Profile for Big Red > Reviews

Nero 2016 Classic (PC)
Nero 2016 Classic (PC)
Offered by GlobePRO

5.0 out of 5 stars A good value package, 31 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Nero 2016 Classic (PC) (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a user for many years of Nero Burning Rom, would this Classic edition be any use to me? I've sworn by Burning Rom for burning back-up CDs and haven't really needed anything else. It's so easy to use, intuitive, and is almost totally reliable (probably down to faulty CDs when it doesn't work). What this Classic edition adds is Nero Express (a quicker option for burning which I haven't seen in a while), lots of video editing tools and DVD burning, and a smart program and app which casts video to another device.

Nero Video looks impressive and is easy to get started with. It looks like something I can get my head around so I'll be attempting to customise some videos for uploading. I had high hopes for Nero recode which can convert video files to DVD but it can only do it in reverse for non-copyrighted DVDs, so if you're hoping to use it to upload your DVDs to the cloud or a device, it probably won't be possible. It does work well for burning playable DVDs, but DVDs are rapidly becoming less useful and less relevant.

The most impressive, and relevant, tool in the Classic toolbox for me is Nero Disc to Device. I installed the free app Nero MediaHome Receiver on my phone, and as long as I'm connected to my home network (i.e. at home) I can watch anywhere within the house. I won't use this all the time as there are other options for casting video (I can use another device to cast to the TV, for example) and I can also stream from the cloud, but it's an option.

Overall, very good value for money, as with most Nero packages. I run Windows 10 and have had no compatibility issues.

Kingston Technology HyperX Savage 128 GB USB 3.1/3.0 Flash Drive
Kingston Technology HyperX Savage 128 GB USB 3.1/3.0 Flash Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, but only for gamers?, 15 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm very impressed with what is probably the fastest USB drive available. It's quite bulky but it doesn't really have to compete with anything else I use for space, but even if it did I think there would be room. I'd become accustomed to a very small USB drive, the SanDisk Cruzer fit type, so using this was like going back 5 years in terms of its size. The drive itself is most of what is seen in the pictures, having only a removable cap on the end opposite the loop hook and LED light.

Despite having some modern hardware, I don't have anything that is USB 3.0 to my knowledge, so I'm not going to see the fastest speeds. So is this still worth it? I would say yes, because it still seems much faster than all my other USB drives, with write speeds of around 200 mb/s. But, there are alternate storage options available for a similar prices and vanilla USB drives with the same capacity for much less. This is a multi-platform (e.g. PS2) drive and is probably overkill for playing music in my car. But it's well made, stylish and works a treat.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2016 9:41 AM GMT

Philips GC4924/20 PerfectCare Azur Steam Iron with Optimal Temperature technology, 2800 W

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent iron, 27 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Phillips OptimalTEMP feature I really love, having used the Philips GC8650/80 Steam Generator this year. It is remarkable how these irons do not need a temperature control and it saves time not having to worry and fiddle with the controls. The iron basically knows what fabric is being ironed and adjusts the temperature accordingly. I'd love to know how it does it, but it does. Have faith, it works! Phillips is the only iron brand I would consider, as I feel they are way ahead of the competition and are always the first to innovate with new technologies. I would expect a Phillips iron to easily last for 10+ years, they are that well made and designed.

Compared to the steam generator iron, where the water is stored in a separate tank, this iron feels really heavy. I haven't used this type of iron, which holds it's own water, for more than a year, and the difference in weight is very noticeable and makes the job of ironing more tiring. I mention this because these Perfect Care irons are expensive and steam generator irons are available for not much more money. Have a look in case steam generator irons might be the better option.

I ironed a few shirts straight out of the box without reading the instructions. This is an intuitive iron with a steam boost trigger, a water jet button which sprays water from the front and the now common 'calc clean' button which helps flush out deposits from hard water. There is a 3-way switch for steam, eco and no steam. Oh, and you'll never be wondering whether the iron is switched on as there is a bright blue LED light which circles the whole front of the iron. This flashes while it is heating up and lights constantly when ready. Heating took only a few seconds. Water filling is from a flat position, rather than upright, which I would have preferred. The blue colour scheme is OK but a little dull, and the chord moves around easily where it is connected to the iron on a ball socket.

Overall this is a solid iron from Phillips, once again. They have so many fantastic irons to choose from it's becoming a little overwhelming, but I would definitely suggest this type of iron over anything with a temperature control, which is becoming old-fashioned.

