Profile for RacheP > Reviews

RacheP

The Silver Child
The Silver Child

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, original and well written., 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Silver Child (Kindle Edition)
I am reading this book with my 10 year old daughter, and it's captivating. It's well written, with excellent vocabulary, challenging and stretching her. The situation this group of children find themselves in is creepy, and uncomfortable, but their relationships are heart-warming. It is a book about children, for children and excellently captures the simplicity of a child's reaction to adversity - no painful over-analysing!
We've yet to finish reading, and I'm hoping the end meets expectations...

Stunted Boy's Stunt Scooter
Stunted Boy's Stunt Scooter

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy!, 11 Mar 2013
My son bought this for himself to replace a rickety OzzBozz. He's very happy with it. It's very sturdy - he broke his cheapy OzzBozz jumping down steps, and this is holding up extremely well to the punishment he gives it. My only criticism is that the handle height is not adjustable. I'm 5'2" and feel quite hunched, and he isn't much shorter than me. Maybe I'm just too old and shouldn't be playing on it!
It was delivered very quickly, and a really good price.

Lotus Women's Boston Black Ankle Boots 4919 3 UK
Lotus Women's Boston Black Ankle Boots 4919 3 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fast delivery; lovely boots., 11 Mar 2013
The boots were a very good price, and delivered very quickly. I have size 2.5 - size 3 E width feet, and often find size 3s a little large and too narrow, but these fit perfectly. Very comfortable. Happy shopper!

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting meandering yarn..., 22 Oct 2012
I love a story that trots along, meandering this way and that, goes off at little tangents, then gently finds it's way back, and this is one of them. Funny, fantastical and thoughtful, this story unfolds in a very unexpected way and is a delight to read. I thoroughly recommend it.

Stonemouth
Stonemouth

4.0 out of 5 stars Tension, intrigue & drama, 13 Sep 2012
This review is from: Stonemouth (Kindle Edition)
Iain Banks, once again, weaves a tension-filled, intriguing story. He has a formula that works time and again, and if you enjoyed Crow Road and Complicity, you'll love this. The characters are always genuine and rarely predictable, and his books' climaxes are always satisfying. His characters' background stories evoke such strong memories of childhood and how easy it is to make poor choices, that I find I can often forgive their adult vileness.
I admit I am a huge fan of Iain Banks, and also love his sci-fi novels, but I haven't enjoyed all of his work, so can be trusted. If you have a Kindle, download the sample - you'll want to read more...