Profile for Lawrence Kivlin > Reviews

Content by Lawrence Kivlin

Lawrence Kivlin (Edinburgh, Lothian United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Epson Pulsense PS-500 Activity Monitor with In-Built Heart Rate and Multifunctional Display - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars very nasty and not at all what I was expecting from a premium product like this. The documentation that comes with the device .., 5 Oct 2014
First impressions when I opened the packages was 'tacky' . The packaging is very cheap, very nasty and not at all what I was expecting from a premium product like this. The documentation that comes with the device on first look gave me a sinking feeling as it was almost non existent. Thankfully the mobile app for my android phone had all the instruction sin it I needed to pair the device and the phone.

I've had it for about a week now and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. The device its self is fairly light but still manages to feel well built. The soft silicon strap is comfortable but it isn't particularly big so some people might find that the strap only just fits. (I had only 2 holes on the strap to spare). ITs comfortable to wear and the fastening is pretty secure unlike some other devices I read reviews of.

Once paired the device was easily configurable via the mobile app. time, alarms and alerts took me less than 30 minutes to get set up. The amount of information that is collected is pretty impressive and although I'm a bit sceptical about the 'Mind' readings of elevated and relaxed I have seen some correlation to when I'm not actively moving and 'chilling' and when I've been working on things that had my mind active.

The step counter seems to be pretty accurate and tied in fairly closely to the pedometer and my Note 3. the constant feedback of heart rate is also great and again the accuracy seems to be pretty reasonable, certainly close enough for monitoring workouts.

The sleep monitoring I'll reserve judgement on as I'm not sure exactly how it works but I have had nights were I know I've had a restless sleep and the monitor relates that back. Once I have a night were I wake up feeling I've had a great sleep I'll see if the activity shows as restful or not.

The vibration alarm is great in the morning as it means I get woken without disturbing my wife. As I'm often up 2-3 hours before her for work that can only be a good thing.

When I was looking at this device it was advertised as having a battery life of around 36 hours. That was better that some I'd seen and considering the 24/7 heart rate monitoring I felt that it was reasonable. I've charged it a couple of times now and have allowed it to run down completely. I'm getting around 55 hours of use with a single charge so its way better than advertised.

Overall I think this is a great device. It gives way more functionality than most activity trackers unless you buy an external heart rate chest strap. The mobile app is easy to use and gives a good level of detail and also allows for weekly and monthly views as well. I don't use the food intake part of the app but it does look easy to use so I may give that a go at a later date.

It is an expensive device but when you think of the technology that's packed in to it and the convenience of not needing an external chest strap too I think its reasonably priced for what you're getting.

Two Halcyon 1400 mAH Lithium Ion Replacement Battery for Fujifilm NP-50
Two Halcyon 1400 mAH Lithium Ion Replacement Battery for Fujifilm NP-50

5.0 out of 5 stars Power to me., 18 May 2014
I needed a couple of spare batteries for my W3 3D camera. Its pretty power hungry and certainly for going on holiday 1 battery wouldn't last a whole day if I'm out sight seeing.

These batteries last slightly longer than the stock battery and charge just as quickly so now even if I go completely snap happy I should never run out of power.

2 x disGuard Anti-Reflective Screen Protector for Fujifilm Finepix Real 3D W3 - PREMIUM QUALITY (non-reflecting, hard-coated, bubble free application)
Offered by disGuard Screen Protector

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 18 May 2014
The 3D W3 camera is a nice camera but is very prone to reflection on the viewing screen. Its hard and shiny and even in a well lit room reflection can be a problem. Outdoors on a sunny day you are often taking pictures blind and can't even review them easily so you don't know until its too late that you missed an opportunity.

The disGuard screen protector is a matt finished item. It was incredibly easy to apply. A quick clean of the screen with a lint free cloth before application meant it went on first time no bubbles and was a perfect fit for the screen.

I experienced no reflection at all in a well lit indoor situation which was goo but was only an occasional problem anyway. Outdoor use on a bright day gave a dramatic improvement with an almost complete absence of reflection. Theres still problems with the screen being wiped out under very bright conditions but that's down to the backlighting of the screen so I never expected that to be resolved.

