Profile for Stan > Reviews

A Dance to the Music of Time: vol.1: Spring
by Anthony Powell
Price: 11.89

4.0 out of 5 stars The start of a long journey......., 31 Dec 2013
Just finished this, and I really like it.
Its the start of a long journey (first 3 novels, in a 12 novel cycle). It's about the life of an upper class protagonist who goes to private school, university and starts making a career for himself in London. Powell could certainly write, and I'm genuinely intrigued to see how the plots, themes and characters develop. I think Powell is a snob, in fact I have little doubt whatsoever he's a snob; the first 3 novels are essentially about class, and specifically the upper class, I think my problem with it is that it assumes that this experience is shared by its readers (privileged childhood/education), and obviously that isn't true, nor was it true at the time, there's nothing wrong with assuming a position/perspective to write from, but it does so in a fashion that I find condescending to anyone who hasn't had that experience. I'm getting more than vague whiffs that anyone not rich isn't worth to much in Powell's estimation. That said, Powell has a lovely observational style - almost reminiscent of 19th century novels where the novel is very self-consciously a novel, he breaks from the plot to make little asides about what it's like to be young, or what it's like to be in a certain situation, and for the most part, I find myself agreeing with him (putting to one side the concentration on upper classes only).

I'm interested in Nicholas as the protagonist - despite the fact he's heavily involved in plots, he seems almost a side-lined character. It's definitely something Powell did on purpose, perhaps to give perspective on his (and by proxy our own) life - but I'm not sure, I'm still too early on to decide

I certainly don't think this is on Proust scale (since it's so frequently compared) I'm not convinced the writing, or the depth is there to allow it to be, but it's not trying to be.

I'm looking forward to reading the cycle, and the numbers of books in no way imposing - they are for the most part, straightforward reads. It's not a 5 star start in my opinion, it's very good, and it scratched the surface of the human experience, however it doesn't (or hasn't at this point) gone beyond that.

I am really enjoying it, it's well written and draws me in, and I was sad to finish. Certainly worth the read.

Gran Torino [DVD] [2009]
Gran Torino [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Clint Eastwood
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT
Price: 2.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great clint film, 14 Mar 2011
This review is from: Gran Torino [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Lovely film, Clint is such a great director, ths film could have been sentimental mush but it really isn't. the idea of redemption (both personal and general) is so well handled, I found it genuingly moving. What I really love about clint is he never casts hiself as a hero. He's a racist and he's bitter. there are good points to his personality and these become clearer as the film progresses, but even any good he does has a certain ambiguity in it's motives, and i never felt he was trying to give himself a halo, it's more of a complex study of this characters idea of morality than that. Like all his other films, it is so perfectly paced. It takes it's time in character building, but never to slow, it leads you in, and then changes the focus. But it's never patronizing, or pompus - for what this fim does it's pefect. I dont think it's his best - but thats rather because of the sheer quality of his films rather than any fault with this film. On top of all the that, a brilliant cast - with Clint puting in another excellent performance. Very very much worth watching.

The plot is very simple - Clint as a polish widower, in an Asian community, but the depth of the film within that framework is what makes it such a worthwhile film

The Complete Recordings
The Complete Recordings
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Never realised he was such a good Lyricist, 22 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Complete Recordings (Audio CD)
I got this a few months ago, and I really like it. As a few other reviewers have mentioned it is a bit of a pain in the way they bunch all the recordings of one song together, although, depending on my mood, i sometimes quite like this - it's a good point of comparison - but it's not ideal for just wanting to listen to RJ rather than study him!

Obviously, as many more in the know reviewers before have said - his guitar playing is amazing, I'm no way, musically talented myself, but even i can hear it's really kind of beyond, and in a way, if you ignore the recording quality, it actually sounds pretty contemporary - i.e, the 'art form' hasn't actually moved on that much since this I don't think. the quality of the instrument and all the rest of it makes it sound much better, but in terms of just playing, its amazing.

The other thing i never realised is what a great lyricist he is! I really like the lyrical structure of the songs. Because we hear the songs everywhere I never paid much attention to the lyrics, but when listening to this it's really brought it home.

Well worth the price, it's an all rounder - i can't imagine many people disliking this
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2014 5:02 PM BST

Pump
Pump
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 4.98

5.0 out of 5 stars TOP!, 20 Feb 2011
This review is from: Pump (Audio CD)
Great Album! what a rock album should be - tight instruments, great vocals, and most of all, fun! it sounds like a bunch of blokes having fun. I love the first 4 tracks - doesn't let off for a second, rest of the album is great to - theres just something i really enjoy about the sequence of the first 4 tracks