Profile for Ciorstaidh MacTear > Reviews

Content by Ciorstaidh MacTear

Ciorstaidh MacTear (Scotland, UK)

Living Dead Lovers
Living Dead Lovers

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky and page-turning!, 10 July 2014
If you're looking for a different book with a lot of quirks and lovable characters then I recommend you give this one a read. This is my first Jonathan Dunne novel and I can't wait to start his others.

This novel makes you feel so much more appreciative of your upbringing and your parents through the life story of Cabbage, our main character and narrator. However there are plenty of laugh out loud moments too such as the first meeting of Willy, her father, and Nicolasia, her mother, and the tattoo parlor. Add in to the mixture some tender moments with Cabbage's guardian angel, Mr. Brick Shithouse and you have a fantastic read!

I both loved and no-so-loved the characters which is a good thing! I really felt for Cabbage after she met certain characters (I won't spoil but Slaphappy and Magma) whereas Nicolasia irked me more and more as the story progressed (again, a good thing!).

It does contain some more adult themes and language but they only add to the charm of Cabbage's autobiographical story!

Overall a great, funny, must-read story and recommended to those with a dark sense of humour!

The Last Wild
The Last Wild
by Piers Torday

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically imaginitive!, 28 April 2014
This review is from: The Last Wild (Paperback)
First of all, let’s talk about this cover, shall we? This cover is simply fantastic with such contrasting colours that it really grabs your attention. As I read through the book the animals on the cover (both front and back) made more sense along with the beautiful detail of Stag’s eye and the green watch on Kester’s wrist. In short, I love this cover!

This book is highly imaginative and the plot, although slightly complicated, is easy to follow, wonderfully written, and so easy to immerse yourself in. There is an element of dystopia in it too as the world has been plagued with a virus called “Red Eye” which has killed off all but a rare few animals (and the pests which are aptly named “varmints.”). The characters within this world, both animal and human, are fantastic and I found it really easy to grow attached to each of the “good” characters and even easier to dislike the “bad.” I won’t spoil anything for those of you wishing to read this but watch out for Captain Skuldiss! *boo hiss*

Even though this books is 326 pages long, it is by no means a long and drawn out read. The plot is split into six parts (each with it’s own mini-chapter-starter-illustration-thing) and each part has a lot going on to hold your interest. It is hard for me to think that this book would just be suited to younger readers as I, at 23 and 1/2, thoroughly enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading the sequel The Dark Wild. I honestly think that this book would be suited for anyone and everyone!

Code Breakers: Alpha
Code Breakers: Alpha

2.0 out of 5 stars Artificial Evil, 19 Mar 2014
Artificial Evil is a sci-fi dystopian thriller which follows a man called Gerry Cardle as his number comes up in the Death Lottery when it’s not supposed to and how he deals with being a rebel.

The main thing I didn’t like about this novel was that nothing was really explained to you, the reader. Gerry is introduced at the beginning of the book already having been chosen by the Death Lottery. Facts as to who The Family are, what the Cataclysm was, and the background to City Earth are not told to you which, for me, makes the plot a little hard to follow/immerse myself in. There is also the fact that the level of action never changes throughout the book. You are flung straight in at the deep end so there is no climax or let up at all.

The plot does have potential, however, as do the characters. As much as I like the character of Petal, she is a bit of a rebel Mary Sue with her pink Mohican, purple lipstick, and overall punk look.

Now for the parts that I did like. The portrayal of the rogue AI’s and the act of “exorcising” them was an interesting concept. Petal’s skill as a Techxorcist and the effects of storing and dumping codes I liked as well. I also found the general idea of a cyberpunk dystopian quite interesting as it is a genre I haven’t really read or even seen around before.

For a self-published, free Kindle book, it is not bad but I doubt I will continue on with the series.

TIMOTHY
TIMOTHY
by Mark Tufo

4.0 out of 5 stars Short but packed!, 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: TIMOTHY (Paperback)
Timothy is an adult horror novella written by Mark Tufo. It follows the story of a children’s entertainer (a clown) called Timothy who, ironically, detests children and most other things in the world. After suffering from a huge migraine Timothy finds his body has been taken over by a zombie-like virus while his mind remains his own.

If you have a fear of clowns and/or zombies then this book is definitely not for you. If you don’t like gore, gore, and more gore, then this book is definitely not for you either. The quality of the imagery is fantastic (or as fantastic as s*** and puke can be) and you can almost smell Timothy once the virus takes hold of his body.

This is a really fast paced book with sections of funny dialogue between Timothy and the virus as well as between Timothy and other characters. At 100 pages this book doesn’t take long to read at all and, if you’re not squeamish, it can be read in one sitting.

