Profile for D. Mccaffrey > Reviews

Content by D. Mccaffrey

D. Mccaffrey "DeckyStrikesBack" (Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes [Blu-ray + UV Copy]
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes [Blu-ray + UV Copy]
Dvd ~ Gary Oldman
Price: 15.00

4.0 out of 5 stars I DESPERATELY Wanted To Give This Five Stars, 27 July 2014
But after a week of thinking about it, I just can't.

Dawn is the sequel to Rise (the first should have been Dawn, and this sequel Rise) and Rise was one of my favourite films this decade.
It was an out of nowhere surprise, that revived a franchise I love, and I have revisited it multiple times since.

This sequel had a lot to live up to and although it surpasses the first film in many ways, (effects work, overall scale, musical score)
Dawn has a few flaws I'm finding hard to forgive.

1) The human cast are absolutely awful, every single character is an underwritten cardboard cut-out, and I include Gary Oldman in that.
2) The sub plot about the dam. I don't give a dam about a dam. Its an awful MacGuffin and a weak excuse for ape and human to mingle.
3) Whilst the ending battle is truly fantastic, when this film end I felt the story hadn't progressed enough from when it started. a full blown Planet Of The Apes still seems several films away.
4) The films (for me) money shot, involving Kobas encounter with some gin and a gun, is in the trailer. For me, its the most shocking scene in the entire film, up there with Caesars first 'no' and the trailer blew it.

Overall though, it is a fantastic and smart film, with some of the best effects work ever and Koba is an absolutely FANTASTIC character this time round, stealing the show. It also has some very powerful moments.

I'm not mad at this film, I'm just slightly disappointed.
I'm annoyed at myself for not loving it that little bit more.

And I actually missed Franco.

Accessory Agents 2 in 1 CD/DVD Cleaning Kit
Accessory Agents 2 in 1 CD/DVD Cleaning Kit
Offered by AudioVisual Online
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Needed., 26 July 2014
An excellent little bit of kit did exactly what I wanted it to.

I bought a few DVDs (new but with a suspicious amount of scuffs and fingerprints)
I stuck them in them in this little machine, and they came out like brand new - I was very content with this as I'm a bit OCD with my DVDs!

I tried an older DVD that was had deeper scratches on it, and it cleaned the disc up nicely but didn't have any effect on the deeper scratches.

Also includes a disc with tin little brushes in it, to put in your DVD/CD player to clean the laser if playback is affected.

Was also delivered in 24 hours, so very pleased.

Futurama - Season 7 [DVD] [2014]
Futurama - Season 7 [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Billy West
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good News Everybody!, 26 July 2014
The best is back - Season 7 of Futurama (well, the first 13 episodes - sneaky!) are on Region 2 UK DVD at last.
This set contains 13 episodes over 2 discs and continues to be my favourite animated comedy. Its so imaginative, witty and gorgeous to look at.

This set comes in a plastic Amaray case with a nice cardboard sleeve and 4 art-cards which are nice little extras. It also states season 8 (really Season 7 part 2) is coming to DVD soon, so maybe Fox have finally got their futuristic finger out and are speeding up these releases for us UK fans.

Contains deleted scenes and commentaries along with some featurettes. Has subtitles in English, Finnish, German and French. Episodes are presented in widescreen.

A great purchase - recommended!

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs [Blu-ray] [Region B and C]
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs [Blu-ray] [Region B and C]
Dvd ~ Walt Disney Studios
Price: 14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 star Film, Weak Release. The Extras Are...., 26 Jun 2014
This new Blu Ray release of the timeless classic Snow White contains one disc only.
It is the first disc from Disney s three disc set (2 Blu ray 1 DVD) from 2009.
A pity its only 1 disc, yes, but a welcome release for alot of people I'm sure.

The bonus features:

Audio Commentary by film historian John Canemaker
9 minute featurette Snow White Returns
11 minutes of deleted scenes
Some Day My Prince Will Come music video
8 minute sneak preview of The Princess and The Frog
'Disney View' which paints the black borders above and below the image (leave it off!)
three games played with your remote control.

Technical features:

1080p HD, presented in 1:33:1 widescreen
DTS 7.1 HD surround sound in english
Dolby digital 5.1 surround sound in Hindi and Spanish
DTS 5.1 in Italian, Spanish and Dutch
Eniglish, Italian, Spanish and Dutch subtitles.

I personally feel that when it comes to the UK market, Disney treat us poorly with regard to price and content, but there ya go.

CLASSIC film, POOR UK release.

