Profile for P. Philips > Reviews

Content by P. Philips

P. Philips (Sutton Coldfield UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Creative Blaster Audigy Fx 5.1 PCIe Sound Card with SBX Pro Studio

3.0 out of 5 stars A couple of things to consider before purchasing.., 21 Oct 2013
Creative Blaster Audigy Fx 5.1 PCIe Sound Card with SBX Pro Studio

I ordered this Soundcard via the Amazon Vine programme and was looking forward to testing it on my home PC which has an AMD 640 X4 3.0Ghz quadcore CPU and 4GB RAM. The problem is that I'm still running Windows XP Home on this PC and when I attempted to install it using the supplied installation CD, I received an error message saying that XP was not supported by it and that Windows Vista or later is needed. Nor was I able to locate a suitable XP driver for this card via Windows Update or anywhere else.
This is the first piece of hardware I've used which does not support XP, though it must be said that it is to be expected that more and more hardware and software will gradually cease to support XP as it is shortly due to become a legacy OS when support ends in April 2014.
The second issue I had is that the PCI-E x1 slot on my Motherboard which this Soundcard slots into was obscured by my rather large 9800GT Graphics card so it was necessary to remove this Graphics card and re-enable the onboard video device in order to install it.
So before buying, do check that your PC is running Windows Vista or later and also that you have a free PCI-Express x1 slot that is not obscured by a large Graphics card or other hardware. Some motherboards have more space than others though so space between PCI-E slots than others, so this might not be necessarily be a problem but it's definitely best to check your individual Motherboard before purchasing. As a result I have been unable to review this Card, but one thing for sure is that it should be an useful improvement on most onboard audio devices.

ACE 750W BR PSU with 12cm Red Fan and PFC - Black
ACE 750W BR PSU with 12cm Red Fan and PFC - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Best avoided, like most cheap PSUs..., 2 May 2013
I would guess that the reviewers giving this PSU 5 stars are only doing so because it was very cheap, and because their computer hasn't(yet)failed. I can't understand why some people are taking the risk of using it to power processors and videocards that cost far more than this PSU does. If it fails(as seems likely, judging by many of the reviews)then you risk damaging these and possibly other components such as your motherboard too. And you can bet that will cost more than £22 to put right if it happens..

Humax Digital Satellite Set Top Box - Freesat - Foxsat HD

5.0 out of 5 stars A good quality and reasonably priced Freesat receiver..., 8 Oct 2012
Humax Digital Satellite Set Top Box - Freesat - Foxsat HD
I'd read several good reviews online for the Humax Foxsat HD and so I decided on this box as an upgrade to replace an old Ross satellite receiver I'd been using. The Humax was a great improvement in every way and has excellent sound and picture quality, particularly on HD channels such as BBC1 HD. I use it in conjunction with a Sky Minidish and a Zinwell Quad LNB, and with this dish correctly aligned I get a signal strength of 90-100% on most channels including HD ones. It's also quite user-friendly and has a clearly laid out Remote Control and clear, easy to navigate on-screen menus. Connectivity is also good with an HDMI output, RCA jacks for both Composite and Component video and analogue audio outputs, 2 SCART sockets and also an Ethernet socket. The first SCART socket is for connecting to the TV and can be set to output either RGB, Composite or S-Video signals while the 2nd SCART socket is for connecting a VCR or DVD recorder.

Setting up Freesat is quite a simple process but it's vital that your satellite dish is correctly aligned for this to work so that the Freesat postcode checker can detect your location and load the channels onto the receiver. Correct dish alignment is of course also important to achieve good signal strength and reception quality. If you're happy to do this yourself, accurate dish alignment can be done with a signal strength meter such as a Konig. These cost around £10 online, much cheaper than the £50+ cost of calling out an engineer to do it for you. Another important alignment setting is the LNB skew angle, if you're using a Sky Minidish then the LNB will usually have some markings on it from 1-5. This needs to be set to 3 for most areas of the UK. As well as all the usual Freesat channels, additional channels can be viewed by switching the receiver to non-Freesat mode. This gives access to channels that are not part of Freesat such as Sky News, Challenge TV, Controversial TV, Pick TV, Travel Channel, Greatest Hits TV and Showcase 2.

The Foxsat also comes with a standard 1-year warranty, which can be extended to 2 years free of charge by registering online. In conclusion I'd definitely recommend the Foxsat to anyone wanting a good quality and reasonably priced Freesat receiver as an alternative to the ever-increasing cost of a Sky or Cable subscription.

Offered by electrosmart

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me..., 6 Sep 2012
Easy Fit Satellite Signal Amplifier Booster & Patch Lead by electrosmart®

This satellite signal booster did not work very well for me, I found it actually reduced my signal level rather than boosted it. I would stress that I have no issues with the seller though, as it arrived well packaged after only a couple of days. And yes, I did make sure it was installed the right way round..