Philips GC4922/80 PerfectCare Azur Steam Iron with Optimal Temperature technology, 2600 W

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Iron, 27 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I ironed a few shirts straight out of the box without reading the instructions. This is an intuitive iron with a steam boost trigger, a water jet button which sprays water from the front and the now common 'calc clean' button which helps flush out deposits from hard water. There is a 3-way switch for steam, eco and no steam. Oh, and you'll never be wondering whether the iron is switched on as there is a bright blue LED light which circles the whole front of the iron. This flashes while it is heating up and lights constantly when ready. Heating took only a few seconds. Water filling is from a flat position, rather than upright, which I would have preferred. The yellow and black colour scheme I really like, and the chord moves around easily where it is connected to the iron on a ball socket.

Zamberlan Men's Ultralite Low GTX
Zamberlan Men's Ultralite Low GTX
Price: £139.42 - £154.99

4.0 out of 5 stars After 6 months - very pleased with minor reservations, 29 Nov. 2015
I wear Zamberlan walking boots and this is my third pair of Zamberlan casual footwear. I was so impressed that I ordered a second pair for when the first wear out, in case they are no longer available. This is the type of shoe that I've been hoping Zamberlan would make for a few years.

These are essentially walking shoes with low ankle support and rugged Vibram soles, but disguised as smart, casual shoes. I wear these to work every day and no-one has asked me why I'm wearing walking shoes. They are incredibly comfortable and provide amazing grip when I'm outdoors. They are highly water-resistant and I haven't had to apply any Hydrobloc or similar product. They have a Gore-tex lining but this probably hasn't been needed yet!

I've been wearing mine for 6 months now, and I have to report a couple of downsides sadly, hence 4 stars instead of 5. Firstly, the leather is very easily scuffed so I had to purchase some dark tan polish which I have to apply regularly. I do feel that the leather could be more durable but it does look fantastic when new and when polished. Secondly, the Vibram soles are wearing down quite a bit and probably won't last longer than 18 months of regular use. This is disappointing as the soles on walking boots last me much longer. The 'uppers' will certainly outlast the soles so at some point I'll have to look at getting them resoled if I'm to get my money's worth.

I highly recommend these shoes. They are Italian quality, look gorgeous and not flashy, and are highly functional. Zamberlan's sizing is reliable across the whole range though I think it is slightly larger than a normal shoe size.

Graco Nimble Nook Travel Cot (Pierce)
Graco Nimble Nook Travel Cot (Pierce)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great design, better than it looks, 29 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A lot of thought seems to have been put into the design of this cot in order for it to pack down into a smaller carry bag. I wouldn't say it was easy to assemble the first time as the diagrams took a bit of studying, but we didn't have too many problems. The second time around we assembled it very quickly. It's main design strength I think is as a travel cot, for this reason. Despite this it doesn't feel in any way flimsy when it's assembled; it is very solid indeed. The weight reflects this as it isn't lightweight, but I wouldn't say it is uncomfortably heavy.

There is a vibration feature that works quite well, with a unit for placing under the mattress. This is a nice feature to have included on a travel cot. It makes a reassuring low noise too which I guess not everyone will like.

I highly recommend this is a travel cot. As a semi-permanent feature in the home it might look a bit dull unless decorated with toys, as it certainly looks a lot more basic and workmanlike than it actually is. The quality is in the folding design and the materials, not the look.

L'Oreal Men Expert Pure and Matte Scrub - 150 ml
L'Oreal Men Expert Pure and Matte Scrub - 150 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Good results but environmental concerns (the latter of which I've ignored in my rating), 29 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having ordered this product on Vine, I was thinking it would be rather daft of me to then mark it only one star for containing polyethylene, a plastic that is not good for the environment. L'Oreal have said they will phase polyethylene out of their products by 2017. Had I known the microbeads in this product were still plastic I would not have ordered it, however I have tested it.

The product feels like a mild soap with grit in it. It contains no soap, or grit for that matter. Massaging it into my face is quite a pleasant experience and after a few days I began to notice and feel a difference. My face felt a lot fresher and less oily and I could easily believe that this was due to the product unblocking some pores and removing some dead skin.

It is not as easy to rinse off the face as normal soap or cleanser would be, but it is not impossible. It just takes me two or three good rinses. I also decided after the first two washes not to use it on my forehead as getting it too close to the eyes is probably a bad idea due to the microbeads. This is the only reason I've deducted a star.

