Profile for C. Garlick > Reviews

Content by C. Garlick

C. Garlick "Chris Garlick" (Northampton, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Galaxy Bowling Lite
Galaxy Bowling Lite

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 18 Dec 2014
This review is from: Galaxy Bowling Lite (App)
Nothing to do with bowling. This is a simple game of "line up the ball with the pins ". No skill required hence zero game play or interest. .. uninstalled after 30 seconds.

307> Soft Black Case For 2 Piece Snooker Pool Cue
307> Soft Black Case For 2 Piece Snooker Pool Cue
Offered by MATCHPLAY BILLIARD SUPPLIES

2.0 out of 5 stars PVC, 4 Nov 2014
This item is sold as a "soft case" and looks quite leather-y in the photos, but in fact it's made of cheap PVC, like you might get on a baby's changing mat. In particular the 'handle' is a single thickness of said PVC which I reckon would very soon just snap. SO - not a terrible mis-description, but bad enough that I bought the item expecting a far better quality product than that which actually arrived. I actually bought this to complement a new cue that I got for my girlfriend - but in the end I didn't give it to her as it would have let the cue down and looked naff. That said - delivery etc. was prompt.

Compact Mini Size High Power Hi Fi USB MP3 SD Stereo AMP Amplifier Remote Control For Home, Car, Motorcycle, Van, Boat Motor bike And So On (Blue)
Offered by Kastone electronics

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit shiny but sounds good (albeit not very powerful), 12 Aug 2014
Typical cheap-and-cheerful little Chinese amp.. a bit blingy and shiny but actually does the job quite well.

As other reviewers have said, you need to crank this up to the max to get anything decent out of it - when I first switched mine on, with the volume at a cautious half-way, there way no sound at all so I assumed for a moment it was faulty. I bought this for when I'm away at music festivals in my Camper - so I will be driving it from my mobile phone either via the MP3 input or via bluetooth adapter - and I had to have the volume on my phone turned fully up, plus the amp turned fully up, before I could get music loud enough to enjoy outdoors (through my Gale 7" 2-way monitor speakers).

But - that said, it has a pleasant tone, and there's no sign of distortion even at full volume.

Not sure why other reviewers have had issues with the little remote - the volume controls on mine seem to work fine - it's a bit fiddly and plasticky as you'd expect; I doubt I shall ever use it, but it does seem to work. Most of the buttons on it are clearly meant to help you navigate a music source plugged into (eg) the SD card slot on the amp, or the USB slot... I haven't tried those yet so can't report on that.

Aesthetically speaking - it's not a bad looking little amp but very shiny as I said earlier - spoiled further (for me) by an over-bright red power LED on the front and two further red LEDs which modulate in time to the music (left and right channels) - a bit blingy and pointless but not the end of the world.

All in all - quite satisfied. You get a decent 12V DC mains power adapter and a good quality 3.5mm to RCA (headphone jack to Phono) included in the box. It has a good range of input options (USB, SD, Phone, 3.5mm). It goes loud enough (just) for what I need - so can't really grumble.

Hope this helps.

tinxi® Mini Hi-Fi Audio sound HiFi Stereo Amplifier for Car Auto motor MP3 input CD DVD Black
Offered by tinxi-shop Delivery from Germany, 3 - 6 days

1.0 out of 5 stars Crap., 6 Aug 2014
Didn't expect much at this price (just a cheap amp to provide some music for my Camper) - but this was faulty right out of the box. Simply did not work - not even a power light. I am a qualified electrician so not exactly a beginner to hooking up a 12v DC amp.. but this thing is cheap and nasty and was dead on arrival. A total waste of money and a big disappointment. Avoid - do not buy. Rubbish.

Zoostorm Q6010 10.1-inch Tablet PC (ARM Cortex A9 Quad Core 1.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 16GB SSD, Android OS, v4.2.2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably good ! A bargain at this price., 28 Jan 2014
I've had this tablet for a month or so now, having been sceptical about tabs for years and thinking I would probably never use one even if I had one. I was also seriously worried, having bought someone a non-mainstream-branded and disappointing Android tablet as a gift a while ago, that it would feel cheap, have a poor screen, and be slow, compared with the undeniably lovely but ludicrously priced iPad that I'm just not prepared to shell out for (not a big Apple fan).

Amazon as usual delivered the item on time (Prime next day), although the packaging was a bit naff... a huge brown Amazon box about 2 feet by one foot, with the Tablet box (12" x 8") rattling about inside it. Was slightly worried by this but - no signs at all of any harm done.