There is really nothing I didn’t like about this book. I would really like to read Mark Tufo’s other work and, of course, the sequel to Timothy!

The Strain
The Strain
by Guillermo del Toro

5.0 out of 5 stars The Strain, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Strain (Paperback)
First of all, I am a great fan of Guillermo del Toro's film work so when I found out that he had written a trilogy I simply had to buy all three regardless. I was really intrigued to find out where Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan would take their vampires and I am very glad that they are truly "horror" characters. The Strain is the first book in The Strain Trilogy (The Fall being second, and The Night Eternal being third) and I was gripped from the very beginning.

The plot follows a character called Dr Ephraim Goodweather who is called in to investigate the reason behind a plane going completely dark just after landing at JFK airport. Another character the plot follows is a man called Abraham Setrakian who has had encounters with the Vampires (more specifically, The Master), while he was held in a concentration camp during WWII. Together they must find and exterminate the Vampires and make their way to The Master in order to save New York, and also, the world.

The main point that I really enjoyed in this novel was the way in which people are "infected." The Vampires were still humanoid but, instead of the classic canines, the infected change physically and grow a stinger beneath their tongue. This stinger can extend to around six feet and is what infects the next victim.

I found that there were plenty of events in this book to keep me interested and reading. The characters, too, were interesting and seeing their reactions to their situations was interesting also. I'm really looking forward to starting the second and thirds books in the trilogy and highly recommend The Strain to anyone looking for a good horror novel!

I think that, due to Guillermo del Toro's film experience, The Strain reads almost like a script however the descriptions and flow are amazing and caused me to fly through this book. I would not recommend this novel to those who do not like to read very descriptive gore scenes!

Ladies Warm Winter Coat Thicken Fleece Zip Hooded Parka Long Overcoat Sz 8-20 By BetterMore Store
Price: £15.59 - £26.44

4.0 out of 5 stars Size 10-12, 22 Nov 2013
The jacket arrived really quickly and was vacuum packed. It's really warm, fits well, and is great now that Winter is coming in. My only gripe is that the hood is a bit small (doesn't quite cover whole head) but it's not a massive issue.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2013 4:11 PM GMT

The Ocean at the End of the Lane
The Ocean at the End of the Lane
by Neil Gaiman

4.0 out of 5 stars The Ocean at the End of the Lane, 21 Nov 2013
A middle-aged man is brought back to events during his childhood after he leaves a funeral and drives to his childhood home. The protagonist remembers the house at the end of his lane which belonged to the Hempstock family, consisting of Lettie, her mother, and her grandmother.

Firstly, this book was advertised as Gaiman's first adult novel however it did not read that way. It felt very much like it was more aimed at young adults than adults. Secondly, the book (my edition, anyway) is only 243 pages long but Gaiman says in the Acknowledgements at the back of the book that the story began as a short story.

However there are plenty of good points to this book. I found the characters to be well written and believable, especially the antagonist, Ursula Monkton. The character of Ursula really helped, in my opinion, to make the story interesting as she is a character that most children can relate to in their lives even before everything about her is revealed to the reader.

The imagery that Gaiman creates when the plot really takes off is stunning and really helps the reader to immerse themselves in the story. For this reason, I could read this novel in only a few sittings as I am quite a slow reader.

I can't really say anything else about this novel without giving anything away but I recommend that, if you like Gaiman's writing, you read The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

Power Parts C7 (Figure of Eight) Power Cord for Laptop Adapter/Charger
Power Parts C7 (Figure of Eight) Power Cord for Laptop Adapter/Charger
Offered by SmartSalesUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Figure of Eight Power Cord, 20 July 2013
This product does exactly what it says on the tin for a good price. The figure of eight cord fits the charger for my Sony Vaio laptop perfectly with no loose connections and I have yet to encounter any problems with it.

Kellogg's S'mores Pop Tarts - 416g
Kellogg's S'mores Pop Tarts - 416g
Offered by SOUTH AFRICAN FOODS

5.0 out of 5 stars S'mores Pop Tarts, 15 Feb 2012
These pop tarts, to both my sister and myself, are the best of the flavours. Unfortunately, that means two boxes rarely last more than a week! Here in the UK we don't have these, not cheaply anyway, so buying them on here is great!

Twinings Tea Bags Traditional English Breakfast Fine High Quality Aromatic Ref A00805 [Pack 100]
Offered by Choice Stationery Supplies Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Twinings English Breakfast Tea, 15 Feb 2012
If I have to recommend a tea to someone then this is the one I always suggest. It's a stunningly beautiful tea that goes down well regardless of whether you drink it black or with milk and sugar. Great value for money, too, compared to the supermarkets that stock the 100 packs.