Profile for An Avid Reader > Reviews

An Avid Reader (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
DB 3 Grey Argyle Mix Mens Ankle Socks 6-11
DB 3 Grey Argyle Mix Mens Ankle Socks 6-11

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for swollen legs & ankles - great quality & great designs, 16 Aug 2013
I must preface this by saying I do NOT have diabetes, so I can't comment on their suitability for those who do. I suffer from extremely swollen legs and ankles and hated the look - & pain - of those blue indentations caused by my socks by the end of the day. I'm absolutely delighted with these. I discovered the joy of non-binding socks after buying a pair of 'diabetic socks' from my local pharmacy & so decided to check out the options on Amazon. I've tried lots of different brands but these Drew Barry Gentle Grip are just streets ahead of all the others. They're comfortable, stylish, really well made; they don't cut in at all and yet stay up perfectly all day and they wash brilliantly. The toe seam is comfortable & I can't notice it in wear - but there IS a toe seam for those who need to know that. I'm in the process of throwing away all my old socks and replacing them with Gentle Grip. I'm a ladies Size 8, so I bought some ladies' ones as well as these men's &, while both are fine, I think I marginally prefer these. I would have been happy with these at twice the price - so I'm really delighted with them for such a reasonable cost.

CKB Ltd Pack of 24 Quality Artist Pastels Ideal For Hair Chalking & Art Projects
Offered by CKB LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, effective hair chalk & AMAZING value (and they come in a beautiful box too!), 16 Aug 2013
I wasn't sure how effective these Artists' Pastels would be as hair chalk, but since my daughter paid more than half this much for ONE chalk specifically marketed for hair, I figured it was worth trying these for 24 shades. I'm SO glad I did - they are brilliant!! My daughter's green with envy (& with my hair chalk!) because they work so much better than her specialist product.
Pros:
- such a huge choice of colours - match to your outfit, your glasses, your nail polish - whatever!
- washes out so you can ring the changes as often as you want
- stays until it's washed out, but gradually gets faded & more subtle
- doesn't stain skin or clothes - I've slept on Egyptian cotton pure white pillowcases with really deep/bright colours in my hair and there hasn't been a mark (but you DO have to seal it first!!)
- everyone just LOVES my new look(s!!)
- I know this is superficial (hey we are talking hair chalks!) but the packaging is beautiful - very understated and arty & expensive-looking
Cons:
- it's messy! (but nothing some disposable gloves won't solve!)
I generally just have a single streak down one side. I pin back the rest of my hair to leave the streak I want to chalk exposed; put on disposable gloves, wet my hair & the chalk & then 'colour in'! You can spend a long time making sure every strand is completely covered (which I do when I want really vibrant, in-yer-face colour) or you can just kinduv lay it on without agonising about covering every little bit and maybe spread it with your (gloved) hands which gives a lovely subtle graduated shading. Then I clean up the gloves (& if necessary the sink & my skin - just rinses away really easily.) Then the critical part - SEAL IT. I haven't tried NOT sealing it, but my daughter has with hers & she ended up with blue cheek, forehead, neck, bedding - not to be recommended. I seal it with straighteners - but I wouldn't recommend using your best ghd because some of the colour does transfer on to them. Because I only do a single streak, I bought a cheap pair of mini-straighteners specially for sealing my chalks.
I can't tell you how delighted I am with these - my new favourite cosmetic & what a bargain. If you're hesitating - don't. Just get them - you won't regret it!

Ladies 1 Pair HJ Hall Original Cotton Softop Socks Black7-9
Ladies 1 Pair HJ Hall Original Cotton Softop Socks Black7-9
Offered by Footcare UK Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Hole-ly unsatisfactory, 16 Aug 2013
Well - the good news is that the tops of these certainly didn't pinch or bind. The not-so-good-news is that that comment's based on one wear only. Why? Because that's how long they lasted! When I first put them on, I discovered a hole in one of them, I thought I could possibly have caused it while removing the nylon tag...but I was in a hurry so I decided I'd wear them & repair it when I took them off. When I got home there were FOUR holes that needed repairing. Three of them had not been there that morning...& all four were on the legs - so it's not as if they could have been caused by shoes rubbing.
I'd paid much more for these than for other oedema-friendly socks because I'd heard they were 'the best'...well I beg to differ. They are very fine knit, which I have absolutely no problem with (indeed like) but what I don't like is this level of fragility. Other reviews of this brand have complained of holes but I foolishly chose to ignore them. To those reviewers - thank you for the warning...just wish I'd heeded it!

