Profile for William > Reviews

William

Page: 1 | 2
The Secret Garden
The Secret Garden

4.0 out of 5 stars A Children's story from way back suitable for almost everone oday, 18 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Secret Garden (Kindle Edition)
This is a children's story and I am a man in my eighties but I read this innocent story and felt pleased with the World, so unlike my normal reaction to events today. Children will like it - - - and I believe many adults will too. It is inexpensive as well.

Bombsites and Lollipops - My 1950s East End Childhood: My 1950s East End Childhood

3.0 out of 5 stars East end of London story, 11 Dec. 2012
Some of the happenings with Jewish families rather surprised me but it was probably a 'true story' embellished to make it more acceptable as a 'fictional 'real-life' story'. I didn't feel it 'came over' as being written by a Jewish girl. but I read it so it couldn't have been too bad.

Trouble at the Little Village School: A Little Village School Novel
Trouble at the Little Village School: A Little Village School Novel
by Gervase Phinn

4.0 out of 5 stars Gervais Phinn, 11 Dec. 2012
I just enjoy reading about young children at school, particularly in part of the country that I am not too familiar with. There is a tendency because he is a Yorkshireman, for him to overdo the sentiment and perhaps he exaggerates anything attached to living in Yorkshire but I still enjoyed it.

You Had Me At Hello
You Had Me At Hello

2.0 out of 5 stars Kindle choice- You had me at Hello, 11 Dec. 2012
I did not enjoy the manner of the writing and so didn't get past the first chapter so perhaps I shouldn't
be too critical.

Gladys Aylward: The Little Woman
Gladys Aylward: The Little Woman

3.0 out of 5 stars Gladys Aylwards life, 11 Dec. 2012
I enjoyed reading of Gladys Aylward's plight in China and surprised that the Communists at the end of the WW2 who took over appeared to be far more brutal than the Japanese from whom she and her children were escaping. However, her early life in Edmonton doesn't ring quite true. She left school during WW1 and could only get a job as a 'house-maid' - factories were calling out for labour t that time and house-maids were not likely I think in that part of London, but that is my interpretation

Out of the Woods But Not Over the Hill
Out of the Woods But Not Over the Hill
by Gervase Phinn

4.0 out of 5 stars History of a teacher in the fifties, 4 Dec. 2012
I recommend this book to take you back to your school-days if you went school that long ago. It also comments on some of the present school practices which perhaps should be understood even disagreed with.

Wool Overs Men's Lambswool Crew Neck Jumper Navy Medium
Wool Overs Men's Lambswool Crew Neck Jumper Navy Medium
Offered by Wool Overs Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars A good woollen sweater lioke the old days, 4 Dec. 2012
A good pullover, and does the job of keeping me warm and I will buy another in a different colour before very long.

Dereve Wind Up Doorbell Imperial 5858/B Brass Dome
Dereve Wind Up Doorbell Imperial 5858/B Brass Dome
Offered by Handy Stores London Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Wind-up doorbell, 4 Dec. 2012
It does exactly what it says it would do. It saves all the problems of finding why the eletric bell doesn't work

French Connection Green Class Straight Men's Jeans 54DK8 Antique W34INxL30IN
French Connection Green Class Straight Men's Jeans 54DK8 Antique W34INxL30IN

3.0 out of 5 stars French Connection Jeans, 4 Dec. 2012
Nothing wrong with the trousers except they have metal buttons fixed tightly to the trousers so are difficult to 'button up' and 'unbutton' I wouldn't buy them again

Stovax Black Grate Woodburner Graphite Fire Polish Zebo
Stovax Black Grate Woodburner Graphite Fire Polish Zebo
Offered by A2Zquality

3.0 out of 5 stars Stovax Polish, 4 Dec. 2012
I think it was expensive, it was in a very liquid form so was difficult to apply without it going everwhere but I accept the polish did effectively polish the stove.

Page: 1 | 2