Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Shop Suki Ad Campaign Pieces Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Discover more Shop now
Profile for D. Mccaffrey > Reviews

Content by D. Mccaffrey

D. Mccaffrey "DeckyStrikesBack" (Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Mad Max: Fury Road [Blu-ray] [2015] [Region Free]
Mad Max: Fury Road [Blu-ray] [2015] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Tom Hardy
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars What A Blu Ray, What A Lovely Blu Ray!, 2 Oct. 2015
Doof Warrior on Blu Ray?? YES PLEASE

Fury Road is surely one of the most impressive films of 2015, my Blu Ray arrived on Thursday morning and the transfer is quite stunning, The colours pop off the screen, and it has a level of grain throughout but retains its sharpness and looks natural.

Fury Road is a film that goes for the jugular. I have a strong love for The Road Warrior, but have quite a dislike for Thunderdome (particularly the second half) and am indifferent to the original. Im pleased to report this fourth film is pretty spectacular.
The practical effects and stunts in this film are to be commended and it really is a 120 minute race to the finish line that never stops for breath.

Is it as good as The Road Warrior? For me, no. Its pretty damn close, but I simply missed Mel too much. The whole film I just thought to myself how much I would have loved this films with an older Gibson taking on the role. Hardy is absolutely fine though.

The special features are decent and actually give me even more respect for the film than I already had, the effort and craftsmanship on show here are to be seriously commended.
You get a 30 minute documentary on the production of the film called Maximum Fury
Theres a good look at the vehicles from the films in the 23 minute Fury On Four Wheels
4 minutes of raw footage on the stunts of the film (how was nobody injured!)
and there are three more featurettes (approx 12 minutes each) about the five wives, design department and Hardy and Theron.

There is alot to love about Fury Road, but even more to respect. This is a film to be rewatched and savoured.

Blu Ray comes with digital copy, and no slipcover which for some reason I though would be included.

Star Wars Rebels Season 1 [DVD]
Star Wars Rebels Season 1 [DVD]
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Wars Rebels Season 1 - DVD Review, 14 Sept. 2015
I enjoyed Spark Of Rebellion when released on DVD last year, but the following 3 or 4 episodes of Rebels didn't grab me the way I hoped.
I was very excited to pick up this 3 disc set of season one though. I LOVE Star Wars and can report that I enjoyed Season 1 of Rebels immensely and it gets better with each episode. (The finale is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING).It looks and sounds like original trilogy Star Wars, with the sense of fun missing from the prequels.
There is very little talk of 'Route Trades' and 'Senators' (shudders)
The visual style was controversial, never as good looking as Clone Wars, but I have got used to it. As Rebels is a Disney show, the Clone Wars dark tone is missing. Clone Wars really pushed the PG rating at times.

This is a 3 disc set

Picture and sound is solid, I skipped the Blu Ray version as I wanted this to match my 6 Clone Wars boxsets.

Each disc has 5 episodes, and each episode gets its own 4/5 minute documentary called Rebels Recon which can be fun and informative.

Disc 1 has the trailer for The Force Awakens (the one with Han and Chewie at the end....its OK, I cried too)

Spark Of Rebellion (previously released as a single disc) has been split into two 21 minute episodes, and has a new opening scene featuring Darth Vader. I felt the two part approach suited this story better as half way through the plot does shift focus.

Disc 3 has a sneak preview of Season 2 (3 minute discussion with Dave Filoni and 3 minute trailer)
It also has a 'Guide' to Rebels (a handy 20 minute recap of the events of Season 1)

The four mini episodes from the previous DVD are not included, so if you bought it previously you might want to hang onto it.

There are English, French, Polish, German and Italian subtitles.

I'm glad I give this series a second chance as by the season finale, I was loving it and can't wait for more!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 15, 2015 8:41 AM BST

Austin 3:16 Stone Cold Steve Austin Inspired T-Shirt Medium
Austin 3:16 Stone Cold Steve Austin Inspired T-Shirt Medium
Offered by Postees
Price: 8.95

4.0 out of 5 stars GIMME A HELL YEAH!, 10 Sept. 2015
I love love LOVE Stone Cold Steve Austin, and unlike alot of wrestling T-shirts, this classic one is timeless and doesn't date.
This T-shirt is Iconic and dirt cheap, for around 6 and delivery within 24 hours I really can't complain.
BUT I will a little bit....
I ordered a medium, and it was way too baggy. I ordered a small the next morning and it was relatively snug. I think I'm an small medium in clothes ha ha!
Also, the print doesn't seem to me that it will hold up to many washes.
I really feel bad complaining about this item at the price but I do love it though.
I feel like an absolute bad-ass walking around it it!

