ARRAY(0xadc772b8)

HAWKINS COUNTRYSIDE WOOLMIX TWEED FLAT CAP - 58/Medium
Offered by ROBERT SMITH ROWAN EXPRESS HATS
Price: 6.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cap!, 29 Nov 2013
It's lined with some padding and seems well made - and if you measure your head circumference the size is spot on. My one star drop is because it feels quite light (I'd prefer it to be heavier on my head) and the shape doesn't seem 100% cut right - not that I'm really complaining or anything, it's not terrible by any stretch of the imagination, and I guess you get what you pay for. But, if I didn't mention it then there wouldn't be any point in writing an honest review. Really I'd like to drop it only half a star but can't.

I'd still recommend it though. For the money (I paid around 6 with free postage) you can't really ask for more. It's really quite comfortable and keeps your head nice and warm - but there are two little vent holes under the peak to allow your head to breathe and prevent sweating.

Now, where are my wellies...

York Exercise Mat
York Exercise Mat
Price: 11.30

3.0 out of 5 stars Low density sponge, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: York Exercise Mat (Sports)
This is not what I thought it would be like. I thought it would be that high-density foam that you get in every gym, but it's not. It's a very low density foam which offers very little comfort or support for your coccyx and the surface is the "shiny" kind so you tend to slip around a bit - especially if you're building up a sweat.

In its favour, there are numerous stretching exercises printed directly onto the front and rear of the mat which can serve as a mental nudge to stretch if you're inclined to forget. Other than that, I wouldn't recommend it. In fact, I gave mine away.

CTEK CTE-MXS5.0 5A 12V Car Battery Charger (Without automatic temperature compensation) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by MDS Battery Ltd
Price: 64.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, and tiny!, 29 Nov 2013
I'm so glad I opted for this over a "conventional" charger such as the large transformer-type you find in Halfords etc. It's so portable it's unreal and the charge indicators are really useful in letting you know what part of the charge cycle the device is on - there's even a "revive" feature which is designed to bring back batteries from near death.

Comes with its own little carry pouch and I just keep it in the car now as it takes up hardly any room.

Highly recommended.

Weller BP860CEU 8W / 11W Battery Soldering Iron
Weller BP860CEU 8W / 11W Battery Soldering Iron
Price: 28.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Heats up quickly and gets nice and hot, 29 Nov 2013
I was in doubt of whether this could actually heat up to melt solder let alone in this decade, but it sure does. It heats up extremely quickly and gets plenty hot too. Comes in a nice plastic carry box with a spare tip - my only gripe is that the other tip is identical. They're both the pointy kind. It would have been nice if one was pointy and the other flat as that's generally the tip I prefer when soldering.

Oh, and the other thing is that the on/off switch is a little confusing to my ickle brain. I thought I was putting it on HI when in fact I was turning it off. It's clear now, but when I first saw it I was a bit confused. It's easily done these days.

Vango Stainless Steel Camping Kettle With Folding Handle
Vango Stainless Steel Camping Kettle With Folding Handle
Price: 11.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality and compact, 29 Nov 2013
What more can you say - it's extremely well made. The hinge of the lid is not loose so it stays upright when told to and the spout's hinge is sprung so that it stays open when told to. Really nice.

1.6L is quite small though but that's all you really need unless you plan on making bowls of soup for a tribe. I think there's 2L version in which case.

Audio Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Professional Headphones - Red
Audio Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Professional Headphones - Red
Offered by Discount +
Price: 85.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful to LISTEN to music, 29 Nov 2013
I will start this off by saying that I own and use AKG K701, AKG K271, Sennheiser hd25-1 II, Audio Technica AD700, Klipsch Image X10 and a handful of "other" headphones and I also own a Centrance DACport headphone amp. I will also say that I'm a musician and record my own music, but I also enjoy listening to music, and that's something completely different from a headphone point of view.

OK, now with that out of the way I can honestly say that I enjoyed listening through these headphones immediately. Plugged straight into an iPod (not through my headphone amp) they were very easy to drive and sounded fantastic even with 256Kb AAC files - this cannot be said of the K701 which sound cold in comparison.

Lots of nice warm bass but not in an unbalanced way. Listen to Hunter and Jóga off of Björk's Homogenic and the palate of sounds painted is rich and compelling. One of those moments when you feel genuinely surprised and pleased without thinking "oh I wish there were more bass" or "I wish the treble weren't so harsh" or "I wish the mid weren't so pronounced" etc. Without thinking, you're just immersed in the music leaving technicalities behind.

