Profile for D. Mccaffrey > Reviews

Content by D. Mccaffrey

D. Mccaffrey "DeckyStrikesBack" (Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Captain America: The Winter Soldier [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Captain America: The Winter Soldier [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Chris Evans
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, Exciting, Amazing., 22 Aug 2014
My personal favourite film of 2014 so far (amazing, since I strongly dislike the first) has arrived on ANOTHER disappointing Disney Blu Ray release. The film itself looks and sounds absolutely perfect - it really is showcase material for Blu Ray.
But not including the audio commentary, the extras add up to approximately 20 minutes.
For a quality film like this, that's just not good enough for DVD let alone Blu Ray!
This film has such a different tone for a Marvel film and felt so fresh after the slight let-downs of Thor the Dark World and Iron Man 3. Its feels grittier, with a very practical visual style and Captain America walks away from this film as my favourite Avenger.
I seriously recommend this film, but don't expect to be blown away by the release.
If you already own this and have watched the features, CUT THE CHECK!

The Toxic Avenger - Uncut Nuclear Edition [Blu-ray]
The Toxic Avenger - Uncut Nuclear Edition [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Andree Maranda
Price: 16.25

5.0 out of 5 stars 88Films Toxic Avenger Blu Ray Review - Toxie Gets Some Region 2 Love At Last, 16 Aug 2014
My Toxic Avenger Blu Ray arrived today, and Im just finished watching it. I can confirm it is still the absolute perfect Friday night film!
It is uncut (first time it has been in the UK since VHS) and is is widescreen.
The transfer is miraculous, honestly I can't believe how much of an upgrade this is from the Region1 DVD.
Theres next to no grain, day time scenes are at times razor sharp, and the colours are vivid. God damn I love Blu Ray (when done right)
There are no other languages other than English, and there are no subtitles.
Also included is the 92 minute Japanese cut (full-frame, awful picture quality) and an audio commentary by Lloyd Kaufman which I have yet to listen to, but its almost certain to be fun.
The bonus features appear plentiful, but theres nothing informative. Just a few short features (such as Toxie at home, Lloyd living on the streets, a tour of Troma HQ)
What I did really like though was 'Mopboy Secrets with commentary by Mark Torgl' a few minute compilation of Melvyns scenes with Mark giving some quite good insight.

The Blu Ray comes in a really unique green Amaray case, and has reversible cover art, its nice, but I'll be sticking with the classic poster I think.

I have noticed though, since pre-orders where put up on amazon, the inclusion of the DVD in this set has been dropped. Kind of a pity as I do miss those Double Play sets.

Overall -
Toxic Avenger fan? Please feel safe in buying this, it is AMAZING to see classics like this get treated so well and its a huge improvement on every previous release I have ever owned.

Not a Toxic Avenger fan? You just haven't experienced it yet!
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 25, 2014 8:24 PM BST

The Muppets Bumper 6 Movie Box Set [Blu-ray]
The Muppets Bumper 6 Movie Box Set [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Tina Fey
Price: 28.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Its Not Easy Being Blu., 12 Aug 2014
This was a must for me - Muppets Most Wanted on Blu Ray is 15 and this set was 28. That meant a brand new film and five upgrades for me.
4 of the films are also on Blu Ray for the first time in the UK.
The films are spread across 5 discs:

Muppets Most Wanted get its own case (all films are stored in slimline Amaray cases)
The Muppets (2011) and The Muppet Movie are in the second case on 2 separate discs.
The third case has 3 films. Muppet Christmas Carol gets a disc of its own, while Caper and Treasure Island are on 1 disc.

Muppets Most Wanted and The Muppets look GORGEOUS and sound perfect.

The Movie Movie, the best film in this set, is disappointing. Very grainy, rarely sharp but nice and colourful.

Muppet Christmas Carol (which the cover states is remastered) has another very disappointing transfer. Little better than the DVD I own, and its grainy. The film is still cut with 'when love is gone' still missing.

Great Muppet Caper looks absolutely terrible. Grainy, blurry and soft - honestly, stick with the DVD of this one!

Muppet Treasure Island, my personal worst Muppet movie, looks similar to Christmas Carol but slightly better.

