Profile for C. Harris > Reviews

Content by C. Harris

C. Harris (Birmingham, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Satellite Dish H30D2 Flat Antenna & Twin LNB
Satellite Dish H30D2 Flat Antenna & Twin LNB

4.0 out of 5 stars Good alternative to a dish, 14 July 2014
It's a bit more difficult to aim than a dish, but I got there in the end. (I tried one of those 'bleeper' finders, and found it useless). I bought it because conventional dishes are not allowed where I live, but it is more conspicuous than I expected. The pictures don't show that you have to set the polarisation angle as well as azimuth and elevation. Result: a white, shiny, wonky object bolted to the side of my listed house.
The instructions say that it should not be painted, but I took a chance and sprayed it matt terracotta to match the brickwork. It doesn't seem to have affected the signal level, except possibly in rain, which clings to the matt surface. The antenna still looks odd, but it's not so conspicuous, and no one knows what it is.
If you can't have a dish, and can find a suitable place to put it, this is a good alternative.

SF-95DR Digital Satellite Signal Finder Meter with Compass, Buzzer LCD FTA Dish
SF-95DR Digital Satellite Signal Finder Meter with Compass, Buzzer LCD FTA Dish
Offered by BV-electronics

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely Useless, 14 July 2014
It bleeps, but it can't tell one satellite from another. Result: I got tuned to a German satellite. I thought of giving up and learning German, but had a better idea. I used my receiver's setup screen to show signal strength and quality, and successfully found the correct satellite.
No need for this gadget!

Samsung UE28F4000AWXXU 28-inch HD Ready Widescreen Slim LED TV with Freeview (2013 model)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good TV, 8 May 2014
It works as expected. Picture good, sound OK (but I'm sending it through an AVR, so it doesn't matter), remote control a bit flimsy compared to earlier Samsung models. It's not smart, either, but the price reflects all this.
I am using it in France, where it picks up all the local HD channels, with Dolby sound, etc., despite not being advertised as having an HD tuner (the UK uses a different standard).
Overall, a good TV for the price.

Fit Over-Glasses Medio Photochromic Sunglasses Black/Clear2Smoke Medium
Fit Over-Glasses Medio Photochromic Sunglasses Black/Clear2Smoke Medium
Offered by i*sunglasses

4.0 out of 5 stars My 2nd pair, 5 May 2014
I use them for cycling. They fit well over prescription glasses, and give good protection against cold winds, and flying insects, as well as the sun.
My first pair was smashed to bits in a cycling accident in which I hit the ground face-first. Given the state my face was in, I would not have expected the sunglasses to survive! I liked them enough to buy the same again.

The Peacock Cloak
The Peacock Cloak

4.0 out of 5 stars SF at its best, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Peacock Cloak (Kindle Edition)
An excellent collection of short stories from the author of Dark Eden. The style and story-telling technique are rather old-fashioned (I mean that in a good way). I was reminded of John Wyndham (also in a good way). But Chris Becket is obviously familiar with the stranger corners of modern SF, and this shows in the ideas behind the stories. All are thoughtful and thought provoking.

Heathen
Heathen
Offered by Dirty Deals UK

4.0 out of 5 stars An overlooked classic, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: Heathen (Audio CD)
I missed this when it came out, during a period when Bowie was being ignored by the critics, and seemingly could no nothing right. After the Next Day, he can do nothing wrong again. The Next Day is good, but Heathen is better, in my view, the best thing he's done since the early 80's.

Transcend 1TB 2.5 inch USB 3.0 Military-Grade Shock Resistance Portable External Hard Drive

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use., 11 Nov 2013
I just plugged it in, and there it was. Files quickly transferred between this drive and various computers. It comes with some backup software, but there's no need to use it. I can't vouch for the 'military-grade shock resistance', and don't intend to test it to destruction.

John Adams: Nixon in China [Blu-ray] [2011] [DVD] [2013]
John Adams: Nixon in China [Blu-ray] [2011] [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ James Maddalena

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 11 Nov 2013
A very good staging of a very good modern opera. I saw this version on stage, and this recording fully does it justice.

Primeval Series 5 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Primeval Series 5 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Ciarán McMenamin

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother with Blu-Ray, 11 Nov 2013
If you liked the TV series then you will enjoy this. But don't waste your money on the blu-ray. The video is not fully HD and the sound is only stereo. Save your money and buy it on DVD.

TURNTABLE DRIVE BELT - FOR THE TECHNICS SL-221 SL-230 SL-230A SL-230M SL-230MC
TURNTABLE DRIVE BELT - FOR THE TECHNICS SL-221 SL-230 SL-230A SL-230M SL-230MC
Offered by Microphonics

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, 11 Nov 2013
It is basically an expensive rubber band, but if your turntable no longer turns, then this is what you need.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3