Star Wars The Force Awakens 3.75-Inch Forest Mission Captain Phasma Figure
Star Wars The Force Awakens 3.75-Inch Forest Mission Captain Phasma Figure
Offered by J & L Toys
Price: 11.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Captain Phasma Has Landed, 8 Sept. 2015
So Force Friday has come and gone - did you get what you were after?

Star Wars 3 3/4" line goes on, but sadly, with only 5 points of articulation. Having seen all 12 of these new figures, I was pleasantly surprised with the sculpt and paint. The loss of articulation is terrible, but these are the only 3 3/4" scale Force Awakens figures we're getting for now (although WalMart will continue the super poseable line as an exclusive in the US)

My favourite of these figures is Captain Phasma. One of the new big bads from Episode VII and leader of the First Order Stormtroopers.
The figure is quite tall and has a wonderful sculpt and tight paint-job. She moves at the neck, arms and legs.The cloak is solid plastic and removable by popping the head off. She comes with a blaster and (in my opinion) part of the the pointless 'build a weapon' gimmick. To me this is wasted plastic and unnecessary.

The packaging is quite striking, as it is with all the figures in the series- some really lovely artwork on it.

This figure is not worth the 25+ people are looking for online, its disgusting.
Search your local Asda and you will find them plentiful at 9.97. If not, wait a while. By Christmas these will be everywhere. Even at a tenner, they're overpriced as in America they are approx $6.

The characters look and sculpt is excellent. The decrease in articulation is awful. The prices people demand is sickening.

WWE Elite Series 37 Action Figure - Dean Malenko
WWE Elite Series 37 Action Figure - Dean Malenko
Offered by Sophie110792
Price: 25.00

4.0 out of 5 stars The Iceman Cometh, 1 Sept. 2015
Some of Mattels best ever WWE figures have been flashbacks.
If I was asked which characters were on my wish list, Dean Malenko really wasn't one of them. At least, not high up on the list.
Nothing wrong with Dean, he was an outstanding wrestler in WCW and was great in the Radicals in WWF/E during the Attitude Era.
This figure just isn't very interesting and I can't imagine kids wanting to add him to their collection.
His attire is accurate but quite bland. His head sculpt is decent, but not great (it looks better in hand though) His accessories are very good,
A removable jacket made from a softer rubbery material than previously used, making it easier to put on and take off and he comes with the WWE Cruiserweight Championship belt,that previously came with Elite 32's Rey Mysterio.

Articulation is the same as all Elite, which means its plentiful and sturdy.
Paint is unexceptional but absolutely fine with no slop or mess.

This figure has 3 issues (but really only one bothered me)
1) His stubble is gone, this was shown on prototypes and it looked better.
2) Dean never held the WWE Cruiserweight Championship that he comes with
3) On the packaging it says he comes with the US Title.

The Man Of 1000 Holds is another welcome addition to my collection, but after the likes of Doink, Legion Of Doom and Junkyard Dog is recent waves, he is certainly a let down.

Vacation [Blu-ray]
Vacation [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Ed Helms
Price: 24.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Holiday Road - The Next Generation, 29 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Vacation [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I have read ALOT of bad reports about this film, but had to see it due to the fact it was a sequel (NOT A REMAKE) to a franchise I love and because of the inclusion of Clarke and Ellen.
Vacation (2015) starts with Holiday Road playing over the credits. I was grinning from ear to ear immediately. I was sitting waiting for Chevy and Beverly's cameos, but to my surprise, I actually found myself liking Rusty and his family. They were all decent characters and I took to them a few minutes into the film and was quite happy to spend time with them.
The film is WAY funnier than I expected. I laughed a heck of a lot at this film and is the most I've laughed at a film in 2015. To be fair though it hasn't been a vintage year for comedy.
The first hour was funniest, it seemed to run out of steam after they left Audrey's house. Another issue was most of the films best jokes are in the trailers. A common problem these days.
There are plenty of winks and nudges to the earlier films which I appreciated.
Cousin Eddie gets mentioned but sadly isn't seen, and Clarke and Ellen have a very funny cameo but could have had a few more minutes screen time.
Overall - a solid and funny addition to the series and enjoyed alot more than European Vacation and Christmas Vacation 2. So to say its only the third worst in the series was a nice surprise!