Would I continue to buy this product? - absolutely not, as it contains plastic, but my rating ignores that concern. If L'Oreal ever come up with an environmental alternative, which I expect they will, I would certainly consider buying it on a regular basis if it performs as this one does.

High Purity Magnesium Complex by Nutravita - 90 Tablets - Made in the UK
High Purity Magnesium Complex by Nutravita - 90 Tablets - Made in the UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable value but there are better, 25 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Nutravita produce lots of health related products - I checked out their website first to see what they are about, and there are a lot of products with 'active' ingredients I've never heard of. It seems to be a reputable company with products made in the UK, though they do present some info in the form of 'certifications' or 'awards' which as far as I can tell are just logos used by them. Always check out a company before buying such products!

The label on the container could be more convincing - though it contains all the information it looks a bit 'fake' like it could be on a dodgy import. Nothing like the quality label on well-known products.

I have taken magnesium before for muscles and bones and there is some evidence that it can help with anxiety. These tablets however are magnesium oxide, and though popular it is said to be one of the worst forms of magnesium for absorption. Just bear that in mind as there are more effective forms of magnesium available (e.g. magnesium chloride). Magnesium oxide can have an absorption rate as low as 5%. With a 100mg dose though it probably makes up for it.

The container is less than half-full. Typical - a lot of wasted space. Overall though it's reasonable value and a product I'd consider buying in the future.

Cluedo Nostalgia Wooden Edition
Cluedo Nostalgia Wooden Edition

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed Cluedo fan, 9 Nov. 2015
I'm a big Cluedo fan and have many versions of this great game. This one I want to like more than all the others, but there are some disappointments.

The cards are of poor quality. Nothing like the quality of the other versions. They are just stiff card, nothing like playing card quality. Is this how they were in 1949? Somehow I doubt it. I expected better from this set. The cards here won't survive regular use for long. Flex them and they'll crease very easily. Really shockingly bad.

For some bizarre reason the weapons do not match the original images on the cards. The spanner piece, for example, is an adjustable spanner, which the picture clearly isn't. The revolver piece is a revolver, while the original weapon and picture, although named a revolver, is a pistol. The dagger piece looks like a sword in a scabbard (nothing like the picture) and there's a horrible plastic rope. They clearly haven't put much effort into reproducing the original weapon pieces.

The box is divided into three 'compartments' which would not securely store much at all. I've had to find bags and elastic bands to secure everything inside the box. Again, disappointing. But then it is a wooden box.

The board is OK but of course is the modern quarter-fold design so there's a disconnected gap down the middle of the lounge. The wooden coloured markers are nice.

Overall it's a cheap-feeling 'attempt' at reproducing 1949 and I'm disappointed with it.

Fellowes Neptune 3 A3 Laminator
Fellowes Neptune 3 A3 Laminator

5.0 out of 5 stars Mostly impressed, high quality, 5 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm mostly impressed. This laminator required no assembly save for attaching the wire shelf at the back, which isn't essential. It's quite heavy but is designed with indentations for gripping at each end. It is supplied with 10 A4 pouches which are the Enhance 80 Fellowes variety. Plug is attached with a fixed cord and there is an on/off switch at the back. When switched on, a blue standby light appears and the laminator can be woken by just touching it.

It only takes up to 1 minute for it to be ready to laminate and by the time I'd inserted a page into the pouch it was ready. It can be set either on Auto or Cold, though I'm slightly confused by the Cold setting as the light constantly flashes suggesting that it is not ready and cooling down. According to the instructions the light should stop flashing when the cold setting is ready but I've not seen this happen. The instructions say it can take 30-60 minutes and I'm not sure of the advantages of cold lamination. I've had no problems laminating with both settings so I'm not sure which is required for the supplied pouches and there are few clues in the instructions. I've read that Enhance 80 are suitable for cold laminating but that's all I know. I should add that the pouches are fairly cheap to buy. The results I've had so far are excellent. When switched on it does make a whirring noise even when not laminating and I'm not sure why this is. It will switch itself into standby after 30 minutes.

The Neptune 3 is quite wide, being an A3 laminator. It's over 50cm wide (long) so takes up a fair bit of space. Unless the potential buyer requires an A3 option I wouldn't recommend it, as there are smaller laminators that are just as good. If A3 is required I really recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20