Profile for Dell Hell > Reviews

Combi Plus 6.3D 2.6x 100x50mm Magnifier
Combi Plus 6.3D 2.6x 100x50mm Magnifier
Offered by Associated Optical Products

1.0 out of 5 stars Good product - poor vendor description, 5 May 2015
Eschenbach make quality products and this is no exception. However, according to the Amazon vendor description, it has "adaptable lights". It does not however have any illumination and is not what I wanted. I have subsequently found that Eschenbach make illuminated magnifiers with a stand (but without a handle) and this is more suited to my needs. I picked one up on eBay from a German vendor.

Huawei E5331 High Speed 3G 21.1Mbps Mi-Fi Unlocked Modem
Huawei E5331 High Speed 3G 21.1Mbps Mi-Fi Unlocked Modem

4.0 out of 5 stars Setting up the Huawei E5331 Mobile Wifi with an iPad, 29 Aug. 2013
PROS:
The internet speed is good.
Wifi range of the unit is good.
It is very compact.
As it allows several devices to be connected at the same time, you avoid the cost of having multiple SIM cards for multiple devices.

CONS:
Back cover not easy to remove making frequent SIM card changes difficult.
Instructions are inadequate.
Battery life could be longer but at expense of compactness.

This unit proved a bit of a life saver recently when on a family vacation in northern Italy in a place where there was no internet connection. I purchased a pre-paid SIM card with an internet data allowance from the service provider Three (tre.it in Italy) in Milan on our way there. I had to activate the sim card and configure the unit manually and the enclosed instructions are poor on this aspect. Fortunately, I had wifi internet access in our hotel in Milan to get some external guidance on my iPad. There may be more elegant solutions than this particularly if your sim card is pre-activated but here is what I found and had to do to get it to work on an iPad.

What you get in the box:

Mobile Wifi Unit
USB Cable
Battery
Instruction leaflet

What else you will need:

USB charger, USB travel adaptor or a computer with USB power to charge the battery.
Standard SIM card with Pin Code.
The SSID of the unit - this is labelled inside when you take off the back cover.
The wireless key - this is also labelled inside.

What else you may need if your SIM card does not auto activate:

The APN of your service provider - tre.it in my case.
The user name of your service provider - "guest" in my case for tre.it.
The password of your service provider - again "guest" in my case for tre.it.

See this link for a list of APN user names and passwords:

[...]

To set up the Huawei E5331 Mobile Wifi with an iPad:

Prise off the back cover. This can be difficult with your bare hands and may break your nails. There is a slot on the edge of the side that is furthest from the power button. I used an old credit card to lever into this slot to get the cover off without damage. Leave the cover off until you are fully up and running.

Make a note of the wireless key labelled inside.

Insert the SIM card - it can only go one way.

Insert the battery - again, there is only one way and it's easy to do.

Power on the unit.

If the battery indicator is red, you need to charge it using the USB cable and a USB charging device.

The Wifi indicator should show green.

The internet signal indicator may show green (activated), orange (weak) or red (not available or activated). Mine showed red.

To configure the unit using an iPad.

Go to the Settings App on the iPad, set the Wifi to the SSID of the unit (Mobile Wifi-8546) in my case.

Enter the wireless key.

Check if you have access to the internet. I did not in my case and the internet indicator was red.

If you have no internet access, go to the browser (Safari on the iPad), enter[...] (the Huawei Web Management Page) in the address bar and hit Go.

You will be asked for a user name. This is "admin". (The instructions do not tell you this).

You will also be asked for a password. This is also "admin". (The instructions do tell you this).

In my case I was prompted to enter the Pin Code for the SIM card. After I did this the internet signal on the unit turned green but I still had no internet access.

The Huawei Web Management Page reported a problem with my service provider profile.

If you get a similar message, go back to the Huawei Web Management Page which is

[...]

Again the username is "admin"
The password is "admin"
Select the option DIAL UP. Then the option PROFILE MANAGEMENT.
Create a new profile called what ever name you will recognise your service provider as and enter your service provider APN, User Name and Password as listed in the link above or from another source. In my case I named the new profile tre.it, the APN was tre.it and the User Name and Password were both "guest",
Then select the new profile from the profile name drop down list to set it as the default profile for the unit.
Restart the device by selecting SETTINGS, SYSTEM and REBOOT.

The reboot takes several minutes during which the unit powered down and the iPad wifi connection to the unit was lost and it defaulted to the hotel wifi. I had to re-connect the iPad wifi to the unit and after several more minutes, internet connection was finally established.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2014 11:19 PM BST

Samsung RSH1NHSW American Style Fridge Freezer in White
Samsung RSH1NHSW American Style Fridge Freezer in White

1.0 out of 5 stars Samsung - appalling products & service, 18 April 2013
We had the dreaded noisy fan, temperature too warm, ice build-up problem on the fridge section of a Samsung American style side by side fridge/freezer. It is a RSH1NHSW model purchased in Ireland in September 2009 costing 700 euro. Although I was aware of and had previous experience of poor performance of Samsung equipment, we purchased this unit because the dimensions fitted (just) the available space, the colour (white) matched our other kitchen equipment and lack of an ice dispenser was also what we wanted. Had there been another make with this specification, we would have purchased this instead.

Eighteen months later and we loose the food contents of the fridge due to a warm temperature and ice build-up. So we execute a full manual defrost and all is good for a few months and then the noisy fan and we loose the food contents again. So then we get into a routine of planned manual defrosts every quarter but by late 2012 even this does not restore the cooling performance. It was time to do some research and it became apparent very quickly that this is a design issue with multiple models of Samsung fridges that has gone on for many years, so much so that there are various third parties offering DIY repair kits. There have been lawsuits and massive product recalls with some units allegedly exploding.

