Profile for D. Mccaffrey > Reviews

Content by D. Mccaffrey

D. Mccaffrey "DeckyStrikesBack" (Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
HAPPY DAYS - Series 4 [IMPORT]
HAPPY DAYS - Series 4 [IMPORT]
Dvd ~ Ron Howard
Offered by brrsales

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Days Are Here Again, 29 Jan. 2015
I have waited long enough for Season 4 to reach us, but it looks like it wont be happening anytime soon so bought this region 2 import.
It comes in an amaray case that houses 3 discs. Each disc has 8 episodes.
The episode names on the inner sleeve are in English but the descriptions are not.
'Happy Days' and 'The Fourth Season' are written in English on the front cover and spine, but the print on the back is not.

The most important thing here though, is that the episodes play on UK DVD players, they are in English and have English subtitles if required.
Picture and sound quality here is actually BETTER than the first three seasons even though more episodes are crammed on to each disc.

The cover art is atrocious though, and one of the laziest I have ever seen.

The show itself is as like-able and comforting as ever and Season 4 introduces Al as the owner of Arnolds. The season opens with a terrible three parter (Fonzie Loves Pinkie) but when you get past that, its Happy Days as you remember it.

Neca 29035 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 7-Inch Scale Koba Action Figure
Neca 29035 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 7-Inch Scale Koba Action Figure
Offered by ToyWorldWeb

5.0 out of 5 stars HUMAN WORK!, 29 Jan. 2015
In my opinion, this is superior to NECA's Koba in the first wave of 'Dawn' figures.
It represents the character better this time round. His snarling head-scan is beautifully ugly and captures Koba's personality perfectly. The paint-work is excellent, from his eyes to his teeth.
From the neck down, the sculpt is the exact same as last time, except this time the paint job ins slightly different but superior in my opinion.
His accessories consist of a machine gun and interchangeable hands to hold the gun.
Articulation is identical also.
If you are not a completest, I would recommend getting the series 1 Caesar, but the series 2 Koba for the best plastic incarnations of these characters.
A Monkey holding a machine gun just makes a cool figure in my opinion!
Comes in clam-shell packaging.

WWE Defining Moments Hulk Hogan
WWE Defining Moments Hulk Hogan
Offered by Midco Toys Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Buy, BROTHER!, 28 Jan. 2015
Let me tell you something Mean Gene, this is my most wanted WWE figure since Mattel got the license, brother.
I've heard alot of people complain about this figure Jack, but once I received it in hand this morning all these worries disappeared, brother.
OK, I'll stop that now.
Hulk Hogans is Mattel's second Defining Moments figure since the relaunch of the series. (The first being Ric Flair)
This figure comes in similar packaging, but is personalized to represent The Hulkster. It looks so good that I shed a tear ripping it open.

The issues I have heard about this figure are:

1)The headscan is off. I don't think it is. I can see Hogan here, it clearly is the man himself. Judge it for yourself when you have it in hand.

2) The skin-tone is off. Yes it is. Hogan has a nice orange hue to his skin, but think about it for a second - this would have looked odd in figure form.

3)The rubber/plastic T-shirt. We ALL hate these, but they're here to stay. The problem with this one in particular is that its ripped straight down the centre with no way of closing it. Thats a shame, and I really feel this figure would have benefited from a material shirt.

4)The world heavyweight championship belt is too big. IT sadly is. it looks perfect when strapped around the figure with the T-shirt on, but otherwise its huge. It would be a good fit for Andre The Giant!

Honestly though, this is SUCH a nice figure and I was so excited to finally own it that I see through all its issues and just love it.

The articulation is plentiful - like all WWE Elite figures. The joints are good, no stiffness or no parts overly loose. Of course, the ankles are stuck but any Mattel collectors will be familiar with this.

The paint is minimal but clean. The red and yellow really pop on the figure.

Accessories are excellent. Removable T-shirt, WWE World Heavyweight Championship belt, removable bandana and removable necklace.

