Profile for Sorel > Reviews

Content by Sorel

Sorel (Highlands, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Sebastian: The Complete Series (Knights to Remember Book 1)
Sebastian: The Complete Series (Knights to Remember Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 29 Dec. 2015
I have only recently discovered Ms Colville's books with her Manchester Menage series, but I am already a huge fan. The stories are fast paced and the writing style a joy to read.
I fell in love with both Sebastian and Robert in the first few chapters and had a great time following their journey so far.
The scene in the restaurant meeting Roberts parents for the first time was an absolute gem. My family jumped at my sudden bark of laughter.
I look forward to reading more about these two men and will have a look at some of the authors other work.

A Fortunate Blizzard
A Fortunate Blizzard

5.0 out of 5 stars Great short story., 22 Dec. 2015
This is one of those books that tears you to shreds and then slowly puts you back together. I loved both main characters and was so glad they got their happy ever after. A great romantic story and worth your time to read it.

Dom of Ages (Collars and Cuffs Book 7)
Dom of Ages (Collars and Cuffs Book 7)

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful story., 21 Dec. 2015
This book had me in tears from the first page. Jarod totally stole my heart and getting to see Peter bloom a little more was beautiful.
I have enjoyed this series so far and look forward to the next book.

Forever Us (Forever Trilogy, #3)
Forever Us (Forever Trilogy, #3)

1.0 out of 5 stars Bored now..., 26 Mar. 2015
I would love to know what all the 5 star reviewers were reading. I have given up on this book as it is such a struggle. The plot is all over the place with every cliche going. The writing is amateurish and the story so predictable it became a chore to read. I am 95% through the book and really don't give two hoots about a single character.

The Next Always: Book 1 of the Inn at Boonsboro Trilogy
The Next Always: Book 1 of the Inn at Boonsboro Trilogy
by Nora Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars A clever piece of advertising!, 7 Nov. 2011
I don't mind paying £6.99 to download a good book on my Kindle and Nora Roberts usually deliveres. I do, however, begrudge paying £6.99 for a hotel brochure.
The storyline with this book seems incidental, the hotel is the "wanna be" star. Room discriptions go into more detail than we really need to know. Mini sub plots on tiles and fencing, I am sure were all very important to Ms Roberts at the time, but really are not needed.
I am sure I am not the only one who has now visited the Boonsboro Inn website and had a peek around. Looked at the pictures of the rooms and compared them too the book. Looked at the tarriff and decided "Nope, I can't afford it". But, I am equally sure there are many more who can and will go stay in Nora's hotel on the back of this book.
So, as a story, it's okay. As a clever piece of advertising, it is ingenious!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2012 5:15 PM BST

Hunted: 5/6 (House of Night)
Hunted: 5/6 (House of Night)
by Kristin Cast

3.0 out of 5 stars Starting to struggle!, 1 Dec. 2009
I have been enjoying this series of books. I find PC and Kristin's style of writting fast paced and easy to read.

But with book five I am really starting to struggle. I find myself yelling at Zoey.."JUST PICK ONE!!!" She keeps refering to herself as a 'ho' and I am begining to agree. To have feeling for so many different boys/men in the space of a few weeks is getting beyond belief.

I am on page 207 and after racing through books 1-4 in four days, this one is becoming a little bit too much effort. When you get to the stage where you are wishing the heroine did get killed... just to shut up her moaning, it may be time to leave the series behind, which is a shame as book six is in the post.

As for the twins, they make me feel a bit nauseous. Come on, do teenagers really talk like that?
I think by far the best character in the books at the moment is Aphrodite and I did not think I would say that after book one!

So come on guys, get back on track and round this series up. Isn't it better to finish on a high than drag it out until we all walk away?

True Blood Season 1 (HBO) [DVD] [2009]
True Blood Season 1 (HBO) [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Anna Paquin

1.0 out of 5 stars Big....no HUGE disapointment, 30 Nov. 2009
I am so glad I am not the only person who was disapointed in this show.

I have read the books and enjoyed them, followed the hype until the show started, watched the first episode to the end and thought...."huh, what the heck was that all about?" The whole thing was sleazy and uncomfortable to watch.

The accents drove me crackers. Do they really speak like that in the south? I have been to New Orleans and I did not notice the annoying drawl.

None of the characters were likable, or particularly interesting. Oh and when I read the books, I don't remember any character called "Sucky"!!!

I gave up after the third episode.

The only good thing going for this show is the title music and that is what my one star is for.

Covet: Number 1 in series (Fallen Angels)
Covet: Number 1 in series (Fallen Angels)
by J. R. Ward

3.0 out of 5 stars If this book were a colour, it would be beige., 14 Oct. 2009
I really enjoy Ward's writing and eagerly wait for each new Black Dagger release and with the exception of Phury's story I have not been disapointed.

When I heard Ward was writting a new series I had mixed feelings. I did not want attention taken from the Brotherhood, but I also looked forward to what else she would come up with, and the idea of fallen angels was intriguing.

Unfortunately this fell a bit flat.

I found I could not engage with the chatacters and none of them had qualities that made me want them to win or lose. To be honest, I did not care.

Everyone is far to excepting of demons and angels. We do not really get inside the head of the stalker to know his back ground. The heroine is a prostitute and even she admits there were so many other things she could have done. Jim, who is the main hero of the book has committed many crimes under goverment instruction in his life, but even they are brushed over with the standard "if I tell you have will have to kill you" excuse. Does that mean the reader as well? There was just no real emotion coming from anyone... except maybe Dog. (Yep, he is a dog!)

Maybe with the following books more will get explained, I don't know. I have given it three stars as the writing style is fast paced and easy to read and the hope the follow up will be better.

Bitter Moon II: Triane's Son Reigning
Bitter Moon II: Triane's Son Reigning
by Amy Lane

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep the tissues to hand., 13 Oct. 2009
I discovered Amy's work while hunting for a book in Smiths (black cover, white chess piece, need I say more?) and another customer asked if I had read Amy Lane. "No" was my reply and I promptly hit my mother in law up for a piece of paper and a pen to jot down the name.

She has since gone onto be in my top five authors.

As with the other reviewers I agree, you cannot read Bitter Moon II alone, it is one story split over two books,(Bitter Moon I & II) and at first view, it seems a lot of pages to get through. But oh, it is so worth it.
Some books you read and some you live. I was in the Goddess ghetto with Torrant and Aylan. I stood on the building site and gasped with them when they realised what Rath was building. I cried with them as love ones left for a better place.

Amy Lane is self published, therefore does not have the backing of big publishing houses to promote her work, so I encourage all of you reading this review to buy her books and find out for yourselves.

Slave to Sensation (Berkley Sensation)
Slave to Sensation (Berkley Sensation)
by Nalini Singh
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars A well written story., 2 Oct. 2006
I read this book within twenty four hours as I found the storyline gripping. I enjoy a tale that can make me laugh or cry and this one did both. If there were any faults I would say the villan was a bit predictable and the PsyNet explainations did get a bit complicated, but I am ready and eager for the next book in the series.

Page: 1 | 2