Profile for D. Mccaffrey > Reviews

Content by D. Mccaffrey

D. Mccaffrey "DeckyStrikesBack" (Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
SUMMER RAE TOTAL DIVAS BASIC SERIES 50 #35 NXT FIGURE WWE WRESTLING MATTEL WWF
SUMMER RAE TOTAL DIVAS BASIC SERIES 50 #35 NXT FIGURE WWE WRESTLING MATTEL WWF
Offered by Sophie110792

4.0 out of 5 stars Summer Has Come At Last, 25 April 2015
Its always nice to get a new Diva figure from Mattels WWE line, and also nice when its a 'First Time In The Line' figure
My knowledge of Summer Rae is minimal, to me she is Fandango's dance partner and thats about it.
This figure of her features a decent likeness, elite articulation (like all Divas in the basic line) and plenty of new sculpting which is always appreciated. Her chest, groin area and legs all feature new tooling.
Paint is minimal - there's a lot of red going on here - but her face is nicely detailed. There is also some nice silver painted studs on the straps on her top and top of her boots.

I did have a pretty big issue with this figure though. I don't hold it against the figure as it could be just mine and I've rarely had problems with Mattels WWE figures in the past.
But from the waist down poor old Summer barely moves! Her knee joints are frozen solid and they feel so tight they may snap if I apply pressure on them. Also I cant get her legs to move forward, backwards or out. Her legs are pretty much static - not great when you're a dancer!

Overall though, a nice figure and always good to add additional Divas to the display.

Dumb and Dumber To [Blu-ray] [2014]
Dumb and Dumber To [Blu-ray] [2014]
Dvd ~ Jim Carrey

2.0 out of 5 stars A Little Too Dumb This Time Round - Blu Ray Review, 25 April 2015
I am a massive fan of the original Dumb And Dumber. Its an incredibly stupid, yet wickedly smart comedy and in my eyes it is a classic.
I eagerly awaited Dumb and Dumber To with a stupidly high level of expectation and excitement. It could only disappoint me. Disappoint me it did.
The script feels like a 20 year old first draft - there is a serious shortage of laughs.
I laughed a handful of times in the 104 minute running time. Visually the film looks cheap, the soundtrack is poor and oddly downbeat, the jokes are more cringe-worthy and nasty than actually funny.
Dumb And Dumber had brains and actually a bit of heart as well. Lloyd and Harry were loveable innocent idiots. Here they are downright nasty!
(Our dumb friends would never have shouted "Show us your t*ts" to a woman in the first film or push people into hedges)

I have seen the first film at least 40 times (seriously) and if you asked me to watch it again tonight, sign me up. I'm there.
I've watch Dumb To twice now and struggled through it both times. It will be a long time before I watch it again.

Picture and sound on the Blu Ray are perfect.

The DVD has zero bonus features whilst the Blu Ray has over an hour of additional material:

Alternative opening - an extended opening really. I liked it, it made me laugh.
10 minutes of deleted/extended scenes - I noticed no new scenes here, they were all unnecessarily extended scenes.
A 7 minute gag-reel - The best out-takes I've seen in years. Genuinely funny.
6 minute feature about how good it is to be dumb
45 minute making of documentary.
Ultraviolet digital copy of the film.

Paddington [Blu-ray] [2015]
Paddington [Blu-ray] [2015]
Dvd ~ Nicole Kidman

5.0 out of 5 stars Paddington Blu Ray Review, 10 April 2015
I am a 28 year old man with no children and as an adult I wanted to chip in with my thoughts on Paddington.
I absolutely loved it. I laughed and I cried. It is a warm witty and wonderful film all around. alot of family/kids films based on classic properties have turned out to be pretty unbearable and treating their target audience like idiots (Chipmunks, Yogi Bear, Scooby Doo etc) but Paddington felt like a film anybody of any age can enjoy.
The cast were excellent and the effects work on Paddington (and his aunt and uncle) was perfection.

The Blu Ray is stunning. The picture quality is possibly the best I have ever seen from the format and makes for real showcase material. The sound was perfect also, but the bonus material very lacking.

I would highly recommend this film, children will adore it and I found it quite refreshing.

