Profile for Mr. Peter J. Regelous > Reviews

Content by Mr. Peter J. R...

Mr. Peter J. Regelous "peterkingsinger" (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Look Mummy I'm Dancing
Look Mummy I'm Dancing
by Robert Marlowe

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful and interesting read!, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: Look Mummy I'm Dancing (Paperback)
I had just finished reading Julian Clary's auto-biography when my new purchase of Robert Marlowe's book arrived. At completely different ends of the spectrum, I didn't know what I would make of Robert's approach to writing and initially thought that I'd just dip in and out of his work. How wrong I was! This book is a fascinating read for anyone with an interest in light entertainment.

I met and auditioned for Robert Marlowe at the Theatre Royal in Norwich when he was casting for his Cromer "End of the Pier Show" in the 1990's. I didn't get the job but I did get the sense that here was a man who cared deeply about his profession and also for those of us who had "jumped shipped" from ordinary life to be part of it.

Robert's humanity comes shining through in his auto-biography. Unlike so many today who just want to be "famous" he just wanted to be top of his profession and in that he surely succeeded.

Bradley Walsh, writing the forward for the book says that if it hadn't been for Robert, he doesn't think he would be where he is now.

Some weeks later after failing my audition for Robert's show, I was surprised to receive a hand written letter from him. In it he encouraged me to keep striving to be the best that I could be which is what I did.

Some 20 odd years later I look back on my career and know that I became the best that I could be and it was because of people I met along the way like Robert and the ever present support of my wife who helped me achieve that.

In an industry which is notorious for its dog eat dog attitude, Robert Marlowe was one of the good guys! In his book he will tell you straight away that his is not a warts and all book - that he doesn't dish the dirt. How refreshing that is in todays society! Instead you will find in this book a genuine piece of social history.

How sad that another reviewer has said that this book is of no relevance and of little interest and that it must be self published to have got into print. I don't know if it is but does it really matter? This book in a damn good read and I recommend it highly.

First & Never Let Her Go & Goodbye Girl & Falling In Love Again
First & Never Let Her Go & Goodbye Girl & Falling In Love Again

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely first class!, 29 Oct 2013
Along with James Griffin's recent cd release, David's double offering offers great value at an unbeatable price. All the Bread members learnt their craft in the 50's and 60's - no overnight X Factor type of stardom for them - and it really shows. Each song on this cd is a superbly crafted slice of pure pop and if one or two are not quite "on the money" as other reviewers have suggested, no matter, they are still way above what most other artistes turn out these days! The tracks also sound as fresh today as they did when first released. Congratulations to all concerned.

Just Like Yesterday: The Solo Anthology 1974-77
Just Like Yesterday: The Solo Anthology 1974-77

5.0 out of 5 stars A Long Overdue Gem of a Recording, 28 Oct 2013
A beautiful set of songs on this CD from a very, very, talented singer/songwriter. I had both the albums on vinyl previously but they got mislaid so to be able to purchase them again is terrific.

Sometimes you buy a re-issue and the sound is very dated but not so with this recording. James was well and truly ahead of his time and the sound on the cd is such that it could have been recorded yesterday.

I've been a BREAD fan since Kenny Everitt played Dismal Day on his radio show one morning and which resulted in me going straight out to buy the album it was from. It's a pity that the group split so early on but they left a fine legacy of music and James and David Gates continued to make a great contribution to the music scene as solo artistes.

In the mid-nineties my wife and I saw BREAD at the Brentwood Centre in Essex when they were undertaking their reunion tour and we've rarely seen an act with such professionalism, talent and charisma. We were in awe of the group and consider ourselves so fortunate to have witnessed what was to be their last time together.

How sad that out of the four members, just David Gates survives and of course Robb Royer who left shortly after they formed but continued a working association with them.

James Griffin was a great artiste and a nice man from all accounts AND this is a great album!

