Profile for Marko Darko > Reviews

Tiger Guitar Footstool - Black
Tiger Guitar Footstool - Black
Offered by DJM Music Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Sturdy and great value., 2 Mar. 2015
Excellent. I was a bit unsure about buying it because there are sooooo many footstools on the market and some 3 times the price of this, but this is an excellent footstool. Sturdy, and the joints are tight which means the legs don't flop if you pick it up. Just about to place an order for a second one for one of my students.

Golden Gate GR1026W Guitar Saddle
Golden Gate GR1026W Guitar Saddle

5.0 out of 5 stars Very hard. Excellent quality., 2 Mar. 2015
Incredibly hard bone. Be prepared to use a lot of elbow grease in getting it shaped! :-)

Andoer Acoustic 5-Band EQ Equalizer Guitar Preamp Piezo Pickup LCD Tuner
Andoer Acoustic 5-Band EQ Equalizer Guitar Preamp Piezo Pickup LCD Tuner
Offered by Andoer

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb quality for the price. How's your DIY?, 12 Jan. 2015
I'll start this review by saying that I own several guitars with expensive preamps, including two high-end Fishmans and a nice LR Baggs, just in case you pre-emptively paint a picture of me as not knowing what a good setup should sound like. ;-)

I bought this (for £10.95 at time of purchase) to install into my son's Fender jumbo so he could start gigging. I had initially looked at more expensive options, including 2nd hand Fishmans etc but after reading all the glowing reviews on Amazon I decided to give this one a try as a punt, and if it was rubbish fit a more expensive one in the same place. Hopefully.

Well, it's certainly NOT rubbish! Once fitted (see notes below) it worked faultlessly. I plugged it into my acoustic amp (Marshall AS50D) and hey presto, a nice sounding guitar tone emerged. Well, once I'd adjusted the EQ that is...

I had put new Elixir strings on the jumbo (which sound bright anyway) but even so the pre amp itself is quite bright and I had to drop the treble on the EQ and raise the bass to accommodate that. But once done it sounded really lovely.

No background noise or anything unexpected out of the preamp either. It's really quite amazing that you get all of this - including the piezo(!) - for around a tenner.

The tuner also works well and seems quite accurate although my only gripe with the entire package (if I'm even allowed one for the price) is that the 3 LEDs that designate flat-in tune-sharp (which are in addition to the backlit analogue-style meter) are really bright and angled in such a way that they shine right into your eyes. Once you know this however it's a simple case of moving your head to one side when tuning up.

Personally I think the backlit meter would have been enough but I guess they're trying to cater for all types of preferences.

So, if you're looking to fit a preamp/tuner and piezo into your guitar, look no further, because unless you're looking for a tone modelling preamp, with the right EQ this little gem can punch way above its weight. My son even did a small informal gig on New Year's Eve with it, running through a Yamaha Stagepas 500 PA system so I can vouch that it sounds good in a gig environment too. Again, with the right EQ. Feedback was minimal and only when he was in close proximity to the speakers.

Highly recommended. If you don't mind hacking up a guitar that is...

FITTING THE UNIT
--------------------------------------
Ok, I will be blunt. This is not for the faint hearted. I wouldn't even attempt this unless you're quite advanced in your woodworking skills because it involves cutting two fairly large holes in your guitar - one for the preamp and the other for the XLR/Jack plate, and the preamp cutout needs careful marking as its curved.

Additionally you need to drill a small hole under your saddle for the piezo wire to push through, and if you're really unlucky (as in my case) you'll also need to route the bridge by the depth of the piezo...

The piezo itself is around 3mm thick. Now, I had planned on just being able to remove 3mm from the underside of the saddle to equalise that, however, the bridge on the Fender is thinner on one end than the other meaning that with the piezo installed, the saddle actually sat proud on the high E side. So the only option was to create a jig and carefully route the bridge with a 3mm router bit. Hairy stuff! Turned out fine in the end, but my advice would be this...

DRILL THE HOLE FOR THE PIEZO LEAD FIRST.

Fit the piezo and then put the saddle on top and see if you'll be able to get away with just removing 3mm from the underside of the saddle.

If you fit the preamp and the XLR/Jack plate FIRST then you're pretty much commited by that point to route the bridge if it needs it, but if you fit the PIEZO first, then you can always remove it and put your saddle back as it was and there's no harm done if you're not feeling brave. :-)

Enjoy!