The PlayTab comes in a good quality nicely branded box of its own that does not feel at all 'cheap'. Opening it reveals a surprising lack of stuff, as others here have mentioned. You get the PlayTab, a microUSB lead, the charger (plug-socket brick type), and a piece of paper telling you where you can download a manual. That's it... but it's all you need, of course.

The PlayTab came fully charged, or nearly so. Switching it on takes a prolonged press of the power button which feels like ages... it needs something like 4 seconds of pressing. Upon firing it up, for some bizarre reason you see four cartoon penguins with yellow beaks and feet (IT people and geeks like me will recognise these as the Linux penguins), at the top left of the screen, for about twelve seconds, then they disappear and the machine boots to a Zoostorm splashcreen. Startup is SLOW... taking about 80 seconds in total. I was getting worried at this point.

Eventually the machine boots to a nice pale blue Android lock screen with a clock and a slidey padlock icon... flick this padlock left or right to unlock, and you're at the home screen / desktop... the usual Android job with 5 virtual screens at which the centre one, where you start, is Home, and you draggy-slide on the touch screen to move between them. It's bog standard vanilla Android 4.2.2 JellyBean, which has been described and reviewed way better than I ever could, elsewhere on the web, so I won't bother describing it any further here.

The first thing you notice is the screen. It's amazingly good for this money. Bright, sharp and clear, with vibrant colours. It is instantly, crisply responsive to the touch, without hesitating or ignoring you as cheaper screens do. On the cheapo tablet that I bought for my Ex (ha ha vengeance is mine!) you sometimes had to prod futilely at icons several times to get things happening - however the PlayTab responds instantly to the touch. Things like pinch-zoom, also work perfectly.

Which brings us to performance. My evil Ex's cheapo tab (this one --> http://www.amazon.co.uk/FUSION5-XTRA-COMPACT-Tablet-Capacitive/dp/B00CX1XKHY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390943086&sr=8-2&keywords=Fusion5+Tablet ) had 1Gb of RAM and a dual-core CPU, and it was obvious from the start that it was nowhere near man enough to run Android 4.2 - as I said - it was so slow and stuttery as to be pretty much not worth using, and I hope it is still driving her nuts as we speak :-). The 2Gb and quad core chip in this Zoostorm, however, is a totally different kettle of fish.

It's Ipad-crisp and quick. I know because I set it next to my daughter's Ipad and we did various benchmark tests. Web access was actually FASTER, on the PlayTab !. Dragging between windows is smooth. Apps run fast, and I can hammer it with 10+ apps running at a time and there is no noticeable slowdown in performance. BBC iPlayer works well, videos are perfect - in fact I'm watching the BBC News on it as I write this. The excellent screen does a good job of making the Kindle app very pleasant to use. I can't remember to be honest what apps were pre-loaded, but you get what you need for starters, including Play Store. I instinctively installed Firefox on it straight away, because that is my browser of choice, but to be honest I have reverted to the stock browser on the PlayTab because it is faster and seems to have better native multimedia support. Someone else here has said that the on-board audio is tinny and faint - that's true. Don't buy this as a music player or media streamer, unless you will be using earphones or a Bluetooth speaker... oh yes, and the on-board Bluetooth on the Tab works very well, as does the Wi-Fi. It comes with a Navigation app installed, but oddly and sadly - no GPS :-(

Battery life and charge time are excellent - I read the reviews on here about the battery fading out after a very short time... all I can say is, mine seems to get about 7 hours of use out of a charge, and it charges in way less than that (haven't timed it but 4 hours sounds about right). Weirdly, when the battery IS getting flat, things like WIFi seem to get a bit temperamental... but that is in some ways understandable if it's trying to use a power-saving mode; lower signal strengths etc.

The case is lovely and feels great in your hands. It has a slightly rubberised back with subtle ridges for your fingertips, making it nice to hold. The screen bezel, though, is a little wide (about 1" at the sides, 3/4" top and bottom), and coupled with the very gently curved outline, this makes it feel quite large, and heavy - although I think "substantial and well made" is fairer than "heavy". This is the only "negative" point I can think of - apart from that it doesn't seem to like powering off when on charge, seeming to want to stay in Standby. Simple answer is to power it off first then put it on charge.

All in all, I was really pleasantly surprised with this Tab. I have barely put it down since getting it, and it has certainly proved to be a brilliant choice. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Hope this review helps -

Chris.

