Profile for G. Sam Pouch > Reviews

Content by G. Sam Pouch

G. Sam Pouch (Ireland.)

The Medical Detective: John Snow, Cholera and the Mystery of the Broad Street Pump
by Sandra Hempel
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing from start to finish, 24 Sep 2007
It was through the BBC series "Seven wonders of the Industrial World" that I first learned of the life and work of Dr John Snow and it was this that prompted me to buy Sandra Hempel's book, and I am so glad I did. It is a first rate story of one mans quest to understand and treat a terrfying disease and of the fierce opposition he faced from his peers, it is also a magnificent insight into society, disease and some of the appalling treatments metered out to try and cure patients in Victorian England. If nothing else after reading this book you may not looks at the NHS in such a poor light, considering how you would have been treated one hundred and fifty years ago.

The Last Fighting Tommy:  The Life of Harry Patch, the Only Surviving Veteran of the Trenches
The Last Fighting Tommy: The Life of Harry Patch, the Only Surviving Veteran of the Trenches
by Harry Patch
Price: 14.43

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly remarkable biography., 22 Sep 2007
I have read most of Richard Van Emden's books on the great war but this is surely my favourite. If you are expecting a book solely about the horrors of trench warfare you will be disappointed, what you get instead is one mans perspective of life over the last century and it is truly a wonderful read. Harry Patch is by standards "an ordinary man" but he is remarkably honest in this book, even recalling what must be truly awful to have to remember. I read this book in two sittings and was very moved by the narrative. I suppose because of the fact that when Harry Patch is gone the last link to the trenches dies as well and then it is truly history. As a biography and a perspective on twentieth century history from a man at our own level this is a must read.

Thrill-power Overload
Thrill-power Overload
by David Bishop

1.0 out of 5 stars A Dissappointment., 13 July 2007
This review is from: Thrill-power Overload (Hardcover)
Having waited months to recieve Thrill power overload I was sorry I bothered. As a fan since the first issue I was looking forward to a book with original artwork and conceptual designs with perhaps photograps from the archive and interviews with the artists and authors who made 2000ad what it is but instead I got a book about bickering and infighting with very little of interest about the process and actual history of the comic.
This is a truly dissappointing book when you consider what it could have contained, even for the hard core fan I do not feel you will feel this is a worthy tome about what is considered a benchmark publication in British comic history.