Adam Hall 8-way mono jack to mono jack studio cable loom 3m
Adam Hall 8-way mono jack to mono jack studio cable loom 3m
Offered by Tone Deaf Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Used for recording my TD30 via direct outs, 3 May 2014
Excellent cable. I normally make my own Neutrik cables but for £14.99 for 16 jacks AND the cable I just couldn't pass this up as a punt, and I'm glad I didn't as it's just what I needed.

Low noise, colour-coded (which is a BIG help) and well made from what I can tell. Connected my TD30's 8 x direct outs to my Focusrite Scarlett 18i8's inputs and additionally I connected the master outs via S/PDIF so I was able to record 10 channels simultaneously on Logic Pro X without a hitch.

Nice space-saving size too compared to 8 individual jack-jack leads. Bargain.

Alphason Bentley Leather Chair - Cream
Alphason Bentley Leather Chair - Cream

2.0 out of 5 stars Two arrived damaged, 25 April 2014
Be careful when you receive the item to look over it for defects. The first one that arrived had frayed stitching and deep gouges in the arm rests - and incidentally, the "metal" of the arm rests is actually silver-sprayed plastic(!).

Suffice to say, I sent that one back.

The second one arrived today and that too had defects in the arm rests! Everything else was fine - the "leather" on the chair back and bottom, the mechanics etc. Not a scratch or blemish. But, either it's the way they package the arm rests (the boxes arrived undamaged on both occasions) or whomever is making the arm rests at the factory is on day one of a YTS placement.

I'm personally not going to bother with ordering a replacement and looking for something else instead…

Very disappointed as the chair looks fab otherwise.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cap!, 29 Nov. 2013
It's lined with some padding and seems well made - and if you measure your head circumference the size is spot on. My one star drop is because it feels quite light (I'd prefer it to be heavier on my head) and the shape doesn't seem 100% cut right - not that I'm really complaining or anything, it's not terrible by any stretch of the imagination, and I guess you get what you pay for. But, if I didn't mention it then there wouldn't be any point in writing an honest review. Really I'd like to drop it only half a star but can't.

I'd still recommend it though. For the money (I paid around £6 with free postage) you can't really ask for more. It's really quite comfortable and keeps your head nice and warm - but there are two little vent holes under the peak to allow your head to breathe and prevent sweating.

Now, where are my wellies...

York Exercise Mat
York Exercise Mat

3.0 out of 5 stars Low density sponge, 29 Nov. 2013
This review is from: York Exercise Mat (Sports)
This is not what I thought it would be like. I thought it would be that high-density foam that you get in every gym, but it's not. It's a very low density foam which offers very little comfort or support for your coccyx and the surface is the "shiny" kind so you tend to slip around a bit - especially if you're building up a sweat.

In its favour, there are numerous stretching exercises printed directly onto the front and rear of the mat which can serve as a mental nudge to stretch if you're inclined to forget. Other than that, I wouldn't recommend it. In fact, I gave mine away.

CTEK CTE-MXS5.0 5A 12V Car Battery Charger (Without automatic temperature compensation)
Offered by Auto-Accessorize

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, and tiny!, 29 Nov. 2013
I'm so glad I opted for this over a "conventional" charger such as the large transformer-type you find in Halfords etc. It's so portable it's unreal and the charge indicators are really useful in letting you know what part of the charge cycle the device is on - there's even a "revive" feature which is designed to bring back batteries from near death.

Comes with its own little carry pouch and I just keep it in the car now as it takes up hardly any room.

Highly recommended.

Weller BP860CEU 8W / 11W Battery Soldering Iron
Weller BP860CEU 8W / 11W Battery Soldering Iron
Offered by kleinemaeuse Preise inkl.MwSt

5.0 out of 5 stars Heats up quickly and gets nice and hot, 29 Nov. 2013
I was in doubt of whether this could actually heat up to melt solder let alone in this decade, but it sure does. It heats up extremely quickly and gets plenty hot too. Comes in a nice plastic carry box with a spare tip - my only gripe is that the other tip is identical. They're both the pointy kind. It would have been nice if one was pointy and the other flat as that's generally the tip I prefer when soldering.

Oh, and the other thing is that the on/off switch is a little confusing to my ickle brain. I thought I was putting it on HI when in fact I was turning it off. It's clear now, but when I first saw it I was a bit confused. It's easily done these days.

Vango Stainless Steel Camping Kettle With Folding Handle
Vango Stainless Steel Camping Kettle With Folding Handle

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality and compact, 29 Nov. 2013
What more can you say - it's extremely well made. The hinge of the lid is not loose so it stays upright when told to and the spout's hinge is sprung so that it stays open when told to. Really nice.

1.6L is quite small though but that's all you really need unless you plan on making bowls of soup for a tribe. I think there's 2L version in which case.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10