Profile for C. Watson > Reviews

Content by C. Watson

C. Watson (Highlands, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Forever Us (Forever Trilogy, #3)
Forever Us (Forever Trilogy, #3)

1.0 out of 5 stars Bored now..., 26 Mar. 2015
I would love to know what all the 5 star reviewers were reading. I have given up on this book as it is such a struggle. The plot is all over the place with every cliche going. The writing is amateurish and the story so predictable it became a chore to read. I am 95% through the book and really don't give two hoots about a single character.

The Next Always: Book 1 of the Inn at Boonsboro Trilogy
The Next Always: Book 1 of the Inn at Boonsboro Trilogy
by Nora Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars A clever piece of advertising!, 7 Nov. 2011
I don't mind paying £6.99 to download a good book on my Kindle and Nora Roberts usually deliveres. I do, however, begrudge paying £6.99 for a hotel brochure.
The storyline with this book seems incidental, the hotel is the "wanna be" star. Room discriptions go into more detail than we really need to know. Mini sub plots on tiles and fencing, I am sure were all very important to Ms Roberts at the time, but really are not needed.
I am sure I am not the only one who has now visited the Boonsboro Inn website and had a peek around. Looked at the pictures of the rooms and compared them too the book. Looked at the tarriff and decided "Nope, I can't afford it". But, I am equally sure there are many more who can and will go stay in Nora's hotel on the back of this book.
So, as a story, it's okay. As a clever piece of advertising, it is ingenious!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2012 5:15 PM BST

Hunted: 5/6 (House of Night)
Hunted: 5/6 (House of Night)
by Kristin Cast

3.0 out of 5 stars Starting to struggle!, 1 Dec. 2009
I have been enjoying this series of books. I find PC and Kristin's style of writting fast paced and easy to read.

But with book five I am really starting to struggle. I find myself yelling at Zoey.."JUST PICK ONE!!!" She keeps refering to herself as a 'ho' and I am begining to agree. To have feeling for so many different boys/men in the space of a few weeks is getting beyond belief.

I am on page 207 and after racing through books 1-4 in four days, this one is becoming a little bit too much effort. When you get to the stage where you are wishing the heroine did get killed... just to shut up her moaning, it may be time to leave the series behind, which is a shame as book six is in the post.

As for the twins, they make me feel a bit nauseous. Come on, do teenagers really talk like that?
I think by far the best character in the books at the moment is Aphrodite and I did not think I would say that after book one!

So come on guys, get back on track and round this series up. Isn't it better to finish on a high than drag it out until we all walk away?

True Blood Season 1 (HBO) [DVD] [2009]
True Blood Season 1 (HBO) [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Anna Paquin
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

1.0 out of 5 stars Big....no HUGE disapointment, 30 Nov. 2009
I am so glad I am not the only person who was disapointed in this show.

I have read the books and enjoyed them, followed the hype until the show started, watched the first episode to the end and thought...."huh, what the heck was that all about?" The whole thing was sleazy and uncomfortable to watch.

The accents drove me crackers. Do they really speak like that in the south? I have been to New Orleans and I did not notice the annoying drawl.

None of the characters were likable, or particularly interesting. Oh and when I read the books, I don't remember any character called "Sucky"!!!

I gave up after the third episode.

The only good thing going for this show is the title music and that is what my one star is for.

Covet: Number 1 in series (Fallen Angels)
Covet: Number 1 in series (Fallen Angels)
by J. R. Ward

3.0 out of 5 stars If this book were a colour, it would be beige., 14 Oct. 2009
I really enjoy Ward's writing and eagerly wait for each new Black Dagger release and with the exception of Phury's story I have not been disapointed.

When I heard Ward was writting a new series I had mixed feelings. I did not want attention taken from the Brotherhood, but I also looked forward to what else she would come up with, and the idea of fallen angels was intriguing.

Unfortunately this fell a bit flat.

I found I could not engage with the chatacters and none of them had qualities that made me want them to win or lose. To be honest, I did not care.

Everyone is far to excepting of demons and angels. We do not really get inside the head of the stalker to know his back ground. The heroine is a prostitute and even she admits there were so many other things she could have done. Jim, who is the main hero of the book has committed many crimes under goverment instruction in his life, but even they are brushed over with the standard "if I tell you have will have to kill you" excuse. Does that mean the reader as well? There was just no real emotion coming from anyone... except maybe Dog. (Yep, he is a dog!)

