Profile for David J. Eaves > Reviews

David J. Eaves

Pure + Breathe
Pure + Breathe

5.0 out of 5 stars Under rated yet thorughly enjoyable, 28 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Pure + Breathe (Audio CD)
BUY THIS, AN ABSOLUTE BARGAIN FOR 2 GREAT ALBUMS!!!

Pure - My favourite Midge solo record, vastly under rated. Highlights include Let It Go, Cold Cold Heart, Rising. Cant fault this album. Love it! Closest sounding album to Ultravox in my opinion. Some great rockers, some great ballads and not a weak track in sight.

Breathe - Not a bad album. Very folky. Fields of Fire a personal favourite. Very easy listening but not one to blow you away overall.

Any casual admirer who buys this stupidly cheap package will be delighted they did.

U-VOX: Remastered Definitive Edition
U-VOX: Remastered Definitive Edition

3.0 out of 5 stars And there were three......, 28 Aug. 2009
After a cracking performance at Live Aid, Ultravox returned to the studio in '86 and BANG! it all went horribly wrong.
Warren Cann was crazily fired and the result was U-Vox which even Midge Ure and Billy Currie have since dismissed as a weak effort!
Not a lot can be said about this album, it really isn't the best. Some good tracks but no chemistry on it, little focus, the songs dont flow aat all plus also so damn awful tracks! Personal favourites for me are Sweet Surrender and Dream On (the only one on here that sounds like an Ultravox song), the singles Same Old Story, All Fall Down and All in One Day are in my opinion "not bad" but if listened to on the new "best of" show their weakness after all the 80-84 classics, other then that it's the album to gather dust from the Ultravox catalogue. Awful artwork too.
Shame but worth buying to complete the collection AND I admit I'm looking forward to the live recordings from Glasgow very much.
I hope they're splitting the royalties from this remaster 4 ways with Warren as an apology ;-)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2009 6:57 PM GMT

Lament: Remastered Definitive Edition
Lament: Remastered Definitive Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Album, 2 things missed out though!, 28 Aug. 2009
I cant fault this album in any shape or form, I have always loved every track AND even the artwork!
The album itself contained 8 classic tracks, not one filler or "naff" track was on Lament.
With regards to this package the only slight disappointments for me are that the "rare as rocking horse poo" Heart of the Country 12" isn't included which is a shame as I cant find it anywhere (yes I have a download of it but not a CD of it) and even worse where's Love's Great Adventure 7" and 12"?? Yes, I know they weren't on the original but why are they being left off the remasters? My fave Ultravox track ever and it wasn't played on the tour and now ain't on here which is a pain.
So, 2 missed opportunities in my opinion but as I say, I cant fault this album at all.
A cracking album, cant wait for the next tour which will hopefully include LGA and Man of 2 Worlds (this albums best track in my opinion!)
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2013 6:25 PM GMT

Just Good Friends: Series 3 [DVD]
Just Good Friends: Series 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Paul Nicholas

5.0 out of 5 stars About Time Too..., 3 April 2007
I agree with Matt's review totally. This programme was sheer class and I have been longing for this release for a very long time!

Cant wait, really cant.

I do have an old VHS copy of this taped when it was actually on but you can imagine the poor quality of it so roll on June! Shame we cant get a 1 off special to see where Vince and Pen are now..oh and his lovely Mother Rita too!

Something's Going On
Something's Going On

4.0 out of 5 stars Something really was going on......?????, 22 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Something's Going On (Audio CD)
Something really was going on......when a newly divorced Frida went into the studio with a certain Phil Collins!

The result was a rocky, enjoyable and gutsy attempt to sound as little like Abba as possible but still do her voice and style justice.

Tracks like Turn the Stone and the even better title track are 10/10 and should have has huge sales for her. Threnody, written by Per Gessel, later of Roxette fame, is fab, I See Red is cheesy but fun, the opener Tell Me is a great rocker and the Frida/ Phil duet Here We'll Stay sounds like it should be on Genesis's Duke!!!

Overall, a great album with a few dull moments here and there.

Not as good as her 1984 album "Shine", but good for different reasons.

Any Abba fan should check it out but DON'T expect it to be like listening to another Abba album. Judge it on its own merits, I did and love it!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 5, 2009 1:03 PM GMT

Frida
Frida

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!!!!!, 22 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Frida (Audio CD)
A marvellous and great value box set!

Worth buying for the DVD and 2 English albums alone, plus the 2 Swedish ones are pleasant to listen to even if the words make as much sense as the chef from the Muppett Show!

Any and every Abba fan should own this if only for the best Shine and Somethings Going On tracks and the DVD.

Go get it......