WWE: Monday Night War Vol. 1 - Shots Fired [Blu-ray]
WWE: Monday Night War Vol. 1 - Shots Fired [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Sting
Price: 34.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Years In Wrestling, 21 Aug. 2015
This series has long been available on the WWE Network but if you're like me and still enjoy the physical format, this Blu Ray was my most awaited WWE release this year.
This three disc sets for approx 11 and a half hours and contains the first ten hour long episodes of the show. Each episode ends with a new interview segment with Triple H and Sting, and disc 3 contains over an hour of bonus material not available on the DVD version.

I thoroughly enjoyed this set, but have a couple of serious issues with it.

WCW isnt represented on the front cover art, OK, maybe they will on Volume 2? No - The Rock is on the cover.

I love Sting, and enjoyed the new post episode of interviews, but his replies are repetive sometimes "I don't remember" "I've never seen that match" or "I never heard of that"
A small niggle maybe.

Also, the biggest issue of all - ALOT of footage, interviews and audio are repeated from episode to episode. Seriously, there's a clip of Chyna holding, ahem, a large sausage, which is shown in episode 2, 3 and 4.
Episodes focusing on particular superstars (Austin, Bret Hart and Foley) feel like condensed versions of their own previously released documentaries.

I really enjoyed this set. and it brought back amazing memories of my favourite era in wrestling. Roll on Vol 2 on October, but the above little issues stopped the set from being a five star product.

This set also has English subtitles.
Full content listing below:

The Announcement of Monday Nitro
WCW Press Conference • August 14, 1995

Nitro Announcement Promos

A Montreal Conspiracy?

DX Invasion – “Raw Footage”

The Monster Squad (1987) All Region DVD (Region 1,2,3,4,5,6 Compatible)
The Monster Squad (1987) All Region DVD (Region 1,2,3,4,5,6 Compatible)

5.0 out of 5 stars Region Free Korean The Monster Squad DVD, 15 Aug. 2015

I watched Monster Squad on Now TV during the week and it was like it was made specifically for me. I've always known of the film and loved the concept, but somehow never watched it. How has this gem eluded me for so long?!

I instantly hit up Amazon to purchase it (preferably on Blu Ray) but knew it was never released in the UK. Any version I could find was either over-priced or region locked.

This Korean version (which I initially feared was a counterfeit as I can't find any info regarding it) was the cheapest option. Im pleased to report it does the job nicely.
The text on the front and back of the cover is 80% Korean and the rest in English. The print on the cover and disc is perfect.
The film itself is in English with Korean and English subtitles available on the menu. Picture and sound is fine - typical DVD quality.
The running time of this film on Now TV is 72 minutes. This DVD cover states its 92, but when i played the disc it is 82 minutes long.

So glad to own this film, it will definitely be watched again soon!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2015 10:26 PM BST

WWE Basic Series 53 Tyler Breeze Figure
WWE Basic Series 53 Tyler Breeze Figure
Offered by Midco Toys Ltd
Price: 13.97

5.0 out of 5 stars First Time In The Line - Tyler Breeze, 14 Aug. 2015
I'm an adult collector of Mattel's WWE line and have a sad little rule where I must have at least one of each character they release.
I have literally NO idea who Tyler Breeze is, but his distinct attire made him a must buy for me.
This is a 'first time in the line' figure of an nXt Superstar and as with alot of Mattels figures, this is mostly re-used parts.
The new headsculpt is excellent and the image of Tyler. He also has new fur boot covers placed over the lower legs.
Paintwork is excellent, with no slop or mess and the belt and detailing on the purple trousers are clean.
Build quality is excellent. All points of articulation move freely but feel solid, so as a toy this fulfills it duties!

Note: I know Mattels 'basic' figures have a 'no accessory' rule, but based on photos and videos I have checked, I really feel this character needs a little mobile phone!

Tremors 4: The Legend Begins [Blu-ray] [2004] [Region Free]
Tremors 4: The Legend Begins [Blu-ray] [2004] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Michael Gross
Price: 8.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Prequel!, 9 Aug. 2015
Tremors 4 is so close to being very good, but a few things hold it back. Like Tremors 3, its around 15 minutes too long.
It has the worst characters our of all 4 films (apart from Michael Gross as Burt Gummers great grandfather) and weaker writing this time.
The music is also so cheap and distracting. I know its a straight to DVD film, but it doesn't look like one - the music definitely tells you you are in straight to DVD territory though.
What really surprised me about this film though, is the excellent creature effects. Its a massive step up from the lacklustre Tremors 3, with a more subtle use of CGI and some fantastic practical effects. Its also considerably more violent than Tremors 3, hence the 12 rating. This film clearly had a larger budget.

I liked alot about this film, but the awful characters just took me out of the film too much.

Blu Ray release is poor. No bonus material to speak off, but picture and sound quality are decent.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20