Profile for Alice > Reviews

Vax C89-MA-P Air Pet Multicyclonic Bagless Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner
Vax C89-MA-P Air Pet Multicyclonic Bagless Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner
Price: 109.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant if...., 28 July 2013
Are your carpets too clean? Then this product is perfect for you, as the "turbo floor brush" will clog up after one use and will then start to spit out dust - an ingenious feature!

Are you a busy working parent with too much time on your hands? Well super - the turbo floor tool is impossible to clean without either a) totally dismantling it, including the screws, or b) using scissors and tweezers to pick out the hair and dust bit by bit! Inspired! Better still, the Vax helpline will keep you on hold for a healthy amount of time before answering, and they will then refuse to replace the tool with a different one that works, insisting that you pay them for that.

Do you have too much money and want to get rid of some? Me too. That's why I bought an expensive product that is basically useless and now have to replace it with something else because everyone in the house refuses to use it.

Do you have too much storage space? Yes - a problem that plagues us all. This machine is designed to take us as much as possible. The head is held to the base with a flimsy plastic clip that will break - but even when it's working, the vast loop of cord makes it impossible to stash in any cupboard.

In all seriousness, the suction on it is good and on the first use, it will pick up an astonishing amount of dust and hair even from carpets you thought were clean. But that's all. The design is abysmal and I really don't recommend.

Ballymaloe Cookery Course
Ballymaloe Cookery Course
by Darina Allen
Price: 20.40

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book, but..., 21 July 2013
It's a lovely book. Beautiful pictures, incredibly comprehensive and informative on both basic and more advanced culinary points, with lots of original recipes.

The only thing I would say, if you're buying it as a present, is that this is not aimed at, say, your average working parent living in a city or town. I fit into this category and though I love the book as a bedside table read, I don't use it anywhere near as much as my books by Nigella. I can't mince my beef on the day the animal's slaughtered; I can't collect fresh eggs from my free-range hens every morning; I don't have time to squeeze fresh orange juice for everyone before breakfast; and I can't collect fresh, slightly under-ripe fruit from my orchard for jam-making.

It's a very proper, old-school cookery book. There's no emphasis on time, money or labour-saving - in fact, quite the opposite. This isn't a criticism - just a point for people considering buying it, either for themselves or friends.

Luminarc 0.5 Litre Jam Jars Plus Lid with Red Top, Pack of 6
Luminarc 0.5 Litre Jam Jars Plus Lid with Red Top, Pack of 6
Price: 7.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Not jam jars, 20 July 2013
These will be fine is you just want to store ready made jam or whatever else, but if you actually want to use them to make jam or chutney, they won't be suitable because they have cheap, tupperware style plastic lids.

Skyfall (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy)
Skyfall (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy)
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Marmite film, 1 Mar 2013
You'll either love it or hate it. Personally, I loved it. It's not classic Bond - tons of silly gadgets, etc - but more like Christopher Nolan's 'The Dark Knight' in format. Javier Bardem is very talented and a fanastic villain. However, if you like Bond for the daft gadgets and semi-naked sexy girls, you'll be very disappointed, so don't buy.

Don't Run, Whatever You Do: My Adventures as a Safari Guide
Don't Run, Whatever You Do: My Adventures as a Safari Guide
Price: 5.21

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 19 Aug 2012
Took a chance on this book a) because I'm really interested in African wildlife and b) because it was very cheap on Kindle. Was very pleased that I did. It's an entertaining collection of short stories about the author's time working as a safari guide in Botswana. He has a very self-mocking, amusing tone; and it's well-written. Not highbrow literature, but good fun. Certainly good value for money.

Quite unusually for books available for Kindle, it's also been properly edited and proof-read - and had chapter markers inserted. Didn't spot a single typo - I've paid much more for other e-books, and they've been poorly formatted and littered with errors!

Now Then Lad...: Tales of a country bobby
Now Then Lad...: Tales of a country bobby
Price: 4.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright...., 9 Aug 2012
It's OK. I bought this for the Kindle because I love Yorkshire. It was very nice to read about the places I know so well, and some of the stories are charming or interesting, but the narrator comes across as very arrogant and self-congratulatory. Maybe that's intentional - perhaps it's ironic, or perhaps that's what police officers are really like - but don't expect any of James Herriot's endearing, self-deprecating humour!

However, my main criticism relates to the Kindle edition, rather than the actual book (apologies, I realise this isn't relevant to everyone). DO NOT purchase it. I was horrified at the number of mistakes. Capital letters omitted constantly - at one point I noticed five missing on one page! The A64 becomes the 'a64'; his colleague Ed is 'ed', and so on. There are typos and no chapter markers either. I just think it's an absolute disgrace to charge people 5.31 for something so shoddily produced.

Kitchen Craft Magic Whisk, Stainless Steel, 20cm
Kitchen Craft Magic Whisk, Stainless Steel, 20cm
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 6 Aug 2012
Lovely little whisk, works like a charm. Only problem is that because the spirals are metal, you can't use it in non-stick pans. But for the price, who can complain?

Kindle Touch, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Touch Screen Display
Kindle Touch, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Touch Screen Display

4.0 out of 5 stars Thrilled, 6 Aug 2012
Bought my Kindle Touch from a well-known supermarket. I have a long and unpleasant daily rail commute and a friend convinced me that this would make a huge difference.

