Profile for Caitlin R. Kight > Reviews

Content by Caitlin R. Kight

Caitlin R. Kight (Falmouth, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Lexmark Impact S305 Wireless 3-in-1 Inkjet Printer
Lexmark Impact S305 Wireless 3-in-1 Inkjet Printer

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst printer I've ever owned, 14 Aug 2013
I cannot tell you how much I hate this printer. It has been a hassle from Day 1. It uses atrocious amounts of ink, tells you to replace the cartridges when they're not even empty, has near-constant error messages that prevent you from using all the printer's functions, and, now, claims to have a (nonexistent) printhead issue that cannot be resolved via cleaning and firmware updates. I am never buying a Lexmark again.

Craghoppers Kiwi Mens Short Sleeved Shirt -Oatmeal, Large
Craghoppers Kiwi Mens Short Sleeved Shirt -Oatmeal, Large
Offered by Franticelix Limited
Price: 21.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Typical Craghoppers quality--great!, 30 Jun 2013
My husband and I both buy Craghoppers clothing for everyday wear and for field trips with our biology students. I bought him this shirt to wear with casual summer shorts, but I think it will also be great for hiking trips--it's soft, lightweight, quick-drying, and not prone to wrinkling; good for packing and outdoors adventures. Despite being light, the fabric is still sturdy and high-quality. Great Craghoppers stuff, as always.

Surplus Raw Vintage Mens Short-Sleeved Shirt Cotton Beige
Surplus Raw Vintage Mens Short-Sleeved Shirt Cotton Beige
Offered by Military 1st
Price: 28.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fabric, sizing a bit off, 30 Jun 2013
This shirt is made of great-quality material and feels as though it would withstand a lot of wear and tear. Unfortunately, the cut is quite small. I ordered my husband a L without paying too much attention to the measurements associated with this size, and only too late discovered that the L only goes up to 40" (much smaller than the typical L, which generally fits my husband without fail). I would order a replacement but can't find one from any seller in the correct size. Too bad, because this shirt feels as though it would last a good long time.

Piano Sonata No. 17 in D Minor, Op. 31 No. 2 "Tempest": III. Allegretto
Piano Sonata No. 17 in D Minor, Op. 31 No. 2 "Tempest": III. Allegretto
Price: 0.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful interpretation, 19 Feb 2013
I'm embarrassed to say that I'd never heard "Tempest" until I watched the remake of "Total Recall"--in which Colin Farrell plays this song on the piano. I was quite taken with the melody and searched around for a good version. One of the other reviewers here won me over by saying that Ingrid Fliter plays effortlessly and makes the song sound "smooth like butter" (or something to that effect). I have to say that I completely agree with that assessment; this is a stunning version of the sonata and is full of emotion. Fliter is able to move back and forth between the intense, passionate parts and the lighter, more delicate sections with seemingly no difficulty, and the contrast between the two extremes is lovely. I have listened to this countless times, and although it's true that I would probably love Beethoven in any form, one of the reasons I'm so fond of this version is that I enjoy Fliter's interpretation so much.

Nalgene Travel Kit Med -
Nalgene Travel Kit Med -
Offered by Leisure Lakes Bikes
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for any traveler, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: Nalgene Travel Kit Med -
My parents got me a set of these Nalgene travel bottles several years ago when I began traveling a lot as a postgraduate. I have taken them on countless trips and have found them to be essential. I use them for pretty much everything--shampoo, conditioner, face wash, lotions, nail polish remover, even toothpaste. All my original ones are still in working order even though I've had them for about a decade; I'm buying more to supplement, not to replace. I previously made the mistake of buying a set of non-Nalgene containers that leak over everything; I should have known better than to purchase anything other than the Nalgene brand. There is a reason why scientists use Nalgene products in the lab--they are sturdy and virtually indestructible. These are an excellent investment.

