Profile for J. Sherry > Reviews

Content by J. Sherry

J. Sherry "johnrsherry1st" (Hertford, England)

adjustable luggage strap
adjustable luggage strap
Offered by Stewart and Gibson Ltd
Price: 2.58

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 28 May 2009
This review is from: adjustable luggage strap (Luggage)
We bought this product to make it easier to find our luggage on the airport carousel. Fortunately I tried it out before we travelled, and found the fastening opened under moderate hand pressure (so the chances of it surviving baggage handling were nil). Ordered too close to the holiday to ask for a refund (another lesson learned), but cutting the straps up and tying them round the suitcase handles made them easier to find (and the only reason this got even one star)

Luxor, Karnak, and the Theban Temples (Egypt Pocket Guides)
Luxor, Karnak, and the Theban Temples (Egypt Pocket Guides)
by Alberto Siliotti
Price: 7.26

4.0 out of 5 stars Not patronising or pretentious, but very useful, 28 May 2009
I bought this book in advance of my first trip to Egypt, having no knowledge of the country's ancient history. First impressions were mixed : it seemed more academic than I expected, but the illustrations made it easier to understand. Now that I am in Egypt (Thanks to wi-fi I'm writing this on the bank of the Nile) the book makes complete sense, and really brings the monuments and artifacts I've seen to life. It also points out the holes in the local guides knowledge (I never point it out - they've got to make a living!)
To summarise, if you're looking for a primer in Ancient Egyptian History, forget this book. If you're coming to Luxor for the first time, and want to see the country through the eyes of it's inhabitants more than 2500 years ago, buy it! You will need no other