I'm overjoyed with it. It's such a lovely device. It was super easy to set it up and download books onto it, and I'm not great with technology. I found the Wi-Fi to work really well - better than on my phone, to be honest. It's light and easy to hold. I like the in-book dictionary function very much. I was a bit apprehensive, having read some of the negative reviews on here, about 'ghosting' and slow page turns - well, that hasn't happened for me. I've noticed a tiny bit of 'ghosting' on the home page, but never when I'm reading - so it doesn't matter. The page turns, I find, are quicker than if I were reading an actual book. I'm really glad I went for the touchscreen model - I think this function is worth the extra 20, as I played with the basic model in the shop and found it a bit clunky. I didn't go for 3G, though, as I felt that 60 was a lot to pay just to be able to download books anywhere. If you travelled abroad a lot, though, I can see that it might be worth it.

My only complaint doesn't actually concern the device itself, but I feel it's relevant, as it relates to the service. I think a lot of Amazon's ebooks are vastly overpriced. Yes, I know Amazon's ebooks are still some of the cheapest out there; and I'm very pleased indeed with the wide selection of free books available. But that still doesn't make it OK to put silly prices on other things. For example, I thought it be useful to have some of my favourite cookbooks on my Kindle - then I could decide what to cook for dinner on the train home, and pick up any ingredients between the station and my house. So I looked up the cookbooks on Kindle store. The electronic editions are actually more expensive than my beautiful hardback editions with glossy colour photographs! Come on, there are no production or distribution costs! How high are your profit margins on ebooks?! Given I could never use my Kindle in the kitchen (who's going to touch the screen with floury/greasy hands) I thought this was pretty unreasonable.

I'm not familiar with the industry, so perhaps it isn't Amazon who sets the prices, but the publishers - either way, it's going to have to change. What would be great is if, when you buy a hard copy of a book on Amazon, you could also get an electronic edition for free, or for a small sum. I am NOT going to pay for books twice - and, as it is always nice to own a hard copy, this puts me off paying for ebooks at all - there's such a great selection of free books to read it seems unnecessary to pay for them!

I advise any prospective purchasers of the Kindle to take a good look round the Kindle Store, at the books they like to read, before buying. I love all the free classics, so I'm alright. But if your preference is for newer, more 'popular' books - stay away - you'll be thoroughly ripped off. I paid 5.31 the other day to download a book currently available in my local supermarket for 5.50. I've been pretty disgusted to discover that it has spelling and grammatical errors in every chapter - three or four, per chapter! And there are no chapter markers! I don't know whether this is Amazon's fault or Constable Publishing's - but why would Amazon make such a nice device, then market inferior quality, overpriced products to go with it?

Anyway, it is a great little machine. If you like Wilde, Austen, Shakespeare, Conan Doyle, etc - you're going to be happy as Larry!

TomTom Start 20 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Sound&Technology
Price: 78.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good when it works, but could be better..., 2 July 2012
Bought this as a birthday present for my husband in March. It's certainly useful when it works. However, there are some major niggles with it.

1. PLEASE - EVERYONE WHO'S PURCHASED THIS - BE AWARE THAT THERE IS A VERY, VERY DANGEROUS LITTLE GLITCH IN IT. When you are approaching a crossroads, and the TomTom wants to you to go straight ahead, it shows you your route with the road straight ahead highlighted. This makes it look as though you have priority - when you often do not - the road across your road may be a major road.

Now, of course, I accept that the TomTom isn't a substitute for careful and attentive driving; you should slow down near a crossroads anyway; and you should always have your eyes up ahead looking for stop signs. But we all drive on autopilot sometimes, just following directions.

Please be aware of this glitch. Just because it looks like you have priority on the SatNav screen DOES NOT mean that you do.

2. The touchscreen is not great. I know we're all used to fantastic touchscreens on our phones now, but really, this one is very, very outdated and clunky. You have to press very hard; and it's slow to register what you've tapped.

3. I know there are hundreds of thousands of roads in the country, but where we live, in rural North Yorkshire, it frequently directs us down private farm tracks.

It's fun for a while, this toy, but it could be made so much better with very little affort.

Barbara Currie - The Power of Yoga [DVD]
Barbara Currie - The Power of Yoga [DVD]
Dvd ~ Barbara Currie
Price: 3.30

5.0 out of 5 stars I can touch my toes!, 2 July 2012
I bought this DVD along with Barbara's 'Seven Secrets of Yoga' DVD. I'm a complete beginner and about as flexible as steel, and I've really enjoyed both of them - yoga's helped me hugely with nervous tension and sleep issues. And I can now touch my toes, yippeeeee! (And I've lost weight, though I wasn't expecting too - huge plus). It really does work.

If you are, like I was, a complete beginner, trying to decide whether yoga might be for you, then I suggest you purchase 'Seven Secrets of Yoga' first. I say this for the simple reason that I found 'Seven Secrets' easier and more manageable when I was starting out. This DVD contains some really quite difficult and advanced poses interspersed with the beginners' ones, which I think could be a bit intimidating to the total newbie. I also found her tone a bit more bossy in this one; I prefer the way she talks in the other one.

However, both the DVDs are divided into short sections targeting certain areas, which is fantastic if, like me, you lead a hectic lifestyle. I now do twenty minutes in the morning and twenty minutes before bed, and I mix and match the sections depending on what I feel like doing. This one is a bit more physically demanding in my opinion.

If you have the spare cash, get both DVDs! They compliment each other quite well when you've mastered the basics.

Page: 1 | 2