WWE Elite Collection Series Defining Moments Ric Flair Figure
WWE Elite Collection Series Defining Moments Ric Flair Figure
Offered by MedClub

5.0 out of 5 stars WWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!, 31 Mar. 2015
Flair is an elite style figure and comes in (newly relaunched) Defining Moments packaging.
Although this figure isn't based on any particular moment, I love the attire and accessory choices.
The robe is made beautifully, with butterfly designs front and back and the white feathery parts on the sleeves and collar look great and feel very well made.
He comes with a shiny WHC belt, again, wonderfully detailed with the red rubies painted on.
The figure itself is excellent. The attire is blue, with 'RF' on the trunks and boots. There are darker blue parts on the back of his kneepads, the trunks are baby blue and the boots dark blue.
The real star of this figure is the head. It is an absolute dead ringer for Slick Ric.
Whilst some have complained it seems to be an older portrait of Flair, I think it is so accurate that I can't complain.
Whilst this figure is hard to find and WAY over-priced, I had to have it.
When I opened mine, his right leg was off from the knee down. Panic and tears ensued, but after a medical procedure involving a hairdryer, Ric is styling and profiling. One of the most essential Mattel WWE figures in recent memory.

WWE Defining Moments Razor Ramon
WWE Defining Moments Razor Ramon

5.0 out of 5 stars HEY YO!, 31 Mar. 2015
I am LOVING Mattel's Defining Moments line. It has been a way of releasing some much requested classic characters and they haven't disappointed since their return. Following Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan comes THE BAD GUY.
Razor Ramon is an exceptional figure (and a first in the line)

THE PACKAGING: Beautiful. Similar is shape and design to the previous releases, but personalised for Razor with his chains in the background, photos on the sides and a bio on the back. If you are removing him from packaging there are a couple of elastic ties on his arms and legs you will need to remove first. Mattels WWE Line is better than ever - long may it continue.

THE FIGURE: This is the best Scott Hall/Razor Ramon figure ever made. Compare this to Jakks version - its no comparison. The figures tall, with plenty of the elite articulation. The paint could not be better, from the chest hair, to the hair curl in front of his head, to the decals on his vest, trunks and knee-pads. Not one bit of slop anywhere - the quality control is excellent. One issue I have is, although this figure is clearly Razor Ramon, the likeness in the head scan isn't quite there. I have looked at it from many angles, its clearly meant to be razor, but the likeness Isnt up there with say, Road Dogg or Junkyard Dog.

THE ACCESSORIES: Alot of people state Defining Moments are Elite Figures with a slightly bumped up price. Whilst I see their point, I do feel you always get that bit extra with Defining Moments. Razor has a wonderfully painted and sculpted removable vest. He also has removable gold chains around his neck which I will be keeping on him, but they look like they could be difficult to remove and put back on. finally, he comes with the classic Intercontinental Championship. This is the shiny version, but it is lacking paint seen in previous releases. Still very nice though, and an iconic part of Razor. He also has two purple knee pads, a purple elbow pad and a black elbow pad (If you include these as accessories)

OVERALL: I love this figure. If you want the best Scott Hall figure ever made, then this is it. An essential purchase in my mind, I absolutely love it.

Happy Days: The Sixth Season [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Happy Days: The Sixth Season [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by supermart_usa

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep These Releases Comin'!, 14 Mar. 2015
The weakest season of Happy Days so far, Season 6 still brings the laughs and the warmth even if the stories have become a bit wacky!
Disc 1 and 2 are quite hit and miss, some very far fetched and quite poor episodes but disc 3 and 4 are solid.

Season 6 is very similar to the season 5 release. A standard Amaray case housing 4 discs. The inner sleeve has an episode listing (along with original air-dates) The episodes themselves look and sound decent on DVD, and the discs have English subtitles.
Like Season 5, there are music edits with alot of the scenes featuring generic music in the back-ground instead of actual known songs.
The only bonus feature is The Fifth Anniversary Episode - Mork Returns.

I am loving these Happy Days releases, they bring back good memories. I hope they continue to release the rest on DVD but be warned - this is a region 1 release. YOU WILL NEED A MULTI-REGION PLAYER TO WATCH IT.
Mine arrived from America in 8 days, which I was very impressed with.

UK WWE BO DALLAS NXT BOLIEVE SERIES 49 #29 BASIC MATTEL WRESTLING ACTION FIGURE
UK WWE BO DALLAS NXT BOLIEVE SERIES 49 #29 BASIC MATTEL WRESTLING ACTION FIGURE
Offered by Sophie110792

4.0 out of 5 stars BO-LIEVE, 14 Mar. 2015
Bo Dallas is a very underwhelming figure due to his dull attire but it is very accurate.
HE has white trunks, knee-pads, boots and wrist tape with 'BO-LIEVE' written across the back of the trunks in red.
The head is pretty well sculpted and the hair is excellently sculpted, but I think the head could have looked more like him.
Overall its a new character, an OK figure which is sturdy and well made, but theres not much to get excited about here.