Flexitol Cuticle & Nail Cream for Feet 20 g
Flexitol Cuticle & Nail Cream for Feet 20 g

5.0 out of 5 stars Really effective...Flexitol no longer make this foot version, so grab it while you can, 16 Aug 2013
I don't have hangnails or particularly bad cuticles, but my fingernails are very dry and seriously prone to peeling, splitting & breaking. The reviews suggested this could help &, while not perfect, my nails are really much healthier these days. Flexitol used to do 2 versions - 1 for hands, 1 for feet - & as far as I can gather, the only difference was that the foot version had a slightly higher urea content. But they only do the finger one these days - it's good, but not as effective as this one. So if you can still get hold of this one, grab it while you can!
Containing urea means it's not the most beautifully fragranced product, but I don't find it too unpleasant or strong.It seems expensive for such a small amount, but you only need a tiny bit so it lasts for ages. The squeeze tube means it's not always that easy to control how much comes out - so if you end up with too much on one nail, just touch the nails from the other hand against it so you can then spread it on those

Dylon Wash & Dye Fabric Dye (400gram Pk) Jeans Blue
Dylon Wash & Dye Fabric Dye (400gram Pk) Jeans Blue
Offered by The Quilted Bear Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - easy, quick, effective...but why can't they just say Navy??, 16 Aug 2013
This is brilliant - I regularly use Dylon Wash & Dye to revive my black & my navy clothes. But for ages I couldn't find the Navy version...until I eventually discovered that Dylon had renamed it "Jeans Blue." Why???
It's SOO easy to use - you don't need anything other than the pack itself, your washing machine, some rubber gloves & your usual washing detergent. It's great that the newer formulation works perfectly at 40 degrees so you don't have to risk using a higher temperature than the fabric likes to ensure full colour saturation. And the colour really stays - no bleeding or fading. The instructions say you can run an empty cycle with bleach if there's any dye left in your machine, but I've used these dyes dozens of times & never had to do so.
Obviously remember the usual colour rules - only pure fabrics like cotton or linen will take on the colour completely; dyeing synthetics will only produce a lighter shade; the colour-mixing rules still apply (e.g. use blue dye on a yellow garment & you'll end up with green.) And stick to the weight limits if you want the best results. Oh - & also be aware that synthetic sewing thread on a natural fabric won't take the dye so you'll be left with contrast stitching!
Although I generally use this to revive faded garments, I have used it to dye a white linen shirt & it came out a perfect, deep navy. Easy, effective - highly recommend it!

Anker® 2 x 1900mAh Li-ion Batteries for HTC Sensation, Sensation XE, Sensation 4G, EVO 3D, Amaze 4G [February 2013 updated version with USB charger] + 1 x Travel Charger

5.0 out of 5 stars Game-changing! Who knew smartphone didn't need to mean lousy battery life?!, 16 Aug 2013
I've had lots of different smartphones over the years & they've all had one thing in common - they never lasted a full day on a battery charge. Since I can't see the point of having a smartphone & then killing half the things it can do, I just kind of assumed that my phone dying half way through the day came with the territory. But then I needed to put my laptop in for repair, so I decided to get a second battery just to try to make sure I could have a full day's internet access on my phone. And when I came to research batteries here on Amazon, I was impressed by the reviews for the Anker & ordered - but I wasn't prepared for HOW much difference they would make for me. When I've had everything running all day, there's still a fair bit of juice left when I go to bed. I decided to test how long it would last if I let it run completely down...it lasted more than 36 hours. OK, I wasn't hammering it on that day, but the fact that I KNOW it will never die on me half way through the day is priceless. The battery's charge quickly, seem to hold their charge well & are just the same size as the rubbish ones that cane with the phone...so no need for a new back or anything like that.
Feel pretty stupid these days that it hadn't occurred to me earlier to check out if there was anything I could do to extend my phone's life each day. But just really grateful I stumbled across these batteries & their reviews - serendipity indeed! Great value, great product - trust me - just buy!!