Maybe with the following books more will get explained, I don't know. I have given it three stars as the writing style is fast paced and easy to read and the hope the follow up will be better.

Bitter Moon II: Triane's Son Reigning
Bitter Moon II: Triane's Son Reigning
by Amy Lane

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep the tissues to hand., 13 Oct. 2009
I discovered Amy's work while hunting for a book in Smiths (black cover, white chess piece, need I say more?) and another customer asked if I had read Amy Lane. "No" was my reply and I promptly hit my mother in law up for a piece of paper and a pen to jot down the name.

She has since gone onto be in my top five authors.

As with the other reviewers I agree, you cannot read Bitter Moon II alone, it is one story split over two books,(Bitter Moon I & II) and at first view, it seems a lot of pages to get through. But oh, it is so worth it.
Some books you read and some you live. I was in the Goddess ghetto with Torrant and Aylan. I stood on the building site and gasped with them when they realised what Rath was building. I cried with them as love ones left for a better place.

Amy Lane is self published, therefore does not have the backing of big publishing houses to promote her work, so I encourage all of you reading this review to buy her books and find out for yourselves.

Slave to Sensation (Berkley Sensation)
Slave to Sensation (Berkley Sensation)
by Nalini Singh
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars A well written story., 2 Oct. 2006
I read this book within twenty four hours as I found the storyline gripping. I enjoy a tale that can make me laugh or cry and this one did both. If there were any faults I would say the villan was a bit predictable and the PsyNet explainations did get a bit complicated, but I am ready and eager for the next book in the series.

Claiming His Christmas Bride (Mills and Boon Modern)
Claiming His Christmas Bride (Mills and Boon Modern)
by Carole Mortimer

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time or money, 5 Dec. 2004
Carole Mortimer used to write some really good stories and it is for this reason only I have bought her books over the last five years or so, thinking that another gem will appear. I have finally given up.
This latest book has to be the most boring, annoying, unromantic bunch of words I have read. It is not a nice thing to say, but I think Ms Mortimer has gotten lazy.
The male lead (I cannot call him the hero) is one dimensional and the female is insipid.
The storyline is the old - Man see woman.
Man jumps to conclusion about woman.
Woman is too pathetic to tell man to shut up and let her explain.
Man and woman spend whole book trading insults. Then 'ta da' in the last five pages they are in love with each other.
I really think Mills and Boon need to look at the manuscripts their long time authors submit and if they are a load of rubbish, as this one clearly was, don't publish it.
With such websites as Amazon, I am able to get books by really good authors such as Catherine Anderson and Linda Howard and there for buy Mills and Boon less and less. If they do not pull their socks up and start printing good, readable stories I am afraid they will be a publishing dinosaur and become extinct.

Emma's Secret
Emma's Secret
by Barbara Taylor Bradford

1.0 out of 5 stars A big Disapointment, 31 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Emma's Secret (Hardcover)
This is a book that did not need to be written. I found the story very flimsy, pointless and to use a word from one of the authors other books about Emma Harte, no 'substance'. I watched a TV interview when Ms Taylor Bradford was promoting this book and she said it was the result of fan letters asking to hear more about Emma. She should have ignored the letters.
There was not enough focus on one character or situation for me to care about any of the characters. And the big build up to a show down between Emma and an old nemises fizzled away to nothing.
Apart from the lack of plot, I found the writting itself really annoying. At times it felt a very small step from books teaching children to read. Here is an example.... Emma said she met Winston Churchill and she was asked when and where. Her answer was... "I met him last Sunday, September the eighth... only four days ago, to be precise." One of these answers would have been fine and the fact this kind of grammer is repeated throughout the book is very frustrating.
If you feel you still really want to read this book, I would wait until it is out in paperback so you won't feel you have wasted your money.

Heart of the Sea (Irish Trilogy)
Heart of the Sea (Irish Trilogy)
by Nora Roberts
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her most exciting book, 3 Jan. 2001
I have read most of Roberts books and usually find her trioligies some of her better work, but with this final chapter of her latest Irish setting I was sadly dissapointed. It took me a long time to actually like the heroine. Because her love of money was discussed so much, so early, for the rest of the book it made me wonder if she did love the hero for himself. I got the feeling the story was written too fast with not enough plot to it, after the first two books Roberts seems to have run out of steam. In fact as I sit here writting this review, I find it very difficult to remember a plot (and I only read the book 2 weeks ago). It won't put me off reading another Nora Roberts book though, as an average story for her is better than some other writers best efforts.

Page: 1 | 2