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Still one of the best thermal pastes.., 29 Dec 2011
Whenever I buy a new Graphics card or CPU cooler I always thoroughly clean off the supplied thermal paste and replace it with some Arctic Silver 5. It always does a better job than stock thermal paste and keeps things a lot cooler. It's also economical to use as you only need to use a small amount, so a single tube should last quite a while.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars A good value Motherboard upgrade.., 27 Dec 2011
I purchased this Motherboard as part of a motherboard processor and RAM bundle, in order to upgrade a Windows XP computer running a single-core Socket 754 CPU. Installation was quite easy, and I had the system up and running with its new Board within an hour or two. I have again reinstalled Windows XP onto this system, and was able to reactivate Windows with no problems at all. The performance is very good for the price, and the machine was noticeably faster on everything from web browsing to gaming. Another thing I like about this Motherboard is that it supports Socket AM2/AM2+/AM3 processors right the way from Dual Core to 6-core, offering plenty of scope for upgrading the CPU in the future. One thing I did not like so much was the fact that there are only 2 RAM slots, but then this is to be expected on a motherboard at this price level. However, the 2 slots do support up to 8GB of DDR2 RAM at speeds of up to 1066Mhz, while there are 4x SATA2 ports for the connection of up to 4 hard drives or optical drives. There's also a couple of Legacy ports in the form of a single IDE port for older hard drives or optical drives, and a Floppy connector too. There's also support for Raid 1,5,10 and JBOD arrays, should you wish. All in all, a good motherboard to buy as a replacement or as an inexpensive upgrade.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is the last HP product I'm buying...., 25 Oct 2010
HP Photosmart C4480 All-in-One A4 Printer
I didn't feel I was asking too much of this printer by wanting something for occasional letter printing and photo scanning. It was easy enough to install initially, although the software on the installation CD is bloated and slow to install. Anyway I installed the software and did a test print, and everything seemed fine initially. It worked OK for the first few months(I rarely used it)
but then I started having no end of problems with it such as letters taking 4 or 5 attempts to print them, too many sheets of blank paper being fed through at once, non-existent paper jams and incorrect ink colours in photos, and cartridge errors.
Now it does not work at all, and so I wondered if I was the only one having such problems with this printer and judging by the reviews here on Amazon and elsewhere on the net it seems I'm not alone.
Clearly I was asking way too much of it, so as a result this will be the last HP product I ever buy. If it was possible to give minus ratings for this printer then I would.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it's supposed to..., 8 Sep 2010
Pioneer DVR-A18LBK 22x Internal DVDRW Black Retail
I bought this drive as a replacement for an early LG DVD/CD writer, it was still going strong after almost 6 years and 2 computers but I thought it was time to update it with a faster, more modern drive. And this Pioneer drive turned out be just that. This is the retail box rather than the OEM package, so it came well packaged with Nero9 Essentials burning software and 4 screws to secure it.
This drive was very easy to install, it just slotted in place of my old drive and was immediately detected and installed by Windows XP when I booted my PC up.
I have 2 DVD/CD drives, this one is set as the Master drive and I must say it performs very well, especially for the price. It reads and burns blank and recorded discs much faster than my old LG drive, and gets 5 stars for me on account of the aforementioned ease of installation, performance and price.
It's also worth mentioning that Amazon had the best price I could find online.
I paid £17.50 including shipping, whereas the best price on Ebay for example was £22.50 including shipping.

Bullguard Gamers Edition (PC)
Bullguard Gamers Edition (PC)
Offered by Accessory-Shop

2.0 out of 5 stars Unnecessary.., 22 Aug 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To be honest I thought this was a bit of a gimmicky product. It is targeted at avid gamers, although in reality it's just a basic firewall and antivirus program.
I found that if anything it slowed my usually fast PC down a bit, and to my mind it was a case of why pay for something that is no better than established free security software such as Zone Alarm firewall and AVG antivirus. My advice would be to avoid this and save yourself the cost, and install the said Zone Alarm and AVG instead. Your system will be as secure, if not more so.

Offered by supasaver

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive, great value Office alternative..., 22 Aug 2010
Ability Office Home Edition is a good value, low-cost alternative to Microsoft
Office(around £28 compared to the £330 cost of Office). For your £28 you get a word processor, a spreadsheet, a photo organiser and image editor, a drawing tool and a presentation program. The whole program can also be installed on up to 2 different computers, as per the software license. After trying Ability Office I can see that it has sufficient features for most users. Add to that full compatibility with MS Office 2003 and 2007 file formats, MS Excel and Adobe Photoshop, and you have a well-featured inexpensive Office alternative.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7