Profile for Nigel Leech > Reviews

Young Bones
Young Bones
Price: 3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great EP. Even better live, 23 April 2014
This review is from: Young Bones (MP3 Download)
I love Josh's latest EP. He and the band continue to progress. Not sure how to classify their music, but he draws on many influences. This collection is worth every penny, but if you get the chance to see him live then grab it - live he's even better.

Tveitt: A Hundred Hardanger Tunes: Suites 2 & 5
Tveitt: A Hundred Hardanger Tunes: Suites 2 & 5
Price: 6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Undervalued gems, 29 Mar 2014
Here are thirty of Tveitt's delightful, varied, and evocative orchestral snippets based on flok tunes from the Hardanger region. Most are 1-3 mins long, and this type of music is not for everyone. I think only Naxos have recorded and published the full set of tunes, and to my ear they have done a good job.
Buy the CD version for the booklet - it's great to have the Norwegian titles translated - and anyway, at the time of writing the CD is cheaper than the download.

Le Voyage Magnifique - Schubert:   Impromptus D 899 & D 935; Allegretto, D 915; Klavierstucke, D 946
Le Voyage Magnifique - Schubert: Impromptus D 899 & D 935; Allegretto, D 915; Klavierstucke, D 946
Price: 21.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary beauty, 26 Mar 2014
I bought this when it was first issued, and here I am still enjoying it, on my iPad. This is very good music - not up to Beethoven's best, obviously, but then it is Schubert - very good music made great by Maria's sensitive and insightful playing. She draws you in and enables you to love this music the way she is so vividly enjoying it herself. The recording and sound quality are excellent. After quarter of a century I still value this double CD album deeply.
Go on, treat yourself. If you like solo piano music you'll love this.

SEEKING WISDOM ON A TEN MINUTE TEA BREAK
SEEKING WISDOM ON A TEN MINUTE TEA BREAK
Price: 2.32

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs the help of a competent editor, 9 Jan 2014
Sorry Clive, I could tell what you were trying to achieve, but for me it simply didn't work. At the very least you need feedback from someone who will be honest with you. On the other hand, don't give up writing.

Samsung Interface USB 2.0/3.0 Slim Retail External DVD Writer - Glossy Blue
Samsung Interface USB 2.0/3.0 Slim Retail External DVD Writer - Glossy Blue
Price: 18.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Performs as expected, 9 Jan 2014
I wanted a USB dvd drive to use with my notebook now the built in drive has become faulty. This one does the job just fine. Sometimes I wish the USB lead provided were a bit longer, but if that was a serious problem it would be easy enough to get an extension.

The Highgrove Suite
The Highgrove Suite
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting and pleasurable collection, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Highgrove Suite (Audio CD)
I bought this after listening to some of the samples and was not disappointed. This music isn't for everyone, but of its type it is good enough to be worth buying. I need to listen many more times before saying more - and I plan to keep listening.

Lesson Plan
Lesson Plan
Price: 3.36

1.0 out of 5 stars A total con, 14 July 2012
This review is from: Lesson Plan (Kindle Edition)
I bought this by mistake, intending to get the actually useful 'How to write a lesson plan' by John Thompson for a friend about to be interviewed for a place at teacher training.
This 'book' is just a one page grid with columns labelled Monday - Friday, and rows labelled by the hour from 7.00 to 18.00
Given I don't think you can print from a Kindle book except by using screen dumps, this book is as near useless as you can get. It would also be of no help whatsoever in creating a series of lesson plans.
3.36 ? If I ever meet this person I'll be demanding more than that for the total waste of my time.
Hey, Amazon, do you do no quality control at all on Kindle books?

Rough Cut
Rough Cut
by Owen Carey Jones
Price: 6.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Rough Cut the novel, 4 May 2012
This review is from: Rough Cut (Paperback)
I enjoyed this first novel, and my wife loved it. We'll be watching out for the next one from Owen Carey Jones.
Yes it's a thriller, but fairly gentle with plenty of human interest. We particularly valued the wide range of likeable characters, and the key locations in Yorkshire (UK) and the south of France. This is the novel of a screenplay, and the style hasn't been adapted enough to the changed medium for my taste, but then again I seem to be unusually sensitive to that sort of thing. Is it worth buying and reading? Yes! Is it Lee Child or John Grisham? No, but that doesn't matter. Go on, treat yourself to a copy.

The Fall
The Fall
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a road trip, and that's great, 25 April 2011
This review is from: The Fall (MP3 Download)
Hey, stop treating this as a traditional 'album'. It's not just a collection of individual tracks put in some order, it's a road trip. You know road movies? You don't pull out individual scenes (though there may be good ones that stand alone). You relax and sink in to the whole journey. Do that with this album. Relax, listen, switch off criticism for a while, and just soak in the sounds of a journey. It's great! Not the best album ever laid down, but worth listening to many times.

Laughing Hyena Free Sampler
Laughing Hyena Free Sampler

1.0 out of 5 stars Free ? Or guilty of misleading advertising?, 23 April 2011
"Laughing Hyena Free Sampler" is what it says, but Amazon are charging over 6. Is that legal? It's certainly stupid, because I refuse to pay for a sampler. What are you Amazon guys up to? You want us to sample the music and then prob buy some, or not?

Page: 1 | 2