Profile for D. Mccaffrey > Reviews

Content by D. Mccaffrey

D. Mccaffrey "DeckyStrikesBack" (Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Annabelle [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]
Annabelle [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Ward Horton

2.0 out of 5 stars As Generic As You Can Get!, 28 Feb. 2015
To be honest, if this film wasn't connected to the excellent The Conjuring, I wouldn't have even acknowledged it.
Annabelle is a prequel, and it is so generic from start to finish I doubt I will ever watch it again.
The acting is fine, the visuals are fine and picture and sound on the Blu Ray are excellent.
But this film just never seems to start. Its so dull and poorly paced I got very bored during it and found myself looking at the clock.
It relies on loud and false jump scares every ten minutes or so to either A) Make you jump or B) Check you're awake.
Mark Kermode correctly refers to this as 'cattle prod horror'
I really can't recommend this film whatsoever and it adds nothing interesting to the story told in The Conjuring.
Includes a slipcase, digital copy and bonus features which I have no interest in ever checking out!

Happy Days: Fifth Season [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Happy Days: Fifth Season [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Henry Winkler
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

4.0 out of 5 stars Season Five Jumps The Shark, But Survives., 22 Feb. 2015
One of the most entertaining, warm and funny sit-coms of all time.
Season five has (so far) been released on Region 1 only - if you want this series, you WILL need a multi region player.
It is a four disc set housed in a standard Amaray case. There are English subtitles, the picture and sound are excellent and there are no bonus features (unless you include the fourth anniversary episode)
This season marks a turning point for the show - a decline in quality beginning with the infamous three parter where The Fonz (and the show) jump the shark. The show is still incredibly likable and quite simply cheers me up.
This season also introduces Chachi and Leather Tuscedero, and has the episode featuring Mork. There are some gems in this set, Richie Nearly Dies actually brought me to tears. Our Gang is a flashback episode to how Richie and The Fonz met.
There are music edits in this season as other reviews have mention. These are unfortunate, but less distracting that I expected - Except for one. Originally, Leather sings Johnny B Goode in the log cabin episode. On the DVD it plays generic rock music, and Leather can be seen singing but no words come out of her mouth!
There is one bonus feature - The Fourth Anniversary Special. This is a clip show, and a particularly weak one as it shows alot of clips that were used in Season 4's anniversary episode!
Overall, a brilliant purchase and the show was (mostly) still going strong at this stage. Season 6 is also currently available on Region 1 DVD.

NECA Planet of The Apes 7" Classic Series 2 Dr. Zaius v. 2 Action Figure
NECA Planet of The Apes 7" Classic Series 2 Dr. Zaius v. 2 Action Figure
Offered by Infinity & Beyond

5.0 out of 5 stars "I Love You Doctor Zauis!", 22 Feb. 2015
I nearly skipped this figure, since I got the Dr Zauis from Series 1. Whilst I think it was an odd move to release two such similar figures within two waves, this second version of the good Doctor is completely different, and in my opinion, superior.
The headscan is a vast improvement. The sculpt here is so tight, and the paint on the face and hair is razor sharp. The sculpting on the costume is beautiful and the solid paintwork helps the sculpt, instead of taking away from it. Articulation is plentiful.
Dr Zauis attire here is based on his appearance in the second half of the first film.
If you own the first version, I would still highly recommend this one. Plus, there are plenty of orangutans in the original Apes films, you could easily display them both as two different characters.
His only accessory is his walking stick.
Comes in nice cardboard packaging perfect for collectors - the figure can be removed from and returned to packaging with no damage.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Megan Fox

4.0 out of 5 stars Much Better Than I Heard It Was - Give It A Shot!, 18 Feb. 2015
I had low expectations for this film but was pleasantly surprised when I seen it in the cinema. At home on Blu Ray it was just as much fun!
I'll always have a soft spot for the TMNT, particularly the first two live action films and the original animated series.
I found this film to be poorly written with a ho-hum plot, but when the characters are so well handled and the action is this much fun, I found myself forgiving it. It is a film about ninja teenagers that happen to be mutant turtles after all!

