Jan 2014
Having bought all sorts of plastic bottles over the years, all of which eventually succumb to smelling slightly 'damp', I decided to get one of these. My bottle doesn't live half way up a mountain like it's designed to do, it lives on my desk at work and it does an excellent job there too. Top marks - I really don't see I'll ever need another bottle.

Anker® Astro Pro2 20000mAh Multi-Voltage (5V 12V 16V 19V) Portable Power Bank External Battery USB Charger for Tablets, Netbooks, Notebooks, Laptops and Smart Phones -- Compatible with HP, Dell, Acer, Asus, Toshiba Notebooks, Google Glass, Nexus Tablets, iPads, iPhone 6 5S 5C 5 4S, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4, S3, Note 4 3 2 and More
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, long lasting battery, 18 July 2013
Ordered this product as a solution familiar to anyone who travels a lot - lots of different devices all running out of battery. With modern smartphones being ever more battery hungry, coupled with having to rely on wireless internet access when abroad to avoid high data charges, having a backup battery that covers my iPhone, iPad, my wife's HTC, her laptop, kindle etc, is invaluable. On a recent 24 hour journey with 10 hours in airports, we were able to watch films, listen to podcasts, etc, and still got off the other end with all items fully charged. The Anker by this point was still indicating over 50%. The battery is light, compact and fits perfectly in my travel bag.

The only connector it does not come with, which I wish it did, is an Apple magsafe connector for Apple macbooks/macbook pros. I assume this is some patent issue beyond Anker's control.

One word of caution: don't try and pack this in check-in luggage - the charge it holds is above the stated maximum for single batteries on a lot of airlines. Anker could perhaps include an easy-peel sticker reminding users of this fact. Not a criticism, just a fact. But given the primary use of this for me is to be with me on the plane, not an issue for me.

Reef Men's Reef Leather Smoothy Trainer
Reef Men's Reef Leather Smoothy Trainer
Price: £27.34 - £43.11

3.0 out of 5 stars Comfy but beware stained feet!, 8 April 2013
These were bought as a gift. They're very comfy as others have said, but every time I wear them they leave my feet a very dark shade of brown, which takes a week to come off even with twice daily washing. This problem is even worse if you get them wet by accident (or have sweaty feet!)

44mm Small Brown Felt Backed Castor Cups x 4
44mm Small Brown Felt Backed Castor Cups x 4
Offered by Bamford Trading

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent protection for wood floors, 23 Mar 2011
After having spent a rainy Sunday installing engineered oak boards, the last thing I wanted was our sofa (a heavy 3 seater) to leave marks. These were perfect - the cup is deep so you can move the sofa without worrying that the castor will slip out, and the felt protects the floor. The whole thing is made of a sturdy ABS plastic, which is much stronger than the weedy metal ones I bought from Wickes.