Profile for Mrs. R. A. Fuller > Reviews

Content by Mrs. R. A. Fuller

Mrs. R. A. Fuller "Ann Fuller" (Pinner UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Luke: The Book of Blessings and Woes
Luke: The Book of Blessings and Woes
by Megan McKenna

5.0 out of 5 stars Luke's Beatitudes, 4 Nov 2014
Really helpful as I was preaching on the Beatitudes. Megan McKenna contrasts Luke's blessings and woes with the more familiar blessings in Matthew. She sets them in their context and places Jesus firmly in the tradition of Old (Hebrew) Testament prophets speaking of God's care for the poor and humble and concern for social justice.

DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Provence & the Cote d'Azur
DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Provence & the Cote d'Azur
by Robin Gauldie

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably my fault as I should have read the reviews ..., 4 Nov 2014
Probably my fault as I should have read the reviews and known what to expect.Also the clue is in the title -Top Ten.
The book is well produced and attractive to look at .It is smaller than the standard DK guides and so easier to carry about.
But because of that it is not as comprehensive and lacked the more in depth coverage and photographs of the classic guidebooks

Scars Upon My Heart: Women's Poetry and Verse of the First World War
Scars Upon My Heart: Women's Poetry and Verse of the First World War
by Catherine Reilly

5.0 out of 5 stars Scars upon my heart, 7 Oct 2014
Recommended by a friend whose copy I borrowed before buying my own.
I was leading a service about God and World War 1 and found it useful to have examples of women's poetry, and notes.

Centenary: Words And Music Of The Great War
Centenary: Words And Music Of The Great War

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed these 2 CDs, 29 Aug 2014
I really enjoyed these 2 CDs. Imelda Staunton and Jim Carter read the poems beautifully and combining poems with First World War songs works very well. There are one or two new songs which fit the mood completely . I know very little about folk music but the CDs were recommended by someone who does . I am very glad I bought them .They have been carefully and lovingly put together and I was often moved. The tunes stayed in my head long after listening to them!.

Out in the Dark: Poetry of the First World War in Context and with Basic Notes
Out in the Dark: Poetry of the First World War in Context and with Basic Notes
by David Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, very useful in preparing a church service, 29 Aug 2014
An excellent book , very useful in preparing a church service .There are chapters for different sections of the war with background notes and poems from that period, 7 poets get their own chapter, with poems, context and biographical details. And there are 2 chapters dedicated to women's poetry. There are some maps and photographs. The editor also edits a war poetry site .

Panasonic KX-TG6721EM DECT Cordless Phone
Panasonic KX-TG6721EM DECT Cordless Phone
Offered by DST (UK) LTD Established 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat and useful phone, 16 May 2014
This phone does what I want. It's not too small or too large, not taking up too much space even with the answerphone base.
It took me longer to set up than was suggested in some reviews -but that may be me!Once I got the hang of it entering numbers in the phone book was easy.
The quality of the recording on the answerphone is just about acceptable , though not great.(It's better if I listen on the handset. But then I have to look at the instructions to see what number to key in!)

It's good that the base and handset can be set to ring with different sounds, thus helping to locate the handset.
The instruction book is useful.
Overall I am happy with the purchase.

David & Goliath Darkside Men T-shirt (Large)
David & Goliath Darkside Men T-shirt (Large)

5.0 out of 5 stars David and Goliath T shirt, 17 Nov 2013
Bought for my 13 year old granddaughter to complement a sleeveless pyjama set purchased by her parents -at her request. I have been sent a photo of her wearing it : it looks good and she is happy!

Tallis - Spem in Alium
Tallis - Spem in Alium

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous music, 28 Aug 2012
This review is from: Tallis - Spem in Alium (Audio CD)
I wanted a recording of "Spem in Allium" by Thomas Tallis and browsed reviews before deciding on the version by The Sixteen. I was not disappointed. They make a glorious sound .
The CD is called "Music For Monarchs and Magnates" and as well as "Spem in Allium" there are other lovely pieces, by Tallis, Orlando Gibbons, William Byrd and Thomas Tomkins, some well known but some rearranged specially for this CD. They come from a turbulent time in England's religious history and the mood is sometimes of thanksgiving, sometimes of mourning. Some of the works are in English, some in Latin but the helpful notes give translations as well as background.

Bach: 6 Cello Suites Bwv 1007-1012 - Sony Classical Masters
Bach: 6 Cello Suites Bwv 1007-1012 - Sony Classical Masters

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful music, 27 July 2012
I wanted a recording of the cello suites after hearing an extract on "Pray as you Go". After a lot of research I chose a very reasonably priced recording by the Hungarian soloist Janos Starker. Only downside: no notes. But a bit of internet research will find Janos Starker's notes as well as notes by other soloists. The cello sings like the human voice .

Voices: Chant From Avignon
Voices: Chant From Avignon

5.0 out of 5 stars Gregorian chant- female voices, 20 Mar 2011
A TV programme featured a search for female voices singing Gregorian chant that would be as popular as the male voices on Chant , a CD I also bought. Like the male voices this CD can be listened to as "wallpaper" music or can be listened to with full concentration. Good value.

Page: 1 | 2