Profile for D. Mccaffrey > Reviews

Content by D. Mccaffrey

D. Mccaffrey "DeckyStrikesBack" (Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
RAMBO - FIRST BLOOD - 7" DELUXE ACTION FIGURE FIRST BLOOD
RAMBO - FIRST BLOOD - 7" DELUXE ACTION FIGURE FIRST BLOOD
Offered by Shop4World

5.0 out of 5 stars John's Iconic Look, 16 Oct 2014
This is NECA's third John Rambo figure, but certainly the most iconic. His First Blood Part II look.

THE SCULPT: Perfect. from the scars on his chest, to his necklace, to his hair and headband, I cannot find much to fault with this figure, and it features the best likeness to Stallone I have seen in an action figure yet

THE PAINT: I have heard reports and seen photos of 'derpy' eyes in this figure, which is a shame because poor paint can ruin a great sculpt. I did quite well, his right eye is ever so slighly off centre, but not enough to bother me. The rest of the figure, I thought the paint was superb. From the necklace to his skin-tone I was very happy with mine. Keep an eye on those eyes though....

ARTICULATION: Again, excellent. NECA have come a long way in the articulation department:
Head - ball joint
Shoulders - ball joint
Elbows - swivel/pivot
Wrists - ball peg
Abdomen - ball joint
Hips - ball joint
Knees - swivel/pivot
Ankles - ball pegs

ACCESSORIES: couldn't ask for more. His Knife (different than the First Blood knife) , RPG, Machine gun, and Grenade with 4 additional hands.

PACKAGING: Clamshell. I love clamshell being a mint on card collector, the artwork is also very nice, and matches in with the previous 2 Rambo figures.

OVERALL: Collecting is becoming tricky. Prices are getting higher, and we are continually gettting less and less for our money. NECA seen to continue to buck this trend, excellent value for the quality of the product.

Where's Me Jumper?
Where's Me Jumper?

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 16 Oct 2014
This review is from: Where's Me Jumper? (MP3 Download)
This song never fails to make me emotional.
In fact just writing this I have a tear in my eye,
'Where's Me Jumper' is the ballad of a young man, he doesn't have much in life but he does have a lovely jumper that he thinks the world of.(possibly a gansey jumper but this is never stated in the song adding to the mystery)
The man take his beloved jumper everywhere with him wearing it at almost any occasion but sadly, one day the jumper goes missing, and he expresses his loss through the beautiful lyrics and melodies of this song.... Ill say no more, just listen to it knowing that it was a #1 in 32 countries and was the most downloaded song of 2008.
David Hasselhoff has also stated that if this song were released in 1989, at the fall of the Berlin Wall he would have invited the Sultans Of Ping to take his place.
Enjoy, and Id recommend this for any romantic evening, its beautiful playing in the background.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - The Original Movie [Blu-ray]
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - The Original Movie [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Judith Hoag

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic From My Childhood - Hold Up Well In 2014, 16 Oct 2014
This Blu Ray release of the original Turtles live action film is the same disc that comes with the Turtles Trilogy Blu Ray.

THE FILM (5 out of 5)
The Blu Ray release is UNCUT. This film has dated much better than I expected. Gritty, well paced and alot of fun. It is surprisingly dark and violent compared to its sequels, and as an adult I still get alot of enjoyment out of it. In fact, I have watched it twice in the past week.
Elias Koteas is excellent as Casey Jones, the Turtles are spot on with each of them very distinct and Shredder looks amazing and gets the character just right. The script has plenty of weak spots in it, but overall this film has a nice balance of tone. Gritty enough for adults and funny enough for kids to get alot out of it. the musical score also, is excellent.

PICTURE/SOUND: (4 out of 5)
The picture good, but unimpressive - most people would be hard pressed to notice the difference between this and the DVD. It has a natural grain to it, and its pretty sharp, but it doesnt have a 'wow' factor to it and won't convert any Blu Ray doubters.
The sound is EXCELLENT and the wonderful score stands out. (Check out the fight in Aprils antique store, the sound really shines here on Blu ray)

BONUS MATERIAL: (2 out of 5)
Its nice to get bonus features for a film like this, but they are pretty poor. 2 x trailers and a stills gallery. You also get a 28 minute making of. Its a painful 28 minutes. 'Behind the Shells' spends 28 minutes saying one thing "parents, we are sorry Turtles was so violent, but please take your kids to Turtles 2. the weapons are gone, the violence toned down and it has a message about looking after the environment"
Honestly. Thats literally all they point out. Over and over. They proudly state the Turtles don't use their weapons in the sequel.

This is the best release of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles that I know of, but it should have been better.

Bad Neighbours [DVD]
Bad Neighbours [DVD]
Dvd ~ Seth Rogen

2.0 out of 5 stars It Just Doesn't Work, 28 Sep 2014
This review is from: Bad Neighbours [DVD] (DVD)
I expected alot of fun from Bad Neighbours. Maybe too much.
Its Seth Rogen's first leading role since the hilarious This Is The End, and the 'Family Vs Frat' idea is a simple but fun one.
The trailers made me laugh also.
What I got was a simple idea badly handled and it was more irritating than funny. Its also quite nasty in tone at times.
Zac Efron actually gives the strongest performance in the film, but not once did I care about any of the characters.
It just didn't bring the laughs, and Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne bugged me.
Their baby though, is one of the cutest kids I have ever seen in a movie and the highlight of the film was her appearance during the end credits.
A very weak film - relatively easy to watch - but lacking any real laughs.

The DVD has no bonus features whatsoever.

