Profile for Galatic traveller > Reviews

Raven Black (Shetland)
Raven Black (Shetland)
by Ann Cleeves

5.0 out of 5 stars Raven GOOD, 7 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Raven Black (Shetland) (Paperback)
This was my introduction to the work of Ann Cleeves and it was great. An excellent crime/mystery which had me guessing all the way to the end, and I didn't once guess correctly. Mr Perez is a likeable character and the setting is remote, rustic and romantic. I will be reading more in this series.

To Do or Die (Eddie Dawson Novels)
To Do or Die (Eddie Dawson Novels)
by Max Adams

3.0 out of 5 stars To read or not to read, 7 Feb. 2013
This yarn started off well, setting the scene and introducing the characters. I particularly enjoyed the dialogue between Dawson and Sykes. Unfortunately once our two plucky Tommies were abandoned in the forest being chased by the dastardly hun the narrative became 'Commando action comic'. There was too much over explanation of technical details, and in the same way the dialogue between Dawson and Sykes became a bit cringey. I felt they were holding conversations as an aside in order to explain to the reader what had happened and what was going to happen next, because I would be too dim to have worked it out for myself. This was essentially an adventure/chase story which I feel could have been so much better if it had been written in a adult style. Having said that, I know during my school years I would have lapped this story up.

The Blackhouse: Book One of the Lewis Trilogy
The Blackhouse: Book One of the Lewis Trilogy
by Peter May

5.0 out of 5 stars must visit this island, 12 Oct. 2012
Not the usual genre I read, but this was recommended by my wife; whats so remarkable about that I hear you say. Well my wife hasn't picked up a book since the day she left school so that in itself is notable. The fact she read it and liked it is strong recommendation; but the ultimate recommendation is that she recommended it. This story is set on a beautiful island, I know this because the author described it in 'HD'. The characters were interesting, the way of life was interesting and there was plenty of intrigue, scandal and surprises. I will be reading the other two novels in the trilogy, and incidently, so will my wife.

Phoenix Squadron: HMS Ark Royal, Britain's last Topguns and the untold story of their most dramatic mission
by Rowland White

4.0 out of 5 stars No action, yet full of action, 4 Sept. 2012
In a nutshell, this is essentially a collection of fond memories associated with HMS Ark Royal, and her involvement in a small political event on a far flung colony, which develops into nothing more than posturing. A recipe you may think for a boring read, but I found it to be compelling and absorbing. I think perhaps the way this has been written provides a clue as to why it is so good. For me this book shone a light on that brilliant 'can do' philosophy that is at the core of HM armed forces; even when faced with impossible odds both the Ark Royal, her pilots and the small detachment of guardsman stationed on the far flung colony just get on with it and show improvisation and resourcefulness. I fear these fine qualities have been somewhat lost in todays politically correct, health and safety smothered, 'not my responsibility', business Britain. So read this fine account and be inspired.

Greenmantle (Wordsworth Classics)
Greenmantle (Wordsworth Classics)
by John Buchan

4.0 out of 5 stars A rollicking retro thriller, 17 Jan. 2012
This is a ripping yarn from an era long gone. The language is dated, the heroes are dashing and brave, and the villains are menacing. All of this adds up to a romping read without the need for graphic details of conflict. I would recommend this to those who like good old fashioned and pacy espionage/adventure stories.

Darkest Hour: A Jack Tanner Adventure (Jack Tanner 2)
Darkest Hour: A Jack Tanner Adventure (Jack Tanner 2)
by James Holland

3.0 out of 5 stars Boys own adventure, 11 Jan. 2012
If your looking for a challenging read with complex characters and complicated plots, then the Tanner series is probably not for you. That said if your looking for a light read which is fun and can help you get through manflu, then this book is terrific. I found this instalment an improvement on the Odin Mission; this time I could feel the surroundings instead of feeling detached. The action scenes, banter between the characters and the evil CSM were entertaining. Yes its a little predictable and formulaic, but that said its still good fun.

The Truth Is... [Special Edition]
The Truth Is... [Special Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars Like this, 26 Dec. 2011
Got this for xmas and it is brilliant. A good mixture of sounds and comedy to. Dont get the comparison thing with Nickelback, I think Tyler's voice is much better, Chad sounds like he is straining with his bowels most of the time. TOADM are great.