Profile for Jack Aubrey > Reviews

Metal Brace / Dummy Clips 34mm (Pack of 10) CBC590
Metal Brace / Dummy Clips 34mm (Pack of 10) CBC590
Offered by BEADS.4.CRAFTS

5.0 out of 5 stars but it's fine: feels sturdy, 22 May 2015
Bit big for my purpose, which was to replace a broken plastic clip on my pedometer, but it's fine: feels sturdy, good spring and the bigger size makes it easier to handle with my stiff fingers.

iPad Air (1 & 2) Case Cover By PUPiL of Cambridge, England Handmade Genuine Leather (Coal - Black)
Offered by iZilla

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect: excellent value, practical and stylish., 30 Jan. 2015
Case looks and feels high quality. I was a bit flummoxed at first about how to fit the pad into the case: my visual-spatial skills are not so good. So there was a lot of trial and error but I worked it out eventually. But it would help a lot if there was a single sheet of visual instructions included in the box. I was worried also that when it was open the flap that closes it would flop onto the screen. A more robust family member told me just to fold the flap backwards. Delivery was excellent too. I'm sure that it will be fine and its value, (quality / price) is excellent and much better than all the ones I looked at in shops. I concur fully with the scores of other similar reviews.

Harvey Daniels Royal Blue Spliced 8mm Dog Slip Lead
Harvey Daniels Royal Blue Spliced 8mm Dog Slip Lead

4.0 out of 5 stars A good buy - used in conjunction with the shorter version, 5 April 2014
I'm not fussed about some dog hairs on the lead. I like the slight springiness in the tension. Django likes it too. See my review of the HD 'Brown Extra Long…8mm.' for more comments.

Harvey Daniels Brown Extra Long Spliced 8mm Dog Slip Lead
Harvey Daniels Brown Extra Long Spliced 8mm Dog Slip Lead

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent both as a straight lead and as a muzzle lead, 5 April 2014
I bought the lead a couple of weeks after buying the shorter version. My dog, a young Welsh Springer, still needs a muzzle restraint to curb his 'pulling' and the shorter version wasn't quite long enough to accommodate the extra loop and enough overall length to give him some flexibility in keeping his distance. It's also very comfortable for me to hold the lead in my right hand whilst he trots against my left leg. I can't do that with the shorter version. When I loop the lead around his muzzle the dog seems much more comfortable and complains about it far less than when we used a Halti (and others similar). Only occasionally does Django fling himself onto the ground to try to work the loop off from his muzzle.
Like the shorter one, the lead feels secure at both ends and the weave gives it a bit of elasticity which is comfortable for both of us.
The downside is that if he really decides to tug or to leap for a blackbird skulking in the bottom of a hedge, the extra length gives him a longer lever with which to dislocate my wrist and arm. Consequently, my wife, who is shorter than me, much prefers the shorter one.
In our case, we felt that having two of different lengths, was really good value.

Roberts Sports DAB/FM RDS Personal Digital Radio with Loudspeaker - Black
Roberts Sports DAB/FM RDS Personal Digital Radio with Loudspeaker - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 20 Feb. 2014
Great reception, compact, not too heavy and acceptable sound quality with the associated headphones. Setting up the pre-selected stations is a bit of a fiddle, but it's a job you only need to do once.
Tip: it fits snugly (very snugly if you swaddle it in a sock) into a Silva compass case. This means that you can attach it to your belt, or, as I like to do, the strap of my rucksack

Silva Compass Case
Silva Compass Case
Offered by General Stores Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Second purchase, 20 Feb. 2014
I bought one a few months ago to house my compass. It was roomy, which I liked because it would hold my emergency glucose tablets as well. But found it also made an excellent case for my Roberts Sports dab radio. So, I've bought another two... one is to rehome my compass and glucose and one is for my son to put his sports radio in. My iPod fits in snugly too, especially when its wearing a sock. Sadly, it's not quite large enough for my flask and sandwiches.