WWE Elite Series 34 Action Figure - Doink the Clown
WWE Elite Series 34 Action Figure - Doink the Clown
Offered by Wrestling Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars First Time In The Line - And Doink Is Spot On, 14 Mar. 2015
Perfect. This figure is perfect.
For some reason, Doink was on my wishlist of WWE figures Mattel would make, and he goes above and beyond what I expected.
The attire is circa 1993 - the paintwork is colourful, and the details such as the stars on the trousers, pockets on the top and even the white soles of his boots are absolutely perfect. No slop or missing paint here.
His headsculpt, and the paint on it, is perfect.
Doinks accessories add excellent value - he has three different wigs to give three different looks. These pop on and off the head easily with a peghole on the back of the head. Mattel didn't have to add these, but I think its a nice touch that they did. He also comes with a pale that fits nicely into his left hand.
Articulation is plentiful, the same as all elite figures and the build quality is excellent. No over tight or over loose joints. The ankles stick but of course, they always do!

I am all for classic characters, they appeal to me so much more than the current WWE Superstars. Any adult collector will want Doink in their collection, and he is colourful and unique enough to appeal to kids as well.

They Live [Blu-ray]
They Live [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Roddy Piper

5.0 out of 5 stars THEY LIVE 2015 Blu Ray Release - Review, 14 Mar. 2015
This review is from: They Live [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
As I'm not a fan of steelbooks, I waited for They Live to be released in a standard Blu Ray case. I'm glad I did, as it finally arrived (relatively unannounced) and the cover art really blew me away - the nicest I have seen on any Blu Ray release. Beautiful hand drawn artwork as used on the American release, but a few updates and an improved colour scheme - it really is strikingly beautiful.
I believe the disc itself is the same as the one in the Zavvi exclusive steelbook.
I think the transfer is quite stunning - its so colourful and sharp. After a while, you kind of get used to how good Blu Ray looks, but this one really impressed me in several places. Particularly as Nada enters the bank and supermarket, and the scene wheres he is thrown out of a window. These shots in particular impressed me.
The sound is also excellent, although I have a love hate relationship with John Carpenters score for this film.
The film is a cult classic. I absolutely love it and always have. I'm a huge fan or Roddy Pipers performance as Nada.

The bonus material is very very good, but left me wanting more:
Interview with John Carpenter - this is a new interview and is very informative but only runs 11 minutes.
Interview with Meg Foster - 5 minutes long, a new interview and she comes across as a lovely lady.
Interview with Keith David - 11 minutes. New interview, and an honest humble actor.
The Sights And Sounds Of They Live - 11 minutes long and I learned some new info on the film I never knew before.
A Vintage 8 minute 'making of'
Some TV spots for the film
Trailers that are seen in the background of They Live shown in full
Audio Commentary from Roddy Piper and John Carpenter - I believe this to be from the DVD release, but I have yet to listen to it.

OVERALL: The definitive edition for a minor classic. Bonus material sadly lacks input from Roddy Piper, but the new features and transfer make this a worthwhile purchase.

WWE: Fast Lane 2015 [DVD]
WWE: Fast Lane 2015 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Bryan

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Turn On The Road To Wrestlemania, 7 Mar. 2015
This review is from: WWE: Fast Lane 2015 [DVD] (DVD)
This felt like an episode of RAW. We are on the road to Wrestlemania, Elimination Chamber has been replaced with this filler PPV and I struggled to make it to the end. The crowd was non-existent. You could literally hear guys in the crowd taking among themselves.
Stings appearance felt borderline respectable to the legend. Goldust V Stardust was the most disappointing and worse PPV match in recent history with a mess of an ending. The six man tag match was meh. Cena V Rusev was solid enough with a wise outcome and Daniel Bryan V Roman Reigns was excellent as the nights main event. Bray Wyatts 'trolling' angered me at first but it lead to an exceptional bit of mic work from him.

The Pre-show was watchable (Miz TV with Paul Heyman) if only for the crowds reaction to Mizdow.

We are in the middle of Wrestlemania season - Traditionally WWE's greatest time of the year, but honestly there was no need whatsoever for this PPV. WWE could have skipped straight to Mania after Royal Rumble and have no February PPV at all. It was that poor.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20