Profile for dealicon > Reviews

Content by dealicon

dealicon (Reading, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Blingles Bling Studio
Blingles Bling Studio
Offered by Mytoyfactory

1.0 out of 5 stars Its fiddly and not built with children in mind!, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: Blingles Bling Studio (Toy)
I bought this one for my 9yr old on her birthday who was obviously was very excited to have it. I was watching while my child was having a play with this and noticed that this is really fiddly stuff to work with. It is poorly built with parts that don't fit nicely and with process that is complicated and children struggle to get it to work as expected. For e.g. the sticky paper roll just does not fit in the cavity provided and this makes the labels very hard to pull out without tearing them. I wonder if these companies test there product with group of children at all to see the suitability. Sadly these companies like these are just after your cash, they have zero interest in their end-user's satisfaction i.e. children. The pack has tinny quantity of the glitter dots while the refills are hard to get and are at rip-off price. Not worth even £8, why spend £20 and see your child getting disappointed when this toy does not work as it should.

Sony 2.1 Channel HT-CT60 Virtual Surround Sound Bar and Subwoofer for TV
Sony 2.1 Channel HT-CT60 Virtual Surround Sound Bar and Subwoofer for TV
Offered by Buyur

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential improvement for the TV., 5 Jan 2013
Before buying this sound bar I did went into local stores to see demo of the much reviewed Orbitsound which was impressive but expensive. But for a moderate budget, this sound bar fits the bill and I bought it from Amazon.

I connected to the TV using the supplied optical cable. The sound output was much better than the TV's build-in speakers and watching movies with this better sound was more enjoyable.

The supplied remote control is of good quality. I managed to sync this sound bar to SKY remote for volume up/down/mute and power on/off. Now the TV, Sky Box and Sound Bar are controlled through the SKY remote. You need to press TV button before operating these controls on the Sky remote though. For more details see [...] The code 2200 worked for me.

The sound bar in length roughly matches a 42" TV's width. This is not as high as the Sony HT-CT260 but it did blocked the IR receiver of my TV. Hence I have placed it on a different shelf of the TV stand. I think the Philips CSS2123 is probably the only budget sound bar that is small enough to be placed in front of the TV.

Overall the sound output is not the best but definitely an improvement to the TV's built-in sound. The surround feature didn't made a lot of difference but the bass effect of the sub-woofer is good. I think a sound system (or sound bar) is essential for the big screen TVs and without a good sound, the big screen TV experience is incomplete.

Update: After using this system for just about a month, I can say that the sound enhancement is not so much noticeable when watching TV shows generally. But when watching movies, it enhances those bass effects nicely, not exactly floor rocking but decent enough. So normally I keep it off and use it when watching movies. You can check some YouTube clips for e.g. Quantum of Solace opening scene (car chase), Batman's appearance with the "the Bat" vehicle in Dark Knight Rises to get the feel of sound enhancement this system can do.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2013 11:58 AM GMT

Am-Tech Heavy Duty Leather Punch Plier
Am-Tech Heavy Duty Leather Punch Plier

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted., 25 Nov 2011
I needed a decent punch plier but spending as little as possible. So I ordered this one and I'm satisfied with the purchase. It is bigger that what appears from the picture. It's not all perfect but does the job well.

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

4.0 out of 5 stars Great device for a convenient reading., 21 Nov 2011
After being sceptical about a Kindle for around a year, finally I bought one for me when the price dropped to £69 for a very short time. After using it for last few months, I must say this device does what it does really well.

What I liked:
1. Reading on this screen is very similar to reading a paper, I did not had any eye strain after longer reading sessions.
2. All purchased books synced with Amazon account, so you read them on your PC, mobile and other supported devices.
3. Using few web browser plug-ins (e.g. Kindle It) you can send any web page article to your Kindle for later reading.
4. The convenience of carrying one device containing your library of books is great.
5. The battery goes on a number of days in a single charge.

What I disliked:
1. Support for PDF files is not useful at all.
2. Web Browser - Why bother putting it?
3. The price of Kindle books most of the times is very similar to paperback, so no money saving there.
4. The screen is bit small, good for fiction books but not for technical books with code, workflows and diagrams.