For the price of this protector it does a fantastic job and does dramatically improve the usability of the camera in outdoor situations. Highly recommended.

Parker Jotter Ballpoint Pen & Pencil Set Stainless Steel Personalised Gift ENGRAVED
Offered by Pilotfish Pens

5.0 out of 5 stars nice gift, 17 April 2014
Got these as a gift and it is a very nice set. The engraving was of a very nice quality too

Brookstone BR360284 Protect Advanced Rubber Car Mat Set
Brookstone BR360284 Protect Advanced Rubber Car Mat Set
Offered by Extreme Auto Accessories

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice hardwaring mats., 17 April 2014
They have a strong rubber/chemical smell when they first arrived but it faded pretty quickly. Now been using them a while and when I was cleaning the car the other day I hosed them down. 3 months of heavy use and they're immaculate after a quick hosing, they look like new still.

KabelDirekt 2m Pro Series High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet 1.4a / 2.0 supports Full HD / Ultra HD 3D ARC
Offered by KabelDirekt

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks, Feels and Performs in a different class from its price., 17 April 2014
Instant improvement over the HDMI cables I had been using before and they cost way more. Felt I had to change with the move to a 3D TV as the other cables weren't officially compatible with the 3D TV.

Build quality is impressive and the picture is vivid and rock solid. now using these on the 3D bluray, Sky and an HDDVD player all with equally impressive improvements to the picture quality.

Theres no need to spend more on an HDMI cable than these cost.

Katy Perry: Part of Me - Triple Play (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Katy Perry
Offered by MediaMerchants

3.0 out of 5 stars The wife likes it, 17 April 2014
This came up when I searched for Bluray 3D. I wrongly assumed it was in 3D but the wifes a fan so it was still worth the price I paid.

Avatar / Titanic Double Pack (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) [1997]
Avatar / Titanic Double Pack (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) [1997]
Dvd ~ Sam Worthington

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular viewing, 17 April 2014
I'd always thought that Avatar was a visually impressive film when I'd watched it in the past from Bluray. The 3D bluray took it to a whole new level for me. One of the most visually stunning films I've ever seen.

Titanic in 3D WOW ! ! considering it wasn't filmed in 2D the transfer is pretty impressive. There are a few bits where you can tell it has been digitally altered to give the depth perspective but overall it does add to the film to have it in 3D

well worth getting this pack even if you already have both films on bluray.

Fujifilm Finepix Real 3d W3 Digital Camera (10.2mp, 3x Zoom 3.5 Inch LCD Screen) (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars real 3D capability for a rock bottom price., 17 April 2014
Only just got this and have to say this is one of the best toys I've ever bought myself.

The 3D stills on the built in screen look spectacular. Holiday memories are going to be so much more vivid this year.

The 3D video recoding is pretty impressive too. I need to play around with it a bit to get an idea of what settings are best for different scenarios but using the auto mode gave very nice results first time.

The images on the built in screen are really nice considering the size and the fact that its a no glasses required screen. If the results when played back on my 3D TV are as good I'll be very happy but I suspect they'll be even better than the built in screen.

The full retail price is a bit steep but the £110 I paid for this is a complete bargain.

Build quality feels very nice which just adds to the feeling that I've just scored a cracking deal with my latest toy :-)

Klipsch Mode M40 Noise Cancelling Over Ear Headphones - Copper/Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Fuzzy Peaches UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Commuters dream., 27 Aug 2013
I thought I'd treat myself when I bought these and I have to say I was seriously impressed with everything about these headphones. The package as a whole is extremely well finished, very polished presentation and you can tell there has been a lot of effort and thought put in to them. They are solid built devices but are extremely comfortable to wear even for a couple of hours straight. I commute a bit and these are an absolute god send. They block out noise on the bus with no problem (including people just talking rubbish) and on the train where theres a bit less background noise they are fantastic. Now I've had them for a couple of months I'm even happier with the price I paid and I think even at full price they would have been a decent investment.

Page: 1 | 2