Peak District (Dark Peak) Adv. Atlas (A-Z Adventure Atlas)
Peak District (Dark Peak) Adv. Atlas (A-Z Adventure Atlas)
by Geographers A-Z Map Co Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Long overdue and brilliant, 6 Jan. 2014
At last here is an end to my expensive OS map being ripped to pieces by the wind on Kinder Scout and having to squeeze it into an out of a map case twisting and twirling in the breeze.
Having the map in pocketable atlas form is simply brilliant.
If you are still seduced by an image of yourself as the heroic explorer, practising the ancient british craft-skill of folding and re-folding a big map in hostile conditions and believe that only wimps carry their maps in a book, it's time to change.
It's the motoring cartographic equivalent of power steering: There's no folding, creasing or wind wrestling needed.
You are free, at last, to concentrate on the route and the pleasure of the landscape.

Braun BNC002BKBK Square Alarm Clock - Black
Braun BNC002BKBK Square Alarm Clock - Black
Offered by Selectric London Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant functionality, 19 Dec. 2013
I like Braun products because they combine deceptively simple design with deceptively simple functionality. I bought it because it contrasted with the fussier but often cheaper alternatives. The clock is small, square and completely black apart from fine white numbers, two white hands, a yellow second hand, a black, green-tipped alarm hand and two green buttons for the alarm functions. The alarm gets progressively louder which means I can turn it off before it wakes my partner. It comes with a battery that is simple to fit. The edges of the case are very slightly bevelled, enough to soften the otherwise stark outline. At 2.25 inches square, 1 inch deep, and very light, it's excellent for travelling. I've not used it for long but unless its a broken product the quartz movement should be absolutely accurate. I used super-saver delivery and it came in 48 hours - through the letterbox too. Excellent.

DC Spartan Lite Black/Yellow Shoe (UK9)
DC Spartan Lite Black/Yellow Shoe (UK9)

5.0 out of 5 stars Skateboarding for the elderly, 11 Sept. 2013
I bought my first pair of these in Australia because my sandals had hurt my toes. I bought them because they were the first pair I saw when I sat on a bench in the only sports shop which was open late at night in Manly, which happened to be surf 'n skate. They fitted perfectly and since then I've not had them off my feet. I've worn them for long distance hiking in the Blue Mountains, mooching around the tropical beaches of Queensland (in tropical heat), pounding the hills of Derbyshire, walking the dog and as bedroom slippers. They are tough, versatile, supportive, flexible, cool and ultra comfortable. Dunno what they are like for skateboarding but I bet they are good for that too. I bought this particular pair in the UK simply to 'stock up just in case' (blame a childhood of rationing) my Aussie pair fall apart or if I do decide to take up boarding and need to be presentable.
Size: I simply bought the size of my existing pair...I'm a wide UK 7.5 in a shoe but needed a 9 in the Spartan Lite to accommodate hot foot and swollen toe. The size of this pair and its fitting was consistent with my pair from Oz. They're great. Funeral next week. The black colour will be just right..

Actimove Manus Wrist Brace
Actimove Manus Wrist Brace
Offered by PHYSIOSTORE

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product and exceptional customer support, 28 Aug. 2013
The wrist brace fits very well due to a precise sizing guide. The materials are as to be expected: strong elasticated fabric, firm, adjustable velcro fastenings and a well position 'brace' insert that is unobtrusive but essential and effective.
The product had not arrived several days after the date forecast. I posted an unfavourable comment via the Amazon 'product comment link'. (I had not noticed the 'contact the seller first' caution). Within a short space of time the seller contacted me, took the details and rang me back within half an hour. There had been a cock up, which he had immediately sorted out and arranged for the brace, and an extra one for my inconvenience, to be sent at once. Even without the compensatory extra product I've no hesitation in recommending either the brace itself or the supplier. It's a clearly a company that values highly it's on-line reputation for its goods and especially customer support. I like especially an organisation that is frank and prompt about its lapses. I've made plenty in my time...including in this case not contacting Nightingale supplies first.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4