Love In Portofino
Love In Portofino

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth the £9.99 BUT.................!, 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: Love In Portofino (Audio CD)
Whilst this cd/dvd package is clearly worth the cover price I can't help but think that in a couple of months time there will be a "deluxe" version out with the full filmed concert from Portofino. Given that Andrea's last cd was only released a short time ago, to me, this "new" recording just seems like a "taster" to get people hooked on the dvd so that they will buy the full version when it comes out, as it will. It's also a very good way of making more money in the process.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 5, 2013 4:47 AM GMT

Song for Marion [DVD] [2012]
Song for Marion [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Gemma Arterton

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film!, 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: Song for Marion [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
My wife and I saw this film when it was first shown at our local cinema. Great storyline, superbly acted and well directed. We're so pleased it's now available on DVD, however, at the moment, our local supermarket is advertising it for sale at £9.00!

The Musicals Unplugged
The Musicals Unplugged

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gem of a Recording, 3 May 2013
This review is from: The Musicals Unplugged (Audio CD)
I came upon this cd whilst visiting High Barn which is a community music venue situated in Great Bardfield in rural Essex.

For me, this is arguably the best cd Dave Willetts has recorded. The arrangements are first rate, Dave is in very good voice and the sound quality is second to none.

Whilst many singers just put a new album of covers out every three months or so without too much thought, Dave and the Team at High Barn really seem to have put a lot of time and effort into making this cd a unique music experience.

Treat yourself and buy this cd from either Amazon or High Barn and enjoy listening to a really good album.

Les Misérables [DVD] [2012]
Les Misérables [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Hugh Jackman

3.0 out of 5 stars Sad to say but a bit of a disappointment, 28 Feb 2013
This review is from: Les Misérables [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
A well made an inventive film that was worth the price of the cinema ticket, but for me was let down by the casting. Comparison with the stage production is inevitable and to be honest some of those who were in the 25th Anniversary Concert should have been made first choice for the film above the likes of Russell Crowe (who seemed too scared and overwhelmed by his role)and The Thenardiers (Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen) whose performances lacked the energy of their stage counterparts.

Vocally, with the exception of Ann Hathaway, the performances throughout the film didn't sound great to me but that could have been down to the mixing and production although in Russell Crowe's case it proved that his part was too big for him

I can't help thinking that Cameron Mackintosh was casting big names for his masterpiece to increase the appeal of Les Mis to an even bigger audience, much in the same way that he did when he cast Nick Jonas for the O2 show who subsequently gave a very average performance as Marius.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2013 12:01 AM BST

An Immaculate Mistake: Scenes from Childhood and Beyond
An Immaculate Mistake: Scenes from Childhood and Beyond
by Paul Bailey

4.0 out of 5 stars slightly disappointing but still a reasonable read, 17 Sep 2012
I perhaps made the mistake of reading Paul Bailey's later memoir, It's A Dog's Life before reading this one. Inevitably, the older we all get, the more we will have done with our lives and so his later volume was perhaps always going to be more interesting than the first. That aside, his move both physically and mentally through the social tiers that continue to inhabit and constrict our society seems quite remarkable and thoroughly deserved. Well worth a read.

A Dog's Life
A Dog's Life
by Paul Bailey

5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed and cried in equal measure!, 18 Aug 2012
This review is from: A Dog's Life (Paperback)
I'd not come across Paul Bailey before and must admit that I bought this volume simply on a whim because of the attractive front cover and the book title! I have to say that it has quickly become one of my favourite all time books that I have read and re-read. The characters that the author meets on his travels are written about with such charm, wit and panache that you turn to the next page thinking you actually know them. I've rarely come across a person with such intelligence and empathy for the people he writes about. Go and buy this book - you will not regret it.

Growing into Silence
Growing into Silence
by Pedro Arrupe

5.0 out of 5 stars A first rate book on the power of silence, 13 Aug 2012
This review is from: Growing into Silence (Paperback)
For about 18 months or so my wife and I have been treading tentative steps towards God with the help of silent prayer. I wish I could say we've cracked it but obviously we haven't! However, during our quiet times there are occasional moments when we glimpse, if only for a few seconds, the beauty of God and his Creation.

Having just purchased the book, "Growing Into Silence" we know it can only assist us along the very long path that we have still to travel. Although a small volume, it has much to commend it and the beautiful illustrations enhance the written content. A book to refer to time and time again so don't hesitate, buy it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4