WWE ELITE RINGSIDE EXCLUSIVE The Rock Summerslam 1998 Wrestling Action Figure
WWE ELITE RINGSIDE EXCLUSIVE The Rock Summerslam 1998 Wrestling Action Figure

4.0 out of 5 stars A Nearly Brilliant But Flawed RSC Exclusive, 25 Jun 2014
First up, the packaging on this figure is absolutely FANTASTIC and its a shame to open it, a lot of effort and attention went into it.
Its unique, eye catching and honestly, I didn't want to open it.

Open it I did!

This figure is (according to the box and accessories) based upon The Rock's Summerslam 1998 appearance against Triple H.
'Whats up with his trunks?' I hear you ask. the front has 'RM' and the back has 'The Rock' - Its usually the other way round.
Well these trunks are based on his King Of The Ring 1998 match against Ken Shamrock. The lettering's in blue surrounded by yellow.

The other massive flaw on this figure, and its a HUGE one, is The Great Ones TORSO. They used the 'extra beefed up' mould they used for modern Rock. In 1998, The Rock was FAR from this big. Even a casual collector willl surely notice something Isn't quite right with it. The rest of the body is fine, the Elite Articulation is great as usual, and I'm a big fan of the headscan, which has been used a couple of times before. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The accessories are where this figure truly shines. He comes with his sunglasses which fit his head fine. He also come with Mattels first ever yellow ladder (used in the Summerslam match) and its huge, well painted, sturdy and adds extra play value.
The final accessory is a real gem - its the Intercontinental Championship belt on a purple strap - another first for Mattel.

Overall, I like this figure. I want to love it, but the torso ruins it. The trunks bug me slightly as they're not very iconic, but that torso......

So close to a perfect figure.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Best Of Leonardo [DVD]
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Best Of Leonardo [DVD]
Price: 4.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Enough Content And Overpriced, 22 Jun 2014
I have seen this DVD go for 7 quid in some places which is VERY overpriced for a DVD with 3 episodes (68 minutes of content)
I picked up all 4 volumes in Asda for 3quid each and wouldn't pay a penny more.
Also, one of the 3 episodes on the DVD is dreadful.

The first is Hot Rodding Teenagers From Dimension X and throws you right into an ongoing story from Season 1 which may confuse new/young viewers.

The second episode is from Season 4 - Unidentified Flying Leonard - is truly awful. An episode about a farmer growing giant vegetables.....I kid you not.

Episode 3 is great fun. From Season 5 - Leonardo Cuts Loose features a favourite of mine, Casey Jones teaming up with Leo.

The DVD is presented in full-screen, has no bonus material and no subtitles.

Its lovely to own these and it was a wonderful blast from the past, but I think we deserve full season box-sets by now.

Loud Distribution Tenacious D - Truck Men's T-Shirt
Loud Distribution Tenacious D - Truck Men's T-Shirt
Price: 12.21 - 31.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect For Country Clubs, 18 Jun 2014
I wear this T-shirt when I go for expensive meals or play polo.
It has a wonderful print of characterized Jables and Rage Kage riding a Fenix through the night sky, and the Fenix DOES NOT in any way resemble a penis.
The T-shirt is a nice Gildan one, good quality with a nice clear print.
I ordered a medium and it fit absolutely perfect,

ROCK ON

OFFICIAL T Shirt TENACIOUS D Jack Black TRUCK Fenix Grey
OFFICIAL T Shirt TENACIOUS D Jack Black TRUCK Fenix Grey
Offered by ripleys clothing
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect For Country Clubs., 18 Jun 2014
I wear this T-shirt when I go for expensive meals or play polo.
The T-shirt is a nice Gildan one, good quality with a nice clear print.
I ordered a medium and it fit absolutely perfect,

ROCK ON

OFFICIAL T Shirt TENACIOUS D Jack Black FIERY FENIX Logo
OFFICIAL T Shirt TENACIOUS D Jack Black FIERY FENIX Logo
Offered by ripleys clothing
Price: 13.50

5.0 out of 5 stars WE ARE THE D, 18 Jun 2014
Absolutely LOVE this T-shirt. The shirt itself is a nice material and the print is perfect. Clear, and a good size.
Be warned, I'm not a 'fat' man, but I am certainly a slightly 'cuddly' shaped type of bloke.
I ordered medium (cocky or what) and it was on the slightly (only very slightly) side of too big.
Also, its a longer T-shirt than I would usually wear.
These are tiny little complaints - This Tshirt ROCKS!

TENACIOUS D Men's Fire Bird Short Sleeve T-Shirt
TENACIOUS D Men's Fire Bird Short Sleeve T-Shirt
Price: 13.99 - 16.13

5.0 out of 5 stars WE ARE THE D, 18 Jun 2014
Also, its a longer T-shirt than I would usually wear.
These are tiny little complaints - This Tshirt ROCKS!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20