Profile for Lucy > Reviews

The Silence of the Lambs [DVD] [1991]
The Silence of the Lambs [DVD] [1991]
Dvd ~ Jodie Foster

5.0 out of 5 stars I ate his liver with a nice Chianti....., 9 April 2008
Truly terrifying, this film certainly lives up to its fantastic reviews. Hannibal Lecter is a brilliant villian who you come to like by the end of the film - yes he's a demented cannibal, but he's also witty and very funny in his totally unique way.

Jodie Foster also plays a part in making this film brilliant - I have to say that this is the best film I've seen her in. You can really believe that she's her character - her fear right at the end of the film when she's stuck in the same room as Buffalo Bill and has no idea, and how uncomfortable she becomes when Lecter grills her about her past make her character very believable.

I think I'm the only one out of my friends who has ever seen this film, and though I'm trying to convince them to see it they all refuse, saying that it sounds absolutely terrifying. Indeed it was the first time I saw it (I made a point to watch it in daylight), but it's so clever and gripping for a horror film, and the fact that it's so realistic makes it more scary.

I recommend this to people who are looking for a real classic film and don't mind horrors too much - those who get scared easily probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as they should!

Die Hard [DVD] [1989]
Die Hard [DVD] [1989]
Dvd ~ Bruce Willis
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the party, Powell!, 9 April 2008
This review is from: Die Hard [DVD] [1989] (DVD)
I have to say that this is one film which I cannot find fault with. It has to be my all time favourite film, and it's something which you can watch again and again and never tire of.

The script is fantastic, and who better to play the part of John MClane than Bruce Willis - he's a brilliant action figure and is also very funny when he wants to be. Alan Rickman also makes a fantastic villian.

To give an overall plot summary, John Mclane is returning from New York to visit his wife Holly at her workplace in the Nakatomi Plaza. Little does he know though that the Plaza is about to be seized by a gang of thieves posing as terrorists who plan to hold everyone in the Plaza hostage until they get through to the building's vault and steal $640 million. Mclane is the only one who hasn't been found by the thieves and must do everything he can to stop them.

I think one of my favourite scenes is when Mclane throws one of the thieves through the window onto Officer Powell's car - pure genius and hilarious. Although Die Hard with a Vengeance is very good, I still think that this film is by far the best out of all of them, and I strongly recommend you buying it!

Syberia (PC)
Syberia (PC)
Offered by SC-WHOLESALE

2.0 out of 5 stars You'd be better off buying some other adventure game, 26 Nov. 2007
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Syberia (PC) (Video Game)
Syberia really isn't that great. Firstly when I bought the game, the graphics were good but it kept making my computer crash. It took ages to finally work properly, and even when it did it still froze when switching from one scene to another.
Now concentrating on the main game, it was quite an interesting storyline to begin with and it had some quite good characters. But after I while I just got really bored. The characters could blab on for ages and I just found myself skipping nearly all of their dialogue. Also the main character, Kate, isn't one of those loveable, memorable characters which keeps you interested in the game.
If you're considering buying a good adventure game, don't get this one. You'd be much better off with The Longest Journey, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, Fahrenheit and especially Grim Fandango. At least their storylines are more gripping.

Fahrenheit (PC DVD)
Fahrenheit (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique and gripping, 22 Aug. 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fahrenheit (PC DVD) (Video Game)
If you're looking for suspense, a good challenge and a game which you can play again without it coming to the same outcome, look no further.
The thing I like about Fahrenheit is its attention to detail, brilliant graphics for a computer and most importantly, you can play the game again after completing it with different outcomes.

The only thing that annoyed me about it was that there's a part in there which involves Lucas, the main character in his apartment and all his stuff is flying around and you have to make him dodge it. There's no right or wrong way to do this because you have to press your computer keys at the right time, like a sort of mini game. It actually took me a month to complete this, but I learnt that you just have to keep at it.

Other than that, I would recommend this game to anyone. Lots of parts in the game I didn't want to play at night because I thought it would scare me even more! (Particularly when Carla is in the Lunatic Asylum and she has to get around it in the dark with all the weirdos on the loose). That brings me on to my next point - having the good range of characters you can switch between. This makes the game more interesting because instead of sticking with one boring character throughout the game you can play three characters and explore their lives within the game.

In conclusion I just want to say that I bought this game because I was looking for a good adventure game. I had, after all just completed Grim Fandango, The Longest Journey and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey so my expectations were pretty high. However, Fahrenheit met my expectations. I still have yet to end the game with the other different outcome, and I look forward to seeing what happens.

The Longest Journey
The Longest Journey

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but don't buy this version, 20 Aug. 2006
This review is from: The Longest Journey (Video Game)
This is an excellent, very funny game with a clever plot and wide range of characters. However I recommend strongly that you do not buy the 4 CD version of the game. I'm not sure that this is the 4 CD version, but as it says it is only compatible for Windows 98/95 I'm pretty sure it is. It is far better to buy the 2 CD version, which is compatible for Windows 2000 and XP.

I bought the 4 CD version to begin with, and after installing it on my computer I had to access the game manually, by clicked on 'Run' in the start menu, going into Drive d: and clicking on the icon 'game.exe'. This wasn't a big problem, so I carried on playing the game. The major problem occured when the game asked me to 'Insert Disc 2'. As soon as I did that, it said that the wrong disc was in the drive, so my computer restarted automatically. I tried to get around the problem several times, but nothing worked.

After going on forums.longestjourney.com I realised that many people had had the same problem. So I decided to get a refund for my copy and buy the newer version, which said on the review that it was suitable for Windows 2000 and XP. It contained 2 discs, but strangely I only used one throughout the whole game.

