Profile for S. J. Williams > Reviews

Content by S. J. Williams
Top Reviewer Ranking: 346

S. J. Williams "stevejw2" (Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
TEMPUR® Original Travel Pillow
TEMPUR® Original Travel Pillow

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars. Good, but does one size really fit all for a product like this?, 3 Feb. 2016
As a new convert (with some caveats) to these Tempur pillows, I was keen to try the travel version: I ALWAYS take a pillow when traveling as I have quite a lot of neck discomfort.
The travel version is compact, rolls up well into the provided carry pouch and is slightly less than half the size of the full size versions. However, there is only one height, a good deal less than the extra large that I use for every night use. I'm guessing the travel version is the medium, though, unhelpfully, nowhere online or anywhere else for that matter, is a size given. As the whole point of these pillows is the quality of neck support and posture control, that seems a massive oversight.

Of course, I can build the height up as required, but at this price I really think Tempur could and should offer a choice.

Tempur Original Queen Extra Large Memory Foam Pillow
Tempur Original Queen Extra Large Memory Foam Pillow
Offered by bettenhaus

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for posture and support, but not exactly comfortable., 3 Feb. 2016
I'm a fairly recent convert to this kind of pillow and was pretty reluctant to go for something so solid and unyielding: my preferred pillow is goose down which is soft but if chosen well can be luxuriously comfortable but also provide the right height to give good neck support. I have had surgery for neck problems so getting my sleep position right is crucial to me, and I was beginning to find the down pillows just too variable in getting the neck support right.

I have to say that I have been very positively surprised by the Tempur pillow: I have had less neck pain during the day and generally slept well. The pillow certainly takes some getting used to for someone with my preferences, but I would definitely recommend it as an option. However, I strongly feel that this kind of pillow, though maintaining good sleep posture, does NOT give the sort of comfort I really like in the down pillows: it's good for me, but I don't enjoy laying my head down as much as I did. And if one is having a wakeful night, there is nothing her to plump up, rearrange or get cosy with. I think those issues have to be borne in mind when choosing to buy.

Teach Yourself Visually OS X El Capitan (Teach Yourself VISUALLY (Tech))
Teach Yourself Visually OS X El Capitan (Teach Yourself VISUALLY (Tech))
by Paul McFedries

3.0 out of 5 stars Good within a limited scope., 29 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like it, but only for the Mac novice. If you have experience of OSX in its previous incarnation then this has too little to offer that would justify the very significant price.

But, for an inexperienced or start up user, the design and comprehensive visuals of this book make it an appealing option, though other books cover a far wider and deeper range of possible uses: and the pretty basic stuff in this guide could be very quickly mastered. Then, do you buy another book?

Good for what it attempts to do, but expensive and probably not something you will use once youv'e mastered the basic stuff.

Liteway 5 W SES E14 Candle LED Bulb, 40 W Traditional Replacement, 400 Lumens - Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars The way forward, 16 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Superb, warm light in a very environmentally friendly package. Very economical to run.

I've bought some more!

Tefal Kitchen Machine QB502140 Beater, Die Cast Dough Hook, Beater and Patented Flex Whisk , 1.5 L  - White
Tefal Kitchen Machine QB502140 Beater, Die Cast Dough Hook, Beater and Patented Flex Whisk , 1.5 L - White

5.0 out of 5 stars A great mixer. Wish it floated., 15 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an impressive mixer, and good value compared to similar products, many of which come at a higher price tag. It is well built and powerful: kneading dough is managed with ease while more delicate tasks are just as well handled. The steel bowl is excellent and the machine is designed so that in use one is not deafened by clanging.

The manual is graphic based, and not always very clear, but ultimately all was fine.

Unfortunately, two days after its first use we were flooded on Boxing Day and the mixer ruined as it was in our garage to free up space in our kitchen. but will definitely replace when the insurers settle up.

Panasonic ES-LT6N 3 Blade Wet/Dry Electric Shaver for Men
Panasonic ES-LT6N 3 Blade Wet/Dry Electric Shaver for Men

3.0 out of 5 stars A good razor, but pricey and for me, not so effective, 23 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good shaver: charges quickly and cuts beard well. I like the wet/dry versatility too.

But it's pricey, has an over large cutting head, for me anyway, and I find the mobility of the head in standard use, VERY unhelpful as it does not seem, to me, to follow facial contours smoothly. (There MUST be a trade off between head size and contour moulding and I dont think this has got it right. OK, I'm a double edge razor user, but this certainly is no quicker, needing areas to be gone over again and again to get the precision and closeness that the traditional method achieves. and even in wet use isn't as invigorating as a traditional shave. Will keep it for weekend breaks and hand luggage only flights.