The picture quality on the Blu Ray is perfection. Show case material. The CGI looks stunning, the fight scenes are well directed, clear to see and the picture quality has a depth to it. Very colourful too. The sound also was excellent.

Bonus material doesn't amount to much, a 20 minute featurette about the special effects and a few more short 'making of' features. An extended ending and music video are also included.

If eight year old me watched this film, he would have been blown away. I find it an incredibly fun film, well paced and exciting.

Give it a shot, and ignore the fact Michael Bay's name is attached to it!

NOTE: If you purchase this film in Asda it currently comes with four turtle masks, a fun little addition.

Ultimate Freddy Krueger A Nightmare On Elm Street 30th Anniversary NECA Figure
Ultimate Freddy Krueger A Nightmare On Elm Street 30th Anniversary NECA Figure
Offered by Parallel Worlds Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate, Definitive, Superb, 12 Feb. 2015
This IS the Ultimate Freddy Krueger figure.

PACKAGING: For me, a mint in box collector, the packaging is the best I have ever seen with an action figure. It comes in a glossy cardboard box (the same dimensions as NECAS '8-Bit figures) the front is a poster of Nightmare On Elm Street and it looks GREAT. It has an opening flap so you can look at the figure inside. It also has a velcro seal on it which is a nice touch. The figure can be removed from packaging and returned with zero damage. Always a plus.

FIGURE: the best Freddy ever. The body and arms are a re-use from NECA's previous NOES1 Freddy, but he now, finally, has poseable legs. This adds alot to the figure. The paintwork is stunning. From his jumper to his face and teeth he looks flawless. All the headsculpts look incredible.

ACCESSORIES: He comes packed with accessories! First up, theres three interchangeable heads. A sombre looking Fred (This is a new head sculpt) a smiling head sculpt from the previous release, and one with the skin removed. Also from the previous version. He has his famous hat, a mask/face (belongs to Tina I believe) that sits on his face. He has an interchangeable left hand with green blood spurting from the figures. Finally, he comes with the 'tongue' phone. The paint work on this piece is exceptional.

OVERALL: Even if you own previous Freddy figures, and theres been alot of them, this IS the definitive version. The first 6" scame Freddy from any company to have leg articulation I believe. I own at least 8 Freddy Krueger figures from NECA, and I have no regrets about picking up this one.
If I had to pick one fault with it - It should have included the extended arms from the previous NOES1 figure. Thats just being picky though, and its an amazing
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2015 11:02 AM GMT

WWE: Ladies And Gentlemen, My Name Is Paul Heyman [Blu-ray]
WWE: Ladies And Gentlemen, My Name Is Paul Heyman [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Paul Heyman

5.0 out of 5 stars When Heyman Talks, You Listen, 7 Feb. 2015
An exceptional Blu Ray release from WWE showing there is plenty of life left in the physical format yet.

Disc one contains the documentary which runs approximately 2 hours, and is followed by approx 2 hours 15 minutes of promos from Pauls time at AWA and WCW. The documentary is essential viewing and comes across as very honest. There are plenty of people interviewed and I could listen to Heyman talk all day. I feared this documentary would be a repeat of the (brilliant) Rise And Fall Of ECW, but alot of new ground is covered regarding Heyman before and after ECW.
The promos are entertaining, but they are out of context and I can't see myself watching many of these again.

Disc two contains is where the fun begins. Pauls ECW promos and WWE promos. I enjoyed these thoroughly and watched the disc straight through.
There are also three matches included on this disc.

The Blu Ray exclusive features are worth the extra few coins - 75 minutes of additional stories and interviews. I absolutely loved these and some of the most memorable interview segments are in here. Finally, you get one additional promo - Brock and Heyman after breaking Takers streak (the one where the lady in the crowd gets hit in the face by a monitor!)

The only issue that may affect this set is the lack of subtitles.

Overall this set is brilliant.

