Profile for Mark Marsay > Reviews

Content by Mark Marsay

Mark Marsay (Yorkshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Californication - Season 3 [DVD]
Californication - Season 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Duchovny
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars Californication, 26 Dec. 2010
Why do the Americans make such great telly these days? They seem to have shot ahead of everyone else in recent years and leave the Brits trailing behind with pale imitations or chav soaps! This is well written and funny, with an edge to it which is a million miles away from Duchovny's persona in the xfiles (which i liked too). And the fact they don't turn all prudish during sex scenes as many American and British series do, is to be apllauded - this is adult entertainment after all! This is a really good series, with excellent scripts and great acting.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2011 1:33 AM GMT

Greatest Hits(2 CD Set)
Greatest Hits(2 CD Set)
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Joan Jett Greatest Hits, 26 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Greatest Hits(2 CD Set) (Audio CD)
What's to say? If you are a fan of Joan Jett and like her music (maybe you have to be of a certain age) then you'll love this - I certainly did. It also contains the best ever cover version of 'Do You Wanna Touch' (the Gary Glitter hit from the 1970s) - I think it is better than the original. Jett fans will love this as all the hits are here. 10/10

Halo Wars : Classics (Xbox 360)
Halo Wars : Classics (Xbox 360)

3.0 out of 5 stars Halo Wars, 26 Dec. 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Good little strategy game, which becomes a bit `same old, same old' after you've played it a few too many times. Basically there are a limited number of maps and you build bases and units and go attack the enemy. The campaign is good fun, but the multiplayer either against other players or bots can get repetitive, especially if you are one of those who likes to build their resources and units before going into battle - watch out for the nutters on-line who simply blitz you within seconds of the start of the game, making it no fun at all. It could really have used a map editor or random map generator, as will as some mission based multi player modes. Works well. Colourful. But could have been so much better. Enjoy playing, but not for hours on end. One or two games every so often and on to something else. 7/10

Primal Wireless Mic (Xbox 360)
Primal Wireless Mic (Xbox 360)

2.0 out of 5 stars Primal Wireless Mic, 26 Dec. 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I thought this would help solve my wireless connection problem with my xbox as I can't have a wired set of headphones and have yet to find a full headset I like or which works well. By using this mic I should have been able to use my standard wireless headphones for gaming. The mic is great for just chatting on xbox, fits perfectly into the controller and is powerful enough to pick up speech from eight feet away! (Every time my wife asked me if I wanted a cuppa while playing on-line everyone in the lobby asked for a cup too! They could even hear the clock chime and the dog bark or whimper in his sleep.) The downside is that it is no good for in game chat when you have game noise/sound/music and people chatting. With no volume control or channel separation all the game's sound and chat comes in together and you simply can't hear what's going on. So it is absolutely no good for in game use, despite what they say. Which is a pity because it is a nifty little bit of kit (careful you don't mislay it, or the kids swallow it, it really is that small.). So to sum up. Good for chatting on xbox. But no use for chatting in a game environment. 5/10

Brother DR3000 - Drum Unit - Remanufactured By Green Cat Co Limited
Brother DR3000 - Drum Unit - Remanufactured By Green Cat Co Limited
Offered by UK_Trade_Surplus/UK VAT INcl

5.0 out of 5 stars Brother Laser Drum, 26 Dec. 2010
Exactly what it should be - a good product, good price and delivered promptly. It works exactly as it should - unlike the 'compatible' crap I had purchased just before going back to proper Brother units.

Turtle Beach Wireless Headset Ear Force X41 (Xbox 360)
Turtle Beach Wireless Headset Ear Force X41 (Xbox 360)
Offered by rockaway-records

1.0 out of 5 stars sub standard, 18 Dec. 2009
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I was really looking forward to getting these, and when they worked right they were awesome - but like other people, I had problems with the supplied batteries, but the biggest issue was with the chat cable jack where it plugs into the headset, it did not fit properly and would constantly create a sort of electrical short circuit inside the headset. Given what I have read elsewhere about similar issues I think this is a design and manufacturing fault that Turtle beach should have put right before they shipped the product. I contacted them direct - they weren't interested and didn't even respond. I don't know if the headset was dangerous, but constant shorts, voice disappearing and feedback for other players whilst on-line led me to return them to Amazon as faulty and to get a refund. My advice - don't touch them with a barge pole until Turtle beach has fixed the problem with the jack plugs on the cable and cable jack socket on the headset. Yes, the sound on games was awesome - but the problems far outweighed the pleasure. Why is it than when manufacturers know there is a problem they don't put it right, but just keep shipping! Looking for something similar now, but once bitten twice shy and I won't be returning to Turtle beach for anything else - ever! Really disappointed. In fairness I have friends who own them and they do like them, some of them just put up with the issues, others don't have any issues at all - go figure. 3/10
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2010 6:19 PM GMT