Human Remains
Human Remains

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure...DON'T let the subject matter put you off, 27 July 2013
This review is from: Human Remains (Kindle Edition)
The first bit of this review is likely to just strengthen the desire to avoid this book for those who find the subject matter disturbing. But please - read on & I'll tell you why you should read this novel.
The strange, socially inept and highly intelligent Colin gets aroused by the decomposition of bodies. He discovers he can use NLP, along with other 'tricks', to 'support' people who wish to die,,,or rather no longer wish to live. They get the release they're seeking - & he gets to monitor and log the stages of their decomposition - a perfect NLP 'win-win.' But a civilian analyst who works with the police spots an alarming increase in the number of bodies found in advanced stages of decomposition.
The story is told largely from the alternating views of Annabel, the analyst, and Colin - but these are interspersed with moving pieces from some of the people Colin has 'helped.'
These are the reasons why you should read this novel:-
1. It is beautifully written & far more literary than the subject matter might suggest. But it's not one of those "see-how-well-I-write-it's-so-clever-it's impenetrable" novels.
2. The two main protagonists are multi-faceted, fully fleshed out people. I really cared about Annabel and, while Colin's self-justification, coldness and arrogance are truly chilling, I found myself horribly fascinated by the workings of the mind of this man.
It would have been all too easy to drown out Annabel's voice by the disturbing voice of Colin - but she too has her own demons & Haynes portrays her as a fully realised woman whose life and mind-set follow an arc where we can watch her come to terms with some of her anxieties and re-think some of her assumptions.
3. The tension and excitement of the analyst piecing together the information is palpable. (Haynes herself was an analyst with the police and talks about the feelings when one spots a pattern that might really be important.) So too is the frustration of being considered a "mere" civilian, who has to fight to make her police colleagues take note of the story the data are telling.
4. It's so much more than the story precis might suggest - it's a meditation on society, loneliness and what Haynes call "aloneness."
I'd never heard of Haynes before reading this novel - but I'm now going to download her two earlier works. Yes, the subject matter is unsettling; yes, Colin is truly disturbing...but this book stays with me still. It is a rich,thought-provoking work that I am so glad I discovered.

Sudocrem Moisturising Mousse for Kids and Babies 150ml
Sudocrem Moisturising Mousse for Kids and Babies 150ml
Offered by Cannyalley Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective, easily absorbed - my new go-to hand cream! Not just for babies!, 6 April 2013
I first discovered this when looking for something gentle but effective to treat my daughter's red, cracked hands which had been caused by contact dermatitis. We both fell in love with it - it absorbs quickly and easily and really moisturises and softens. My daughter's hands are healed but we both now use it as our standard hand moisturiser. It doesn't leave a sticky or greasy film - just soft, sweet smelling skin that stays hydrated for a long time.
The only minor negative...it's really hard to release only the tiny amount you need & the mousse continues to seep out for a little while after the nozzle has been pressed. But the consistency & effectiveness mean it still merits 5 stars.

In A Moment
In A Moment

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish & classy, 7 Jan 2013
This review is from: In A Moment (MP3 Download)
Don't tend to leave music reviews (a) cos I'm no expert & (b) cos taste is so individual. And I CERTAINLY don't usually leave reviews on the strength of just two listens. But I'm making an exception largely to counterbalance the 1* review which has nothing to do with the musical merits of the track and everything to do with the reviewer's inability to download the correct offer.
Really like this track already & suspect it's a grower. I can just imagine it as a background track on an achingly cool TV programme. Very recognisably Stereophonics...so I guess it depends on your view of them as a band as to whether you'll like this.

Flow Free: Bridges
Flow Free: Bridges

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically addictive..., 23 Dec 2012
This review is from: Flow Free: Bridges (App)
I was getting withdrawal symptoms after getting perfect for all the Flow Free puzzles. Didn't think this would be as good, but v happy to say I was wrong! Brilliant game...not a reason on earth for you not to get it. Big thanks to the developers xx

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11