Profile for D. Mccaffrey > Reviews

Content by D. Mccaffrey

D. Mccaffrey "DeckyStrikesBack" (Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
WWE Elite Series 34 Action Figure - Paige
WWE Elite Series 34 Action Figure - Paige
Offered by Toy Haven UK

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Nicest Diva Figures Yet, 18 May 2015
Disregarding the shocking online prices (parents, you have my sympathies) this is a beautiful figure, one of the nicest Divas Mattel have ever made.
This is the first ever Paige figure and she sports accurate attire and the best Diva likeness I have seen from Mattel.
There is alot of new tooling as well, not just repainted parts. her torso is unique to this figure as are her lower legs and boots.
Paint is excellent and little details like the green soles of her shoes, her lip piercing and eye lashes are very neatly done.
Articulation is plentiful, I counted 19 moving parts in total, but as with all Diva figures be careful - they feel less sturdy than their male counterparts.

Accessories are excellent. She comes with two (shiny) belts - the first ever NXT women's championship, and a brand new smaller WWE Divas Championship. Its a good bit smaller than previous versions, and is a better fit. Detail on both belts are exceptional.

This figure is excellent overall, but online prices and possible fragility were my only issues.

Gladiator - 15th Anniversary Edition [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [2000] [Region Free]
Gladiator - 15th Anniversary Edition [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [2000] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Richard Harris
Offered by Helen's Goodies

1.0 out of 5 stars 15th Anniversary Blu Ray Information, 5 May 2015
For 16 quid this poorly promoted '15th Anniversary Special Edition' of the classic Gladiator is a rip-off of the highest order.
Trawling through the internet for hours on end I could find NOTHING about it then finally, after a week of waiting, I got a reply email from Universal UK.

This is a re-release of the previous 2-disc edition of Gladiator on Blu Ray. You can pick that up new and sealed for around £5.
That 11 extra quid gets you a digital copy and a truly terrible new cover.

The choice is yours, but I am not entertained.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2015 9:29 PM BST

Tremors - 25th Anniversary Edition [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [1990] [Region Free]
Tremors - 25th Anniversary Edition [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [1990] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Rod Underwood

1.0 out of 5 stars POOR Advertising. (25th Anniversary Special Edition Blu Ray), 5 May 2015
Tremors is a cult classic. A film I have always enjoyed and hold in quite high regard.

Released yesterday (4th May 2015) was Tremors 25th Anniversary Special Edition.

If this is a new version of Tremors, with additional features, new transfer etc I would be interested in buying it. But I have not been able to find out anything about this release except for a picture of the front cover.

I have searched forums for hours, Blu Ray review sites, contacted Universal by email and multiple tweets (All ignored) and can find out NOTHING about this release.

It costs £16 on Amazon. There are people on Ebay selling it for up to £24. If i buy it, and its a re-release of the previous disc with a new cover and UV copy I would be very annoyed.

Do Universal not want people to buy this? Feeling quite frustrated about this Blu Ray.

***EDIT 19/5/15*** Apart from a new cover and an Ultraviolet Code this release is a re-pack of the previous version as per an email I finally received from Universal studios. Still a shoddy product in my mind - Does a UV code really justify a '25th anniversary special edition' label?
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 19, 2015 7:47 PM BST

WWE Basic Action Series 50: Adam Rose #32
WWE Basic Action Series 50: Adam Rose #32
Offered by a1 Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Be A Lemon, Be A Rosebud!, 2 May 2015
Adam Rose is a current roster wrestler that I know very little about, but seeing as its his first ever figure, I had to have it.
His attire is painted perfectly, with roses wrapped around his trousers that are painted very cleanly. His head-sculpt is very good and captures Adams personality nicely. The best part of this figure for me is the wonderfully sculpted hair which features plenty of detail.

Build quality is excellent, Adam Rose feels very sturdy and all articulated areas move with ease.

There is an Elite Adam Rose due in Elite 38. That series is a good while away yet, but I feel he is a character that could use the extra articulation and accessories, maybe a necklace and jacket or his trademark lollypop!

WWE Basic Action Series 50: Sami Zayn #36
WWE Basic Action Series 50: Sami Zayn #36
Offered by a1 Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars Olé!, 2 May 2015
OK, maybe I'm not the best person to review this figure as I don't watch nXt (please excuse my ignorance)
Sami Zayne is a 'first in the line' figure, and Mattel's first ever nXt figure.

As a figure, its solid. The points of articulation are tight yet move easily making this figure perfect for play and display.
Doing a bit of research, the attire is spot on also - from the different coloured elbow pads to the white paint on his boots.
The head-sculpt is also pretty much spot on with a nice detailed sculpt and excellent paintwork.

Sami is a solid and well made figure with nice paint work

WWE Elite Series 35 Action Figure: Earthquake
WWE Elite Series 35 Action Figure: Earthquake
Offered by CHBURNS

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Solid WWE Figure From Mattel, 1 May 2015
I love Mattel's WWE figures.
I REALLY love Mattel's WWE Elite figures.
I REALLY REALLY love Mattel's WWE Elite Flashback figures.

The flashback figure for Elite 35 is also a 'first in the line' figure - Earthquake based on his appearance circa 1991.
This figure is pretty much perfect. The likeness in the head-scan is absolutely perfect. The paint helps this, solid paint on the eyes and hair. Even his balding at the top of his head. A bad paint job can hide a good sculpt.

