Profile for JPLovebooks > Reviews

Princess DisGrace
by Lou Kuenzler
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A new spin on the princess tale, 23 April 2014
This review is from: Princess DisGrace (Paperback)
Grace is my kind of princess -- a bit of a klutz, often in trouble but with a heart of gold. Her adventures at school are fun and very funny. My 11 year old read this and adored it -- a perfect end of the week, exhausted from school escape. We read it for a second time together and both giggled. Younger readers would happily gobble it up too. The story is fast paced and a great romp as Grace becomes an unlikely addition to the school. Fingers crossed for more adventures of our favourite new princess Grace!

Vegetable Literacy: Cooking and Gardening with Twelve Families from the Edible Plant Kingdom, with Over 300 Deliciously Simple Recipes
by Deborah Madison
Price: 20.40

5.0 out of 5 stars A hefty and heavenly tome!, 24 Feb 2014
I have been a huge -- and I mean huge -- fan of Deborah Madison for many years. Her writing is clean and clear and full of passion without being preachy. The first thing you'll notice is that the book is gorgeous. The photography and design are fantastic and the vegetables all look amazing. But it's not a coffee table book -- it begs to be read and savoured. Deborah has brought together an incredible wealth of knowledge about vegetables so I constantly had "I didn't know that" moments which is a very good sign. She focuses on well known and lesser known vegetables and shares her passion so that you too want to get growing (and cooking). I highly recommend it.

Sharp Objects
Sharp Objects
by Gillian Flynn
Price: 4.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Gone Girl, 22 May 2013
This review is from: Sharp Objects (Paperback)
I read Gone Girl first based on the amazing reviews I'd read. I liked it but I wasn't over the moon. But then I read Sharp Objects and I thought -- wow, this is good. The writing is tight, economical and the characters are very well-drawn. A bit of Southern Gothic-family-dysfunction mixed with some nasty murders and a first person protagonist going off the rails and you've got the makings for a great tale. I passed it on to my husband and he agrees -- no mean feat.

The Modern Vegetarian: Food adventures for the contemporary palate
The Modern Vegetarian: Food adventures for the contemporary palate
by Maria Elia
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous addition to the library, 16 Mar 2013
I have a lot of cookery books -- and I mean a lot. So I'm a bit wary about new ones as it seems harder and harder to find one that feels really different. But Maria Elia does it with this book. It's imaginative and -- most importantly -- the dishes are mouth watering. This isn't vegetarian food where you feel that the chef simply removed the meat. These are recipes where the veg is the star. The combinations are unexpected which is part of the allure but never too way out. What Maria does that is so great is to make you think of ingredients differently. Miso leaves it's traditional Japanese roots and goes Mediterranean in a marinade for her kataifi-wrapped aubergines. Watermelon goes savoury in a curry. The recipes aren't complicated but are packed with flavour. A must!

Shrinking Violet
Shrinking Violet
by Lou Kuenzler
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars My 10 year's olds new favourite, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: Shrinking Violet (Paperback)
I gave this book to my daughter for Christmas. I read a couple of chapters to her aloud then she took over and read it in a day. She absolutely adored it. It is laugh out loud funny and very sweet as we witness the trials and tribulations of Violet. The author portrays the foibles of adults perfectly and captures everything from the child's perspective. I've already ordered the next in the series and my daughter -- and I -- eagerly await its arrival.