If your wondering why 'Take Manhattan' and 'From Space' are not included, its likely due to the fact they are distributed by Columbia Tristar.

There are quite a few special features spread across the 5 discs, but nothing too essential.
For audio and subtitle details please feel free t check out the costumer images I uploaded.

A nearly amazing set, but very poor transfers for the classics take away from it. I would still recommend to Muppets fans, and who isn't a Muppet fan?
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2014 4:05 PM BST

Calvary [Blu-ray] [2014]
Calvary [Blu-ray] [2014]
Dvd ~ Brendan Gleeson
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Calvary Blu Ray Review, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Calvary [Blu-ray] [2014] (Blu-ray)
Calvary has arrived on Blu Ray and it looks and sounds absolutely gorgeous. The transfer is razor sharp with minimal to no grain and the colours bright, but muted when required.
The Blu Ray contains English subtitles and audio description. The bonus material (no subtitles) consists of 47 minutes of interviews with all major cast members and they are very enjoyable, particularly Pat Shortt, Dylan Moran, Chris ODowd and of course, Brendan Gleeson.
As for the film itself, it is absolutely unforgettable. With the best opening scene of the year, an amazing script, beautify scenery and some of the finest acting you will ever see, Calvary is an unforgettable film - up there with the likes of The Guard, Garage and The Commitments as one of my favourite Irish films of all time.
It can perhaps come across as over confident at times, but that's a minor complaint and one of my end.
I would highly recommend this film - also comes in a nice slipcase.

National Lampoon Vacation Boxset [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
National Lampoon Vacation Boxset [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Chevy Chase
Price: 12.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth It At The Current 12 But...., 10 Aug 2014
....The picture quality on all 4 films are DVD quality at best. Very grainy and soft. Seriously, I bought this set for 2 reasons (and it was definitely not a picture upgrade)

1) Vacation has an 85 minute documentary - worth a watch but for some reason has lots of interview clips repeated. Great to see so much of the cast interviewed but Randy Quaid is absent.
2) Christmas Vacation is uncut, unlike previous DVD releases.

I re-watched three of the films and checked the picture quality on Christmas Vacation (didn't feel like watching it in August!) and was so disappointed in them - I had to double check they weren't DVDs in a Blu Ray case!

As for the films:

Vacation is a classic, I absolutely love it.

European Vacation is painful viewing. This is only the second I have ever seen it, and it is even worse than I remember. Annoying kids, ugly visuals and a nasty tone. It's also a completely laugh free experience. It also has a VERY dull audio commentary by Chevy Chase.

Christmas Vacation - My favourite Christmas film, watched at least twice every December

Vegas Vacation - MUCH funnier than European Vacation, and good fun in that rubbish but brilliant 90's way (e.g. Tommy Boy, Bill Madison, Night At The Roxbury)

Overall, its essential if you're a fan and you don't have these films on DVD, and worth 12 for the new bonus material if your upgrading from DVD.

WWE Battle Packs 29 Los Matadores Wrestling Action Figure
WWE Battle Packs 29 Los Matadores Wrestling Action Figure
Offered by a1 Toys
Price: 24.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Olé!, 3 Aug 2014
This Battle Pack was one I was very excited about - two 'first in the line figures' and characters that are highly unlikely to get Elite releases.
This two pack contains Diego and Fernando, and while initially it looks like you are getting two identical figures, you are actually not.
One is taller (has longer legs) and both have different head-sculpts (Even the creases and folds on their masks are different)
The attire was well chosen, nice striking pink and blue in a sea of WWE figures with black attire.
Articulation is tight and the figures are solidly made. The gold detailing down the sides of their trousers are well detailed.
The accessories in this set are two identical black matador hats.
Highly recommend this 2 pack for play or display, but online prices seem to be a bit hefty - try and find it in store for approx 20 quid if you can.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes [Blu-ray + UV Copy]
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes [Blu-ray + UV Copy]
Dvd ~ Gary Oldman
Price: 15.00

4.0 out of 5 stars I DESPERATELY Wanted To Give This Five Stars, 27 July 2014
But after a week of thinking about it, I just can't.