Based on his Wrestlemania III appearance, this Hogan figure was well worth the wait and I consider it an essential purchase.
Please feel free to check out the photos I uploaded.

Aliens - Xenomorph Queen Ultra Deluxe Action Figure
Aliens - Xenomorph Queen Ultra Deluxe Action Figure
Offered by Safari Island

5.0 out of 5 stars This Figure Is The King Of Queens, 12 Jan. 2015
I have watched many video reviews of this figure and seen lots of photos, but NOTHING prepared me for how stunning this figure was until I received my own. If I buy a better figure this year I will be shocked.

The much demanded Alien Queen from NECA is a work of art.
First of all, its HUGE, from her mouth to the tip of her tail she is around 28" long and comes packaged already built apart from six spinal pieces that clip into her back.
The sculpting is just stunning. The detail is so intricate, from her hands to her back, from her tail to her feet this is a seriously beautiful piece.
The paint is also perfect. She has a slimy look and the areas of blue shading and bronze details are just spot on.
Her articulation is superb - you will need to have a good look round this figure to find it all!
Her 'face' is poseable and moves in and out of her crown just like the film. She also has teeth sculpted in clear plastic (they were clear in the film) and the jaw is hinged. She has two removable inner mouths also - retracted and extended.
This huge beast is a bit top heavy, so she comes with two different display stands of different heights. Both bases have a clear plastic bottom with two metal rods sticking out. They don't connect into the figure anywhere but should sit fine placed in or around her ribs.
She comes housed in a huge cardboard box with a large plastic window.

I have been collecting figures for a very long time and I was overwhelmed with how near perfect this figure is. I love it in every way and whilst it was very expensive, when it arrived I didn't regret it for a second. Shop around and you should be able to find it around for around £80 - but I wouldn't wait around too long. If you are a McFarlane fanboy and still hanging onto their (admittedly excellent for the time) Queen, this figure improves upon it in every way possible.

NECA, hats off to you.

*UPDATE* regarding the display stand, there appears to be two very slight circular dents in her body under neath her smaller arms. The two clips at the top of the stand pop nicely into them!

Neca Aliens Kane 7 Inch Action Figure Series 3
Neca Aliens Kane 7 Inch Action Figure Series 3

5.0 out of 5 stars BAH GAWD ITS GOTTA BE KANE, 9 Jan. 2015
This figure is a work of art.
The sculpt of the space suit, the paint work on every inch of him and that wonderfully sculpted helmet.
This figure is just amazing in every way.
Why is his face covered though? Simple. John Hurt did not allow his likeness to be used, so NECA went for the facehugger look.
I think its a clever way round the likeness issue, but it is also frustrating. I would have loved a regular Kane figure, and the chosen look limits how you pose the figure, but its better than no Kane!

Accessories include a gun (which fits in the holster) a torch and removable helmet.

He is also well stacked in the articulation department! neck (ball-joint), shoulders (hinged-swivel), biceps (cut-swivel), elbows (hinged-swivel), wrist, diaphragm & waist (ball-joints), hips (hinged-swivel), thighs (swivel), knees (hinged-swivel) & ankles (ball-joint)

Have a good look at this figure, take it all in....ALOT of effort went into this one.
Comes in clamshell packaging.

TIP! try putting the helmet on sideways for an easier fit.

Neca Aliens Bishop 7 Inch action figure Series 3
Neca Aliens Bishop 7 Inch action figure Series 3

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad For A Human, 9 Jan. 2015
Many people seem to class this as a boring figure. OK, its no marine or alien, but I am delighted to have a Bishop figure.
The figure is mostly excellent, nearly perfect. The sculpt is flawless, I cant find any flaws in it. His jumpsuit, wrist watch and trainers are so well painted and detailed - NECA really are my favourite figure company.
The articulation is awkward. NECA seemed focused on hiding his articulation, which helps the sculpt, but limits display possibilities.
His accessories are also very good. He comes with a torch, a knife and an interchangeable hand to hold the knife.
Why not five stars? The sloppy paint on the head takes away from the PERFECT sculpt. It really is a shame.
Sloppy hairline, wonky eyeball and dodgy nostrils! IF you find one with spot-on paint though, this is a five star figure!
Comes in Clamshell packaging - Dog Alien and KAne also available in the series.