I haven't used them in the studio yet, but will do, so can't comment on what they'd be like from a mixing point of view, but to be honest I don't really care - I have plenty of headphones that I use for that purpose as it is, but they don't necessarily play nicely when you just want to LISTEN to the music. These do.

I can't comment on whether any playing-in will benefit them, I suspect not because from the second they were plugged in they just sounded like headphones should sound - engaging. Oh, and they're comfy too - the oval ear pieces fit nicely over my ears so you don't end up with "squashed ear" pain.

I can't recommend them enough from a listening point of view - and that's all this review is currently based on. I'll updated it in future after some studio time should I feel it needs updating.

Oh, and they're great in red! A nice change from the usual black cans of the studio. :-)

Elixir 92/8 Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Sets Ultra-Thin Nanoweb Coating - Light-medium (0.012 - 0.056)
Price: 11.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Previously used D'Addario phosphor bronze custom lights..., 27 Nov 2013
Having used D'Addario phosphor bronze custom light strings for years, I thought I'd finally give these Elixir ones a go to see if they really do live up to their long-lasting sound and clean tone. Well, in a word, they do. OK, that's two words, but still.

Excellent strings. Silky smooth to play - which is a little weird at first, but once you're used to not having that resistance when you move across the fret, going back to "normal" strings just feels a little "cheap" in comparison.

They have a similar tone to the D'Addario's when the D'Addario's are fresh on, but retain that tone for (seemingly) forever. I've had them on the guitar for a couple of months now and they still sound and play great whence by now I would have easily put another set of D'Addario on.

They're not cheap, by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm going to see if I can find a 3-pack or something online now that I know how great they are - I only bought this one set to try out.

Definitely worth the extra cost, all the same.

LED Lenser P2BM Professional Key-Ring Torch (Black) - Gift Box
LED Lenser P2BM Professional Key-Ring Torch (Black) - Gift Box
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Not QUITE as bright as the P3BM, but close, 27 Nov 2013
I bought a P3BM for myself the other day and was so impressed with it I bought one of these for a friend of mine as I thought it would be a lot smaller. In actuality it's the same length as the P3M, just svelter. I personally prefer the P3M as the front element doesn't come away from the main unit when you focus the beam, but that's just my preference over them both, it doesn't mean this is any worse. Not at all.

Any torch that can be that bright from a single AAA battery and as well made deserves a 5-star review. As simple as that. If you don't mind the little extra bulk I'd go with the P3M, but if you want something a little bit more discreet this is an excellent torch and you won't be disappointed.

ClimeMET CM7048 Digital Wireless Weather Station - Monitors Indoor & Outdoor Min/Max Temperature. Perfect gift for any Weather Enthusiast.
Offered by The UK Weather Store
Price: 45.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb bit of kit, 27 Nov 2013
From the second I put the batteries in the transceiver and the main unit, it got to work. It did take a while for both temperatures to settle though, and for a while they were displaying different temperatures even though they were right next to each other(!). But, after they settled all was well.

Very easy to use, clear display, and also has a backlight which I wasn't aware of - not that it's needed really, I mean unless you're in the habit of checking the temperature in the dark.

Seems very well made too. Time will tell how it fares over the long run, but for now, it's faultless.

LED Lenser P3BM Professional Key Ring Torch (Black) - Test It Pack
LED Lenser P3BM Professional Key Ring Torch (Black) - Test It Pack
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my goodness..., 25 Nov 2013
I wanted a keyring torch with a button to replace the twist-on type I had previously - which used to short circuit on my keys and turn itself on in my pocket(!). So, I thought I may as well get something a little bigger and hopefully a little brighter as the other one was one carrot short of 20/20 in the dark.

This has JUST arrived and it is SO good, I had to immediately write a review.

It's not as big as I thought it would be - the pictures are misleading. Certainly not too big to carry on your keys, although it's at the upper end of what you'd want to carry, size-wise. Very light (no pun intended), takes a single AAA battery (supplied), and... dear loard is it bright.

It's 2pm here and bright in the house but the torch can be clearly seen on when pointed at the wall, especially when focused to a sharp circle. I tried my other one side by side and you can't even see the light coming off of that one in the day! I am supremely happy.

I have it on my car keys now but I may put the clip on it if I can figure out how to put it on - seems quite a tight fit.

Anyway, if you want a torch that you can see from the moon and will also fit on your keys, this is it. I think there's an even smaller one but I'm more than happy with this. I think I shall be buying people these for chrimblemas...!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10