Profile for Es > Reviews

Without Conscience: Story of Charles Manson in His Own Words
Without Conscience: Story of Charles Manson in His Own Words
by Charles Manson

2.0 out of 5 stars Or.... "Confessions of The Lowest Form Of Life", 9 Dec. 2014
The subject is the main reason that I don't like this book, although it is fairly well written but took me the first few chapters to really get into it. I'd already read 'Helter Skelter' and wanted to read another side of the same story.

Charles Manson is, as the title states, Without Conscience. Yes, he's had a very poor childhood and is so institutionalised that he is genuinely unable to cope with the responsibilities of the real world. Does that excuse his actions? Many will think so but the Manson that was depicted to me really is a plotter and schemer and there wasn't any level he wouldn't stoop to in the manipulation of the young people he (initially) drugged and controlled to make his way through life ensuring others provide for him whether or not he is entitled to anything from them. He made sure he took his share (and more) of whatever was on offer (including drugged sex) and really believed in his self appointed position of "guru" when he was no more than a grubby little hobo who should have been punished more than he has been - he's been happy to live his days out imprisoned (and looked after without any effort - again) and even happier no doubt that he has recently arranged his wedding to a delusional 25 year old who has convinced herself that he's not what people say he is. Oh dear, You couldn't make it up!

Anyway it's a good read if you can manage to contain your feelings towards this smug pondlife and I'm so glad that he doesn't make a cent out of it.

Perfect Phrases for Dealing with Difficult People: Hundreds of Ready-to-Use Phrases for Handling Conflict, Confrontations and Challenging Personalities (Perfect Phrases)
by Susan Benjamin

2.0 out of 5 stars So funny, 5 Dec. 2014
I highly recommend this book for all the wannabe corporate speakers out there. I've heard so much of this over the years: "Moving forward" blah blah blah. Don't the "bosses" realise the ridiculousness of such phrases yet? (How we laugh)
Page 47 however, is absolutely brilliant on How To Confront The Bully Boss eg starter phrase #1: (You say to your bully boss) "Comments like that are unproductive and do nothing but create bad feelings". If I ever hear anyone use that phrase at work I won't be able to contain myself! *dabs eyes*
On the humorous basis, I'd give this 5 stars ;o)

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie: Extra Sweet Edition (If You Give...Book)
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie: Extra Sweet Edition (If You Give...Book)
by Laura Joffe Numeroff

5.0 out of 5 stars Still love it after all these years, 5 Dec. 2014
I bought this for my 6 year old niece as my son had it when he was little and he loved it.
We had a paperback but this hardback is lovely although a longer story than I remember. She'll love the little stickers at the back so all in all, a great little book for those learning to read (suitable for boys and girls).

Womdee(TM) Bohemian Women Lady Vintage Retro Tribal Lucky Pattern Soft Chiffon Scarf Large Beach Shawl-Red With Womdee Accessory
Offered by DS-Mart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great look, great price!, 5 Dec. 2014
Absolutely love this scarf and it's a great size and quite good quality. Great value and been admired. Slow delivery but worth waiting for. I've never really worn scarves much but now I'm acquiring a small collection. Strange little freebies with Womdee items - don't know how they keep their costs so low!

Womdee(TM) Fashion Soft Chiffon Black Cat Prints Ladies /Women Long Scarf Shawls-Apricot With Womdee Accessory
Offered by DS-Mart.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good value, 5 Dec. 2014
Light, fine and plenty of it - great value and looks lovely. Suitable for those little "extra" pressies! Takes circa 3 weeks to arrive.

Scary Mary (The Scary Mary Series Book 1)
Scary Mary (The Scary Mary Series Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely dreadful, 30 Oct. 2014
Whether it's free or cheap, don't waste any of your life even bothering to read it - it's woeful.

eFuture(TM) Beige Blue Porcelain Pattern Gaze De Paris Scarf Thin Long Scarf Wrap Silk Scarves For women Girl Lady +eFuture's nice Keyring
Offered by SR-Store.

1.0 out of 5 stars Item not as described, 30 Oct. 2014
i was really looking forward to getting this porcelain blue scarf as it looked quite pretty in the picture. Instead I received a weird tannish/brownish colour with a huge print of what looks like jellyfish! UGH! UGH! UGH!
Still, it's not a bad sized scarf and I'm sure someone will buy it from the charity shop.
Really disappointed after waiting 23 days to discover I paid for something that resembles the colour of canine pavement deposits!

Twelve Years a Slave
Twelve Years a Slave

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok..., 26 Oct. 2014
It's ok but (for me) doesn't really portray the reality of what slaves had to endure on a daily basis. This may be because of when it was written as it comes across as understated and in places, subservient/fearful of telling the gruesome truth.

Fly London Women's Mabel Boot Black P141050003 3 UK
Fly London Women's Mabel Boot Black P141050003 3 UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality but a tad wide fitting, 26 Oct. 2014
I bought these boots to wear with skinny jeans as they have a snug fit around the ankle and can be worn under jeans rather than trying to tuck your jeans into them and have the jeans constantly riding up out of them like many other boots.
Unfortunately they are quite a wide fit everywhere else (although I do have a slim foot). Size 36 is actually size 3.5 and not my usual size 3 which is why most of the boots I buy these days require a thick insole - these do too. The inner heel will take a while to break in and on my first day of wear, I hobbled home minus the skin on my heel where they rub (just inside the pull-on tab) and dreadful foot cramp. However, I will persevere as they are really good quality and look great on. (I'll be softening the leather on the heel with a few hammer blows to loosen it up a bit).

Lovely boots but will need perseverance with breaking them in.

Spiral Draw (Klutz)
Spiral Draw (Klutz)
by Doug Stillinger

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic but enjoyable., 26 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Spiral Draw (Klutz) (Paperback)
Based on the Spirograph we loved as kids, my 6 year old niece loves this. She had initial difficulty working out how to use it but with a little help from mum, she mastered it and loves it. Fairly basic compared to the original but challenging for the younger users. A great little "crafty" present.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5