Alien 3 Dog Alien Figure
Alien 3 Dog Alien Figure
Offered by MAD4Collectables *FREE UK P&P On Orders Over £0.75*

5.0 out of 5 stars As Near To Perfect As You Will Get In This Scale, 8 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Alien 3 Dog Alien Figure (Toy)
Nobody liked Alien 3 but everybody likes a good Dog Alien!!
This figure is BEAUTIFUL . In their price range, NECA remain unbeatable.
Standing up straight this figure measures 11" tall! The paint and sculpting are absolute perfection. The head is perfect, the tail is perfect. I really could gush over this figure for hours. The beautiful bronzy/brown shading is spot on and the figure has that 'slimey' look to it.
Being a Dog Alien, you will what this figure in a running position. Contrary to reports, the head DOES go the whole way back so its looking straight away when on all fours. Also included is a clear stand. It doesn't plug into the figure anywhere, but does clip around the 'ribs' section. Another great touch, and overall an exceptional figure in every way.
Comes in clamshell packaging.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2015 7:41 PM GMT

Neca - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 7-Inch. - Caesar
Neca - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 7-Inch. - Caesar

2.0 out of 5 stars Rambo Caesar!, 8 Jan. 2015
This is NECA's weakest 'Apes' figure in my opinion.
From the neck down, this is the exact same figure as Caesar from Series 1.
The 'angry' head is new but in my opinion does not represent the character. No matter what way I look at it, I just can't see Caesar.
The paint work also seems cheaper and lesser than the series 1 release. The fur colour seems off.
He comes with interchangable hands and a shotgun. Yes, Caesar holds a shotgun in the film, but this figure gives the impression he has gone a bit Rambo on us.
The articulation is the same as the previous version (plentiful) but overall, I found this figure very disappointing and thats not usually the impression I have when I receive a NECA product.

Neca 29034 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 7-Inch Luca Action Figure
Neca 29034 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 7-Inch Luca Action Figure

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beast Of A Figure!, 8 Jan. 2015
The strongest figure in NECA's second (and final) Dawn OF The Planet Of The Apes.
Luca is a huge, bulking, spot on figure based on the character from the film, but really this is a figure of a Gorilla.
You can use it as a King Kong to face off against your Godzilla figure if you wish.
There is plenty of articulation on this beast, and although the paint is minimal, little details suck as his eyes are razor sharp.
This figure also comes with alternative angry head with roaring mouth and again, plenty of nice details on this.
Comes in clamshell packaging. A great figure and excellent value!

The Simpsons: Complete Season 17 [DVD]
The Simpsons: Complete Season 17 [DVD]

4.0 out of 5 stars Weaker Episodes This Season But Another Great Release, 2 Jan. 2015
This could be the weakest season of The Simpsons released on DVD so far. 15 and 16 were much better than I remembered but there is a lull here. Laughs are fewer, story lines forgettable.
The box-set itself though is another excellent release. No TV series has been consistently treated this well on my beloved old physical format. The packaging is beautiful, the booklet excellent and the features plentiful.
Each episode contains a commentary track but I must admit, I stopped listening to these when the golden age of The Simpsons ended (Season 10)
I'll be honest, id much rather they remove the commentaries completely and release the seasons quicker as we only get one a year!
There are also deleted scenes, featurettes and hidden easter eggs.
Finally, there is a Season 25 episode included as a bonus - The Man Who Grew To Much which is a Sideshow Bob episode.
Worth having for the incredibly sweet epilogue in memory of Marcia Wallace,

Overall - I'm a fan of The Simpsons, I love these box-sets but I do wish we got more than one a year so we catch up a bit!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20