Xbox 360 for Dummies (For Dummies S.)
Xbox 360 for Dummies (For Dummies S.)
by Brian Johnson

1.0 out of 5 stars Xbox 360 for dummies, 3 Nov. 2009
Not worth the effort or money - honestly! I had already set up my xbox before I decided I wanted to know how everything works - this book was basically telling me how to set it up with very little detail about all the settings you get to from the dashboard, how it all works and what you need to do. My 15 year old nephew was actually more helpful. I had him on the phone whilst I was setting stuff up and was up and running in minutes! Maybe I should hire him out for the same price as the book, I'd make a fortune! LOL - Seriously, unless you really are an absolute simpleton, don't bother with this, save your money, invite a youngster to set it up for you and buy them a pizza instead - cheaper and better! 1/10
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2010 3:50 AM BST

Fable II - Game Of The Year Edition (Xbox 360)
Fable II - Game Of The Year Edition (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fable II, 3 Nov. 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Fantastic action RPG. Got into this after seeing nephew playing it. Enjoyable, with easy to use controls and lots of missions to complete. It's a great way to relax after a few hours of mayhem on shooters. Graphics are colourful and clear. Could have done with a proper multiplayer mode really, as the co-op style is a bit flawed and the camera angle isn't always easy to work with as if you are with the main character in the game you have to stay within a short distance of him all the time, so not a true multiplayer or even co-op - which is a pity, as there would be great potential here if the designers had thought it through. (This issue has been addressed in Fable III and now works much better.) But really good fun nonetheless, for all ages, and well worth the money. Had to visit a few walkthrough websites from time to time for help with some of the puzzle aspects, but nothing to onerous. Has all the add ons too (so no need to pay extra on xbox for the DLC packs, as they are all here). Real value for money. 10/10

Call Of Juarez: Bound In Blood (Xbox 360)
Call Of Juarez: Bound In Blood (Xbox 360)
Offered by D-N-M

4.0 out of 5 stars Call of Juarez Bound in Blood, 3 Nov. 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Great game, love the western first person shooter theme, the maps and graphics are awesome and the new add-on maps from xbox are brilliant. Easy controls, no real problem. But no co-op mode so you and a friend could team up to play the two brothers in the game (big shame on that as I could have done with some help from time to time). Most everything is do-able, but being an old timer I have found the quick draw gun fights impossible to complete (seems to be at least one in each level - have to wait for my nephew to visit so he can do them for me! First time every time! LOL). This has taken the shine off the game for me as there is no alternative solution to taking down the bad guy except to complete the gun fight. That has stalled my progress on the single player missions. The multiplayer is good, great maps and many different characters/kits available. Just a pity that there seems to be so few players playing this on-line, often you go on and there are less than 3 games going on and as these are hosted outside the UK in many instances the connection isn't always good to the server. On the whole though I am enjoying this, despite the niggles - had I known I might have waited for it to come down in price. 8/10

Update: Red Dead Redemption, which came out a year later, is a better western game and easier to play in my view.

Left 4 Dead - Game Of The Year Edition (Xbox 360)
Left 4 Dead - Game Of The Year Edition (Xbox 360)
Offered by 666 Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Left 4 Dead, 3 Nov. 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Great fun first person shooter! Wasn't sure about this until my nephew got me playing it, then had to own it myself. I like the various difficulty settings which allow you to progress through the levels at your own pace and develop your skill (basically you kill everything you see!) Great 4 player mode where you can have friends join (2, 3 or 4 people) to help you get through some of the tougher moments and show you where stuff is and the routes through the zombie infested streets! Plenty of playability, and now looking forward to L4D2 when it comes out. If you can pick this up cheap then have a bash, it's fun. 9/10

Update: Have now played L4D2, and must say I prefer the first game to the sequel, especially the characters. But both are good.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5