Profile for S. Wilkes > Reviews

Content by S. Wilkes

S. Wilkes "esso99"

Page: 1 | 2
Panasonic KX-TG8524EB DECT Quad Digital Cordless Phone Set with Answer Machine - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Call Barring Feature Means No More Unwanted Calls!!!!!, 14 Jun. 2012
I've had these about six months now and am really pleased with them - I've had no operating problems whatsoever, the clarity, battery life and range are all good, and I can plug in the Panasonic hands-free headset (bought seperately) for longer chats while still getting on with whatever I'm doing. Brill. But the BEST THING about these phones is the ability to bar those oh so annoying unsolicited Accident Injury / PPI / Survey / Bank Detalis / any other scam calls whose personnel want to tell me (Me! a nice polite little lady) to **** off when I won't give them any personal details. It's bliss! It's really easy to do from the caller displayed number, and once done the barred call doesn't ring the phone when trying to get through. I look every so often at the caller list to see how many calls I've had that haven't disturbed and annoyed me and want to laugh! All in all, I'm glad I bought them.

Agatha Raisin: As The Pig Turns
Agatha Raisin: As The Pig Turns
by M. C. Beaton

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best in the series..., 31 Mar. 2012
I've enjoyed reading all the Agatha Raisin series as they aren't taxing in any way and they usually make me laugh - although this one didn't. I think of late though M.C Beaton hasn't been putting her heart into the series. This book is OK, but not much more than that which is a shame, as I'm sure she has a legion of fans waiting for the next instalments to her series'. I know with some fiction we have to suspend belief, but to how far away do we suspend it to really go along with thinking that a couple of hours after a certain event has happened in Agatha's local community that it would be reported as breaking news on national TV in the early hours of the morning, and that the person involved would be reported as "....friend of Agatha Raisin...."? Don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy M.C. Beaton's books, and have read both this and the Hamish Macbeth series, but this book has been written in mainly short staccato paragraphs that feel as though they need padding out, as if some parts of the chapters have just been outlined and left for someone else to fill in, but this has been overlooked. I don't think the later books in the series retain the warmth and humour of the earlier books, and Agatha retaining the same traits and bad habits as in every other book is, for me, becoming slightly stale. Still, I daresay I will look forward to, and read, the next book in the series!

RHS Desk Diary 2012 - Royal Horticultural Society
RHS Desk Diary 2012 - Royal Horticultural Society

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Illustrations, 7 Nov. 2011
This is a nice diary, beautifully illustrated, clear and practical. Perfect Christmas present for anyone interested in horticulture, and elderly aunties who are fed up with chocolates!

Live From The Union Chapel
Live From The Union Chapel

2.0 out of 5 stars Major Problems With CD Sound....?, 7 Nov. 2011
I love the songs of Damien Rice, especially when Lisa Hannigan is singing with him and I was really looking forward to this. However, I had major problems with two copies of this CD. I only ever listen to music via my laptop - in fact listening to music this way is so convenient that I no longer have a home stereo. I always buy whatever CD takes my fancy, load it onto my laptop for home and keep the original for playing in my car. I loaded the first copy of this CD onto my laptop and found that the sound was overdubbed with loud static, and was impossible to listen to. My first thought was that it was faulty, so I contacted Amazon who immediately sent a replacement copy. Unfortunately that CD was exactly the same, with loud, rasping static over the music. I tried the CD on two laptops, both with problems, and then on my car CD player where it played perfectly. I can only assume that for some reason these CD's have been manufactured so that they can't be put onto a computer in case they are copied or shared, which I have never done and am not interested in doing. This is the first time this has happened to me, and other CD's I have put onto my laptop since have played without a problem. I think Amazon are looking into this, (fab customer service as ever from Amazon)but in honesty so many of us listen to our music via laptops / computers that I think we should be told if we can't play a CD in this way. I will be downloading an MP3 of this album onto my laptop, but it's spoilt it for me in a way. I'd be really interested if this has happened to anyone else - maybe you could let us all know in a review....?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2014 12:28 AM BST

aerolatte Milk Frother with Storage Tube, Black
aerolatte Milk Frother with Storage Tube, Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked for a While..., 21 May 2011
This is the 3rd Aerolatte I've had (as I'm sure Amazon can confirm!) and despite being especially careful with this one, replacing it back into its case and putting it away in a drawer, I have again had the problem of the main arm bending slightly which makes the whisk end of the unit go round in a large circle instead of just spinning (if that makes sense) and this stops it working properly. This can only have happened when it's being cleaned, which I obviously have to do. I've also had the same problem with all 3 in that the batteries don't seem to make a good connection - it's as if the battery chamber is slightly too deep for the batteries. I end up having to use the unit at a funny angle or pressing down on the end of the unit for it to connect and work. I would be really happy to hear if anyone else has had this problem as it's really irked me - I'm now looking to buy a manual jug frother instead!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2011 12:39 PM BST

Circulon Bakeware Oven Roaster with Rack
Circulon Bakeware Oven Roaster with Rack

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the Handles!, 18 April 2011
This tin is very good at not sticking - even Yorkshire pudding comes away from the tin easily, but the handles are dreadful. The height of the handles meant I couldn't fit another oven shelf above the tin, (in a standard size Neff single oven) and they are so disproportionally hot, that every time I used the tin I burned my wrists, hands or arms. Even just brushing against the tin gave me nasty burn. So removed them by taking out the rivets, and now have a perfectly useable tin that I have used safely since. Circulon should just mamke this grade of tin without thoses uselless handles!

DANISH PEPPER MILL IN CLEAR ACRYLIC WITH SATIN FINISH KNOB Size 140mm
DANISH PEPPER MILL IN CLEAR ACRYLIC WITH SATIN FINISH KNOB Size 140mm

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Little Set, 30 Oct. 2010
I've been looking for a set just like this for a while, not too big, not too small to use both in the kitchen and at the table and these fit the bill nicely. Easy to use, and the fact that they are acrylic means they haven't broken when dropped onto my tiled floor! Good price, good buy.

The Genie Head Massager
The Genie Head Massager
Offered by eTwist

1.0 out of 5 stars Bits fell off..., 7 Oct. 2010
Although it was fun using this at first, the small pieces of rubber / plastic protection that covered the ends fell off mine, so uncovered ends of metal were scraping across my scalp, making it uncomfortable to use. It only lasted a couple of weeks. Bet the better made (and more expensive)ones are nicer though!

Salter Disc Electronic Digital Kitchen Scale - Black
Salter Disc Electronic Digital Kitchen Scale - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Mine Have Given Up!, 30 Aug. 2010
Although I have had my set for less than a year I am now searching the pages of Amazon for a different set altogether. Firstly the rubber feet fell off mine which made them unstable, and subsequently the dial would not go back to nought or turn off. I picked the rest of the rubber feet off to try to level the scales as the dial kept reading 'unstable' but this didn't make any difference. I have just tried to weigh some flour but again the scales won't go back to nought to add more ingredients so I have thrown them in the bin, and hope to find a good quality non-electrical pair!

Treasure Hunter [DVD] [2009]
Treasure Hunter [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Chiling Lin
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Subtitled, 7 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Treasure Hunter [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I think this is probably a good film, but there is a mistake in the description as it isn't in English as stated, but in Mandarin with English subtitles. I didn't realise this until I started to play the movie, and as it is an action movie and fast paced, you have missed what is going on in the action as you read what is being said. We gave up watching after a short while. Amazon have been very understanding and refunded me (thank you Amazon) after I queried this. I think they need to alter their description though, as describing it as being in English is misleading.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2011 3:08 PM BST