Profile for John H. Minor > Reviews

John H. Minor

Page: 1 | 2
Love In Venice
Love In Venice

3.0 out of 5 stars Much as I like Andre's music I think that his marketing is confusing ..., 4 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Love In Venice (Audio CD)
I have not bought this as I have seen the DVD shown on German TV. Unfortunately in GB only half the concert is shown. I would have thought that most of Andre's British fans would prefer to have the whole concert, as seen in cinemas rather than half the concert plus a CD.The full concert is available on Andre's website for 19.95 Euro's. It may also be available at Amazon. DE or Ebay, but as neither gives a track listing, and all versions have the same cover, it is impossible to know which version you are buying. It is well worth getting the full concert especially to see 9 year old Amira, who won 'Hollands got talent'. Much as I like Andre's music I think that his marketing is confusing when different versions of the same concert are all sold with the same cover.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2014 12:04 PM GMT

Fifty Railways that Changed the Course of History
Fifty Railways that Changed the Course of History
by Bill Laws

3.0 out of 5 stars Wrong line, 7 Jun. 2014
I was bought this as a present and it is moderately interesting. There is at least one glaring mistake though. According to the illustration Thomas Cook ran the first ever excursion from Leicester to Loughborough on the Great Central Railway. As the Great Central was not built for more than fifty years after the excursion this was quite an acheiivment. The map should show the Midland Railway wit the stations Leicester - Syston - Sileby -Barrow on Soar and Loughborough Midland. I hope this will be corrected in any reprints.

AKG K702 Open-Back Dynamic Reference Headphones
AKG K702 Open-Back Dynamic Reference Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant buy, 26 Mar. 2014
As I could no longer keep patching up the wires on my Grado headphones I thought that I would get a pair of these after reading all the reviews, I am not disappointed. The sound is excellent. From my Andre Rieu CDs and DVDs right through to my collection of ancient 1930s films I find that the sound is excellent and gets better as the phones settle in. The sound is almost equal to the much more expensive Grado phones, and the wiring is much better than the poor Grado wiring. One big advantage is that you can change the lead if it should fail as it just plugs in. Highly recommended.

André & Friends - Live In Maastricht [DVD] [NTSC]
André & Friends - Live In Maastricht [DVD] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ André Rieu

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 7 Nov. 2013
I have been somewhat critical about Andre's last two Maastricht DVDs for being too short and too repetitious, but this one is fantastic and very good value. I am not a great fan of pop music, but I did enjoy both Jermaine Jackson and Trini Lopez. Andre was very brave in bringing a Orchestra of mentally handicapped people to join him, but they were great, and what a marvellous time they had, and so did the audience. Buy this one - its one of the best concert DVDs ever.

Music Of The Night
Music Of The Night

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware of this one, 6 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Music Of The Night (Audio CD)
Be careful when buying this as it is different to the same one as shown on Andre's website. On his site it is advertised as being 2CDs but the one on sale here is a single CD with fewer tracks than the website one. There is a bonus DVD with the english CD which is great value unless like me, you;ve already got it. In my case I would have preferred the two CDs and not had the DVD> Its good as long as you have not already got the DVD.Somewhat annoyed, so only three stars.
Comment Comments (16) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2013 9:04 PM GMT

Night and Day (Cary Crant)
Night and Day (Cary Crant)
Dvd ~ Cary Crant
Offered by Champion Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars Night & Day, 12 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Night and Day (Cary Crant) (DVD)
Good film, though hollywoodised, with music that modern composers cannot match. good service too. For lovers of old musicals this is a good buy.

Home for Christmas [DVD]
Home for Christmas [DVD]
Dvd ~ Andre Rieu

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheesy but very Christmassy, 3 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Home for Christmas [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this programme on German TV a year ago and loved it. Yes it is a bit cheesy and has quite a religious flavour. Nothing wrong with that as Christmas does happen to have a religious significance. Andre himself has strong religious beliefs. This DVD will probably be more popular with the older generation who will love the old carols and songs, a number of which are in English. I loved the english song 'Little toy trains' which I had never heard before. All Andre's shows are shown on TV (usually german) well before they arrive on Sky TV, so all his DVDs were originally on TV, though occasionally there are some differences between the TV transmissions and the DVD release. If you loved Christmas as it used to be before it was dumbed down to stop offending people who probably would'nt be offended anyway, then you'll love this DVD.

Under the Stars [DVD]
Under the Stars [DVD]
Dvd ~ André Rieu

3.0 out of 5 stars good but could be better, 6 July 2012
This review is from: Under the Stars [DVD] (DVD)
I was a little disappointed with this concert. For a start this DVD was at 1 hour 50 minutes a lot shorter than his other Maastricht DVDs. Secondly most of the numbers have been done before, so there is a lot of repetition. This DVD is not cheap and by only seeing a part of the concert I feel short changed. Also there are no extras on this disc.There is some excellent bits as well eg: The Mary Poppins number, also Sir Anthony Hopkins waltz is quite good. I did love the Dutch Group who really brought the show to life. I really believe that if Andre is to retain his popularity he needs to put some of the numbers on his CDs that are never played live into his concerts, and reduce the number of tunes that seem to be in almost every concert. One good thing about this disc is that we did'nt see the trombonist eating a flower. I find this silly rather than funny, and if young children copy this stunt it could be medically serious if they eat the wrong flower.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2013 7:29 PM GMT

Moonlight Serenade
Moonlight Serenade
Offered by Leisurezone

5.0 out of 5 stars Andre's Moonlight Serenade, 31 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Moonlight Serenade (Audio CD)
This was a delayed Xmas gift, but as I already had the DVD from when it first came out I was not too worried. CD is good, DVD is superb. My one criticism is that the solo ice skaters were not seen except for the finale. Andre is proof that light classical music and Operetta is not as dead as many would believe, and what a shame that no British TV company would listen to the many people who have been telling them about Andre for years.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2014 1:29 AM GMT

Forever Vienna
Forever Vienna
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars The magic of Vienna, 15 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Forever Vienna (Audio CD)
I am reviewing a product that I have not actually bought as I have been a fan of Andre's for many years and already have the DVD and tunes on other Andre CDs. Andre's shows are pure magic. The Albert Hall concert was first shown on German TV just after millenium began and was one of the first of many spectacular concerts. With regard to the early one star revue by Mr Yeloff. He must be avery serious person who seems to forget that most classicul music started life as the pop music of its day. The Strauss family were all showmen and the 19th century concerts would be very similar to a modern day Andre concert but without the electronics of course. Many classical concerts are feats of endurance rather than a time of enjoyment. Andre can and does play more serious pieces, and plays them well. Somebody said that there is only two types of music: Good and Bad. That surely applies to all music pop or classic. Andre's style may not please everybody, but
he has succeeded in introducing the delights of Classical music and Operetta to millions of people of all ages throughout thr world. Forever Vienna together with the bonus DVD is fantastic value. Even if you bon't think that you like classical music, you may well change your mind after buying the set.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2014 1:28 AM GMT