Folding Lightweight Rollator wheeled walking frame with brakes, seat and tray and stick holder
Offered by Fenetic Wellbeing

5.0 out of 5 stars Has made a huge difference., 16 Sep 2013
I bought this for my Mum who is 83 and ordinarily walks with two sticks. This of course makes opening doors, carrying shopping etc, near impossible. This Rollator has made a real difference to her mobility and she positively skips along now. It does require minimal assembly out of the box, but this was no problem. The basket is useful and there's a place to stow a stick, which is a nice touch. It's solidly made, has a real quality feel about it and is very impressive for the price. The only slight niggle, I suppose, is that when the front wheels encounter even a very low kerb, or pavement-edge, it stops dead... larger front wheels would help it to better overcome obstacles, I think. However that is presumably common to all Rollators. All in all - really pleased with this item, and would definitely recommend it.

F15w - T8 Triphosphor Fluorescent Tube 18inch 15W - Cool White - 840
F15w - T8 Triphosphor Fluorescent Tube 18inch 15W - Cool White - 840
Offered by Dependable Trading LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what you would expect, 16 Sep 2013
No problems at all, direct replacement for the old tube, works perfectly. 'Cool white' gives a nice illumination to my tank (not too glary or cold) and really brings out the colours in the fish. Excellent delivery by very helpful driver who went the extra mile to locate my hard-to-find house, too... all in all, very pleased :-)

19V 4.74A Genuine Lavolta AC Adapter Laptop Charger for Toshiba Satellite Pro Equium Satellite A300 A300D A500 A660 A665 L300D L350D L450 L450D L500 L500D L505 L550 L555 L650D L750 L755 L850 L870 P200D P300 P300D P750 P755 P770 L855 L875 P850 P855 P875 fits PA3716E-1AC3 PA3516E-1AC3 - Lavolta (TM) Branded Notebook Power Supply with UK Power Cord
Offered by Smart Parts UK, Digital Lifestyle Retailer

4.0 out of 5 stars No problems, working well, 5 Aug 2013
Arrived quickly, well packaged, so far is doing a good job as a replacement for my stock Toshiba charger, with no signs of the overheating etc reported by some people for (lesser, cheaper) replacement chargers. Would recommend this product.

Pink Flowers Gel Silicone Protective Armour Case Cover for Apple iPhone 4 By V Direct Accessories

2.0 out of 5 stars Fast delivery and initially looks nice but design / artwork soon wears thin, 5 Aug 2013
Ordered this as a little 'stocking filler' for my girlfriend's birthday, so wasn't really expecting too much..... it arrrived quickly and initially looked very nice, she loved it, but after only 6 weeks the white colouring has already started to wear through at the edges to the pink-ish underlying silicon colour.. it looks pretty worn and bettered already despite light use and being kept in her bag most of the time. Not particularly impressed I'm afraid.

August MR220 - Bluetooth Audio Receiver for Sound Systems - Bluetooth Wireless Music Adaptor for Car Radio / Home Stereo / Headphones / Portable Speakers - Bluetooth Enable your Audio Devices - White
Offered by Daffodil UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome awesome awesome !!!, 2 July 2013
Unbelievably small and lovely, about the size of a packet of Swan Vestas (for the older folks out there!) - ie, a large box of matches.

Works perfectly. Very easy (dare I say foolproof ?!) to pair up with every device I have tried - Android phone, laptop, iPhone - and reproduces sound very well. I blart music into this thing from my Samsung Galaxy S2, via bluetooth, and take the 3.5mm aux-out into a car amp (also reviewed on here) and then into a pair of speakers, all wired into my Camper, for when I am camping or at Festivals... and it works beautifully. The only gripe I have - is that there's no way to fix it down, ie, mount it permanently as I need to do in my setup... but then it's not really designed for that, I guess, and a pair of sticky Velcro pads does the job.

The Bluetooth receiver is rechargeable, and so has to be charged (via a USB charger lead, supplied) before it will work - but it seems to take only five or ten minutes to achieve sufficient charge to work for quite a while. On a full charge it lasts for a whole day of fairly constant use.

Range-wise, it quotes 10 metres and I think that is more or less honest, maybe pushing it slightly. I'd say maybe 9 or 10 metres MAX, with line-of-sight (ie through open air) and at that point it is beginning to break up a bit. However for what I need, it's great. I have it wired into my camper, inside a cubby hole, and I can sit outside with my phone in my pocket, maybe 3 or 4 metres away from the Bluetooth adapter, squirting music at it, with no problems at all, despite the fact that it's going through the aluminium/wood body of the camper and the phone is in my pocket.

The one control button, the two 3.5mm connector jacks (sound and power), and the blue LEDs, have a quality feel and overall the thing is solid and well made. When hooked into my amp and speakers, it makes a very pleasing happy 'bing-bong' noise through the speakers when you pair to it, and a sadder-sounding 'bing-bong' noise when you disconnect... excellent !! :-) All in all, delightful little bit of kit, thoroughly recommended.

Hope this helps :-)