He is a suitably chunky figure, with all the elite articulation but as with alot of elite figures, The ankles appear to be frozen. His waist joint was also frozen when I opened him, but i think this was to do with the paint on his attire. With a little bit of effort I freed it up.

The paint on the attire is perfect, no slop or smudges. Mattel have excellent quality control over their WWE line. Even his chest hairs are painted!

His accessories appear very random at first - Jake's snake Damien and a material bag to carry him. The snake itself is very rubbery so as to fit him in the bag. The reason he comes with Damien, is because Earthquake 'squashed' him on an episode of Superstars in 1991.

Overal Earthquake is another EXCELLENT Flashback figure and for me he was a must have

Planet of the Apes Lawgiver Statue
Planet of the Apes Lawgiver Statue
Offered by Shop4World

5.0 out of 5 stars I AM THE LAW!, 1 May 2015
Amazons item description gives you pretty much everything you need to know about this piece

A 12" statue, cast in cold resin, fits in perfect scale with NECA's Planet Of The Apes line.

It is a beautiful piece, well sculpted and wonderfully painted making it look like it genuinely is made of stone.
Its very heavy for the size and is limited to a run of 1700 pieces. There is no certificate of authenticity, but they are individually numbered on the bottom of the statue. ( I have 1572/1700)

The packaging is pretty much perfect, nicely designed strong cardboard box and the statue comes safely cased in Styrofoam with the Planet Of The Apes logo engraved on the front.

A lovely piece, and considering there are only 1700 in the world, it is currently not too hard to get hold of. If you love the figures, this makes a beautiful centerpiece for the figures.

SUMMER RAE TOTAL DIVAS BASIC SERIES 50 #35 NXT FIGURE WWE WRESTLING MATTEL WWF
SUMMER RAE TOTAL DIVAS BASIC SERIES 50 #35 NXT FIGURE WWE WRESTLING MATTEL WWF
Offered by Sophie110792

4.0 out of 5 stars Summer Has Come At Last, 25 April 2015
Its always nice to get a new Diva figure from Mattels WWE line, and also nice when its a 'First Time In The Line' figure
My knowledge of Summer Rae is minimal, to me she is Fandango's dance partner and thats about it.
This figure of her features a decent likeness, elite articulation (like all Divas in the basic line) and plenty of new sculpting which is always appreciated. Her chest, groin area and legs all feature new tooling.
Paint is minimal - there's a lot of red going on here - but her face is nicely detailed. There is also some nice silver painted studs on the straps on her top and top of her boots.

I did have a pretty big issue with this figure though. I don't hold it against the figure as it could be just mine and I've rarely had problems with Mattels WWE figures in the past.
But from the waist down poor old Summer barely moves! Her knee joints are frozen solid and they feel so tight they may snap if I apply pressure on them. Also I cant get her legs to move forward, backwards or out. Her legs are pretty much static - not great when you're a dancer!

Overall though, a nice figure and always good to add additional Divas to the display.

Dumb and Dumber To [Blu-ray] [2014]
Dumb and Dumber To [Blu-ray] [2014]
Dvd ~ Jim Carrey

2.0 out of 5 stars A Little Too Dumb This Time Round - Blu Ray Review, 25 April 2015
I am a massive fan of the original Dumb And Dumber. Its an incredibly stupid, yet wickedly smart comedy and in my eyes it is a classic.
I eagerly awaited Dumb and Dumber To with a stupidly high level of expectation and excitement. It could only disappoint me. Disappoint me it did.
The script feels like a 20 year old first draft - there is a serious shortage of laughs.
I laughed a handful of times in the 104 minute running time. Visually the film looks cheap, the soundtrack is poor and oddly downbeat, the jokes are more cringe-worthy and nasty than actually funny.
Dumb And Dumber had brains and actually a bit of heart as well. Lloyd and Harry were loveable innocent idiots. Here they are downright nasty!
(Our dumb friends would never have shouted "Show us your t*ts" to a woman in the first film or push people into hedges)

I have seen the first film at least 40 times (seriously) and if you asked me to watch it again tonight, sign me up. I'm there.
I've watch Dumb To twice now and struggled through it both times. It will be a long time before I watch it again.

Picture and sound on the Blu Ray are perfect.

The DVD has zero bonus features whilst the Blu Ray has over an hour of additional material:

Alternative opening - an extended opening really. I liked it, it made me laugh.
10 minutes of deleted/extended scenes - I noticed no new scenes here, they were all unnecessarily extended scenes.
A 7 minute gag-reel - The best out-takes I've seen in years. Genuinely funny.
6 minute feature about how good it is to be dumb
45 minute making of documentary.
Ultraviolet digital copy of the film.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2015 10:45 AM BST

Paddington [Blu-ray] [2015]
Paddington [Blu-ray] [2015]
Dvd ~ Nicole Kidman

5.0 out of 5 stars Paddington Blu Ray Review, 10 April 2015
I am a 28 year old man with no children and as an adult I wanted to chip in with my thoughts on Paddington.
I absolutely loved it. I laughed and I cried. It is a warm witty and wonderful film all around. alot of family/kids films based on classic properties have turned out to be pretty unbearable and treating their target audience like idiots (Chipmunks, Yogi Bear, Scooby Doo etc) but Paddington felt like a film anybody of any age can enjoy.
The cast were excellent and the effects work on Paddington (and his aunt and uncle) was perfection.

The Blu Ray is stunning. The picture quality is possibly the best I have ever seen from the format and makes for real showcase material. The sound was perfect also, but the bonus material very lacking.

I would highly recommend this film, children will adore it and I found it quite refreshing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20