Profile for Mr. A. Wilson > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. Wilson

Mr. A. Wilson "Ashley Wilson" (Nottingham, England)

AMD FX8320 Black Edition 8 Core (3.5/4.0GHz, 8MB Level 3 Cache, 8MB Level 2 Cache, Socket AM3+, 125W, Retail Boxed)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gaming and overclocking review, 17 Jan. 2015
If you're a gamer and an avid overclocker, this review is for you! I want to briefly share my experiences and thoughts on this processor to help you make the right choice for you. So lets get started.

Gaming:
Performance here will depend on what type of system you want to build. If you're someone who has a single 1080p monitor and mediocre graphics card (GTX 760, R9 270X or below) you will be happy to know this processor will hold its own in most games at stock speeds. As long as you aren't too bothered about maximising everything and pushing the most FPS possible that is. If that applies to you, then this is an absolute solid buy. It hits the sweet spot between price and performance. Even the most modern games will run buttery smooth and with 8 cores at your disposal, you'll be able to multi-task with ease. This includes tasks like streaming to YouTube or Twitch whilst gaming, to give an example. Just a tip; This processor runs at 1.32V out of the box. With this kind of voltage on the stock heatsink you may find it can get quite hot and noisy especially in the summer. As such, you may actually find undervolting the processor will reduce power consumption and heat whilst keeping the same performance.

Now, if you want to build a kick-ass 1440p multi-monitor, multi-GPU rig then I highly recommend investing in an aftermarket cooling system. Whether you want to go air or watercooled is completely up to you. This is because to get the most out of those types of systems, you're going to need to overclock the processor. I'll talk more about overclocking in the next section. My point being with high-end graphics cards, the processor at stock clocks will most probably be holding the GPU back from performing at its best.

Overclocking:
As all AMD FX chips are unlocked, overclocking is as simple as raising the multiplier. While there is a difference between the FX-8320 and FX-8350 (I'll get to that later), you won't notice this difference until you're overclocking to extremes. So you may want to save yourself a few pennies and buy this processor and simply increase the multiplier to match the same clock speed of the FX-8350. On decent motherboards, you can actually increase the clock speed without increasing the voltage which means you can overclock without increasing heat, thus allowing you to use the stock CPU cooler. On both the MSI 990FX-GD80 and ASRock 990FX Extreme9 boards I was able to increase the clock speed all the way to 4.2GHz on the stock voltage. Increasing the clock speed with allow high end graphics card/s to breath a bit better causing an increase in FPS.

So what is the difference between the FX-8320 and FX-8350 you ask? They're both made with the same architecture, what gives? Well I'm not 100% sure, although I think the difference lies within the capability of each chip. From what I can gather, FX-8320's are clocked lower because they reach their maximum capability faster than the 8350's. This means theoretically when overclocking both chips to their limits, the FX-8350 can either reach a higher clock speed or match the FX-8320's overclock with less effort. The best example of this is if you're shooting for the golden 5GHz clock speed. An FX-8320 may never overclock to that speed, or if it can, it may require a high-end motherboard and cooling solution such as liquid/watercooling. Whereas the FX-8350 may be able to overclock to 5GHz at a lower voltage therefore not needing a watercooling kit.

Verdict:
While I'm happy with the FX-8320 as it does exactly what I need it for, I can't help but notice the current small price gap difference between the FX-8320 and the FX-8350. I purchased this processor at £105 but at the current time of writing this review it is £115. With the FX-8350 being only a tenner more at £125, I would personally be more inclined to opt for that processor as it is a more capable processor. With the higher stock clock speed, even non-overclockers will benefit from the extra money spent.

However, if the price gap between the two is any larger, I would definitely consider the FX-8320 over the FX-8350, it's almost a no-brainer.

Comply T-100 Isolation Earphone Tips - (S/M/L) Black
Comply T-100 Isolation Earphone Tips - (S/M/L) Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing... when it fits.., 3 April 2013
This is the first review I've ever written, so go easy on me. But I hope to provide some informative information for even the fussiest of people. So here goes..

first of all, I bought the 6 pack (3 pairs) of small, medium and large. This is actually the third pack of Comply foam tips I've ever bought. About a year ago I bought a 6 pack of the T-100 tips in medium and hated them, so this time I thought I would opt for all 3 sizes.

When I was initially buying my first pack, I read (and watched on youtube) reviews about which size to get. These reviews all gave the same impression; if you have small ears, opt for the medium pack. So I did since I usually prefer the small silicone tips. Indeed they did fit me, but they gave a horrible 'tinny' sound to the music so a day after I stopped using them and reverted back to the Shure foamies. Oh, I should also note I'm using Shure SE215 earphones. I was left feeling all the hype was for nothing and these Comply tips are nothing to get excited about.

A few months down the line I bought the Comply P series foamies but opted for all 3 sizes and found the sound drastically changes with the size of the eartip. I found the smallest tip gave great sound, but not enough padding to give good comfort. The medium tips gave great comfort, but lacked depth within the music. The largest pair gave too much bass, not enough treble and were fatiguing to wear.

After another few months, I've now reverted back to the T-100's for a second try after learning through the P series. So I opted for all 3 sizes. Until anyone is a regular buyer of Comply foam tips, I would ALWAYS recommend buying a pack of all 3 sizes first! I then tried them on in size order testing with both my laptop and my Cowon X7.

The smallest tips gave a nice all-round balanced sound. The treble wasn't too bright but was neither too recessed. The midrange didn't sound any different than my P series tips and the bass was present, however it didn't extend as well as I would like it. On top of that, comfort was awful as the tips are super small.

I then moved on to the medium pair which I had before, and like before, the sound was terrible. The highs were recessed and the mids were washed out giving it that 'tinny' sound. On top of that, the bass wasn't clean either. I then moved on to the final tips, the biggest of the lot.

The biggest tips turned out to be perfect. They offered supreme comfort without feeling like the foam was expanding to stretch out my ears (like the biggest P series tips were) and the sound was by far the best. I was left blown away as the highs were very spacious offering clarity without being too bright and the high-mids provided great detail and lower-mids were very deep, although a little muddy. This was rectified later by adjusting the EQ. The bass extended far deeper than any of the others and gave a great deal of depth to the music.

The moral of the story then is although the size of the tips is important for fit, it is equally important for the soundstage of the music. Just a slight change of size can drastically change the way your music sounds. Don't go thinking these Comply tips are the bee's knee's as you might not find a size that gives you both comfort and excellent sound quality. It's whatever suits you, but in order to find out which one suits you best, you need to try all the sizes. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase and would recommend people to try these atleast once.