OK, I'm not fancy about its built in web browser and other little things which are rather pain to use. But I'm pleased to find its main feature - reading is done well. Overall I'm happy with my purchase and can say Kindle got me back into reading.

Hoya 52 mm HMC Haze UV Screw-in Filter
Hoya 52 mm HMC Haze UV Screw-in Filter

5.0 out of 5 stars Good built quality for lens protection, 21 Nov 2011
I purchased Hoya HMC filter for my Nikon SLR kit lens. It has a good build quality and definitely does not look cheapish. I have not seen any noticeable improvement in picture quality with this filter but I keep it always on the lens to protect its coating and glass.

Samsung 8GB Class 10 SDHC Extreme Speed Card
Samsung 8GB Class 10 SDHC Extreme Speed Card
Offered by Modern-Tech

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value and performance for the price., 21 Nov 2011
I ordered this for my SLR camera and I love it. It looks great, solid and performs very well. I would recommend it for any 10MP+ digital camera and the difference is noticeable. Like always Amazon's service is top class as it arrived in time no hassles.

Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit (16.2MP) 3 inch LCD
Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit (16.2MP) 3 inch LCD
Offered by Carmarthen Cameras

3.0 out of 5 stars Great picture quality, very poor battery for practical use., 16 Oct 2011
I purchased a D5100 from a specialist photography store since the price was almost same and basically I can have it now! I upgraded to D5100 from a humble D40, hence I have compared it to D40 for most of the part.

While D5100's low light performance is outstanding thanks to it's top class sensor, its battery is a major flaw in my opinion when compared with the battery of D40.

The D40 had EN-EL9 (1000mAh) battery while D5100 has EN-EL14 (1030mAh). Considering the power hungry features added to D5100 compared to D40 like Live View, 3D tracking auto-focus, Larger & High-Res LCD, the additional 30mAh is rather poor upgrade.

The swivel screen is great for pictures from difficult angles, I am used to this feature on my 6 year old Canon A610 quiet a lot. Using this swivel feature requires Live View. Also one of the selling feature called 1080p movie record mode itself works only in Live View. But... Live View requires almost 4 times that of normal power from battery. Also the autofocus implementation in live view is a joke, a kids camera can focus faster!

While I was able to shoot around 800 pictures with my D40 in single charge, I'm only able to shoot about 200 photos with the D5100 and couple of 2 min videos at the most and its starts showing RED indicator!

Nikon gave D5100 the same sensor and same high resolution screen as D7000 but not the same EN-EL15 (1900mAh) battery. Why? Probably Nikon wants people to shell out £40 for additional battery. Does it cost more than £40 to put EN-EL15 in D5100 instead? probably not. Come on Nikon even smart-phones these days have more power than 1030mAh packed in. The features you are selling in D5100 are NOT backed by a good battery.

Nikon D5100's EN-EL14 battery is a serious letdown, for this reason I have returned my D5100 back to where it came from. I'll instead go for D3100 or wait for D3200!

UPDATE: The other day I purchased Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray smartphone and it has 1500mAh battery packed inside its slim body. Shame on you Nikon!
Comment Comments (52) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2013 8:07 PM BST

Nikon DK-20 Eyepiece Cup
Nikon DK-20 Eyepiece Cup

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my Nikon, 8 July 2011
This review is from: Nikon DK-20 Eyepiece Cup (Camera)
Having lost the original eye piece cap on my D40, I was looking for a genuine replacement. It was delivered in time and was good Nikon quality.

Ex-Pro® 1.8m 3.5mm Angle 90 Degree Stereo to 3.5mm straight connection. Suitable for connecting MP3 players / iPods to Stereo Systems, in car systems etc..
Offered by ExpressPro

3.0 out of 5 stars Good build quality, poor sound output quality., 8 July 2011
I purchased this to provide input of my phone to iPod docking station and it arrived in time. However the sound quality it carried was not good enough and had noise. I would not recommend this cable.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item with reasonable price., 8 July 2011
I had purchased this for my nearly 4 years old Dell Inspiron 6400. It was well packaged as works perfectly well. Why pay £35 to Dell?

Page: 1 | 2