Wacom Bamboo Stylus Fineline 2 Case for iPad 3/iPad Mini
Wacom Bamboo Stylus Fineline 2 Case for iPad 3/iPad Mini

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate but overpriced., 27 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This product is OK. It pairs straightforwardly with my ipad mini and functionality is fine with an appropriate app, but £40 for a product that looks little better than a biro, especially as there are as good for less and better for a similar price. I have and use an Adonit Jot script 2 which feels and looks like a sophisticated product, and Adonit jot pro finepoint which is half the price of this.

So, the wacom does what it should at a pretty steep price which is not justified by its 'build' quality: but I guess a positive is that no one is likely to see it, covet and pinch it!

Panasonic ES-LT2N 3 Blade Wet/Dry Electric Shaver for Men
Panasonic ES-LT2N 3 Blade Wet/Dry Electric Shaver for Men

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very good, if rather pricey, shaver., 23 Nov. 2015
First, my perspective.
I shave using a double edge razor, traditional soap sticks and a very good quality badger brush. I enjoy the process, the paraphernalia and the time spent doing it, for me, is a relaxing part of my post shower routine. But I have to concede that the process can be time consuming, though less than most who don't shave that way might think. Outlay for a really good shave can be extraordinarily inexpensive too, compared with those razors where you are forced to buy own brand cassettes.

This is a good shaver, delivering close shave in both wet and dry uses. Charging is very quick: you can get by with a 5 minute battery boost if the razor is completely flat, and full charge only takes an hour, though one slight disadvantage might be that the razor will not work while charging: if the battery's flat and you cannot wait five minutes, you go out bristly.

The razor seems well built: good quality materials and the foil and blades are well engineered to give a close shave. I will certainly be using this for those weekends away with just carry on luggage where traditional razor blades are not permitted in the cabin. For everyday use I will be sticking with my double edged razor. Apart from the enjoyment I get from the process, there is no question in my opinion that the way I shave gives me the closest cut possible: good as the Panasonic is, it doesn't achieve that smoothness that I like and the feeling of freshness that I get every day. It IS quicker in dry use: when using gel and water, there is very little, if anything in it as far as speed is concerned.

But for the confirmed electric razor user, I think this is a very good choice, the closest shave and best built razor I have tried of the kind. I WILL use it for speedy tidying shaves where speed is of the absolute essence, and for carry on luggage trips. But everyday use will be with my DE razor. Would make a nice gift, though seems to me a little pricey, but only for those already shaving this way.

AmazonBasics On-Ear Headphones - White
AmazonBasics On-Ear Headphones - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good for the money!, 22 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are good value, basic headphones. I listen to classical music, generally, and it is true that these struggle a little with clarity and depth in orchestral and operatic repertoire, but frankly, at this price I would have expected less quality in the sound image.

A bigger problem for me is the fit. I have a large hat size, though not off the richter scale (7.5) but I cannot wear these properly with the band going over the top of my head. And the tension in the band is such that wearing the band a little to the rear doesn't work as it isn't tight enough to stay in place. Worth considering this point if you have a large hat size.

Polti Unico MCV20 Allergy Multifloor Vacuum with Steam Cleaner
Polti Unico MCV20 Allergy Multifloor Vacuum with Steam Cleaner
Offered by Shopcorp

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but I would think very carefully about needs, before buying, 18 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This machine works well as a steam cleaner and is surprisingly effective as a vacuum cleaner, though as others have commented, its capacity in that mode is only 0.8 litres so perhaps not something you might want to use as your main vac. It is excellent on kitchen and bathroom floor tiles, hardwood floors, which it does not leave so wet as to put the surface at risk and soft furnishings.

In steam mode it works very well, infinitely superior to Polti Vaporetto Pure Steam Cleaner, 3.5 Bar which is in my view pretty poorly made, awkward to handle and doesn't work as effectively or as efficiently as I was expecting.

This product is well made, using good quality plastics and has a powerful, though not overly noisy motor. Hoses are flexible but sturdy, unlike the Vaporetto's, which are neither, and far easier to handle, despite its size and weight: light and insubstantial can make one feel one is wrestling with cooked spaghetti.

However, the Unico's size and weight IS a significant issue. It takes some handling to shift it from room to room and I think few would want this machine unless it did all that was required in a particular home. If you live in a home with lots of hard surfaces rather than carpet, then I think this would perhaps be a good choice, though I would recommend seeing it in the flesh, so to speak, before committing, to get some idea of its physical size and weight. If you have lots of carpets, I would think you may well want a better vac and possibly a separate steam cleaner of some sort. The price that is being asked for this appliance would, I think enable that to be managed within this price bracket.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20