The Samsung website which is endlessly patronising was no help to me because it insisted that I submit the serial number of the unit. The serial number is not on any of the enclosed documentation and can only be found apparently on the lower left hand side of the unit. In my case, I could only access this be de-constructing some of the built-in section of the kitchen and I was going to incur additional cost to do this and make it good afterwards.

So I called Samsung. This was fun (not). It took three attempts and many hours to get to talk to someone. They tried every trick in the book to avoid one to one contact - well you would I suppose if you have sold hundreds of thousands of faulty units to now irate customers around the globe. Well again, the serial number was asked for and I explained my difficulty in getting it as above but I also explained that I had documented proof of purchase. This cut no ice (pardon the pun) with them and I was basically told - no serial number, get lost. I asked what was the probability that they would give me a direct replacement so I could assess if it was worth kitchen de-construction to get the stupid serial number, again I was dismissed with no answer.

I reconsidered my options. Getting a new unit from another maker would cost me 1000 euro or so when I add in the required kitchen modifications. Appliance DIY Repairs in the UK [...] offer a whole range of Samsung repair kits and for my model the cost is £133. Delivery is free in the UK but is extra to Ireland so this is expensive but for me it was potentially my least worst option. I am pretty technical so fitting the repair kit was not going to be an issue. The really neat thing for me was that the repair kit could all be fitted within the fridge compartment without the need to access the back or sides so I did not have to move the unit and incur additional kitchen modification costs.

I found Andy at Appliance DIY Repairs extremely responsive and very helpful and dealing with him in contrast to Samsung was chalk and cheese. The repair kit includes an apparently improved evaporator cover with fan, evaporator heater with thermal fuse and a defrost sensor which (and this is critical) you install in a different location to the original. It comes with an excellent set of installation instructions. Anyone that is reasonably handy should be able to fit this kit but you need to set a full day aside for it. It can take quite a long time to get rid of the ice build up. I used two hair dryers blowing close to the evaporator cover (but not touching it as this will melt the plastic) to get the cover free and I had to pour boiling water on the drain hole at the bottom of the evaporator for hours to get this clear of ice. The unit has been working fine since repair but I cannot vouch for the long-term effectiveness of the repair kit until more time passes. Given that the repair kit is also made up of Samsung components, I have no confidence that it is a permanent fix.

I estimate this Samsung mess has cost us in the region of 400 euro so far when I include the two batches of food wasted. In fact we have never had a good Samsung product. Our first Samsung product was a CII-5361AT/MIC television bought in November 1996. From day one had a faulty circuit board and the TV had to be hit slap here and there every other day to get a picture. The current crop of Samsung TV's also seem to have loads of issues even on their high end units. Just Google Samsung TV clouding and banding to get an idea.

We managed to avoid Samsung products for a decade until our second Samsung product which was a DVD-VR320 VHS/DVD recorder bought specifically to archive VHS tapes to DVD in April 2006 as it was the only one available locally. The VHS deck was terrible and it made awful grainy DVD's from the VHS tapes. The vendor (Currys) allowed to me trial their display unit but it was no better. Then I read the professional reviews and found that they had the same issue - the terrible VHS deck was not just a fault on mine but a "design feature" of all of them. It was utterly useless and sits gathering dust in the attic. We imported a Panasonic DMR EX95 VHS/DVD/HDD recorder to do the job. It is a class box and I now use it as a PVR for recording TV programmes from a set top box and archiving them to DVD.

So our third Samsung product, the poorly designed and very unreliable RSH1NHSW American style fridge/freezer will be our last.

WE WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER SAMSUNG PRODUCT EVER AGAIN.

We are careful users and tend to operate stuff by the book. Thankfully over the years other appliances we have owned (brands like Bosch, Electrolux, Zanussi, LG, Belling, Mitsubishi, Philips, Panasonic, Sharp, Sony, Apple & Dell) have given us good service and value for money, only Samsung has not. What is amazing is how Samsung gets away with this. It seems to achieve it by being highly innovative in avoiding after-sales service and in avoiding it's customers. It's a shame it does not deploy the same level of innovation in the design and build of the products.

Buyer beware.

KAVAJ leather case "Berlin" for the Apple iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2 (Retina Display) and iPad mini cognac brown - genuine leather with stand-up feature. Thin Smart Cover as premium accessory for the original Apple iPad
Offered by KAVAJ

4.0 out of 5 stars Sleek & professional, 15 Dec. 2012
This case is very slim so it gives protection to the iPad mini without adding bulk or weight. Looks simple yet classy and looks great on the white iPad mini with the wallpaper set at one of the default options (the golden brown autumn leaves). KAVAJ make a similar case that has a side holder for a stylus and card wallet. Having seen both, this one is the more elegant.

Garmin Maps of Full North America on Micro SD Card
Garmin Maps of Full North America on Micro SD Card
Offered by SuStuu

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value Product, 29 Jun. 2011
Got this for a fraction of the cost Garmin charge and without any of the computer interfacing hassle I was having with the very user-unfriendly Garmin download/update site. Just pop it in the SD card slot of the device, switch on and it is ready go. On my Nuvi 660, it works alongside any internally stored maps in the device but does not interfere with them. Seems pretty up to date too - reports in the Map Info section of the device menu that it is 2012 version. Fast delivery from seller. Overall, very pleased.