Innerquake
Innerquake
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great surprise, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: Innerquake (MP3 Download)
I purchased this album after hearing "The Fade Out Line" in the movie "Colombiana," and liking it immediately. I didn't really know what I was getting, but the whole album is great. Although each song has its own personality, the overall sound of the album is bluesy and soulful, with moments of rock or even punk thrown in; there is a lot of reverb, which can make many of the songs a bit dark and haunting. Phoebe Killdeer's voice is emotive and powerful, and, overall, completely mesmerizing. Both because of her vocals and the style of music in general, the album reminded me of artists like Anna Calvi and Joan as Police Woman; there's maybe a bit of Cat Power thrown in as well. Since it doesn't exactly have a "mainstream" sound, I could see where this might not be an album for everyone; I, however, found it interesting and immediately appealing.

Aviation at the Edge: 42 Years of Comradeship, Tragedy & Adrenaline Fuelled Life In the Clouds
by Mr John Flexman
Price: 8.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Successful Christmas gift, 11 Feb 2013
My father is interested in travel and aviation, so I thought this would be the perfect Christmas gift for him. Indeed, he thought it was a fascinating account of the author's adventures and said that there were moments during which he felt that he was right there in the cockpit. Although he enjoyed getting a sense of the day-to-day activities associated with the aviation career, my father did feel that some of the details were maybe a bit too specific, and would only be interesting to/understood by a fellow aviator. He also remarked that some of the prose could have used a bit of work, but in general the excitement and intrigue of the stories made up for that minor flaw.

Sun (Amazon Exclusive Version)
Sun (Amazon Exclusive Version)
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, and yet the same, 3 Sep 2012
I read a couple of negative reviews about this album, so I wasn't sure what to expect. This is much closer to the rich, multilayered sound of The Greatest and Jukebox than, say, Moon Pix, but in this case the instruments you'll notice most are drums and synthesizer. Apparently (according to comments Cat Power made in an interview), she wanted to push herself musically and do something she hadn't done before, which is why she deliberately tossed the stuff she'd written on guitar, and sat down with a synthesizer to play around with some new sounds. Thanks to their presence, this IS a different-sounding album. At the same time, though, there is still a darkness to even the most up-tempo songs, so the music is very reminiscent of the "southern gothic" sound of Powers' previous albums. I thought several songs sounded futuristic--like something you might hear in a movie while looking at a dark, rainy, Blade Runner-esque landscape, or perhaps as the soundtrack while someone walks into a dark nightclub.

I have eclectic tastes and so I was quite pleased with the purchase; as soon as I finished listening to the album the first time around, I put it on again. I never thought I'd hear Cat Power playing around with auto tune, but that and all the other electronic bells and whistles work. She's got a great hear for music and, of course, a great voice, which is a combo that is hard to beat.

The Night Circus (Vintage Magic)
The Night Circus (Vintage Magic)
by Erin Morgenstern

4.0 out of 5 stars Magical!, 28 Jan 2012
From the very first page, I was besotted with, and engrossed by, this book. It is, in a word, magical. Also: charming, escapist, fun. It left me feeling very happy (though regretful that I had reached the end). I admit that I anticipated, more or less, how the story would resolve itself, but I still enjoyed Morgenstern's description of the process. I have already bought "The Night Circus" for one friend, lent my copy to another, and recommended it to several more people. It's a fantastic read!

Logic3 i-Station TimeCube Clock Radio for iPhone/iPod - Black
Logic3 i-Station TimeCube Clock Radio for iPhone/iPod - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this purchase!, 2 Mar 2011
After comparing several different iPhone clocks, I decided on this one because so many people lauded its small size and good sound quality. Additionally, other shoppers complained that some of the comparable clocks didn't permit volume adjustment, causing the alarm to go off at a deafening level.

As mentioned by previous reviewers, this really is an amazingly small clock, which is great if you're trying to make space for it on a cluttered bedside table. Even though its overall size is small, the clock face is quite large, so it's easy to read. Some people complained that the light is too bright, but I do not find it to be a problem; the color is dark enough that it's actually quite subtle despite being powerful (if that makes sense). The controls are easy to use--it only took me a couple minutes to set everything up when I first turned it on. Also, the sound quality really is incredible, especially considering how small the speakers are. Another nice feature is that the clock comes with a cradle that fits both iPhone 3's and iPhone 4's. However, if you have any kind of skin on your iPhone, you'll probably have to take it off, as I do, in order to permit the phone to sit flush with the cradle. This is only a minor inconvenience, though, and it certainly isn't enough to make me regret buying this great little device.

Page: 1 | 2