Profile for LoisLane > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
EXPANDING GARDEN HOSE PIPE As seen on TV 50FT
EXPANDING GARDEN HOSE PIPE As seen on TV 50FT

2.0 out of 5 stars Tap connector too small, 26 Jun 2014
Sadly, the tap connector was too small for my kitchen tap. It's a single size and isn't adjustable so back it goes.

UPDATE The company has just asked for £4.29 to return it!

Canon CanoScan LiDE 210 Scanner
Canon CanoScan LiDE 210 Scanner
Offered by Tudor Office Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy set up for Macs, 8 Nov 2012
I installed this on a Mac running OS Lion with no problems. Perfectly easy to use and good quality scans. As others have pointed out, install the software before you plug in the scanner or you'll ave to start again and that is clearly stated. Very good value.

Jerusalem
Jerusalem
by Yotam Ottolenghi

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 12 Sep 2012
This review is from: Jerusalem (Hardcover)
This is the third of the Ottolenghi cookbooks I've bought and I think this is their greatest. By focusing on the food of their childhood and native city, they have achieved something akin to Claudia Roden's The Book of Jewish Food, though this is a far more sumptuous and beautiful production. The city is the most politically contested on earth, it arouses such rage and fervour amongst those who have never set foot in the place, but these two men, both gay, one Palestinian, one Jewish, have shown us what it is like to have this place as your culinary language. In other words to have your sensory roots there.

The recipes are astonishing. I have made two and not only have they been easy, they have been a triumph. I'm Jewish, I have been to Jerusalem many times, the food seems to be the food I was born to make and to eat, fresh, simple, without fuss, rooted in centuries of tradition with the innovation and the vigour of successive new arrivals.

I'll be cooking from this for the rest of my life. Thanks Sami and Yotam.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2012 6:47 PM BST

Yogalates: 2 - Total Body Toner [DVD]
Yogalates: 2 - Total Body Toner [DVD]
Dvd ~ Yogalates

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for absolute beginners, 31 July 2012
I was recommended this by a friend after a diagnosis of both hip and neck arthritis. I've just done the first session and found that it was prefect for someone like me with a lot of physical problems. It's true that her voice is irritating but the huge advantage of her talking all the time is that you only have to glance at the screen to check the movement. She's with you all the way and takes into account neck and back issues. I played it on my MacBook and it worked fine.

Belkin USB 2.0 7-PORT HUB * WHITE
Belkin USB 2.0 7-PORT HUB * WHITE

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly with Mac, 17 July 2011
I'd never used a hub before but the paltry two USB ports on a Macbook made it necessary. There was so much packaging that I failed to find the instructions until an hour after I plugged it in, and when I did they seemed to contain nothing about Macs anyway. No drivers needed to be downloaded. I plugged in my external keyboard, typed a few letters into the google search box, and bingo, it was working. Printer fine, flash drive fine. I'm using it without the power cable and it seems fast enough for me. It's very light and would fit easily into a laptop bag. The only infuriating thing is that I bought it from John Lewis. It was £29.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2011 7:08 AM BST

NU Dolphin 1GB 100% Waterproof MP3 Player w/ Headphones
NU Dolphin 1GB 100% Waterproof MP3 Player w/ Headphones

1.0 out of 5 stars No transfer from CDs or iTunes, 31 Oct 2009
Set it up, transferred some tracks, nothing. The demo track works but nothing I've added plays. The 'manual' is a flimsy sheet of paper containing extremely basic information. In tiny print it sends you to its website to download the manual. There is no manual. Its troubleshooting guide is extremely basic and is translated from Taiwanese. Its European aftersales support consists of an online form which requites you to fill in your GPS (?) and without that information it will not forward your problem.

The Taiwan based company have now informed me in an email: 'Please understanding, itune is not our recommend software to convert files and we don't recommend any software to our end users. In fact, we don't have the duty for this because we don't sell this software with our product.
We let you know this information only for customer service, but we don't encourage our user convert the CD music to mp3 format.'

In other words, you can't transfer from iTunes and you can't transfer from CDs

Shattered Dreams
Shattered Dreams
by Judah Passow

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 26 Oct 2009
This review is from: Shattered Dreams (Hardcover)
This is one of the great works of photojournalism, and certainly one of the greatest to emerge from the Israel-Palestinian conflict. It is a testimony to war, occupation, the human cost of conflict by a photographer who has covered both Palestine and Israel for decades. These intensely moving, powerful images will stay in your mind for years to come, if not the rest of your life. The image on the cover, of a boy hiding a fist full of stones behind his back, is juxtaposed against a photo of the mid section of an Israeli soldier, tooled up with all the most modern equipment. The contrast, the power imbalance, could not be more striking.

Those who expect another political essay, the usual rehash of the old arguments will no doubt be disappointed. They will put a magnifying glass over the book looking for evidence of departure from their own political point of view, and will miss the entire point of this book, whose meaning is inherent in its title.

In years to come, if this conflict is ever resolved, Shattered Dreams will be what the people of Palestine and Israel will show their children, pointing to the dark past of occupation, colonialism, war and the fragments of peace that survive in everyday life.

Ottolenghi: The Cookbook
Ottolenghi: The Cookbook
by Yotam Ottolenghi

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh, yum, 8 July 2009
I bought this book a few months ago and put it on a shelf after it arrived and forgot about it. A couple of days ago I made a fennel and feta recipe and it was good. Last night I made a broadbean and radish salad with green tahini dressing and thought I had died and gone to heaven. It was one of the most delicious things I had ever eaten. Yotam Ottolenghi's witty and warm essays about cooking and eating, the sensual qualities of his cuisine and the search for a new style of eating, are a joy to read. I've eaten in the restaurant in Islington several times, the book brings that experience into my own home. Just staggeringly good food, healthy and an explosion of taste. And not at all difficult to make.

Apple iPod touch 16GB - 2nd Generation (discontinued by manufacturer)
Apple iPod touch 16GB - 2nd Generation (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant once the bugs ironed out, 25 Nov 2008
I have deleted a previously too hasty review. I now think this is an amazing little gadget. The chief drawback was that I could not get my email account set up, but once I took it in to the Apple shop they got it up and running and then I really saw what it was about. Free email and internet access anywhere in the world where there is wifi, means that it's possible to dispense with a BlackBerry.

The guide is not that helpful and you do have to hunt to find out how to do things such as downloading your Outlook contents. The keyboard size makes it easy to make mistakes, but as I started to explore the apps, I could see what a revolutionary product this really is.

The Diana Chronicles
The Diana Chronicles
by Tina Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars A cool glittering read, 2 July 2007
This review is from: The Diana Chronicles (Hardcover)
Unlike those who seem to have hastily dashed off a line of abuse without much evidence of having read the book, I have indeed read it.

I have read no other royal biographies, and I read this one because I'm interested in the subject and because Tina Brown was one of the foremost editors of her day so whatever she has to say will at least be interesting.

As others have noted, there are no new revelations, no previously untapped sources. What Tina Brown does is to impose her cool, critical intelligence on Diana, her life, and particularly her relationship with the media. Aged 25, Brown was editor of Tatler, the Sloane's house journal and the early parts of the book which deal with Diana's time between leaving home and marrying Charles are insightful for that understanding. They helped me understand how this tabula rasa, this completely unformed individual reacted inside the Firm.

If anyone or anything comes off badly, it is the institution of the monarchy, not merely a political anachronism but a world into which no modern girl could enter without self-immolation.

Page: 1 | 2