The Big Bang Theory - Season 7 [DVD] [2014]
The Big Bang Theory - Season 7 [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Johnny Galecki

4.0 out of 5 stars Still Funny - A Solid Season, 28 Sep 2014
After the weak season 4 and awful season 5, I was pleasantly surprised by season 6.
Season 7 continues that trend, with another solid run of 24 episodes that are very funny and easy to watch.

THE GOOD:

Some episodes are genius - jokes are thrown at you consistently and more often than not, hit the mark.

The characters have more heart and warmth than ever and their are some very touching moments that are well handled.

Raj and Amy continue to grow in my opinion, from my two least favourite characters to two of my favourites.

Easy to watch - roughly 19 minutes an episode, its a fun way to unwind in the evening

THE BAD:

Howard being married is showing cracks. The shows funniest character is still funny, but feels neutered.

Too many episodes are fine or good rather than excellent. 24 episodes a year is a bit much. Its more consistently good than consistently excellent, but there are very few 'bad' episodes

Bernadette.

Weak finale.

A FEW DVD NOTES:

DVD seems to have plenty of features on each of the 3 discs, but I have yet to dig into them.
DVD release has no UV copy this year.
DVD spine for season 5 and 7 are different than the other 1-4 and 6. This bugs me more than you realise.

OVERALL:

I really enjoyed it - and I'm glad Big Bang's season 4/5 slump is well behind us.

ANIMAL - ELITE SERIES 30 - NEW IN STOCK - LEGION OF DOOM
ANIMAL - ELITE SERIES 30 - NEW IN STOCK - LEGION OF DOOM
Offered by Midco Toys Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Elite Hawk and Animal (each sold separately - reviewed together), 28 Sep 2014
Elite Hawk and Animal are complete remoulds of the previously released versions from WWE Legends, but they are the most welcome additions to my WWE figures in ages, if not, ever.
These are my preferred versions, the red and black Legion Of Doom attire.
The paintwork on both figures are excellent, especially the facepaint.
The shoulder pads and gauntlets fit both figures excellently and are easily removed and put back on.
Both figures are completely different sculpts from each other, Animal being larger and broader, Hawk being muscly too, but slimmer.
Both figures have the Elite articulation and the joints are tight and move easily.
These figures are excellent for play or display and as an older collector, I loved adding these to my collection.

BE WARNED - online prices for these two are pretty sickening. try to find them instores (if you can) for approx £17 each.

HAWK - ELITE SERIES 30 - NEW IN BOX - IN STOCK
HAWK - ELITE SERIES 30 - NEW IN BOX - IN STOCK
Offered by Midco Toys Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Elite Hawk and Animal (reviewed together bot sold seperately), 28 Sep 2014
These are my preferred versions, the red and black Legion Of Doom attire.
The paintwork on both figures are excellent, especially the facepaint.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Limited Edition with Comic Booklet (Amazon.co.uk Exclusive) [Blu-ray] [2014]
Dvd ~ Andrew Garfield

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Blu Ray, OK Film, 28 Sep 2014
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is the unnecessary sequel to the unwanted reboot. I have very mixed feelings about this sequel. On one hand, its awful. There are awful scenes, a terrible score, painful dialogue and too many plot conveniences. On the other hand, its fun, bright, colourful and scenes involving Spidey himself are a joy to watch. Also, his outfit is PERFECT.
I'm still not convinced by this new series, and tonally this one is closer to Spider-Man 3 than Amazing Spider-Man 1 (although better than both of those)
The Blu Ray itself is a perfect example of why DVD fans should consider the upgrade.
The picture and sound are showcase material. Even in 2D there is a depth to the film. the colours are vibrant and the film has a very minor grain (due to it being shot on film) but is still very sharp.
The 100 minute documentary (not on the DVD) is excellent and quite informative, taking jabs at the first film when needed. Its worth the 13 quid alone.
The deleted scenes are quite interesting but also show, sadly, the film-makers don't have much of an idea where they are taking the story (Peters dad - scenes filmed, then removed. What are they at?)
Overall, I am very much on the fence with this film. And in the year of Winter Soldier, Days Of Future Past and Guardians Of The Galaxy, it looks even weaker.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2014 8:11 PM BST

Rene Rofe Women's Lace Top Fishnet Mini Dress, Black, One Size
Rene Rofe Women's Lace Top Fishnet Mini Dress, Black, One Size

5.0 out of 5 stars It Was A Hell Of A Weekend, 22 Sep 2014
I bought this for my fiance, I've been away working and haven't seen here for 2 weeks. This was waiting for me/her on Friday when I got home and put it this way, its Monday and I have a smile on my face.

The Expendables 3 [DVD]
The Expendables 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sylvester Stallone

1.0 out of 5 stars Ignores Its Fanbase, Deserved To Flop., 15 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Expendables 3 [DVD] (DVD)
The Expendables are aimed at grown men who love old action heroes and films from the 80s, and good gory practical 18 cert action.
This third Expendables aims towards teenagers and removes every element that made the first two so enjoyable.
The violence is gone. The blood is gone. The bad language is gone. 90% of the cast are reduced to cameos and replaced by four young nobodies. The film is also dripping with awful CGI from the opening scene to the final battle.
I LOVED the first two. More than I should have, but this film deserved its poor box office and awful reputation.
Its impossible to care about, and never has so much action been so boring. Mel Gibson is pretty good in it though. I'm a big Stallone fan and have to say, this could be his worse performance by a considerable margin. He didn't even phone it in, he text it in.
Now, I can get past the 12A rating and younger cast if it was a GOOD film. It is not a good film in any way WHATSOEVER.
An awful film is every aspect and its misleading that Jet Li's name appears so high in the cast list. His screen time is approx 3 minutes.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2014 4:30 PM BST