Otherwise this is an excellent game, which I found quite hard in certain parts but after looking at a walkthrough on the Internet I had to kick myself because it had been simple to work out. So I definitely recommend you buying this game, but PLEASE buy the 2 disc version. Buying this particular Longest journey may give you some of the problems I had, as I am sure that this is the 4 disc version.

(The 2 disc version is the game featured below this, which says that it is compatible with Windows XP - that is a more reliable version)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 12, 2008 12:42 PM GMT

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2)
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2)
Offered by Oligopoly Charity

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 July 2006
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Why are there so many bad reviews for this game? This, in my opinion is the best GTA game there is! It's the only GTA game that has a proper storyline. In GTA 3 you're just a criminal running around doing missions for money. In Vice City you're a guy who just wants to take over the city. But in San Andreas you're Carl Johnson, a guy who wants to regain respect from his brother, as they fell out when their mother was killed. This involves Carl's family, his brother Sweet and his sister Kendall, and of course the rest of Carl's friends who are part of their hood. Yes lots of it is about gangs, but the main plot is to do with Carl's family.

After being released from prison, CJ returns to Los Santos to bury his dead mother. He gets a pretty unpleasant welcome from Sweet, and after the funeral Carl decides to stay in Los Santos and help his brother out, as he has a lot of problems; the Grove Street Hood are failing and losing lots of territory to the Ballas (their worst enemies) and Kendall is dating Caeser, a white man with a gang of his own which Sweet is strongly against. CJ has his own problems to deal with as well, with Officer Tenpenny trying to find ways to arrest CJ again, and enjoying himself whilst he does so.

The great thing about San Andreas is that it uses a lot of ideas from GTA 3, and you instantly recognise little things that have been re-used and improved in San Andreas. For example, Catalina, the crazy woman from GTA 3 works with Carl in a couple of missions. Also Laslow from Chatterbox in GTA 3 is now on a different radio station in San Andreas.

Another feature in San Andreas, one I had been waiting for before it came out is the ability to swim. Not only that, but you can also dive underwater (which is needed for a couple of missions). The graphics are brilliant, and now with the ability to swim you can do crazy stunts and not have to worry about hitting the water and instantly dying. The water looks far more realistic in San Andreas, in comparison to the solid blue coloured stuff in Vice City.

San Andreas also supplies you with a map, which is brilliant for missions or even just simply trying to find a place. This map is also far easier to read than the Vice City map, and it shows you what direction you're facing as well.

You can fly planes or helicopters much easier in San Andreas than in Vice City and GTA 3, and you can also fly really high and leap out whenever you like, so that you can parachute down to the ground again.

This is the best GTA game there is. Yes, there have been complaints about it but if you're mature enough to handle it then you'll have no problems. If bad language offends you then don't buy it, but I'm not a fan of foul language and I just don't notice it after a while. So by all means, BUY IT! You won't regret it. The comments about the graphics certainly aren't true - they're brilliant on my PS2, so why should they be any different on anyone else's?

Grim Fandango - Lucas Arts Classic (PC CD)
Grim Fandango - Lucas Arts Classic (PC CD)
Offered by Digizoneuk

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 28 July 2006
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This may look weird and rubbish, but it's a fabulous game. The main character you play as, Manny Calevera is a brilliant character. The characters are very funny, and the plot is clever and interesting. I am sorry to say that I cheated on a lot of parts of the game, as some parts can be very hard to work out. One of the hardest puzzles is the tree at El Marrow. It usually takes me quite a while to make it shake when moving that wheel barrow back and forth, but after a while you get it. Perhaps some of the characters could have their words more accurately lip synched, but now that I think about it that only really happens when Glottis first meets Manny and speaks to him.

I can't say that any games with supposed humour in them have ever made me laugh, but this game is certainly an exception. Glottis, Manny's driver is a great character, and Manny himself is very funny.

The thing I like most about this game is the originality. It's like a typical businessman having a tough time with his job at first, then becoming a success with his own club, then travelling around the world, trying to find the woman he loves and sprout his enemy Hector Lemans.

I would recommend this game to anyone who likes a challenge and a sense of humour, good or bad.

Grand Theft Auto III (PS2)
Grand Theft Auto III (PS2)
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but the other GTA's seem better, 28 July 2006
This is a brilliant game, however I still think that San Andreas beats all of the GTA series. This is probably partly due to the fact that you can swim in the water in San Andreas, whereas in Vice City and GTA 3 you just die as soon as you hit the water. Also the main character in this story doesn't say a word, which makes it slightly more unrealistic and if the character does speak and have a life of its own, you can discover more about his background and it makes an actual point of the game. These are only minor things however, because when I bought the game I loved it instantly. I still play on it from time to time, but when you buy San Andreas you'll probably spend more time on that.

I own GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas and San Andreas is the only one I have completed. I've had GTA 3 for years now, and still can't complete it (perhaps because I haven't spent as much time on it, due to the fact that I enjoyed San Andreas far more). At least on Vice City I've reached the final level.

Very rarely GTA 3 freezes, but it's always better to save the game after each mission just as a precaution. I would just like to tell people who own the game a little cheat I found out. Instead of paying for the Pay n' Spray to fix your car, put it in your garage where your safehouse is, and walk out so that the door closes. Then walk back into the garage and the car is as good as new. This doesn't get rid of your wanted level, which is a shame, but if you're like me and are always busting up your car then this way is better and cheaper.

Overall the game is very good, but San Andreas is far better, in my opinion. I find the map extremely useful in San Andreas as well, which is not something you get in GTA 3.