Profile for Clive > Reviews

Stackridge - The Forbidden City [2007] [DVD]
Stackridge - The Forbidden City [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stackridge
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars once you add in Mutter Slater you end up with one of the greatest bands of all time, 26 Mar. 2015
As if the talent of James Warren and Andy Davis wasn't enough, once you add in Mutter Slater you end up with one of the greatest bands of all time. Sadly for them, they never achieved the recognition they deserved. But good for the fans as they have continued to record and to perform in small venues on and off since the seventies for those in the know.
This DVD captures them at their very best and I feel honoured and humbled to have seen musicians of this magnitude during the tour of 2007.
An absolute master class in song composition and performance.

Optoma Universal Projector Flush Ceiling Mount - White
Optoma Universal Projector Flush Ceiling Mount - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good once you work it out, 10 Dec. 2014
It was difficult to choose a projector mount on here as reviews are varied. In the end I went for this Optoma as, surely it must fit my projector which is of the same make!
This truly is a universal mount and comes with a range of fitting screws on a belt and clear instructions to fit various machines. None of which are any good for the Optoma projector. So put all that to one side and open the small bag which contains the thinner screws suitable for your machine. A choice of 2 lengths are provided and the secret code is that the short arms, also in the bag are the ones required. Remove the long arms that are attached to the mount when out of the box. I found it easier to attach the small arms to the projector and then work out which slots on the mount they line up with. Don't forget to figure out which way your ceiling joists run. Across the projector or from front to back as no rotation adjustment is possible once fitted. Once you have sorted all that out its a very nice piece of hardware. A quick release mechanism would be good but I don't think that is available on any projector mount as far as I could work out.

Earth 2 - The Complete Series [DVD]
Earth 2 - The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Debrah Farentino

4.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a lost gem, 27 July 2014
I have enjoyed watching this series again on DVD. I originally saw it when it was first broadcast on TV in the 90's. Its already a little dated with its lack of flat screen displays and old fashioned flash lights (no LED's back then in the future)!
The plots can be a bit flaky in parts. They wear "gear" when it suits the story line and are not wearing it when that fits in with the story. One of the good points though is that characters come and go. For example there is a bad guy in the first few episodes who is soon despatched. These days that actor would be signed for the whole series and keep coming back......and back.....to the point of ad nauseam. Definitely worth watching though if you are a Sci-fi fan.

Farscape: The Complete Seasons 1-4 [DVD]
Farscape: The Complete Seasons 1-4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Browder
Offered by The Canny Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Stands up well., 14 Feb. 2014
I really enjoyed the beginning of this series when it was first broadcast in the UK. Something happened at some point, I either moved or they changed the time but I remember that all of a sudden I didn't get back from work in time and kept forgetting to set the video! In the end I gave up on it.
I'm now at the end of season two of this box set and must say its great. The aliens and bits of plastic pipe have stood the test of time well and still look good even in this era of modern CGI.
The stories have all been good so far except one which is more than I can say for a lot of box sets.
Really recommend this!

Audio-XLN Addictive Blue
Audio-XLN Addictive Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic software, 13 Dec. 2013
I understand that business is business and XLN Audio need to get their product into the market place anyway they can. Also that stores sell to customers who walk through the door and also online these days. I was, however, a bit shocked, after waiting in all day, at receiving a box of fresh air! This is a DOWNLOAD product with no CD - Rom as advertised on here. I could just as easily have gone to the XLN webpage and bought it from them at a more convenient time. It DOES state clearly on the empty box that it is a download but of course, that box, was in the shop when I purchased it and I am not. In addition, nowhere does it state the size of the download which is around 1.3GB. This took me over my download limit this month, but having paid for my exciting next day delivery of nothing I wasn't about to hang on 'til the weekend and a new download period.
All this aside. I cannot fault the product. It set up easily. It is intuitive and easy to use and has a good range of sounds that can be customised as desired. Easily configured to my edrums and away you go. Fantastic software. Easily worth 5 stars but you are losing one for disappointing me with delivery. Which I soon got over, but come on XLN!!

Movie Edit Pro MX PLUS (PC)
Movie Edit Pro MX PLUS (PC)

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating!, 1 July 2013
This is one of the most un-intuitive pieces of software I have ever used!
I bought it to edit some music and video from my band as windows movie maker is not accurate enough to line up an external soundtrack. I ended up doing the editing in MM and then importing the file into Magix. Despite have been through the manual at great length I still can't remember the drawn out process of how to trim something whereas MM has no manual, you just do it.
Now trying to use multi-cam feature which has fallen over on a number of occasions. Its latest thing is, when switching back to object1 (camera1) it deletes the remainder of the soundtrack. I would sum this product up thus,
Simply features are too complicated to use and complex features don't work very well!! A good software program should enable the user to do the basics without even looking at the manual. Still, its cheap I guess

Tascam US 122 MK II USB Audio-Interface
Tascam US 122 MK II USB Audio-Interface

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product., 24 Jun. 2013
This product is meeting all my expectations as a USB interface. The 122-mk11 has no drivers for Windows 8 so I was a bit worried about how it would work especially as other people were reporting problems.
Despite Tascam ignoring my enquiry about the lack of drivers I managed to find a forum where someone explains in detail how to use this item with Windows 8. Plus don't forget to update the firmware by downloading the patch from the Tascam website.
Then it all seems to work well.

Wish You Were Here -Hq-
Wish You Were Here -Hq-
Offered by Puretone Audio UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic music, Fantastic sound, 2 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Wish You Were Here -Hq- (Audio CD)
I've got to say a big thank you to Amazon for making this disc available in the UK. Pressed under licence in the USA and mainland Europe it is of course, not available in rip off Britain. You have to buy the box set at over twice the price, the pitfalls of which have already been well documented in the reviews of that product.
I've been waitng all my life for this disc! Having tried to achieve the best sound I could afford during the 70's from vinyl I was excited to attend the launch of cd back in about 1981 I beleive in a studio in London. Thinking how good WYWH would one day sound I was later very dissapointed to be served up second rate product from the record companies for the next 20 odd years.
This disc however brings the music to a new level. I can't really add anything more to what the first reviewer has said except to say its fantastic. I wonder if I will live long enough to hear "The Wall" in 5.1 Perhaps another 20 years!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2012 11:14 PM BST

Live 1973 - 2007 (Audio CDs and NTSC format DVD)
Live 1973 - 2007 (Audio CDs and NTSC format DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Genesis at their best, 22 Nov. 2009
It is unfortunate that the management/record company have abandened the SACD format used in the previous Genesis box sets. Even more unfortunate that two of the albums are not even available in DTS 5.1. The fans did however, achieve some success by getting "Live over Europe" removed and replaced by an empty slot. Most people had already purchased this last year and if you dont have it well,there's still room for this to be added in seperately.
On the positive side, they have done the business with "seconds out". Considered by many to be the definative live album. This, and the inclusion of a previously unrealeased live show from the Gabriel era recorded at the Rainbow are worth the purchase price alone.
Genesis are at their very best when playing live and this represents a superb collection and a must have for any fan.
If you play or like drums this also offers a master class and a life time of study in rock drumming from Phil Collins with help from Chester Thompson and Bill Bruford.