Official WWE Mattel Elite Series 33 X-Pac Action Figure
Official WWE Mattel Elite Series 33 X-Pac Action Figure
Offered by a1 Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars DX Is Complete(ish)!, 6 Feb. 2015
My Mattel DX line up is as complete as is gonna get (we are NEVER getting Chyna!)
As a fan of the attitude era I was very excited to get an X-Pac figure to go with Billy Gunn, Road Dogg and Triple H.
Whilst this X-Pac figure is undoubtedly brilliant, I have a couple of minor niggles.
The head-scan bugs me a bit. I like my figures to have a more neutral look on their face, X-Pac here is stuck with his mouth wide open and tongue sticking out. The likeness is pretty dead on, but this look reminds me of a Jakks figure. His headband is sculpted permanently on his head. Its nicely painted but seems to sit a *little* bit too high. His removable DX T-Shirt is one of those gosh darn rubber ones. This one is sleeveless though, and fits over his head but its near impossible to sit perfectly as his hard sculpted hair is tricky to get past.

The articulation, paint work and sculpt is all exceptional though, and the inclusion of a shiny European Championship belt is appreciated.
A pair of sunglasses would have been a welcome addition

An excellent figure overall and like all of Mattel's WWE output, its perfect for play and display. I'm being a wee bit picky in my review but its the best X-Pac figure ever made and its (sadly) very satisfying having the completed DX line-up on my shelf!

WWE Elite Series 33 Junkyard Dog Wrestling Action Figure
WWE Elite Series 33 Junkyard Dog Wrestling Action Figure
Offered by a1 Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars THUMP, 5 Feb. 2015
Mattels first JYD figure is perfect.

The head-sculpt is so spot on. The sculpt, whilst used multiple times before, is perfect for this figure. The choice of attire, along with the detailing in the attire, is iconic. The red and blue stars are painted nicely, along with the word 'THUMP' on his tush.
His articulation (like all WWE Elite figures) is plentiful. Junk Yard Dog comes with one accessory and its handled perfectly - its his collar and chain. The collar fits around his neck very well and is nicely painted. The chain itself is real metal and looks great along with being in an excellent scale with the figure.

As with all Mattel's WWE figures, they are perfect for display in adult collections and sturdy enough for kids to play with.

HAPPY DAYS - Series 4 [IMPORT]
HAPPY DAYS - Series 4 [IMPORT]
Dvd ~ Ron Howard
Offered by IMSSALES

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Days Are Here Again, 29 Jan. 2015
I have waited long enough for Season 4 to reach us, but it looks like it wont be happening anytime soon so bought this region 2 import.
It comes in an amaray case that houses 3 discs. Each disc has 8 episodes.
The episode names on the inner sleeve are in English but the descriptions are not.
'Happy Days' and 'The Fourth Season' are written in English on the front cover and spine, but the print on the back is not.

The most important thing here though, is that the episodes play on UK DVD players, they are in English and have English subtitles if required.
Picture and sound quality here is actually BETTER than the first three seasons even though more episodes are crammed on to each disc.

The cover art is atrocious though, and one of the laziest I have ever seen.

The show itself is as like-able and comforting as ever and Season 4 introduces Al as the owner of Arnolds. The season opens with a terrible three parter (Fonzie Loves Pinkie) but when you get past that, its Happy Days as you remember it.

Neca Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 7-Inch Scale Koba Action Figure
Neca Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 7-Inch Scale Koba Action Figure
Offered by Topsammlershop

5.0 out of 5 stars HUMAN WORK!, 29 Jan. 2015
In my opinion, this is superior to NECA's Koba in the first wave of 'Dawn' figures.
It represents the character better this time round. His snarling head-scan is beautifully ugly and captures Koba's personality perfectly. The paint-work is excellent, from his eyes to his teeth.
From the neck down, the sculpt is the exact same as last time, except this time the paint job ins slightly different but superior in my opinion.
His accessories consist of a machine gun and interchangeable hands to hold the gun.
Articulation is identical also.
If you are not a completest, I would recommend getting the series 1 Caesar, but the series 2 Koba for the best plastic incarnations of these characters.
A Monkey holding a machine gun just makes a cool figure in my opinion!
Comes in clam-shell packaging.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2015 2:49 AM GMT