Profile for John Hughes > Reviews

Content by John Hughes

John Hughes (Grangemouth, Stirlingshire United Kingdom)

AirPort Express Base Station w/ AirTunes (802.11n)
AirPort Express Base Station w/ AirTunes (802.11n)

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy New Airport Express 2.4 and 5 Ghz 802.11n Wi-Fi, 25 Jun 2012
Although Amazon does not have availability until 1st September 2012, its worth waiting for updated Airport Express (79). Got one direct from Apple, now has power cord (UK) for more flexibility in positioning. 10/100Base-T Ethernet WAN and LAN ports, USB port, analogue and digital mini-jack. New Airport Base Station Agent requires Windows 7 or iOS 5. Five minute set-up, works like a dream. Set up on a D-Link DIR 616 router, then running on a home Wi-Fi network to a Sony receiver. Remote from an iPad 3, sound is superb - Five Stars.

Unable to put a review in for Amazons item as is not available yet, so gave old version the average rating. Just wanted customers to know newer version is available.

KitSound BoomDock Docking Station Compatible with iPhone 3G, 3Gs, 4, 4S, iPod Nano 6th Gen and iPod Touch 4th Gen - Black
Offered by Modern-Tech
Price: 99.99

1.0 out of 5 stars What a shame!, 28 Dec 2011
Ordered the KitSound Boomdock for my daughters Christmas. Looks good, sounds even better. Unfortunately it does not charge the iPhone 4 or the iPhone 4S. All other functions appear to work OK but the docking station will not charge my daughters iPhone 4 and I tested it with my iPhone 4S. Same problem, will not charge the battery. The battery power of both the iPhone 4 and 4S actually runs down quite fast when playing via iPod function, so not even suitable to keep just as a player. What a shame as the sound quality was very good.

I must add that I did try all the Troubleshooting FAQs from the manual and online, to try and solve the problem, (air-plane mode, disable 3G, power off/on, etc. etc.) but to no avail.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2011 8:47 AM GMT

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Extended Edition) [Blu-ray] [2011] [2001]
Dvd ~ Elijah Wood
Price: 26.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth five stars, 2 July 2011
Like most people on this site, I waited on the extended version before purchasing LOTR on Blu-ray. Just a couple of quick comments to make. I watched "Fellowship" last night, and the picture quality was truly excellent. As for having to swap disks half way through, well my previous Sony Blu-ray player used to take ages to load disks, Sony's latest model loads them so quickly there's hardly a break in the action. Now "Two Towers" is calling my name....

Which Bitch?
Which Bitch?
Price: 5.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Which Bitch? The one you should listen to!, 23 July 2009
This review is from: Which Bitch? (Audio CD)
What a revelation, far superior to Hats off To The Buskers. With all the hype laden offerings from current bands, I'm so often disappointed when I buy music nowadays. This album knocked me out from the very first listen, I must admit it was somewhat unexpected as I was not blown away by their first offering. This second album ticks all the boxes. Do yourself a favour and get yourself a copy of Which Bitch? you will not regret it. Fantastic.

Glasvegas / A Snowflake Fell (And It Felt Like A Kiss) (2CD)
Glasvegas / A Snowflake Fell (And It Felt Like A Kiss) (2CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Snowflake Fell EP, 16 Dec 2008
Martin Smile (see other review) thinks he is so witty to use Glasvegas's Scottish roots to slag them for releasing this EP, tagged on to their fantastic debut album. It's a bargain, no matter what stereotypical opinion you care to employ. If you already own the original album, digitally download the EP. It cost me 4.74 for the six tracks and they are truly magical. Buy yourself a present this Christmas, you won't regret it.

Griffin RoadTrip 6050-ROAD - FM Transmitter & Charger for iPods - Black
Griffin RoadTrip 6050-ROAD - FM Transmitter & Charger for iPods - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars No thanks to Amazon, 23 Jan 2007
I bought the Griffin Road Trip 4031 for my daughters Christmas. It was to be used with a 2nd generation iPod Nano. Unit fitted very nice into her Toyota Yaris. But as with so many other customers we discovered that the supplied adaptor did not fit the 2G Nano. After 5 attempts to get this information through to Amazon (standard useless reply), I contacted Griffin direct. What a difference - the best customer relations I have ever come across. No problem for them, sent proper adaptor free of charge all the way from Nashville to Scotland. Thanks to Griffin now works a treat.

Netgear WGT624 108 Mbps Wireless Firewall Router
Netgear WGT624 108 Mbps Wireless Firewall Router

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems, 9 April 2006
I bought a Netgear WGT624 108 Mbps Wireless Firewall Router and use it in conjunction with a Netgear WG511T 108 Mbps Wireless PC Card. I am a Telewest 4MB cable broadband customer. I am running Windows XP on my PC and Laptop. I had no experience of networking before my purchase. Set up router within 15 minutes, PC card took about 10 minutes. I have been running the wireless network for just over one month now with not one problem. Excellent signal, speed and coverage. No problems with overheating, despite constant heavy use. Would definitely recommend for use with Telewest broadband users.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2009 1:59 PM BST