Dawn is the sequel to Rise (the first should have been Dawn, and this sequel Rise) and Rise was one of my favourite films this decade.
It was an out of nowhere surprise, that revived a franchise I love, and I have revisited it multiple times since.

This sequel had a lot to live up to and although it surpasses the first film in many ways, (effects work, overall scale, musical score)
Dawn has a few flaws I'm finding hard to forgive.

1) The human cast are absolutely awful, every single character is an underwritten cardboard cut-out, and I include Gary Oldman in that.
2) The sub plot about the dam. I don't give a dam about a dam. Its an awful MacGuffin and a weak excuse for ape and human to mingle.
3) Whilst the ending battle is truly fantastic, when this film end I felt the story hadn't progressed enough from when it started. a full blown Planet Of The Apes still seems several films away.
4) The films (for me) money shot, involving Kobas encounter with some gin and a gun, is in the trailer. For me, its the most shocking scene in the entire film, up there with Caesars first 'no' and the trailer blew it.

Overall though, it is a fantastic and smart film, with some of the best effects work ever and Koba is an absolutely FANTASTIC character this time round, stealing the show. It also has some very powerful moments.

I'm not mad at this film, I'm just slightly disappointed.
I'm annoyed at myself for not loving it that little bit more.

And I actually missed Franco.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2014 1:23 PM BST

Accessory Agents 2 in 1 CD/DVD Cleaning Kit
Accessory Agents 2 in 1 CD/DVD Cleaning Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Needed., 26 July 2014
An excellent little bit of kit did exactly what I wanted it to.

I bought a few DVDs (new but with a suspicious amount of scuffs and fingerprints)
I stuck them in them in this little machine, and they came out like brand new - I was very content with this as I'm a bit OCD with my DVDs!

I tried an older DVD that was had deeper scratches on it, and it cleaned the disc up nicely but didn't have any effect on the deeper scratches.

Also includes a disc with tin little brushes in it, to put in your DVD/CD player to clean the laser if playback is affected.

Was also delivered in 24 hours, so very pleased.

Futurama - Season 7 [DVD] [2014]
Futurama - Season 7 [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Billy West
Price: 18.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Good News Everybody!, 26 July 2014
The best is back - Season 7 of Futurama (well, the first 13 episodes - sneaky!) are on Region 2 UK DVD at last.
This set contains 13 episodes over 2 discs and continues to be my favourite animated comedy. Its so imaginative, witty and gorgeous to look at.

This set comes in a plastic Amaray case with a nice cardboard sleeve and 4 art-cards which are nice little extras. It also states season 8 (really Season 7 part 2) is coming to DVD soon, so maybe Fox have finally got their futuristic finger out and are speeding up these releases for us UK fans.

Contains deleted scenes and commentaries along with some featurettes. Has subtitles in English, Finnish, German and French. Episodes are presented in widescreen.

A great purchase - recommended!

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs [Blu-ray] [Region B and C]
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs [Blu-ray] [Region B and C]
Dvd ~ Perce Pearce
Price: 15.00

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 star Film, Weak Release. The Extras Are...., 26 Jun 2014
This new Blu Ray release of the timeless classic Snow White contains one disc only.
It is the first disc from Disney s three disc set (2 Blu ray 1 DVD) from 2009.
A pity its only 1 disc, yes, but a welcome release for alot of people I'm sure.

The bonus features:

Audio Commentary by film historian John Canemaker
9 minute featurette Snow White Returns
11 minutes of deleted scenes
Some Day My Prince Will Come music video
8 minute sneak preview of The Princess and The Frog
'Disney View' which paints the black borders above and below the image (leave it off!)
three games played with your remote control.

Technical features:

1080p HD, presented in 1:33:1 widescreen
DTS 7.1 HD surround sound in english
Dolby digital 5.1 surround sound in Hindi and Spanish
DTS 5.1 in Italian, Spanish and Dutch
Eniglish, Italian, Spanish and Dutch subtitles.

I personally feel that when it comes to the UK market, Disney treat us poorly with regard to price and content, but there ya go.

CLASSIC film, POOR UK release.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20